• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

kubus

I can only imagine how difficult the
Tunnel must be on Grounded, the part where you are separated with the other kid. So many infected around and ye can't really predict how or when they will come at you. I had barely enough supplies to get through that on survivor
Actually it isn't that bad, but then again I knew that section was coming so I saved a bunch of ammo for it. The trick is
to stay put where you start and wait for them to come to you. They always attack one by one so I just shotgun them in the face when they're close for a one-shot kill. Some of them even drop Shorty ammo so if you make your shots count you can get by pretty easily! Now, the sniper battle on the other hand... Not looking forward to that :p.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Finished it last night and after repeated attempts at the final level in the
hospital
. After numerous fuckups I eventually found a couple of shortcuts that got me all the way to the end in about 4 minutes and only having to take out 3 guys. That area was a tough one to figure out.

Marvel

could never
Finished it last night and after repeated attempts at the final level in the
hospital
. After numerous fuckups I eventually found a couple of shortcuts that got me all the way to the end in about 4 minutes and only having to take out 3 guys. That area was a tough one to figure out.
You on Grounded ?

The more I play the remaster, the more I'm impressed with it. Like, it looks really fucking good. The new lighting is especially really impressive. And yeah, the 60fps with this game is godly. Luckily my buggy first impressions were mostly likely because I just needed to restart it after installing the game and patch, because I haven't encountered a bug since.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
You on Grounded ?

Survivor. I tapped out of Grounded after the basement battle, I didn't have enough supplies to get me through the next area because I was careless in previous encounters. Gonna try Grounded again, though, it was quite an experience up until that point.

Marvel

could never
Survivor. I tapped out of Grounded after the basement battle, I didn't have enough supplies to get me through the next area because I was careless in previous encounters. Gonna try Grounded again, though, it was quite an experience up until that point.
Oh jesus.

I better be careful then, I'm dreading the basement on this Grounded run.

Oh jesus.

I better be careful then, I'm dreading the basement on this Grounded run.

The basement is simple on higher difficulties,
as soon as you pick up the key card run immediately to the generator, activate it and haul ass up the ramp and to the door. Done, don't even have to take out any enemies. If you get ambushed, circle the area and head for the door.

The back half of the sewers are much more of a threat.

Raptor

The first 5 seconds on that video have me laughing so much jesus fuck, dat brick then punch and the sounds of that dude lols.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
The basement is simple on higher difficulties,
as soon as you pick up the key card run immediately to the generator, activate it and haul ass up the ramp and to the door. Done, don't even have to take out any enemies. If you get ambushed, circle the area and head for the door.

The back half of the sewers are much more of a threat.

I had a lot of problems with the Stalkers there, they aren't very predictable. I used several shells because 2 rushed me and when I got through it I knew I didn't have enough ammo to get through the next encounter so I started the chapter over on lower difficulty. I never thought about straight rushing to the generator, the Stalkers were pretty quick to get in there with me so I always tried dealing with them.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I may ragequit there. I'm going through Grounded now and while it hasn't been too bad. Fuck those checkpoints.

Just run. Be sure to attempt to open the door before you start the generator, otherwise the game will force you to check the door then insert the key card, waisting valuble seconds whilst the infected chase you.

BadHand

I finished it last night and jumped straight back into it with NG+. I don't think I've ever done that before.

I haven't experienced Left Behind yet, but I think I'm going to leave that to the weekend when I can devote my full attention and finish in one sitting.

Raptor

Haha glad you enjoyed. the sound effects make this game.

That dude even had his arms up in a fighting position then said fuck it Im shooting you lol only to have his teeth and brains splattered all over, love it.

I really love the gunplay and general gameplay of this game.

Oh, god.
I started the generator and during those fucking TENSE moments I forgot that you don't actually need to kill the Bloater, or the other infected for that matter, as long as you can make it to the key card door.
God damn tension/music makes it incredibly intense.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Anybody else check out the commentary for the cutscenes? I've been going through some of the early scenes and it seems like Troy, Ashley, and Neil seem to mostly be awkward talking about 'em haha.

Ashley in particular seems to be getting the shortstick in the few scenes I've picked so far, with only a few fleeting side comments ("Uh yeah, I agree").

Barrylad

Neo Member
Can't believe I'm on my sixth playthrough and still seeing new animations and dialog things.

Never heard "dont let it get to your head - let it get to theirs" before. Also never seen the Joel headbutt melee animation to finish a dude off.

Plus, playing on Grounded where guys are tougher, I've noticed when I trigger an animation to smash a dude's head on a desk, Joel lays in like three punches before hand.

