• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Remnant |OT| of DON'T LISTEN TO REVIEWERS!

So yeah I'm at the part where I have to go to the Nest of Eagles to
fight the Conquer's army
. However they're just way too strong.

Am I missing something here? I doubt I just have to grind until I'm strong enough for the fight. I mean I've already sorta been grinding by trying to do sidequests.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Flying_Phoenix said:
How in the fuck do I beat the
boss where you first figure out you have the cyclops!?

It's kind of hard to give good advice without knowing much about your Union composition, but generally speaking:

If you don't have at least 4 Unions on the field, rearrange your dudes so that you do. Try to have at least one character with a resurrection ability (Vivification Herb, Kiss of Life, Hartshorn, et cetera) in each Union. If you don't have enough characters, split them up so as to get as many resurrection-capable Unions as possible. As I recall there are three characters who can be recruited with a resurrection ability already learned before that point in the game, so ideally you should have three rezzing Unions at a minimum.

Once the battle starts, don't engage
The Gates of Hell
. Focus on the minion Unions until they're wiped out. After you
summon Cyclops
he'll rush the boss and Deadlock him. Keep focusing on the small fry until they're wiped out, but prioritize reviving any Unions that go down, even if it means breaking a Deadlock to do so. Once
The Gates of Hell
is the only enemy left on the field you should pretty much have the battle in the bag provided you take your time. Send one Union in to attack each turn, with the other 3 Unions staying out of the fighting, healing
Cyclops
and whichever Union is fighting alongside him, and reviving anyone that goes down.

The important thing to keep in mind is that all of the boss' really dangerous attacks target an area, so the more Unions you have engaging him at once the more damage he's going to be dealing per turn. Keep your guys spread out and you should be able to keep his damage output under control while you slowly whittle away his HP.

Okay so I decided to go back and start doing sidequests as way to get my people stronger.

I managed to get my BR to 35. I fought the boss and only once and he was cake.

And I find out that
I HAVE to FIGHT ANOTHER BOSS ALMOST RIGHT AFTER!?

Thank God I have Autosave on and saved right after.

And now this guy seems tougher.

I tried splitting my unions to 5 instead of my usual 3 but I get whopped even harder.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Keep in mind I don't have a single character that knows ressurection. I didn't even know you could revive members in this game until your post...

ixix

Not being able to revive is probably your single biggest issue at the moment. A character who starts with a resurrection ability is going to be joining your party as part of the story reasonably soon, but one resurrecting character doesn't really cut it.

There should be three characters you can recruit at this point who already have a reviving ability learned. I should probably point out at this point that I've only played the PC version, and so if you're on the 360 this may or may not be accurate.

Anyway the characters with reviving abilities already learned are:

Gabriel - Available in Celapelais. You need to complete two quests from a guy with a funny mustache in the tavern and then he'll become available for recruitment. He's a decent fighter, and he starts with Vivification Herb.

Darien - Available in Elysion. He's the funny looking Qsiti in the tavern with a quest for you. Complete the quest he gives and he'll be available for recruitment. Starts with Vivification Herb, quite a bit of HP, and some decent combat arts, but he's pretty naff in the long run. He's also tremendously annoying. Still, he's useful in the short term so long as you can put up with him.

Gaou - Available in Baaluk. Doesn't require any quests to pick up, just head for the guild and hire him. Really strong, starts with lots of Power Grip sword arts, and knows Hartshorn right off the bat. Great character overall.

There are probably some generic leaders and soldiers that know them too, but I pretty much never use those guys. But if you check you'll probably find at least a couple.

You can also get your current guys to learn some rezzing skills by leveling up some of their arts. The main three to try to learn are, in order from easiest to hardest:

Vivification Herb - By far the easiest to learn. It's the second Herbs ability, so just have any character with Restorative Herb use it a bunch and they'll learn it in short order. This'll be your go-to revival ability for most of the game.

Kiss of Life - This is a high-level Remedies ability. Takes a while to learn, but since Remedies are wonderfully spammable pretty much everybody with the skill tree will learn it eventually. It does take a hefty chunk of AP to cast, though, so keep that in mind when it's the only resurrection ability a Union has.

