• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

Raptor

That is only showing your collectibles for your new game. There is a separate save that has a total number of all collectibles you have. If you want to check go into the menu and I believe it is under stats. It should show you a total number of collectibles and that is across all playthroughs.

And it is probably so high for a new game because you keep all toolboxes across playthroughs and all upgrade books.

I don't have pendants, fuck I don't get it :(

Hubb

If you are playing through again you only have to grab the ones you missed. If you follow a guide it is pretty straight forward. You probably missed some in the trees.

Just double check in a guide which are the ones you are missing.

Stoze

You don't have pendants you've acquired from the first playthrough in your stats page? The stats page accumulates all collectibles over all saves, this is what matters. The inventory you access in game only has collectibles you've acquired in that save alone.

I just finished the game and wanted to share my thoughts about the story.

Throughout the game, I always thought Joel as the standard good guy, shooting up the baddies. But right at the end when he (or the player) kills the doctors and kills Marlene, I thought Joel isn’t quite right in the head. In the end, Joel isn’t too different from David. Obviously Joel isn’t a sick pedophile, but when Ellie asks David about eating humans, David mentions he’d do anything to survive.

Likewise, Joel at the end mentions to Ellie to find and reason to survive. Joel is a survivor, and he’s using Ellie as his only reason to keep fighting and stay alive. Had Ellie been conscious and was asked if she was willing to make the sacrifice and undergo the procedure, she would have agreed as she expresses the guilt of Riley’s and Sam’s death. Joel knows this as well but prioritizes Ellie’s well being so he himself can continue to survive, even if that means killing any potential threat. Would Marlene have gone after Ellie if Joel had spared her life? Maybe, maybe not but as Joel mentioned when he first wakes at the Fireflies hospital, that type of call isn’t anyone’s decision. Joel knows right from wrong, but there are no morals when it comes to protecting Ellie.

As a result, Ellie and Joel’s relationship become marred when it began as honest and trusting. The last conversation is definitely open ended. Does Ellie think Joel is lying? Or does does she simply accept Joel’s answer and trust Joel is doing what’s best for her. Quite the bittersweet ending indeed.

Superflat

I just finished the game and wanted to share my thoughts about the story.

Throughout the game, I always thought Joel as the standard good guy, shooting up the baddies. But right at the end when he (or the player) kills the doctors and kills Marlene, I thought Joel isn’t quite right in the head. In the end, Joel isn’t too different from David. Obviously Joel isn’t a sick pedophile, but when Ellie asks David about eating humans, David mentions he’d do anything to survive.

Likewise, Joel at the end mentions to Ellie to find and reason to survive. Joel is a survivor, and he’s using Ellie as his only reason to keep fighting and stay alive. Had Ellie been conscious and was asked if she was willing to make the sacrifice and undergo the procedure, she would have agreed as she expresses the guilt of Riley’s and Sam’s death. Joel knows this as well but prioritizes Ellie’s well being so he himself can continue to survive, even if that means killing any potential threat. Would Marlene have gone after Ellie if Joel had spared her life? Maybe, maybe not but as Joel mentioned when he first wakes at the Fireflies hospital, that type of call isn’t anyone’s decision. Joel knows right from wrong, but there are no morals when it comes to protecting Ellie.

As a result, Ellie and Joel’s relationship become marred when it began as honest and trusting. The last conversation is definitely open ended. Does Ellie think Joel is lying? Or does does she simply accept Joel’s answer and trust Joel is doing what’s best for her. Quite the bittersweet ending indeed.

Yeah, it's very
grey. It's easy to say Joel is the monster in all this when he has so much baggage, but I wonder what it would be like if the situation was reversed. Obviously we see Ellie fight tooth and nail for the sake of Joel in Winter, but it was easier to hate her opposition because, well, they were weird cultist cannibals.

What would Ellie have done if Joel was on that operating table? Would she have accepted it and walked away or would she have done the same thing? Depending on your answer, I think that is where the split between those who believe Ellie is complicit with the lie and those who believe Ellie feels ultimately betrayed by the lie, stand.

