• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

Just finished it, what a game. Trying to decide if I have time to play Left behind tonight as I wanna play it in one sitting. Could anyone tell me roughly how long it is and/or equate it to a section from the main game? I like to search everywhere if that makes a difference.

I felt like I was pretty thorough, Left Behind took me 2.5-3 hours. I'd equate it to the
Winter
section of the main game, in terms of length.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
It's about 2-3 hours long so it can be easily done in one sitting. It's so good though, enjoy!

I felt like I was pretty thorough, Left Behind took me 2.5-3 hours. I'd equate it to the
Winter
section of the main game, in terms of length.

Excellent thanks guys. I'll wait until tomorrow so I can really enjoy it.

Sporran

Man, having completed the PS3 version cannot believe how fresh this game still feels for me.

Just reached the
Hotel Basement
you know the part. And even though i know whats coming arrhh fuck that shit so turned it off hahah. Love it.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Man, having completed the PS3 version cannot believe how fresh this game still feels for me.

Just reached the
Hotel Basement
you know the part. And even though i know whats coming arrhh fuck that shit so turned it off hahah. Love it.

That bit was fantastic, this time around I was clued in so just legged it outta there

Raptor

This game has what The Order 1886 says is new in a game, I throwed a molotov and the enemy that was below the deck got burned too from fire that was coming down.

Was glorious.

taizuke

Everytime i look off into the distance and see mountains and forests throughout i try to imagine a LOU/Skyrim hybrid where i'm able to reach those mountains by foot...

Oh man that would be amazing.

Raptor

Everytime i look off into the distance and see mountains and forests throughout i try to imagine a LOU/Skyrim hybrid where i'm able to reach those mountains by foot...

Oh man that would be amazing.

State of Decay was like this and I loved it but it will never coming to PS4 :(

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Finishing this again on PS4 felt great. I really feel like 'Hard' is the lowest difficulty you should play this game at to fully enjoy it. You get enough resources to have a chance in all encounters, but few enough to still make you feel shit for wasting them. This port definitely has some ( mostly graphical ) issues that weren't as noticeable in the more blurry original. [ GENERAL SPOILERS ]
Pop-in when you're riding Callus through the forest was very noticeable and pop-in in general was more noticeable due to the increased resolution. There was also definitely something off in some areas regarding brightness, and that horrible mess that was the 'spore-filled' underground should be patched.

And I still can't help but wonder what the hell went wrong @ Naughty Dog when they made that part. You know what I'm talking about. [ STORY SPOILERS ]

The part with the sniper. Just so many things went wrong there. First, there's the sniper that will know where you are at all times. He happily wastes his shots, shooting cars you're behind or the building you're in without having an actual line of sight to you, which makes no sense in the context of this world. You cannot kill the sniper by shooting him out of his perch for some reason. The sniper will always know where you are and always knows when you're coming. When you scan the room he was in before entering it, you'll see that it is empty, but upon entering, the guy magically appears to force you into a QTE. Only now, all the other Hunters decide to attack for some reason after waiting for a long-ass time, and only now the invincible Molotov-truck comes rolling in. Then you have to sit there with your infinite ammo one-shot-kill rifle and kill a bunch of dudes while you wait for Sam, Ellie and Henry to move their asses. Then, you finally get a shot on the truck, which then completely unnaturally floors it into the nearest building. The building partially collapses and Sam, Ellie and Henry just stand around there for a good few seconds before exclaiming that everything is ok and safe and fine as they slowly start walking towards you, when 'suddenly', they're attacked by Clickers in a very artificially scripted moment. It never matters how fast you shoot the Clickers; Sam always gets bitten. And then, a ton of infected show up from out of nowhere, and Joel just up and leaves this amazing sniper rifle he found. Nothing of this makes sense.

This moment just feels wrong on so many levels. They take away a logical option from you ( can't snipe the sniper ), it has a completely unneeded turret-section ( shooting lots of dudes with the infinite ammo one-shot kill sniper rifle ), it makes no sense in the context of the world and story ( sniper wasting his shots, Joel leaving such a powerful weapon behind, Hunters pouring so much resources into tracking them down and attempting to kill them after they already left their territory ), it uses numerous obvious cheats ( sniper always knows where you are, can't sneak up on sniper, Sam always gets bitten ), it has unfeasible amounts of enemies appearing out of nowhere twice ( Hunters when you get to the sniper rifle and infected when you kill the truck ), and it all just feels so unpolished ( Sam, Ellie and Henry just awkwardly standing around there for a good few seconds after killing the truck ).

This entire section is just is such a dip in quality in an otherwise awesome game. Luckily, the damage is somewhat mitigated because it is sandwiched in between two awesome sections; ice-cream truck, general conversations, scavenging and darting just before it and the shocking deaths of Sam and Henry after it.

Markitron

And I still can't help but wonder what the hell went wrong @ Naughty Dog when they made that part. You know what I'm talking about.

None of the events in that section bothered me at all. It felt like a tense action sequence to me, and really only remember being shot at when I was in his general line of sight or near an open window. I actually enjoyed being able to let loose with the rifle after all the ammo conservation.

