• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Remnant |OT| of DON'T LISTEN TO REVIEWERS!

Nose Master

Buuuuump. But, I didn't wanna make a LTTP thread, cause I'm not that far in. Really enjoying it thus far, though. Especially if I pretend remnants are True Runes and it's Suikoden 6 :lol

Rpgmonkey

So I finally got around to picking this up (360 version, lol).

I already installed it, while some issues are still noticeable, they don't last particularly long and it isn't really hurting my enjoyment of the game. I really the towns in this game. They remind me a lot of FFXII. Soundtrack is also pretty awesome. I've only been in like three battles and they were basically tutorials, and while it seems to unload a lot of information at once really quickly, I think I can get the hang of it.

Several things about the game's design really do remind me of SaGa games, luckily I'm part of the (apparently small) group of people on GAF that really likes the series, so this is a plus!

It already seems to be on track to become my favorite game out of Square Enix's somewhat small output on consoles, but we'll see how it goes later on.

Anything to keep in mind while playing?

Jonsoncao

Banned
Rpgmonkey said:
So I finally got around to picking this up (360 version, lol).

I already installed it, while some issues are still noticeable, they don't last particularly long and it isn't really hurting my enjoyment of the game. I really the towns in this game. They remind me a lot of FFXII. Soundtrack is also pretty awesome. I've only been in like three battles and they were basically tutorials, and while it seems to unload a lot of information at once really quickly, I think I can get the hang of it.

Several things about the game's design really do remind me of SaGa games, luckily I'm part of the (apparently small) group of people on GAF that really likes the series, so this is a plus!

It already seems to be on track to become my favorite game out of Square Enix's somewhat small output on consoles, but we'll see how it goes later on.

grinding on normal enemies wont do much to your team stats
you ll get to know the awesomeness of the battle system later near the end of disk 1
do get the Ancient Ruins DLC which is free

Rpgmonkey

Jonsoncao said:
grinding on normal enemies wont do much to your team stats
you ll get to know the awesomeness of the battle system later near the end of disk 1
do get the Ancient Ruins DLC which is free

So basically for bosses it's "be prepared or lose"?

And yeah, already went and downloaded all the free DLC they had to offer.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Rpgmonkey said:

A lot of the sidequests are only available on disc 1, so when you start getting the feeling that discs are gon' be switchin' soon you'd best do all the optional stuff you want.

Other than that I can't help you much since I've only played the PC version and whatever specific advice I could give you would likely be hilariously inapplicable.

I so want to finish this game one day. Last time I tried I was trying to do all the sidequests by following a guide and put a LOT of hours into it. Unfotunately the guide failed to mention things you had to do to trigger a certain quest until it was too late to do them :lol I had a minor mental breakdown and then stopped playing.

One day...

ixix

Which quest screwed you up? Was it
the Duke of Ghor
and his
"Check in with me after every other base battle so I can live vicariously through you"
bollocks?

Dude's a bit needy.

ixix said:
Which quest screwed you up? Was it
the Duke of Ghor
and his
"Check in with me after every other base battle so I can live vicariously through you"
bollocks?

Dude's a bit needy.

Actually it was quite a bit earlier than that I think. It was the one you unlock by giving the bottom answer to a set of questions. I think it was a king asking or something? Can't quite remember. I was upset though. I just wanted to see everything the game has to offer is all.

You know what, I want to play this NOW. What's the best sidequest guide available? I just need locations, when to do them and anything you need to do to unlock them noted BEFORE IT IS TOO FUNKING LATE.

ixix

Was it the 3 quests in
Melphina
where you have to choose whether you agree with
Roberto or Ophelia after each one and you unlock a quest by agreeing with Ophelia three times
?

Because on the PC version you don't need to do the quest that you unlock there to get credit for completing them all. It's totally optional.

If you're on the 360 version, my condolences. Having to agree with Dumbass McBloodthirsty is pretty galling.

Either way, this Last Remnant wiki should serve you well.

ixix said:
Was it the 3 quests in
Melphina
where you have to choose whether you agree with
Roberto or Ophelia after each one and you unlock a quest by agreeing with Ophelia three times
?

Because on the PC version you don't need to do the quest that you unlock there to get credit for completing them all. It's totally optional.