Hartshorn - The penultimate Lotions ability. Lotions are excruciating to level up. The first Lotions ability, Antivenin, can only be used when Unions are poisoned, so it can't be effectively leveled up without picking your battles carefully and intentionally dragging them out to maximize poison exposure. Fortunately the second Lotions ability, Eye Cream, is a generic healing ability for some inexplicable reason, which increases the speed at which you can level the skill tree up considerably. Still takes a while to learn even after you've cleared the dreaded Antivenin hurdle.

There are two more reviving abilities, Vivification Tincture and Second Chance, but they're higher level arts in Herbs and Remedies, respectively, and essentially function as improved versions of Vivification Herb and Kiss of Life.

ixix said:
Not being able to revive is probably your single biggest issue at the moment. A character who starts with a resurrection ability is going to be joining your party as part of the story reasonably soon, but one resurrecting character doesn't really cut it.

There should be three characters you can recruit at this point who already have a reviving ability learned. I should probably point out at this point that I've only played the PC version, and so if you're on the 360 this may or may not be accurate.

Anyway the characters with reviving abilities already learned are:

Gabriel - Available in Celapelais. You need to complete two quests from a guy with a funny mustache in the tavern and then he'll become available for recruitment. He's a decent fighter, and he starts with Vivification Herb.

Darien - Available in Elysion. He's the funny looking Qsiti in the tavern with a quest for you. Complete the quest he gives and he'll be available for recruitment. Starts with Vivification Herb, quite a bit of HP, and some decent combat arts, but he's pretty naff in the long run. He's also tremendously annoying. Still, he's useful in the short term so long as you can put up with him.

Gaou - Available in Baaluk. Doesn't require any quests to pick up, just head for the guild and hire him. Really strong, starts with lots of Power Grip sword arts, and knows Hartshorn right off the bat. Great character overall.

There are probably some generic leaders and soldiers that know them too, but I pretty much never use those guys. But if you check you'll probably find at least a couple.

You can also get your current guys to learn some rezzing skills by leveling up some of their arts. The main three to try to learn are, in order from easiest to hardest:

Vivification Herb - By far the easiest to learn. It's the second Herbs ability, so just have any character with Restorative Herb use it a bunch and they'll learn it in short order. This'll be your go-to revival ability for most of the game.

Kiss of Life - This is a high-level Remedies ability. Takes a while to learn, but since Remedies are wonderfully spammable pretty much everybody with the skill tree will learn it eventually. It does take a hefty chunk of AP to cast, though, so keep that in mind when it's the only resurrection ability a Union has.

Hartshorn - The penultimate Lotions ability. Lotions are excruciating to level up. The first Lotions ability, Antivenin, can only be used when Unions are poisoned, so it can't be effectively leveled up without picking your battles carefully and intentionally dragging them out to maximize poison exposure. Fortunately the second Lotions ability, Eye Cream, is a generic healing ability for some inexplicable reason, which increases the speed at which you can level the skill tree up considerably. Still takes a while to learn even after you've cleared the dreaded Antivenin hurdle.

There are two more reviving abilities, Vivification Tincture and Second Chance, but they're higher level arts in Herbs and Remedies, respectively, and essentially function as improved versions of Vivification Herb and Kiss of Life.

Thanks. I'll try this.

So yeah I managed to complete a few sidequests and get a person with ressurection on my team. It turns out that I BREEZED through all 3 of the bosses. Not one unit died even once.

I guess I learned my lesson, the party characters MATTER.

That being said, the game is definitely picking up. If the game had a more solid story and less cliches this would be one of the best RPGs of the generation.

ixix

In the long run resurrection abilities are one of the most important things to hoard. Especially if you're planning on fighting the optional bosses which are, with a couple of rather brutal exceptions, gruelingly long battles of attrition.

I've always felt that the second half of the game is significantly better than the first. You get the full complement of 18 characters on the field, your individual characters become more versatile, the characters available for recruitment get a lot better, the sidequests are more interesting, and you get to start fighting the optional bosses. The first half of the game is comparatively limited in scope.

