• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Story |OT| Now confirmed worldwide

ajim

The side quests involving
Yurick and Mirania on the ship cannot be skipped, unless I'm mistaken. Dagran will continuously mention they want to talk to you. You might be able to forcefully skip them by choosing negative options when speaking with them but I haven't tried that.

As far as the upgrading goes, the game sort of drops a hint. It's your weapons that are really going to matter, not your armor. That being said, there's nothing wrong with upgrading Heavy Armor. Upgrading Heavy Armor for Zael is generally a good idea. I never found a use for any of the other armor abilities (except the Cloth Armor's faster casting for Mirania). By the end of the game, you should have a lot of money and items necessary to upgrade your armor to the max.

In terms of weapon upgrading, that can border on spoilerish. Try and upgrade weapons with elemental affinities or Reptid/Gurak strengths. Always have a high level anti-Reptid weapon on you if you can. Anything that boosts Slash or Vertical Slash are also helpful.

Finally, in terms of Yurick (again, somewhat spoilerish):
Upgrade the shit out of his Momento Dagger. It is the only weapon he needs and he becomes an absolute beast with it upgraded.
Agree with this. Although, I never found it difficult upgrading weapons - I was always in an abundance of upgrading items (loved playing the Arena/re-doing those red spot battles) and focused on upgrading the latest weapons or weapons I thought looked cool, the stats played a small aspect in what I was using most of the time. Upgrading armour was secondary to upgrading the weapons, but try and get both.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Just started the game today, holy crap you can hold A to fast forward through cut-scenes and dialog!!!! JRPG INNOVATION IS HERE.

Which is kinda funny, because I actually want to watch and listen to everything. So yeah, I just need this feature patched into other RPGs.

ajim

Just started the game today, holy crap you can hold A to fast forward through cut-scenes and dialog!!!! JRPG INNOVATION IS HERE.

Which is kinda funny, because I actually want to watch and listen to everything. So yeah, I just need this feature patched into other RPGs.

Yeah, it's great for your 2nd playthrough.

arit

You can even skip them with pressing a+y. I'd liked to see a pause function though.

ajim

Anyone else have Mirania (<3) just rocking it with the full-bodied invisibility ink? :D

"It's throwing skeletons at us. Should we throw Horace back at it?" - Mirania.

So good.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Mirania is cool but the game doesn't have many classy looking armors that fit her so far, I ended up giving her one of Calista's dresses but it's still not quite right.

GC|Simon

I got the game last week and played it for about three hours. I have a few questions:
- Are there any tips about what should be bought and what not (weapons, etc.)?
- Does it make more sense to upgrade weapons than to buy new one?
- Are sidequests recommended in terms of getting stronger? Or is it possible to beat the game w/o much frustration and w/o completing many sidequests?

Gambit

I got the game last week and played it for about three hours. I have a few questions:
- Are sidequests recommended in terms of getting stronger? Or is it possible to beat the game w/o much frustration and w/o completing many sidequests?

I can only tell you from my own playthrough so far: (close to the end)

- What to buy? nothing. You get enough of everything through chests and battles. Use your money for upgrading.

- Upgrade your weapons, but don't go overboard. I have upgraded many weapons I am no longer using, but you get enough materials to upgrade the new-found weapons as well.

- Sidequest-chapters are recommended, because they are great. In terms of getting stronger summoning circles are all you need. You'll find them frequently before boss-battles. One summon is often one level per character.

Apenheul

I finished the game at 5am in the morning, while playing I didn't even realize it was that late/early. When I finished the game
including the post-epilogue chapters
my characters were about LV60. It's amazing how much of a difference a level means in this game, because at LV58 I felt I had no chance at the final boss. It's definitely not like the SMT series where you may need to grind like 20 levels and find certain demons to be able to defeat a boss. Anyway, my final impressions of this game.

+ The battlesystem is awesome, one of my favorites in any RPG.
+ Mostly great art direction, especially in the later stages of the game. In other areas it tries to look like Gears of War too hard.
+ Great effects and lighting, at times you might confuse it for a PS3 game in standard definition if it weren't for the inconsistency in texture-detail.
+ The pacing of the game is great, there is next to no filler-content.