Just beat the game for my 2nd time on survivor. Played it on ps3 back in October on hard with listen mode. Survivor is definitely where it's meant to be played for me. Every encounter was so tense and the sense of victory was the best I've ever felt in a game. I'll be doing grounded next for sure. Now on to some thoughts

The second time through I tried to really focus on Joel and how he was acting. The end conversations and confrontations I tried to see if he had moments of "Oh god what have I done?" and you almost kind of get glances of that. Almost sort of an adrenaline kicks in of I must save her!! because he's been doing it so long. Maybe he didn't even want to think about the consequences it may have. When ellie confronts him he doesn't seem to be bothered by it but he is real good at blocking things in his head. I don't know just some thoughts I still go back and forth and all over with the ending and I love it.

Also.. I see a lot of people complaining about "puzzles" and I'm very confused by that. Did people go in and expect a game to not have game elements in it? You have to break up the action and tense moments here and there even if only for a short bit. More importantly.. I think they serve a real good purpose in spring when Joel is waiting to give ellie a boost up to get the ladder. We've become so complacent by that time with that routine just as like Joel has. When you see him look over at her you realize just how much she was effected by the winter events... It's pretty heartbreaking really.

psychotron

Last night....
On my Grounded run, I was able to stealth my way through the entire lakeside resort outdoors section. Holy shit did that feel good. Now I need to deal with all the guys inside that I think I have no choice but to fight. They seem to know where I am right from the start.

Raptor

So this is what it looks:

66cFXWk.jpg

rUgqJJV.jpg

Easy + is super fun, I mean blasting fools left and right, pure headshots, oh my..Im just waiting to get the damn Shoty and the Shorty god damn!!

As for the ending:

Yes Joel is sick, but not the bad kind of sick just the "I have issues and I will not let you die ever for any reason" type, if you ask me I would have done the fucking same and I don't care whatever someone thinks, why? because I do too have a daughter and the sentiment of revenge against those motherfukers that were suposed to protect them killed his daughter so of course he would had unleashed his wrath against them no matter what and he would not let that poor girl die sacrifising for the human race that is more fucked up than them, canibals, people killing left and right for the wrong reasons, etc.

Fuck them, if there is Ellie, sure as hell there is others immune too in the world and if there is anyone left then humanity is fucking lost.

So be it, game is the greatest game I have ever played in all aspects, is my game of this year as my GOAT.

:)

kubus

Easy + is super fun, I mean blasting fools left and right, pure headshots, oh my..Im just waiting to get the damn Shoty and the Shorty god damn!!
I know what you mean! After two frustrating Grounded playthroughs it was amazing to unwind on Easy+. I just ran through every area blasting everyone and everything to pieces. Bill couldn't even finish his "so try not to make a sound" line at the school as I was already running ahead punching those fuckers to death.

Felt so good.

As for the ending:

Yes Joel is sick, but not the bad kind of sick just the "I have issues and I will not let you die ever for any reason" type, if you ask me I would have done the fucking same and I don't care whatever someone thinks, why? because I do too have a daughter and the sentiment of revenge against those motherfukers that were suposed to protect them killed his daughter so of course he would had unleashed his wrath against them no matter what and he would not let that poor girl die sacrifising for the human race that is more fucked up than them, canibals, people killing left and right for the wrong reasons, etc.

Fuck them, if there is Ellie, sure as hell there is others immune too in the world and if there is anyone left then humanity is fucking lost.

It's also important to remember when
Joel tells Ellie that he has been a participant of both sides post-infection (this comes right after the fight in the convenience store when they crash the truck). Therefore, he has been as violent, selfish, and cruel in the past as he seems to be towards the end of the game.

It's kind of a re-emerging of those suvival characteristics that he had tamed after being with Tess (I presume). When his loved when is about to die, it kicks into gear and it's just another layer of Joel that has existed for years.

Raptor

It's also important to remember when
Joel tells Ellie that he has been a participant of both sides post-infection (this comes right after the fight in the convenience store when they crash the truck). Therefore, he has been as violent, selfish, and cruel in the past as he seems to be towards the end of the game.