So I undertook a quest in (Nagapur?) that involves me going to a secret ruin labyrith in Dilmoore so that a female warrior can speak to a legendary fighter to improve her fighting skills.

So I get there and eventually reach the bottom. It turns out that the guy trained for so long that he turned into a monster for some reason. So you're suppose to fight all of these bettles until you meet one that is the master guy (though it shows that he's some different type of monster, a ghost). And I figure "Well, I guess I just kill all of these beetle things until he appears", BUT HE DOESN'T. They beetles just keep multiplying once they get low.

What do I have to do?

Rpgmonkey

Flying_Phoenix said:
So I undertook a quest in (Nagapur?) that involves me going to a secret ruin labyrith in Dilmoore so that a female warrior can speak to a legendary fighter to improve her fighting skills.

So I get there and eventually reach the bottom. It turns out that the guy trained for so long that he turned into a monster for some reason. So you're suppose to fight all of these bettles until you meet one that is the master guy (though it shows that he's some different type of monster, a ghost). And I figure "Well, I guess I just kill all of these beetle things until he appears", BUT HE DOESN'T. They beetles just keep multiplying once they get low.

What do I have to do?

I didn't fight anything.

Just kept running around and having the monsters there chase me. Eventually he popped up.

MechaX

Okay, so I'm playing the 360 version and I have a question about Battle Ranks and what-not; so from what I have been led to believe by the GameFAQs boards (which might be a bit extreme here), I should just... not fight random battles ever to avoid being screwed by getting higher battle ranks (and stronger enemies when my stats are not up to snuff)?

charlequin said:
It's just you.
The Last Remnant is actually good.

I dunno. I'm running through disc 2 and I haven't seen much that differentiates this game from Infinite Undiscovery thus far,
i'm expecting David to die sooner or later and for Capell-cough-Rush to take in his footsteps
. This game is much longer than IU, but lacks voicing, something IU reveled in.

Riposte

MechaX said:
Okay, so I'm playing the 360 version and I have a question about Battle Ranks and what-not; so from what I have been led to believe by the GameFAQs boards (which might be a bit extreme here), I should just... not fight random battles ever to avoid being screwed by getting higher battle ranks (and stronger enemies when my stats are not up to snuff)?

You should
play the PC version.

Sorry.

Seda

MechaX said:

Late, but the number one rule to this game:

-Never fight random battles where your morale starts blue.

Simply follow this rule and your stats and battle level should fall into place. Fighting enemies that are too weak for you will inflate your battle level (but not give you many stat-ups)

Eternia

Nora Kisaragi said:
I dunno. I'm running through disc 2 and I haven't seen much that differentiates this game from Infinite Undiscovery thus far,
i'm expecting David to die sooner or later and for Capell-cough-Rush to take in his footsteps
. This game is much longer than IU, but lacks voicing, something IU reveled in.
In terms of story only? Maybe. Everything else is pretty much as far from IU as possible (also better).

Nora Kisaragi said:
I dunno. I'm running through disc 2 and I haven't seen much that differentiates this game from Infinite Undiscovery thus far

If all you have to comment on is the story you are so very, very doing it wrong.

sega4ever

im thinking of playing the pc version of this but i had a question.

is it safe for me to play normally or should i avoid every random encounter? should i avoid side quests too?

i burned out on the 360 version when i restarted because of this, but i think i was able to summon the summoned monster more often which was fun.

Riposte

sega4ever said:
im thinking of playing the pc version of this but i had a question.

is it safe for me to play normally or should i avoid every random encounter? should i avoid side quests too?

i burned out on the 360 version when i restarted because of this, but i think i was able to summon the summoned monster more often which was fun.

You should be fine. Doing sidequests and such is a good idea because you want to find characters and level up so you have revive techniques. That said, you'll likely encounter sidequests which are very hard without revives. (There is also a point of no return for all of quests in the first half the game.)

EDIT: Useful link

http://lastremnant.wikia.com/wiki/Difference_between_Xbox360_and_PC_version

salromano

Didn't know where else to post this, but this seems about right.

Saw some posts on a few Japanese blogs today about The Last Remnant for PlayStation 3 appearing in the release list for some October magazine. But that's about all I got from it. There are scans so I don't think I can post the link, but they're not hard to find if you're familiar with the JP blogoverse.

