• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

You guys were right. The game disc does stop spinning after a while. I can not believe how quiet it is because with my Phat PS3 it would eventually turn in a small hairdryer.

What a difference 1080p, some proper AA and 60fps can be. It is like I am playing a whole new game again. Who cares about the somewhat improved shadows on 30fps. I can not go back to that with this game.

Melchiah

Just got this with the PS4. Do people prefer to play at 30 FPS locked or not?

I played with unlocked framerate, apart from the parts without encounters, where I set the photo mode on to take captures with a better shadow quality. I had to set it off during the encounters, as I accidentally activated it all the time. To tell the truth, I didn't notice much of a difference, but like I said I didn't play any of the encounters with 30fps lock on.

EDIT: Constantly changing the two settings became somewhat annoying during my 20-hour main game playthrough.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Oh don't get me wrong, I loved the denouement. In itself the ending was great, indeed one of the best ever (a human one), but the other posters made it appear there would be a surprise twist.

Yeah I also liked that the story worked
without the use of any twists... The story was told in a simple and effective way. I think that the most of the ending posts refer to how good it gets the longer you think about it, not what happens specifically.

Neil_J_UK

Just finished
the bit where you get attacked by loads of runners/clickers and a bloater as Ellie, with David.
After hearing how hard it was from a lot of people I was expecting the worst, but I actually got stuck for longer in the very first combat section of that chapter.

Beat Grounded last night, found the hardest parts to be the
Ellie forced combat sections. Even the David fight that was literally three melee attacks was a pain. Started Left Behind for the first time afterwards and thankfully Ellie feels less underpowered.

beat this again after playing on ps3 last year. Still awesome.

Question: I had 3 seperate times where a cinema plays with no sound and double the speed. Anyone have this happen? I had to exit the game and go back for it to have sound and be normal.

Hey Raptor! How's it going bud? I have been cheating on TLOU with el Diablo but wanted to check in here. :)

EDIT: Awww, banned. :(

He always did like to push the limits. R.I.P.

#SIMFA

ButchCassidy386

Neo Member
Ahh, now the VERY end makes sense. The ending as a whole was great, I just didn't like the very last scene, until now.

I played at 60 FPS but I did have a few areas where it would get chuggy, if I had my flashlight out in a really dark area. In the sewers.

Beat Grounded last night, found the hardest parts to be the
Ellie forced combat sections. Even the David fight that was literally three melee attacks was a pain. Started Left Behind for the first time afterwards and thankfully Ellie feels less underpowered.

The
David fight was the most frustrating section in the game for me. They did a good job of not giving him a canned set of paths to take, but trying to avoid broken glass and other noise stuff while trying to get the drop on him can be super difficult at times.

Also, kudos again to Nolan North for making David's voice so damn scary during that part. Really drew me in.

Hubb

If I start playing the chapters to find which conversation I missed, will it mess up the progress on my current game?

Just make sure you save (before you go to chapter select) and never overwrite that save. Fuck it, make 2 saves of the same spot so you know you have a backup. Whenever you want to go back to your current game just load that save.

someday

Banned
I've played this on normal twice and hard once. I used the trick to start a survivor+ game. My question, if I melee kill an opponent, does that make the body less likely to drop ammo? I am still early in the game but haven't had a single ammo drop. I still have the original 4 or 5 rounds for the pistol and that is it.

Hubb

I've played this on normal twice and hard once. I used the trick to start a survivor+ game. My question, if I melee kill an opponent, does that make the body less likely to drop ammo? I am still early in the game but haven't had a single ammo drop. I still have the original 4 or 5 rounds for the pistol and that is it.

The game seems to be somewhat "smart", the more ammo you use the more likely it is to drop. If you hoard your ammo it is less likely to drop. I'm not saying they'll start dropping left and right, but they seem to drop the less you have. I don't believe melee kills matters in them dropping or not.

Zoda

Neo Member
I had previously completed the game on Hard and am about to dive into Grounded Plus.. Will there be enough parts to finish upgrading my guns from the previous play through? I finished around 60% of the unlocks.

Hubb

I had previously completed the game on Hard and am about to dive into Grounded Plus.. Will there be enough parts to finish upgrading my guns from the previous play through? I finished around 60% of the unlocks.