Not to mention death animations for Joel like the necksnap if a hunter gets him from behind.

blinkz

I just beat game on grounded mode... Naughty dog you have won my heart with that difficulty.

Surprised I didnt throw a controller whilst playing that.

murgo

Well, I finished my first Remastered playthrough on hard earlier today. Even though I knew the story it still got to me. I think TLOU is now my number one game of all time.

Will do an Easy+ to get all the stuff upgraded and then I'll jump into Grounded. I can't get enough of this game.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I just beat game on grounded mode... Naughty dog you have won my heart with that difficulty.

Surprised I didnt throw a controller whilst playing that.

Whats the main difference between grounded and survivor, is it just supplies and salvage?

vpance

Anybody else check out the commentary for the cutscenes? I've been going through some of the early scenes and it seems like Troy, Ashley, and Neil seem to mostly be awkward talking about 'em haha.

Ashley in particular seems to be getting the shortstick in the few scenes I've picked so far, with only a few fleeting side comments ("Uh yeah, I agree").

Haven't yet but definitely will later. I was hoping they'd do the commentary like how it was done in Chronicles of Riddick: EFBB, and actually have in game commentary and not just for the cutscenes. I'm sure there would've been a ton of cool insight they could've went into for each level.

Raptor

Well, I finished my first Remastered playthrough on hard earlier today. Even though I knew the story it still got to me. I think TLOU is now my number one game of all time.

Will do an Easy+ to get all the stuff upgraded and then I'll jump into Grounded. I can't get enough of this game.

This sounds like a fun run before the hardest one, blasting everything on sight, I will consider it.

Just finished my Grounded play through. I still can't believe how good this game is. I don't care what anyone says, I need The Last of Us 2 and I need it to have Joel and Ellie.

Hmmm, I wonder if I can bang my head in a specific spot and cause the section that contains memories to be damaged, resulting in me being able to experience this game for the "first" time again?

Brb....

I hate everyone who is playing this game for the first time on PS4.

So I just got to a part that autosaved on hard+ and realised I'd missed some really important stuff in a previous section. If I quit and do a chapter select can I continue from there and its still on + mode? One of them is a health upgrade.

molnizzle

Apologies is this has been posted, but here's the Angry Joe Review for those interested.

Other Joe is pretty hilarious.

Entertaining review. Surprised to see Joe give the game so much praise. I don't disagree, but damn.

Spoilery as fuck though. I highly recommend you pass on watching if you haven't completed the game yet.

Some cherry-picked quotes:

Angry Joe said:
This game is freaking undeniably awesome. A well-crafted masterpiece that even holds its own on the next generation. Hell, it's actually the best game on the next generation.

Angry Joe said:
You might try to say it's overhyped, but you'd be fucking wrong.

Angry Joe said:
If you still aren't convinced about how awesome this package is then you have clear fungus growing from your brain. Considering how addictively fun and creative the multiplayer is — alongside this insane value, worth every cent — the Ramastered version has rightfully achieved legendary status.

Angry Joe said:

Raptor

Hmmm, I wonder if I can bang my head in a specific spot and cause the section that contains memories to be damaged, resulting in me being able to experience this game for the "first" time again?

Brb....

I hate everyone who is playing this game for the first time on PS4.

:p

Can you believe me if I say that I enjoy more the next runs on my games?

Because I no longer have the necessity to pay attention to the story and instead focus on pure gameplay, that is when I start to shine and the game itself start to shine too because is when I start to exploit it and have fun killing everything in differnet ways etc.

Of course the first one is the most important in a game like this so history and character centric but since Im a gameplay dude well you know lol.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Finishing this again on PS4 felt great. I really feel like 'Hard' is the lowest difficulty you should play this game at to fully enjoy it. You get enough resources to have a chance in all encounters, but few enough to still make you feel shit for wasting them. This port definitely has some ( mostly graphical ) issues that weren't as noticeable in the more blurry original. [ GENERAL SPOILERS ]
Pop-in when you're riding Callus through the forest was very noticeable and pop-in in general was more noticeable due to the increased resolution. There was also definitely something off in some areas regarding brightness, and that horrible mess that was the 'spore-filled' underground should be patched.