If you're on the 360 version, my condolences. Having to agree with Dumbass McBloodthirsty is pretty galling.

Either way, this Last Remnant wiki should serve you well.

Oh for the love of all that is holy, are you kidding me? Well that's a kick in the nuts then. I wish someone had mentioned that when I posted about it at the time.

Ah well, let's get to it. This time, I will see the ending of this cursed game.

ixix

So I take it you're playing the PC version then.

Don't forget to talk to the Duke of Ghor.

Rpgmonkey

Hmm, I just unlocked a new area that isn't relevant to what I'm doing at the moment.

This is starting to feel a lot like the Romancing SaGa games, except I actually know what I'm doing and why I'm doing it. :lol

ixix said:
A lot of the sidequests are only available on disc 1, so when you start getting the feeling that discs are gon' be switchin' soon you'd best do all the optional stuff you want.

Other than that I can't help you much since I've only played the PC version and whatever specific advice I could give you would likely be hilariously inapplicable.

I like doing stuff that isn't relevant to the story, so I've been trying to do whatever sidequests I'm capable of doing. Guess that's a good thing then.

And thanks for posting that wiki, didn't know this game had one. Really useful.

Ratrat

remnant said:
This is a 37 page thread for one game. Yeah it's worth 5 bucks.
I remember something about the game being an unplayable mess without installing, or how superior the pc version is. If its really that bad without installing then yeah, I won't buy it even for 5 bucks.

Monocle

Ratrat said:
I remember something about the game being an unplayable mess without installing, or how superior the pc version is. If its really that bad without installing then yeah, I won't buy it even for 5 bucks.
I bought the 360 version for $30 ,and having played through it twice I would gladly have payed $60. It's a fantastic game. You'd be mad not to pick it up for $5. TLR is somewhat laggy without installing, sure, but it's by no means unplayable.

Ratrat

Monocle said:
I bought the 360 version for $30 ,and having played through it twice I would gladly have payed $60. It's a fantastic game. You'd be mad not to pick it up for $5. TLR is somewhat laggy without installing, sure, but it's by no means unplayable.
Thank you. That's what I was hoping to hear. Been eying it for years and now that I finally have a 360 I was going to pick it up. Awesome.

Sinoox

Banned
I'm incredibly shocked by a lot of your guys responses. I was seriously considering purchasing the game till I played the demo XD

In my opinion the music is atrocious (way too obvious that its MIDI), the dialogue and animations are extremely awkward, and the battle system was flawed because it gave too much power to the npcs which made it feel very disjointed. I also thought that the onslaught of menus you had to go through to go somewhere was ridiculous too, why can't I just walk there myself? It just comes off as really shoddy to me, especially after looking into the reviews I should be ignoring. They say the story isn't really there and that there's tons of grinding. Story is a big deal to me in an JRPG, but the grinding wouldn't had been an issue if the game didn't already bore me.

Only positive thing I can say about it is that the visuals are very nice. The art style is heavily reminiscent to Final Fantasy 12, which is a good thing!

But this is coming from a guy who loved Final Fantasy 13, Star Ocean 4, Nier and Eternal Sonata; many of the JRPGs that people have ripped on all generation for what seems to be no good reason. I myself believe there may have been/be a real unfair bias against Japanese role playing games this generation, but I think in the case of this game, the reviews really hit home. Such a shame too, I would have loved a good JRPG on my PC, but I guess it just aint my cup of tea :/

Ledsen

Sinoox said:
I'm incredibly shocked by a lot of your guys responses. I was seriously considering purchasing the game till I played the demo XD

In my opinion the music is atrocious (way too obvious that its MIDI), the dialogue and animations are extremely awkward, and the battle system was flawed because it gave too much power to the npcs which made it feel very disjointed. I also thought that the onslaught of menus you had to go through to go somewhere was ridiculous too, why can't I just walk there myself? It just comes off as really shoddy to me, especially after looking into the reviews I should be ignoring. They say the story isn't really there and that there's tons of grinding. Story is a big deal to me in an JRPG, but the grinding wouldn't had been an issue if the game didn't already bore me.

Only positive thing I can say about it is that the visuals are very nice. The art style is heavily reminiscent to Final Fantasy 12, which is a good thing!