I completed my upgrades in two runs, so you should get enough. My second playthrough was also on Grounded plus. It is really going to depend on how many shivs you save for doors. The 50+ parts behind most of the doors will be necessary.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

hmm hard to tell. On Grounded you find even less parts, some of the stashes that used to be behind shiv doors are just gone iirc. I played on hard, survivor +, then grounded + and still had to upgrade the 9mm when I got to grounded +. It's your best bet to focus on the weapons you find late in the game first, so that you can finish up early if you should have to start a third run.

Hubb

hmm hard to tell. On Grounded you find even less parts, some of the stashes that used to be behind shiv doors are just gone iirc. I played on hard, survivor +, then grounded + and still had to upgrade the 9mm when I got to grounded +. It's your best bet to focus on the weapons you find late in the game first, so that you can finish up early if you should have to start a third run.

I opened 9 out of the 13 and they all had 25-50 parts. The other 4 I am not sure of.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Most are reduced but some of the ones behind doors and in safes can be 50. I don't think there's any 100 part pickups on Grounded though.

Yeah you're probably right, I only opened a handful on Grounded. Shiv doors on Grounded are like a cruel joke. You expect the goodies, and itsfuckingnothing.gif

urge26

Everything about this game is a fucking masterpiece.... 3/4 of the way through hard right now (it's difficult to devote huge amounts of time to a game when you have children/job/life). Realize hard isn't the holy grail, but it makes a big difference from the first time I beat it on normal. Foraging for anything you can find to level up, the stealth elements, the god damn satisfaction you get with moving through a level. And I'm not even touching the fact it's the best story I've ever played in a game, or touching the multiplayer element.

If there is a Last Of Us 2, or Savage Starlight the only thing I could ask is more rpg/crafting elements to the game..... but god damn, the remastered makes owning a ps4 worth it.

KevinG

So I've made it about half way through Left Behind (first time, played just over an hour and I've been told it's only a couple hours long). I'm just not feeling motivated to finish it. Is the second half more engaging than the first?

Beat it on Hard last week(already beat it on Normal on PS3). I love everything about this game. Only thing is I found it rather easy on Hard, I was always full of ammo and crafting items. But maybe it was having already experienced it on PS3. I'm definitely going to wait a few months than play it again at the highest difficulty.

Thank you ND. Can't wait for a sequel.

urge26

So I've made it about half way through Left Behind (first time, played just over an hour and I've been told it's only a couple hours long). I'm just not feeling motivated to finish it. Is the second half more engaging than the first?

It was worth it in my mind, wasn't long at all... really enjoyed the back story.

urge26

Beat it on Hard last week(already beat it on Normal on PS3). I love everything about this game. Only thing is I found it rather easy on Hard, I was always full of ammo and crafting items. But maybe it was having already experienced it on PS3. I'm definitely going to wait a few months than play it again at the highest difficulty.

Thank you ND. Can't wait for a sequel.

I'm thinking the same thing, but a) you know the game to a certain extent already and b) if your searching every nook and cranny there's been plenty enough to level up. I'm playing things safer, slower and that's been huge.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Just finished my Grounded play-through. The poor A.I. (particularly from you companions) really stood out like a sore thumb here in what is otherwise an amazing game.

The hardest part for me was actually
the Winter stealth sections for Ellie that come AFTER the horde/bloater battle with David. I had very little resources during that portion and I kept getting spotted on the first stealth section when I was trying to saddle across to the boardwalk.

Hubb

Finally 100%'ed the game tonight. It'll probably still be my go to multiplayer on PS4 for awhile yet, and sooner or later I'll probably play through the game again. Not much to say other than Left Behind on survivor was a lot easier than I remembered being. I probably should have played it on grounded.

AmyS

Spent some quality time really playing last night. Never played it on PS3. Really, really enjoying TLoU R -- I keep the framerate unlocked while playing.

I wanted to see what locked 30fps was like so I tried that in both the main game and Left Behind. Switching back and forth a few times. What a difference, and not for the better, so I turn that option off and go right back into playing with a huge smile on my face and it's like

198qj0pvzn5wqgif.gif

Russell

I rented this out the other day but had to stop playing due to the shockingly horrific gamma. In scenes during the first part of the game, that which should be black is a hazy, whitish light grey. The problem is definitely with the game, not my display (9g Pioneer Kuro). As someone who is obsessed with image quality, especially black level, it's really visually offensive. I hope Naughty Dog fixes this.

