• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Remnant |OT| of DON'T LISTEN TO REVIEWERS!

Pooya

I love this game a lot :'( so much to do and it's really challenging, play time you can get out of this game is unreal comparing with FF13/FF13-2.

Yasae

Banned
Yeah, I was begging for it to drop back down to $10 during the entire sale. I couldn't believe that they actually increased the price.
If there's one thing you never do, it's play pricing games like that.

And.. HOLY SHIT $49.99???

fCoUl.gif

I've been playing this game for about 65 hours now. The combat is just so aaaaaryfhgbfddgra awesome! Haha. Seriously. So goddamn fun.

Anyway, I did this last night and it felt good: http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/506889850759504650/973C58CA91871C2B5945974379277B2C4418E3CC/

The first time I tried it I decided
to not use the Cyclops. I made it to the Fiery Gates but he attacked too fast and for too much damage for me to live through it ;( So, big mistake on my part. The second attempt I summoned it right off the bat, haha. And a good thing I learned was that it stays on the field and you can revive it, which I never knew. I actually got extremely pissed when he was killed because I was about to heal him but the Fiery Gates attacked before I could...but then I revived him and all the anger turned into joy.

Holy shit, The Lost battle is fucking awesome. I'm too weak to take it on, but I'm not even mad. I tried it about three times and died somewhat fast, but its attacks... they're so cool. Love the names, too.

I'm at the end of the game now. I'm just finishing up some extra stuff before I go into the point of no return. I'm so glad the PC version has a New Game Plus! And a Hard difficulty. I'm getting excited for a second playthrough and I'm not even done with the first :p

Yasae

Banned
A month or two ago they actually raised the price, lol
Indeed. And I love the game, but there's no chance in hell I'd ever pay over $30 for it. Too many flaws to overlook elsewhere.

Best you guys can hope for is a daily deal (nope) or the holidays again. Grab it quick when it happens. I think it's only been on sale once or twice on steam since it came out.

You guys can buy the physical PC copy as well: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QA2TYS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001T9OC1O/?tag=neogaf0e-20 (which works on US Steam, according to one of the reviews)

It's Steamworks. For that price ($17.95/$14.95), it's not a bad deal for the amount of content in the game. GET IT NOW, PEOPLE. I'm 80 hours in and have yet to beat it, yet I missed stuff anyway! Stuff I'm determined to get once I do a second playthrough thanks to New Game Plus and Hard difficulty :D

I'm torn between finally completing the 360 version, crawling to get the 1000/1000 for several more hours or getting the PC version and start anew.

Turns that I fucked (again) my character development, and I can't learn Cachexia and several other S class Mystic Arts whatever the amount of combats and chained enemies I killed in the last 20 BR and some battles without it are a pain in the ass.

I hate this game but I like it so much too. :(

I'm torn between finally completing the 360 version, crawling to get the 1000/1000 for several more hours or getting the PC version and start anew.

I hate this game but I like it so much too. :(
PC version! The Turbo feature makes it so much better. I had to finally switch the on/off button for Turbo (was shift) because sometimes I'd forget to turn it back on after deactivating it when bringing up the Steam overlay... and the normal speed looked and felt like a craaaaaaaawl.

Just a heads up, but it's $24.99 on Steam right now because of the Square Enix weekend. Great, great game, guys! Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like it will go any lower, since it's not even in the Square Enix Hit Collection, and it went up from $39.99 to $49.99 this past winter sale. So if you're interested, now's about a good a time as any to get it.

Ricker

Just a heads up, but it's $24.99 on Steam right now because of the Square Enix weekend. Great, great game, guys! Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like it will go any lower, since it's not even in the Square Enix Hit Collection, and it went up from $39.99 to $49.99 this past winter sale. So if you're interested, now's about a good a time as any to get it.

It really is a great game,everyone on the fence should get it at that price...some awesome fights and when you get in the groove,with the awesome battle music,it's fun as hell,even though you kinda do the same thing over and over...the 6 Boss battles around the 3/4 mark of the game where awesome as well...

Rufus

So I'm not very far in yet, but are the boss fights supposed to be, well, slot machines? The one with the Fiery Idol for instance I won on my fifth try. My strategy was: pray for it to not use it's strongest abilities twice in a row.

I don't get this game.

MechaX

Welp, I'm giving this another go. I ditched the 360 version (it wasn't so much the slowdown that got me as opposed to the leader limit) now that I have a laptop that can actually run the game demo pretty well. But I missed both steam sales (absolutely fucking ridiculous that it got a price hike) so I ended up picking it up new on Amazon for $14.

Anything I should do for the PC version in particular for the first few starting hours?

I really need to give this game another go on my PC. It's one of the best rpgs you can play this gen in terms of gameplay.