If anyone can better clarify what these reports are getting at, that'd be great.

Seda

salromano said:
Didn't know where else to post this, but this seems about right.

Saw some posts on a few Japanese blogs today about The Last Remnant for PlayStation 3 appearing in the release list for some October magazine. But that's about all I got from it. There are scans so I don't think I can post the link, but they're not hard to find if you're familiar with the JP blogoverse.

If anyone can better clarify what these reports are getting at, that'd be great.

I would pre-order day one. I've said it several times in this thread already, but this is the best JRPG this gen.

salromano

Seda said:
I would pre-order day one. I've said it several times in this thread already, but this is the best JRPG this gen.

I might pick it up (if it ever does release). I have the X360 version but have never gotten around to playing it. If they release a PS3 version with additional goodies, I might as well pick that one up then.

MechaX

Riposte said:
You should
play the PC version.

Sorry.

As much as I would like to, that really is not an option for me.

Seda said:
Late, but the number one rule to this game:

-Never fight random battles where your morale starts blue.

Simply follow this rule and your stats and battle level should fall into place. Fighting enemies that are too weak for you will inflate your battle level (but not give you many stat-ups)

Can you at least tell when enemies will be more powerful than you before you initiate battle? Regardless, that seems so tremendously backwards. But I guess that comes with the territory of essentially being a spiritual SaGa game.

Levyne

Banned
salromano said:
I might pick it up (if it ever does release). I have the X360 version but have never gotten around to playing it. If they release a PS3 version with additional goodies, I might as well pick that one up then.

It better at least have the PC extras (those 6/7 enemy generals as playable, etc)

Okay, so I finally beat the game. Here are my thoughts.

1: Story-wise,
this is Infinite Undiscovery with character names swapped and some minor tweaks. Even the endings are pretty much 90% similar

2: The game's quite short story-wise. It can take a long time if you do the sidequests but story-wise its pretty quick and linear compared to other notable JRPGs this gen like Lost Odyssey. However, this can be attributed to this game being rushed.
Afterall, the Conqueror was supposed to be playable and have his own story. It was clearly supposed to be longer.

3: This is made by the FF12 devteam but reminds me more of Final Fantasy Tactics. That being said, i'm quite disappointed that there aren't that many large-scale battles in this game, all of them appear at the very end of the game. I would have liked to see battle weapons used such as Ballistas and Catapults in the larger scale battles, but at least we get drawbridges.

4: The story still leaves me with questions, it's an obvious cliffhanger, but even some sidearcs needed closure as a result of the ending.
What happens to Nora after the ending? What happened with the God Emperor? Is Royotia screwed?

5: Where's the Playstation 3 Version? And where's the Sequel?

I hate it when a new IP like this shows up,
gives you a cliffhanger ending
, then is never heard from again. Talk about screwing fans over you JUST MADE. I'm also waiting for Resonance of Fate 2, get to it Tri-Ace.

Nora Kisaragi said:
Afterall, the Conqueror was supposed to be playable and have his own story.

This was never true. It was always a misunderstanding from the way they originally revealed the game.

4: The story still leaves me with questions

how did you play this game through all the way and have nothing to talk about but the story

charlequin said:
how did you play this game through all the way and have nothing to talk about but the story

Pretty sure anything I have to say about the gameplay has already been said before, especially in this thread. But I will note:

Gameplay pros/cons:

*I love the union/leader gameplay. It really adds for a large scale environment. However, it really stinks that your army is limited to roughly 21 units (with summon), whereas the enemy armies can have you face up to 50 units at the same time. If there were a sequel, finding a way to integrate more unions without making the gameplay suffer would be a benefit. Perhaps have a new map-type a "battle map" where multiple battles can take place at once?

*More skills would be appreciated in a sequel, and as I mentioned before, the addition of weapons of war like catapults and ballistas and the like would be nice. Perhaps making it so armies can "ride" monsters? This would make the Beastmasters in some battles even more frightening.