It's kind of a re-emerging of those suvival characteristics that he had tamed after being with Tess (I presume). When his loved when is about to die, it kicks into gear and it's just another layer of Joel that has existed for years.
Yes and is a survivor protector animal instict that IMO is something that is worth to have, what a great game.

Is there any printable collectible guide complete with conversations, doors, etc the whole deal, that you know of?

The ones I found are either videos or images, I want something printable lol.

Yes and is a survivor protector animal instict that IMO is something that is worth to have, what a great game.

Is there any printable collectible guide complete with conversations, doors, etc the whole deal, that you know of?

Try this:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/652686-the-last-of-us/faqs/67225

Might not be the whole shabang, but it's print!

kubus

I used this one. Has all collectibles, conversations, toolboxes and shiv doors. In text!

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/...rs-optional-conversations-joke-locations.html

Real4Life

Neo Member
Finished it yesterday. What a stunning achievement by Naughty Dog. One of the best games I've ever played. By the time I was
in front of the doctors at the end, I wanted to shoot every one of those motherf*ckers!
Haha!

Fantastic game!

Raptor

Try this:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/652686-the-last-of-us/faqs/67225

Might not be the whole shabang, but it's print!

I used this one. Has all collectibles, conversations, toolboxes and shiv doors. In text!

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/...rs-optional-conversations-joke-locations.html
Thanks, printed that one.

After this run I will make another run on easy or normal + all relaxed blasting all.

Then the Grounded + serious one.

Then MP.

:)

Smokey

Question: Does the retail version of this game come with any kind of manual or any other document in the case?

Reason I am asking is I just bought the retail disk from Best Buy. The disk was loose and there is no manual or other piece of paper on the left side. So I'm wondering if I got a opened copy that was re shrink wrapped...

Question: Does the retail version of this game come with any kind of manual or any other document in the case?

Reason I am asking is I just bought the retail disk from Best Buy. The disk was loose and there is no manual or other piece of paper on the left side. So I'm wondering if I got a opened copy that was re shrink wrapped...

Mine had nothing but the game as well. I believe it's just packaged that way.

Carcetti

On Joel's nature:

It's funny when you think about complaints about Drake and his killing and contrast it with Joel's. Playing Grounded where killing things is 'realistically hard' compared to normal mode underlines the fact that Joel, while relatively normal-seeming at start and unknown to the citizens who clearly know Tess, is in fact the most dangerous monster of TLOU world when provoked. He murders his way through the military, the hunters, the cannibals, the fireflies and even the infected. At it somehow feels realistic still. Or maybe 'believable' is better word

gunbo13

Sorry to quote your entire post for 2 or 3 things I'd like to address but I'm pretty certain that Ellie does not collect ammunition nor does npcs being in view of enemies cause them to detect you. I think the only time the enemy ai will interact with ellie, bill or whomever is if they have spotted you, the player. I can agree with your last thought concerning TLoU drawing elements from various games however but I don't think that's a flaw. Sure the game doesn't do anything drastically new but it's polished in all areas so that's irrelevant to its quality...In my eyes at least
The Ellie thing was a joke. She does the age old NPC magic hat trick when I'm low on resources.

It's not a knock for a game to borrow elements in a intelligent matter and push them together to form great gameplay. My only high-level criticism is that I wish NG was able to add some of their own ingenuity to accentuate the gameplay. They did such that with Uncharted so I was expecting something that made a similar splash.

This has too be the way it is. If it were ultra realistic the game would be terrible and unplayable.
There is no way this is possibly true. Brain-dead AI is always a damaging concept.
Not really a platforming or puzzle game at all.
A poor argument. PS2 Devil May Cry games may be held in the utmost esteem but that doesn't mean the platforming doesn't completely suck.
Uncharted stealth? Laugh. More like come out guns blazing. LoU stealth earned its own right.
You can play a lot of Uncharted 2 in particular almost exactly how the stealth works in LoU. Less sandbox but it's close.
NPC's don't get you spotted, BUT if the NPC pushes an object into you and it then makes a sound for instance, the enemies will register it.
So the AI does get me spotted then...
Don't remember Ellie picking up any ammo ever.
Ellie hands you ammo along with med kits, etc... Maybe "picking up" is confusing but it was also a joke.