It might have bothered me in a lesser game where this kind of sequence didn't feel earned, or if it was repeated 4 or 5 times in an 8 hour game. Once in a 15 hour game is ok with me.

icespide

Banned
just finished the PS4 version man, game is still great

I loooove the
final encounter with the guys in the hospital. you know its basically the end of the game and you've been saving up all these supplies the whole time and you don't have to care about conserving anymore. such an awesome feeling. sure I'll take out this guy with 3 molitovs, why not?

Just had a weird glitch.
Near then end of the game under the free-way, there's meant to be a load of clickers and two bloaters. Nothing has spawned, except the sleeping runners.

Markitron

I loooove the
final encounter with the guys in the hospital. you know its basically the end of the game and you've been saving up all these supplies the whole time and you don't have to care about conserving anymore. such an awesome feeling. sure I'll take out this guy with 3 molitovs, why not?

It's an amazing section when played on survivor difficulty.
Because they are all armed with assault rifles and shotguns, you can't afford to fuck up even 1 encounter with them. Also there are only 2 or 3 checkpoints throughout the entire final section so you have to take it very slow. At one point I checked the pause screen and it hadn't saved in 16 minutes!
Nerve wracking.

Andrew.

Banned

I loooove the

I've never once picked up the
M4

Just such a stupid fuckin weapon to put in there for you to use. I mean I guess it's cool the option is there, but that gun is so "not Joel" to me.

Markitron

M4

Just such a stupid fuckin weapon to put in there for you to use. I mean I guess it's cool the option is there, but that gun is so "not Joel" to me.

Seems like the kind of person that would just use whatever gun he could find

Andrew.

Banned
I just felt weird picking it up. Like these guys needed to suffer more or have more glorious deaths rather than being peppererd up with automatic weapon fire.

Which is why my weapons of choice in that area are mollys, nailbombs and the Diablo....wiith some rifle and shorty action sprinkled in.

Hubb

M4

To me the
flamethrower
is a little more out there. But hey, I use it liberally enough that I wont complain it is there.

Finished the game yesterday, on Normal, and started another play right away on survival.
TLOU is one of my favorites of all time. And that open ending. Ambivalent, yet heart breaking...
Phenomenal writing, intelligent level design, compelling characters, great music and sound, top notch graphics and some of the most enjoyable gameplay mechanics I have come across... Thank you ND for renewing my faith in this medium...just thanks!

Flandy

Apologies is this has been posted, but here's the Angry Joe Review for those interested.

Other Joe is pretty hilarious.

Great review but there's a ton of spoilers >__> Although I guess if you hadn't played the game you would either forget not notice them.

Spoiler
Can't believe he spoiled the playing as Ellie section though. Like that was a huge surprise to me when I played it

kubus

Financial District has taken me around 6 hours to do on grounded /crying
Tell me about it, I just got past that section on Grounded+. Actually this time around it wasn't that bad but the entire Pittsburgh chapter took me 6 hours. Can hardly believe I'm saying this but I was happy to reach both the hotel basement and afterwards the Stalker encounter in the sewers.

Like Bill said: I rather deal with infected than humans, at least they are predictable.

MrS

Banned
Tell me about it, I just got past that section on Grounded+. Actually this time around it wasn't that bad but the entire Pittsburgh chapter took me 6 hours. Can hardly believe I'm saying this but I was happy to reach both the hotel basement and afterwards the Stalker encounter in the sewers.

Like Bill said: I rather deal with infected than humans, at least they are predictable.
I was trying to stealth everybody but it just wasn't happening. Waaay too many enemy respawns. I ended up bowing loads of people, Ellie sniped a few here and there and then just bottling + melee weaponing everybody. I came through that part with only 3 arrows lost so it wasn't too bad in the end, plus I picked up a priceless molotov. Horrible sequence but getting past that part was a 'thank fuck for that!' moment.

Markitron

I can only imagine how difficult the
Tunnel must be on Grounded, the part where you are separated with the other kid. So many infected around and ye can't really predict how or when they will come at you. I had barely enough supplies to get through that on survivor

Random question, but the shiv door trophy didn't pop for me after I opened the last one. I am 100% certain I didn't miss one as I have gotten them all before. This happen to anyone else, did they add a door in the remastered version?

Wait a minute, there is a flamethrower in the game?

tbf its quite easy to miss

Yes, and it's awesome.

This is my face everytime I mow down some of those infected bastards with it:

34408iC64BBD5E28582B59

How come nobody mentions the
Bow
?

Nobody likes it?

I love getting some headshots on some nasty clickers!

I love it, favourite weapon in the game. Then again...it's usually my favourite weapon in any game that has one, lol. Tomb Raider, Far Cry, Crysis, Skyrim.....

Just finished it, 17 hours of pure gaming pleasure. After 30 years plus of gaming, I never experienced so many emotions, questions still play in my mind regarding the end but wow I'm well happy I did it. Great story, solid gameplay and rocking soundtrack. Pity it ended though could have done with another few chapters.

Just finished it, 17 hours of pure gaming pleasure. After 30 years plus of gaming, I never experienced so many emotions, questions still play in my mind regarding the end but wow I'm well happy I did it. Great story, solid gameplay and rocking soundtrack. Pity it ended though could have done with another few chapters.

This was also probably the game that gave me the strongest emotions when it comes to connection with the characters. It also lingered with me for quite some time after I finished it (dat ending !)

Top Bottom