*The enemies were too repetetive. It's as if the entire game you only fight like five enemies types, they just look different. The strategy to fight all of these monster types is the same thing too. Perhaps having different monsters in a "type" (i.e., different types of dragons) vary their strategy a bit? Like, an "assault dragon" or a "support dragon" rather than just "hard dragon" and "easy dragon" as it is right now.

*Voice acting was clearly a problem in this game. Having Piccolo voice the Conqueror made me cringe just as bad as Rush's VA, but everyone else seemed to have a good voice. The only problem is there weren't enough voiced scenes. Once again, a byproduct of this being allegedly rushed by Square Enix.

Technical faults:
*Framerate is a problem. I hear this is fixed in the PC Version, but my xbox version really chugs when there's smoke effects on the screen. Installing the discs helped somewhat.

*This game probably would've played better if it weren't on the Unreal Engine. The UE really hasn't been a good choice for devs this gen.

*Texture popping, it's a direct result of the Unreal Engine as this tends to happen in UE games. Still, they should find a way to fix this.

And, this is more of a personal note,
but I really wanted the flying version of the Lob Omen...

This game is amazing and I love it.

My interest in gaming has dipped quite a bit lately. Even with Xenoblade, I could only manage an hour or two at a time before wanting to do something else. I've been playing TLR pretty much nonstop this weekend (and I was off Friday). Quasi-SaGa indeed. I'll probably post more after I've finished the game.

Is True/Absolute Conqueror as difficult as he seems? I'm on track with quests thus far, but I might leave Things Unchanged as the last thing I do on a separate save file in the event that I hit a brick wall.

So I'm at the part where I have to go to
the Sacred Lands to fight the Conqueror. Its right after I went to the Holy Lands to fight that army after finding out the Conqueror is a remnant (saw that coming from a mile away).

So...where is the
Sacred Lands
? Its not on my map

Mephala

Flying_Phoenix said:
Why wouldn't the game tell me this?
It does. I believe the old guy who randomly knows a lot of things tells you, he has a red ! speech bubble on his head when you walk past him. They don't direct you to him, they just tell you to ask around.

Flying_Phoenix said:
How the hell do I beat
Castanea and that one blond haired purple armor wearing woman in the Sacred Lands
!?!?!?!?
I found the easiest way to get past tough battles like this was to have one of your leaders
summon their remnants into battle. I use Rush and Emmy's the most and both are quite good. Let the summon engage one enemy, send one union to heal it and everyone else to focus on the second target.
Keep your HP up, dedicate a union to healing, possibly jumping to heal allies on the other enemy if things go bad. Make sure each union has a unit who can revive, more than one unit able to do so doesn't hurt. When I defeated
Castanea
the remaining boss went nuts on me, attacking multiple times per turn. If you can wait until it finishes raging otherwise things could get real ugly. If that doesn't work, you can try a team of 3 healing unions though this'll likely drag the fight out a lot longer.

Mephala said:
I found the easiest way to get past tough battles like this was to have one of your leaders
summon their remnants into battle. I use Rush and Emmy's the most and both are quite good. Let the summon engage one enemy, send one union to heal it and everyone else to focus on the second target.
Keep your HP up, dedicate a union to healing, possibly jumping to heal allies on the other enemy if things go bad. Make sure each union has a unit who can revive, more than one unit able to do so doesn't hurt. When I defeated
Castanea
the remaining boss went nuts on me, attacking multiple times per turn. If you can wait until it finishes raging otherwise things could get real ugly. If that doesn't work, you can try a team of 3 healing unions though this'll likely drag the fight out a lot longer.

How can I
Make sure that Rush and Emmy can summon their remnants at the beginning?

Also, they "finish raging"? When? do I just select "stand your ground" and "play by ear until they stop the habit of using Overdrive?

Finally I finally beat the game.

It only took 56 hours.

But man the end was a disappointment. There was no build up at all.

I found this game to be "good", but if they managed to get rid of the cliches, make a better story, polish the pacing, and add more interesting quests and you'd have one of the best RPGs of the generation.

Gvaz

Banned
The story doesn't bother me so far, not as much as the english voice actors. I turned it to japanese and it's not so bad now.