Bashtee

Reached Winter on grounded after a lot of frustration,
stuck with David now (the part where I can't flee anymore).
I can't agree to those who say that the game was meant to be played like that.

Lack in AI shines really through. Forced encounters where you can't hide, for example
where you meet the humvee for the first time. you can sneak past the first hunters, but if you enter the next building, all of a sudden this one guy comes running at you. Financial District gave me a headache, too. All of a sudden a lot hunters spawned and didn't move. Throwing a brick triggered 4 more hunters from the sides of the spawn point.
Throwing bricks/bottles sometimes doesn't do anything at all.

The game just wasn't made to completly sneak through. Would have been nice if it was, though.

My biggest problem with the game: when Tommy says that the building in the UEC "looks like a giant mirror. Can't miss it."

It looks nothing like a mirror. What's wrong with you, Tommy?

Sh0k

You were absolutely right! Thanks! Now it's only 4 multiplayer trophies and I get the platinum.

Well damn, stuck at 36 out of 37 conversations and I can't find which is the one I missed. Replaying the chapters and triggering all the conversations again, but I have no clue which is the one. I wish that there is a way to tell in the Stats screen which conversation you are missing. Did the one by the University dorms thinking that was the one, but it wasn't.

Neil_J_UK

Well damn, stuck at 36 out of 37 conversations and I can't find which is the one I missed. Replaying the chapters and triggering all the conversations again, but I have no clue which is the one. I wish that there is a way to tell in the Stats screen which conversation you are missing. Did the one by the University dorms thinking that was the one, but it wasn't.

Just got my plat today, and the conversations trophy bugged out for me.

I was following a guide and it missed one in the financial district just before you pull down the ladder and climb up it, there are dead bodies against a wall with a convo trigger.

I went through a second play through intending to get it, then realised I forgot it again just after I went past it and couldn't return. Quite annoyed, I thought 'fuck it' and just triggered the next convo 100% sure I got it on my previous play through, and the trophy popped. Sigh of relief!

Sh0k

Just got my plat today, and the conversations trophy bugged out for me.

I was following a guide and it missed one in the financial district just before you pull down the ladder and climb up it, there are dead bodies against a wall with a convo trigger.

I went through a second play through intending to get it, then realised I forgot it again just after I went past it and couldn't return. Quite annoyed, I thought 'fuck it' and just triggered the next convo 100% sure I got it on my previous play through, and the trophy popped. Sigh of relief!

Nevermind, just got the trophy. I was replaying the chapters all morning, yesterday I was at 35 out of 37 and I remember that I missed one in Tommy's Dam chapter. Did that one yesterday and my count was at 36. Out of frustration I replayed Tommy's Dam chapter right now and it gave me the trophy on the one I did yesterday, weird. Now to get the platinum.

Hubb

Nevermind, just got the trophy. I was replaying the chapters all morning, yesterday I was at 35 out of 37 and I remember that I missed one in Tommy's Dam chapter. Did that one yesterday and my count was at 36. Out of frustration I replayed Tommy's Dam chapter right now and it gave me the trophy on the one I did yesterday, weird. Now to get the platinum.

Yeah there are definitely some issues with trophies still. I had the same issue as you except with shiv doors. I followed a guide to get all 13, got all 13, game says I only have 12/13. So I just replay the chapters with shiv doors and luckily it popped on shiv door #3. A shiv door I know I got.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Is it just me or is the last portion of Left Behind on Grounded the hardest part of the whole game? I have an arrow and three bullets left, and I can't even make it past the first wave of enemies consistently, much less the second.

hew9753

Replaying this on Easy+ to grab all the collectibles I missed after previously playing on Grounded and hooooooly shit is it fun. I'm stocked to max with every weapon and bomb I can craft and I still have so many supplies I can't even pick up most that I find. Ammo is everywhere, enemies do almost no damage...Joel is tearing through levels like The Terminator.

i just got this game. can anyone tell me how far i am, like a percentage estimate? ellie just
killed the guy who was trying to drown me in the hotel, after we got separated.

Top Bottom