- The game only lasts for about 20 hours (might be a plus for some people)
- The framerate reminds of GoldenEye 007 on N64 at times.
- Texture-detail inconsistency makes some scenes look very crappy. Bloom resolution is also very low and caves generally look bland.
- Almost a complete lack of exploration except for Lazilus city (this didn't bother me too much personally).
- I didn't give a damn about the story or characters (but the gameplay makes up for this in spades).

Bottom line, it needs a sequel on a more powerful platform (probably Wii-U because afaik the IP is owned by Nintendo) because I want to see the battlesystem being put to use in a game that isn't fighting against the hardware it runs on.

ajim

I'm on my 2nd playthrough right now, so good.

1) I bought a few things along the way - there's no reason not to. Money is easy to come by. You will find good weapons along the way, in sidequests/main story, however, for the times you don't, buying some weapons is helpful. Don't buy armour, it's pointless IMO.

2) Upgrading is a necessity. I have so many fully-upgraded weapons it isn't funny lol. There's no point not to, materials are easy to come by (assuming you're doing the Arena/Sidequests).

3)Sidequests are recommended 100%. They're not just fun, but they're great at developing side-stories, and finding new and rare items (usually awesome weaponss. I recommend spending a bit of time doing as many as you can throughout your mainstory play, they're well worth it. I only missed 2 on my first playthough, but got the major ones and I had no problem beating the game.

And if you're not already - I recommend changing your controls to 'manual' setting, it's so much more fun and better to play.

thefro

http://www.vigigames.com/?p=2555&cpage=1#comment-707

Really good review from Vigigames, that does a great job of answering the criticisms about this game.

There are a number of common criticisms of The Last Story that perhaps need to be dealt with straight away. The first is that the game is fairly linear, and doesn't offer the same expansive freedoms of Xenoblade Chronicles, much less a sprawling WRPG like Skyrim. The second is that the game plays around with a number of JRPG tropes from well over twenty years of the genre, and the third is that, fuck, it's a Wii game. Barring that last criticism (a hoary argument couched in e-dick waving graphical prowess debates and bitter feelings of resentment over a feeling of "abandonment" from the "hardcore"), the other two seem to miss the point entirely on The Last Story. This game was never meant to be a complete retooling of the JRPG genre, despite what Sakaguchi says. Instead, it plays like a mission statement from a pretty idiosyncratic auteur, a distillation of every idea Sakaguchi has ever had into a cohesive whole. It's a game as design autobiography, and that makes it feel incredibly personal.

Indeed, the game is linear and does play around with Sakaguchi-brand tropes, but that's kind of the point, and you wouldn't expect Sakaguchi to make sweeping changes to his design philosophy in much the same way you wouldn't expect Martin Scorsese to start making giant mecha anime. And within Sakaguchi's bag of tricks, he's actually making sweeping changes to his design formula, things that you don't expect Western games to do, much less the JRPG. Indeed, with this game and Xenoblade Chronicles, the JRPG is looking downright progressive, whereas games like Skyrim and Mass Effect 3 are basically doing the same things their respective series have been doing since the very start (while gutting the design prowess).

The game casts you as Zael, a mercenary who works with a team of lovable rastabouts for hire. Initially, this team seems to be comprised almost entirely of one-note characters, with Syrenne as the hard-boozing meathead (woman, in a nice inversion) and Lowell as the philandering ladies man. The others at this point are kind of blank slates – and in what should be a surprise to absolutely no one, Sakaguchi takes this band of archetypes and creates incredibly well-rounded characters out of them, with Lowell being the absolute standout – his character's progression is downright touching.