Complaints so far:
- can't modify companions
- quick time events can die, automating them misses some of the time (I don't miss that often manually, but they're too tedious and add pointless interactivity to give you something to do while you watch animations.)
- time control feels a bit weak, it should be usable in combat as well so I can interject orders which would work well in a game like this
- combat feels way too random at times, not enough control over players
- flat linear cooridors too often. Give me some altitude!

Freyjadour said:
I really do agree with the above mentioned sentiment that if the story bothers you, you aren't playing the game correctly.

How am I playing the game incorrectly if I've done pretty much all of the side-quests?

Hey guys, my problem:

8S5jll.jpg

Top is when I go outside into the world or city. The room itself looks fine, but when I get out it's... =(

My graphics card: ATI firegl v5250. It has issues with a lot of new games and the latest official drivers are already pretty old. I'm not an expert but this seems like a driver problem? There's a way to get newer drivers for cards like mine that aren't supported by the manufacturer anymore, so I'll probably try and see if that helps sometime soon (did it before, helped with some games, but made other games that used to be normal, unplayable...). But yea, it's a driver issue isn't it? =(

Did the driver thing but nothing changed. Am I just going to have to accept that it won't work or are there any tricks that can be done? =( I mean it looks normal when I'm inside... And I can still see parts of the world and the characters at times, ugh. Anyone?

Edit:

ZMHWZl.jpg

It's rendering EVERYTHING, and in weird angles I can see everything clear, but why is it showing that stupid shit over everything making it unplayable =/

Edit 2: Caves render perfectly normal too.... Until I go into battle. Then that weird stuff shows up again and you can't see anything clearly.

Edit 3: Mobility modder fixed it, runs great =)

I just got done doing the sidequest battle found in Balterosse (Fire Belly or something) and it was fucking AWESOME. It was so intense. Battles like these are what make me love the game so much.

I'm playing it on Steam at the moment, but I actually had it on 360 (and stopped around the same area), but I knew I'd be getting it on PC eventually so I stopped... yet I only just got it on Steam as a Christmas present :p

Anyway, that battle. OMG. So good. I was Battle Rank 26/27 and had just recruited Caedmon (liking him already). I feel like I was lucky for quite a few parts of it, like dodging a fatal blow (feels good) and having barely learned Vivification Herb on a second Union. I haven't even done the main story much... just sidequests, sidequests, sidequests, haha. Story-wise I'm in Elysion, about to go
into the Temple's dungeon because Rush's parents are there, apparently

I loved this game on 360, even with all the technical problems. On PC, it's just godly for me. 1920x1080 on max settings and it runs so smooth. Maybe I'll look into some NVIDIA Inspector AA when I learn what I'm even supposed to do to force it.

Levyne

Banned
There's a (small) wagon of people here hoping for a sequel/successor. Feel free to hop on if you don't change your mind by end game. :)

Midou

There's a (small) wagon of people here hoping for a sequel/successor. Feel free to hop on if you don't change your mind by end game. :)

Want a sequel/successor so bad, I think TLR remains my favorite at least turn-based RPG this gen. Nothing has felt as intense as some bosses in this game, it's the only RPG where I didn't really care how good or bad the story or characters are, and just enjoyed the rest of it so much. So many towns, so many quests, so many characters, a combat system unlike quite any game.

Levyne

Banned
Want a sequel/successor so bad, I think TLR remains my favorite at least turn-based RPG this gen. Nothing has felt as intense as some bosses in this game, it's the only RPG where I didn't really care how good or bad the story or characters are, and just enjoyed the rest of it so much. So many towns, so many quests, so many characters, a combat system unlike quite any game.

Soundtrack.

So good.

And battles are fun as hell.

Monocle

I love TLR so much. Spotting this thread for the first time in what must be close to a year is all it took to get me craving another playthrough. I think I'll go find out if my junky desktop can run the PC version...

This is how I feel about it as well, and I'm not even that far in. It's definitely one of my favorite turn-based battle systems. Nothing beats Baten Kaitos Origins for me, though <3 But this comes close. I just love seeing a bunch of comrades in a battle...well, a bunch of units. It's great.

Hopefully people don't miss this if it goes on sale on Steam.

Top Bottom