But this is coming from a guy who loved Final Fantasy 13, Star Ocean 4, Nier and Eternal Sonata; many of the JRPGs that people have ripped on all generation for what seems to be no good reason. I myself believe there may have been/be a real unfair bias against Japanese role playing games this generation, but I think in the case of this game, the reviews really hit home. Such a shame too, I would have loved a good JRPG on my PC, but I guess it just aint my cup of tea :/

There are plenty of good reasons, and people have explained them over and over. If you don't agree, that's fine, but don't act like there's a witch hunt going on for jrpg's when the reality is that most people agree that they've been mostly poor this gen (excluding handhelds).

gar3

Well, now that people are apparently finding the game for $5 perhaps you should give "the real version" a try instead of relying on the demo. Worse comes to worse you could always resell it for the $5 you paid.

As for me, The Last Remnant has not only been the best videogame experience this generation but some of the most fun I've ever had playing a videogame. Good stuff for gamers who enjoy this type of stuff.

Sinoox said:
I was seriously considering purchasing the game till I played the demo XD

Game has a bad demo. :p

Not saying anyone should drop $40 on TLR based solely on semi-anonymous internet say-so, but it really is an excellent game. The battle system works far better in practice during the real game than it does in the demo (where it's largely incomprehensible), the game has tons of exploration (think FFXII), and it has a bevy of enjoyable and intriguing sidequests.

Yasae

Banned
I've played both versions. The PC version has considerable improvements and ratchets the score up 1.5-2 points for me. 360 version was a 6/10 in my experience; PC version 7.5/10, maybe an 8.

If you like the game, the iterative process definitely made it better on the PC. It's the difference between mediocre and good.

BlueMagic

So I started this game today. I'm liking it but I can't help but feel it's going to be one really linear experience (being that I only played for little more than an hour, I hope this is going to change). Is it like that?

Also, is there actually any strategy to the combat system? Will it get more complex in the future? What determines the kinds of actions I can do, is it the AP? (they appear to be randomly selected)

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Flying_Phoenix said:
I'm playing the game on Steam and is there a way to stop the screen tearing?

Its like my TV is ripping time and space sometimes.
The tearing is insane in the game. My eyes were literally hurting during the opening cutscene.

Turn on Vsync, either in the game options or using D3DOverrider.

What blows my mind is that apparently the screen tearing is significantly better in this version. Never been so dumbfounded since I found out that Skies of Arcadia: Legends significantly chipped off the encounter rate from the original.

Htown said:
The tearing is insane in the game. My eyes were literally hurting during the opening cutscene.

Turn on Vsync, either in the game options or using D3DOverrider.

RivaTuner right? Can't figure out how to set it.

Card Boy

Banned
Flying_Phoenix said:
I'm playing the game on Steam and is there a way to stop the screen tearing?

Its like my TV is ripping time and space sometimes.

Find your RushEngine.ini file. It's normally in My Documents\My Games\The last remnant\RushGame\Config.
Change UseVSYNC=FALSE to UseVSYNC=TRUE

http://lastremnant.wikia.com/wiki/PC_Tweaking

You can even change a word to enable equipping of NPC equipment.

Anyways. I started playing this on PC from the Steam sale. Man this game is sooo good. Why the hell does it have a 65? This game is way better than FF13. It deserves something in the 80's at least.

Ok good, this was recently bumped.

I just started the game, and I was told to press RT to initiate battle. This doesn't seem to be working. I will sneak up on an enemy, get close to them, and press RT. All this does is alert the fucking enemy, who then proceeds to run at me and gain initiative.

Is there some trick I missed?

Rpgmonkey

Obsessed said:
Ok good, this was recently bumped.

I just started the game, and I was told to press RT to initiate battle. This doesn't seem to be working. I will sneak up on an enemy, get close to them, and press RT. All this does is alert the fucking enemy, who then proceeds to run at me and gain initiative.

Is there some trick I missed?

The icon above the enemy has to have a red outline, then when you press RT you start a battle.

Skilletor

Seda said:
Since this was bumped...

Best JRPG this gen. This game is awesome.

I bought this recently and the framerate is so horrible I didn't bother playing past the first few battles. It's a shame because it seems like a pretty great battle system.