And I still can't help but wonder what the hell went wrong @ Naughty Dog when they made that part. You know what I'm talking about. [ STORY SPOILERS ]

The part with the sniper. Just so many things went wrong there. First, there's the sniper that will know where you are at all times. He happily wastes his shots, shooting cars you're behind or the building you're in without having an actual line of sight to you, which makes no sense in the context of this world. You cannot kill the sniper by shooting him out of his perch for some reason. The sniper will always know where you are and always knows when you're coming. When you scan the room he was in before entering it, you'll see that it is empty, but upon entering, the guy magically appears to force you into a QTE. Only now, all the other Hunters decide to attack for some reason after waiting for a long-ass time, and only now the invincible Molotov-truck comes rolling in. Then you have to sit there with your infinite ammo one-shot-kill rifle and kill a bunch of dudes while you wait for Sam, Ellie and Henry to move their asses. Then, you finally get a shot on the truck, which then completely unnaturally floors it into the nearest building. The building partially collapses and Sam, Ellie and Henry just stand around there for a good few seconds before exclaiming that everything is ok and safe and fine as they slowly start walking towards you, when 'suddenly', they're attacked by Clickers in a very artificially scripted moment. It never matters how fast you shoot the Clickers; Sam always gets bitten. And then, a ton of infected show up from out of nowhere, and Joel just up and leaves this amazing sniper rifle he found. Nothing of this makes sense.

This moment just feels wrong on so many levels. They take away a logical option from you ( can't snipe the sniper ), it has a completely unneeded turret-section ( shooting lots of dudes with the infinite ammo one-shot kill sniper rifle ), it makes no sense in the context of the world and story ( sniper wasting his shots, Joel leaving such a powerful weapon behind, Hunters pouring so much resources into tracking them down and attempting to kill them after they already left their territory ), it uses numerous obvious cheats ( sniper always knows where you are, can't sneak up on sniper, Sam always gets bitten ), it has unfeasible amounts of enemies appearing out of nowhere twice ( Hunters when you get to the sniper rifle and infected when you kill the truck ), and it all just feels so unpolished ( Sam, Ellie and Henry just awkwardly standing around there for a good few seconds after killing the truck ).

This entire section is just is such a dip in quality in an otherwise awesome game. Luckily, the damage is somewhat mitigated because it is sandwiched in between two awesome sections; ice-cream truck, general conversations, scavenging and darting just before it and the shocking deaths of Sam and Henry after it.

Well said, I agree with everything here. That spot feels so gamey, like it was severe out of uncharted and retooled a bit. It's even weirder
after just going through those sewers. You were pretty damn far from the city, but somehow the turret guys still find you, along with a small army. Really odd.

milkham

Anyone have a youtube link or transcription where these other immune people are mentioned?

there are no other immune people.
people are just misreading the files, remembering wrong, or believing joel's lie.
the fireflies did experiments on other people is all.

poodpick

there are no other immune people.
people are just misreading the files, remembering wrong, or believing joel's lie.
the fireflies did experiments on other people is all.

Ah I thought so. Just finished my second playthrough and I thought I missed this recording in the hospital

kubus

So I just got to a part that autosaved on hard+ and realised I'd missed some really important stuff in a previous section. If I quit and do a chapter select can I continue from there and its still on + mode? One of them is a health upgrade.
answered a similar question a few pages back in this post, think it answers yours as well.

kubus

Do you know if the shiv doors work in this way? I opened them all and I didn't get the trophy
No idea :(. Perhaps you could try it out and see if the "Opened locked doors" number changes in the Statistics screen?

Let me know if you find out because that would save me another playthrough :p

Yeah I think max I had was 3 bullets in any long gun and 5 in pistols and you die faster.

I'll elaborate a bit.

Grounded Mode Differences I've noticed:

-Max of two physical hits from any non-clicker to take you out.
-No combat HUD. You can only tell your own health by animation and screen color(red,jelly,hazy) and the only way to check your ammo is to look at your inventory by a quick press of the dpad.
-Items and bullets are even more rare than they were on Survivor, but they are scattered throughout the area or amongst enemies. If you want ammo you may need to stealthily take out enemies to acquire it instead of sneaking past an area you normally would.
-Checkpoints. There are substantially less checkpoints compared to survivor. Be prepared to redo 10-15 mins. worth of stealth again and again if you haven't found the best combat path through a level.
-Enemy A.I. seems to be the same from the other difficulties but the damage they deal from any source(melee,bombs,guns) is substantially increased.

Everything else is more or less the same from Survivor. It's relatively easy as long as you've beaten the game once and can remember to prepare yourself for upcoming encounters. If you don't prepare yourself with items/weapons before a big encounter though, I'd imagine it'd be damn near impossible or at the very least, incredibly frustrating and unfun.

Top Bottom