Oni Jazar

I got through the generator on Grounded! :D Without wasting any items or bullets even.

So pissed that I didn't even think to hit the share button and try to share it.

Liamc723

I just started a Grounded+ playthrough and I'm having a lot of problems that I have never had on previous playthroughs. A hell of a lot of texture pop-in, some textures look really bad, far worse than I have ever seen in the game before. My game just completely crashed on me once and sent me back to the home screen, and then death animations seem to be getting cut off half-way through and go to a black screen.

It's really weird, has anyone else experienced this?

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Is it possible to do that shotgun execution move from the old trailers where an enemy is on the ground and you aim a shotgun at them and they scream out noooo!

?

have the shotgun out and get close to and enemy, while your aiming push square it will cause joel to hit the enemy with the butt of his gun do this about 2-3 times then the enemy will go on the floor then you have to options

1. Aim and blow his head off while be begs

2. Or while aiming push square again and you will knock him out with the butt of your gun but more viciously

Hubb

I just started a Grounded+ playthrough and I'm having a lot of problems that I have never had on previous playthroughs. A hell of a lot of texture pop-in, some textures look really bad, far worse than I have ever seen in the game before. My game just completely crashed on me once and sent me back to the home screen, and then death animations seem to be getting cut off half-way through and go to a black screen.

It's really weird, has anyone else experienced this?

The only issue I have noticed on my run was sometimes when I choke an enemy out they'll sometimes teleport from the side of the screen into the proper position. It happens all in an instant.

Sande

Last night....
On my Grounded run, I was able to stealth my way through the entire lakeside resort outdoors section. Holy shit did that feel good. Now I need to deal with all the guys inside that I think I have no choice but to fight. They seem to know where I am right from the start.
All the guys? Aren't there like 2 or 3 tops? Those guys camping in the window will leave after a while so you don't have to kill them.

The only issue I have noticed on my run was sometimes when I choke an enemy out they'll sometimes teleport from the side of the screen into the proper position. It happens all in an instant.
That's normal (but quite rare) on all difficulties and both platforms.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Happened on PS3 as well. It's caused by starting the choke when you're still moving them. If you stop for a split second first it won't happen.

theWB27

Finished my first playthrough last night...then the DLC this morning. Pretty much all of the praise this game has received was justified and then some.

Can't believe the same team that made Uncharted and those loose controls made THIS game and it's controls.

I was gonna do a LTTP thread for complete reactions....but eh.

Oxn

Well I just beat the unremastered version for the first time just now.

I woulda done the same thing Joel did if I was capable.

I started a ng+ off of a file that I got all collectibles...but it is showing that I do not have lvl 5 tools. Anyone know what the deal is? I am already over halfway through the game, so I should have asked earlier, but I dont want to play all the way until I can pick up lvl 5 tools and they might not even be there because of a glitch

foxdvd

FINALLY got my platinum, along with 100% of all the other trophies. That MP got to be a real grind at the end, especially with the matchmaking so messed up.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I really should get this shouldnt I... I said for months that "man I would love if LoU was on PS4, it would be a day 1" and when it finally happened.../fizzle

and I havent even played the game at all, my PS3 was long unplugged when it came out...im an idiot

ZeroX03

Banned
I want to talk about it trophy is still glitched to hell. Couldn't get it on PS3, can't get it on PS4.

Also want to go for the online trophies, but I don't want to grind for that long but I also don't want to be that guy that quits out of every match.

I want to talk about it trophy is still glitched to hell. Couldn't get it on PS3, can't get it on PS4.

Also want to go for the online trophies, but I don't want to grind for that long but I also don't want to be that guy that quits out of every match.
Is it really glitched, though? What is your conversation count? The conversation in the
University about the Firefly symbol can throw people off, if it's not the right symbol
you talk to Ellie about.
Do you have to play 84 matches to get the Hunter or Firefly trophy? 12 weeks x 7 days?
You've got it! That is a lot of matches, for sure. And as others have said, matchmaking sure is jacked. I'll wait minutes before I'll find people to match with, sometimes even longer.