The thread title is perfect

Giran

Are there any mods for this game? Specifically ones that alter game mechanics. I played about 20 hours on my Steam version but many things just irk me. Like the way I have to go about squad weapon upgrades, the game limiting my available commands in battle and the whole BR scaling thing. I enjoy this game otherwise, especially the setting and the fantastic music.

shiroryu

Man, I wish I had picked this game up earlier. The battles are addicting, music is brilliant, playing a JRPG in full HD and PC controls is bliss. Why can't every JRPG come to the PC?

The FF12 influences are really strong here; the artwork, fonts, chaining etc. ; this could've been marketed as an FF spinoff, and I think it would've sold more.

The game does take its time to open up; the opening sequence where you control David for two turns was overwhelming and unnecessary. And Rush is already on the way to being high on the list of annoying JRPG protagonists, though he'll never beat Edge Maverick.

Now that I'm past the tutorial battles, though, it's getting interesting. What's fun about the battles is that the game makes you want to retry them to get better results. Addicting.

A question for TLR-GAF: Does the game randomly choose end rewards, or does it monitor how you played? For example, in the large boss battle with David/Torgal, I let Rush stand by and picked off the support unions while David/Torgal charged the boss. So Rush's union wasn't too damaged, but only got gold as a reward.

Second time round, I had Rush's union charge the boss, and watched in horror as all the enemy unions bumrushed me; was healing/attacking every turn while waiting for David/Torgal to come to Rush's aid. Managed to take out the boss and win the battle, and this time I get a weapon, accessory, and a number of healing herbs. Did the game reward me more because I took on the boss and used up herbs, or is it random?

Yasae

Banned
Man, I wish I had picked this game up earlier. The battles are addicting, music is brilliant, playing a JRPG in full HD and PC controls is bliss. Why can't every JRPG come to the PC?

The FF12 influences are really strong here; the artwork, fonts, chaining etc. ; this could've been marketed as an FF spinoff, and I think it would've sold more.

The game does take its time to open up; the opening sequence where you control David for two turns was overwhelming and unnecessary. And Rush is already on the way to being high on the list of annoying JRPG protagonists, though he'll never beat Edge Maverick.

Now that I'm past the tutorial battles, though, it's getting interesting. What's fun about the battles is that the game makes you want to retry them to get better results. Addicting.

A question for TLR-GAF: Does the game randomly choose end rewards, or does it monitor how you played? For example, in the large boss battle with David/Torgal, I let Rush stand by and picked off the support unions while David/Torgal charged the boss. So Rush's union wasn't too damaged, but only got gold as a reward.

Second time round, I had Rush's union charge the boss, and watched in horror as all the enemy unions bumrushed me; was healing/attacking every turn while waiting for David/Torgal to come to Rush's aid. Managed to take out the boss and win the battle, and this time I get a weapon, accessory, and a number of healing herbs. Did the game reward me more because I took on the boss and used up herbs, or is it random?
Randomized within a set of parameters. The only way it can be improved upon consistently is through linking enemies, though you probably don't want to do that much since it makes your characters underpowered in the end.

shiroryu

Randomized within a set of parameters. The only way it can be improved upon consistently is through linking enemies, though you probably don't want to do that much since it makes your characters underpowered in the end.

Thanks, it'd have been cooler if the game was indeed rewarding you. :p

And I've read things about a high Battle Rank making things unpleasant down the road with some bosses...I'm definitely not grinding, just clearing areas as I go through them. Should I not take on all non-essential encounters?

RS4-

Bah, caved in and got it for PC. Had the 360 version for a while but spent maybe 10-15 hours on it?

Any good PC tweaks or configs?

Self destruct and reinforcements. That was the only annoying things in this game. And also having groups where they could withstand magic damage too was a lesson I should have learned in the beginning of the game...

Nohar

So, I finally discovered this game a few days ago, on PC.

The beginning wasn't really interesting, but once we are able to build our own unions, with the 5 generals of Atlhum joining the rooster for real, the game becomes quite addictive.

The FFXII's influence is quite strong. It took me some time to get used to the battle system. The gameplay in itlsef is very addictive, but I regret that so many things aren't very well explained or just plain hidden (such as the effects of the classes, how to unlock them, how to unlock special formations (God, talk about a "Guide Dang It" moment), what happens exactly when you give some advices to units...). Actually, this is really annoying to have to go look online in order to understand how the gameplay works, since the documentation in-game and in the manual is incredibly scarce. Sure, I get that some mechanics of the game are supposed to be secrets, but it reaches a ridiculous level.

Also, another thing frustrating is the fact that we can't change the accessories of our units (except Rush). I accept the weapon upgrade system, but not being able to choose the accessories ? That's stupid - to put it bluntly. Especially when you take into account the randomness of your allies's requests when it comes to accessories (also, Emma, when I give you an accessory, I really would like you to wear it in your vacant second emplacement, not replace the one you are already using).

About the story... Well, some things I like, some things I don't. One thing is sure : the japanese voices are great (Atsuko Tanaka !).

Overal, despite his defaults, I take a lot of pleasure playing it.

Top Bottom