I'm currently in the process of building a PC and this and The Witcher (1 and 2) are at the top of my list of things to play.

cmoyano

Banned
Sinoox said:

thats ur issue man...u played ff13...to me, that was the biggest dissapointment of the decade...all these games like lost odyssey and last remnant were overshadowed by the crappy ff13.....when in relaity, these two are underrated gems that are at least 10 times better than ff13, specially, without a doubt, lost odyssey.

Combat is so satisfying. I'm just a bit annoyed at the terrible cutscenes, dialogue, and story that get in the way of the amazing combat.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Sinoox said:

This game has the worst demo.

I liked the music a lot, even if it is midi. Dialogue is lame, but mostly inoffensive. (The game does have my favorite RPG cutscene this generation later on, though.)

The battle system isn't "flawed" because it gives power to the NPCs, that's the whole point of the battle system - building squads that kick ass. It's not Final Fantasy where the focus is only on four dudes the whole time. (Well, story wise it is, but not battle wise). You'll have tons of soldiers by the end of the game, with a mixture between randoms you pick up at guilds and actual characters you meet in side quests.

I didn't feel like there was a ton of grinding, though I did have to go grind (by which I mean go do some side quests and explore through a couple "Path" dungeons) to beat this one boss, but that's just because I was an idiot and didn't have anybody with resurrection spells in my army. Protip: use healing magic a lot, even if you don't really feel like you need it.

I actually started playing this recently thanks to the Steam sale!

I have two questions

1) Does the number of people I can bring in to battle ever increase significantly? I am at 9 now.

2) Is it better for each union to have one general and some soldiers or is a party of generals better?

Aeana

ShockingAlberto said:

I have two questions

1) Does the number of people I can bring in to battle ever increase significantly? I am at 9 now.

2) Is it better for each union to have one general and some soldiers or is a party of generals better?
It does increase more.

Also there isn't any reason to use generics in the PC version unless you need a specific ability immediately.

Xilium

ShockingAlberto said:

I have two questions

1. 18 is max if I remember correctly
2. In the 360 version, the max number of leaders you could use was 6. With that removed in the PC version, there isn't much reason to use generics unless you just want a challenge.

Also TLR Wiki. Very useful.

Hmm... I'm not sure if I like the FFII-esque "if you use it it gets stronger" system. The only way for me to get better healing is to use my heal spells right? Sometimes the enemy is defeated before I even get the chance to heal myself.

Xilium

Obsessed said:
Hmm... I'm not sure if I like the FFII-esque "if you use it it gets stronger" system. The only way for me to get better healing is to use my heal spells right? Sometimes the enemy is defeated before I even get the chance to heal myself.
As you progress through the game, you should get plenty of opportunities to level remedies. If not through direct healing, through buff/debuffs and curing status ailments. Unless you are doing a low BR run though, you're likely to start having trouble with the bosses and large enemies (Spiritlords, Dragons, and the like) during the second half of the game.

Is it me, or is this game exactly like Infinite Undiscovery?

Replace
Remnants with the Blessed
, the characters look very similar, and even
the overall fantasy war-battle scheme
is similar.

Seda

Since bumped again....wanted to point out my favorite pieces of the soundtrack.

Gotta start with the battle themes of course. A lot of them

Sword Sparks (outdoor area battle theme)
-Best one in the game, IMO. And it's a normal theme.

The Gates of Hell (mid-game boss)
-I know some people hated this boss....but I loved him. So challenging...unless you know how to beat it.

Struggle Eternal (general event battle/boss theme)

Out of Control
-Starts very similarly to the previous one, but changes soon after.

Quite a few more that I like too.

City Themes

The City of Heroes (Athlum)

Limberlost
(Crookfen)

Then some final themes.

Journey's End
(ending theme w/ lyrics)

Finale

I wish Tsuyoshi Sekito composed more.

And I don't think it's much like IU.

I've been playing this game since the Steam summer sale and am enjoying it immensely, despite some annoying quirks (missed two sidequests, grr!). Anyways, I thought I'd pass along a link to this blog I came across that has some SERIOUSLY helpful information regarding this game, stuff that either isn't on the wiki or is hard to find/hard to understand. This person translated much of the Japanese guide, and really opens up a lot of the hidden stuff in the battle system.

Chapter 1
Chapter 2 pt 1
Chapter 2 pt 2
Chapter 4

Top Bottom