ZeroX03

Banned
Do you have to play 84 matches to get the Hunter or Firefly trophy? 12 weeks x 7 days?

You have to play a minimum of 84 matches...

...but you don't have to complete them. You can leave games as soon as they start to speed up the trophy. But it makes you a bit of a bad sport if you do. Trophy guide.

Is it really glitched, though? What is your conversation count? The conversation in the
University about the Firefly symbol can throw people off, if it's not the right symbol
you talk to Ellie about.

35/37. It won't go up. This is my 4th time through the game. I have not missed a conversation, it's well known that it's glitched.

Sometimes the game is glitched in a good way though. I got the collectible trophies without actually getting all the collectibles.

Raptor

So Netflix got an error and the solution was for Reinitiate the damn PS4 so I did, I lost everything, damn machine got virgin lols, good thing I had my saves on the cloud lol, so I encountered a problem, I know Im seeing teh damn gamma problem lots of poeple had, the weird thing is that if I put my TV to Limited while the PS4 to Full it fixes it, this makes no sense at all.

I will not fix and play it this way, all washed out, very prominent on the Subway level.

35/37. It won't go up. This is my 4th time through the game. I have not missed a conversation, it's well known that it's glitched.

Sometimes the game is glitched in a good way though. I got the collectible trophies without actually getting all the collectibles.
That's a bummer. I wonder how ND will fix this. Yeah, I got the glitched collectibles trophy, as well.

That's a bummer. I wonder how ND will fix this. Yeah, I got the glitched collectibles trophy, as well.

This eact thing happened to me on ps3. But it worked in the end. I had to load up the
winter chapter, then examine all of the items in ellies bag until she makes a comment about them. I had to try this twice, but it worked 2nd time. No idea if it would work on ps4

Curufinwe

You have to play a minimum of 84 matches...

...but you don't have to complete them. You can leave games as soon as they start to speed up the trophy. But it makes you a bit of a bad sport if you do. Trophy guide.

I see, thanks.

I am enjoying multiplayer and would like to get the Hunter gold trophy, but if I get all my people killed I'm not going to start over.

I also wish you could restrict it to the DLC maps since those have individual trophies attached.

psychotron

I'm almost there!!!
On my Grounded run, just cleared the tunnel with multiple bloaters, clickers and stalkers. Unfortunately I had to use a bomb and the molotov I was saving for the final hospital hallway, so I'm nervous as hell about how I'm going to get through that section. Help me Gaf!

ZeroX03

Banned
I am enjoying multiplayer and would like to get the Hunter gold trophy, but if I get all my people killed I'm not going to start over.

I also wish you could restrict it to the DLC maps since those have individual trophies attached.

Just make sure you save your easy goals for the 100% death risk challenges. Things like crafting gifts which are basically impossible to fail. For missions where you gain survivors you might as well pick the tough/impossible ones as they're fairly pointless.

DLC map trophies are so much easier in this one! No deaths was ridiculous.

I'm almost there!!!
On my Grounded run, just cleared the tunnel with multiple bloaters, clickers and stalkers. Unfortunately I had to use a bomb and the molotov I was saving for the final hospital hallway, so I'm nervous as hell about how I'm going to get through that section. Help me Gaf!

I managed to stealth the whole
Tunnel section with the three bloaters, it wa san intense experience creeping passed them all, just needed to take out one runner with an arrow. Hospital hallway isnt too tough, but then i suppose it depends on how many bullets you have

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm almost there!!!

yeah it's possible to
clear the section without alerting anyone if you stick to the very left side. No bloater will ever notice you. Either way, you don't need much for the hospital either, since the first section is easy to stealth. Second part I went all out with the stuff I had left. I only needed 1 molotov for the soldiers guarding the door, but it can be done without. Just try to stealth the first section so that you can waste everyone in the second part.

Top Bottom