Besides playing around with common themes (the land is dying, for instance, basically for the same reasons that the land was dying in Final Fantasies III – V, and the Outsider's storyline feels an awful lot like a mish-mash of the Jenova/Lifestream plotline from Final Fantasy VII), the storyline is incredibly straightforward. I absolutely do not mean that as an insult – indeed, this game has one of the clearest senses of purpose in the whole of Final Fantasy-dom, finally jettisoning the obscurantist jargon that has become de rigeur in most Final Fantasy games. Indeed, if anything, it recalls the clearness of Chrono Trigger, and suggests that Sakaguchi was a bigger force in that game's development than I had originally thought. The Last Story's plot basically feels like the last 15 years of Final Fantasy simply didn't happen, or that there was some sort of alternate universe where Sakaguchi continued to make Final Fantasy games himself on Nintendo consoles. It might be incredibly earnest about its ambitions (indeed, the game is at times almost embarrassingly earnest, which I for one can't help but admire, as I'll take earnestness over obliqueness any day of the week), basically saying that Genocide Is Bad and Killing the Planet Is Bad, but it's so much more effective than most JRPG stories that it can't help but feel like a complete revelation.

It's also helped along by Sakaguchi's apparent willingness to pull out all the stops on this game. Indeed, you can basically hear the gears inside the Wii churning as it struggles to keep up with the visual cornucopia on display. If there was a legitimate complaint to be made here, it's that the graphics, while beautiful, are in perhaps too muted of a palette (while it looks better than Twilight Princess, it does share its propensity for inappropriate bloom lighting), and that the Wii often struggles to keep up with the game, especially in complex battle sequences.

Like a good many modern JRPGs, the game is pretty much built around its battle system – but unlike most of these games, the battles are actually outstanding, and they're not the only thing that the gameplay encompasses. Battling is comprised, again, of a pastiche of elements. It's got the hack and slash feeling of a Mana game, the "area of effect" spells of Dragon Age, the top-down strategizing of an RTS, the cover-based shooting of Mass Effect and the limit breaks and techs of Chrono Trigger. With that many elements, then, it was a complete shock to me that it didn't buckle under the weight of all these elements a la Brutal Legend. Instead, it all synthesizes together into an incredibly satisfying, intelligent, and most importantly, original whole. You're never just wildly swinging your sword around – you need just as many strategic considerations as even the best Final Fantasy games. It feels like a better version of what Final Fantasy XII was going for, and I have no qualms about claiming that it's the best battle system in the entire FF series. And while the combat can be on the easy side under default settings, simply changing the attacks from automatic to manual makes the battles far more difficult and engaging.

The game might be "linear" in that it has set chapters and a set story order, but that really just allows good storytelling to flourish (side note, the translation and localization, as done by Nintendo UK and a team of ridiculously endearing British voice actors, is about the best bit of translation work done since the era of Ted Woolsey). Instead, the game pulls a page out of the Grand Theft Auto playbook and allows you free reign to explore an outrageously detailed and beautiful city in Lazulis. True, there's maybe not a whole lot to do in this city, but simply exploring its back alleys and European charm is more than enough. The game doesn't have the world-spanning travel of a Final Fantasy VII, but it does present a convincing local (fantasy) geography, and Sakaguchi's always in it to entertain – the game never plops you in one place for too long.

In fact, one of the craziest criticisms against the game has been its length, which is completely asinine. Considering that some Final Fantasy games are a good 30 hours too long, the fact that The Last Story clocks in at 20 hours is about perfect. It's about the same length as Chrono Trigger, and while it doesn't have the same incident per second ratio as that game (few games could, in this day and age), it's about the breeziest feeling JRPG in generations. Twenty hours is basically the perfect length for a JRPG, and the fact that this is a criticism against the game's lack of "epicness" demonstrates just how histrionic the FF series and JRPGs in general have become.

The game isn't perfect, of course – I don't think Sakaguchi has ever made a perfect game. But it's interesting, and it's about the best distillation of JRPG design in some time. It's a game that, despite its modern touches, is for the converted. For those of us who have been waiting for the genre to do that impossible balancing act of paying homage to the Golden Age while still feeling accessible and modern and able to excise those elements which have lost their usefulness, this is that game. Call it a Final Fantasy game and there's a good chance that a new Golden Age might have happened. This is absolutely essential playing, and one of the best role-playing games in years.

---

Mirania is cool but the game doesn't have many classy looking armors that fit her so far, I ended up giving her one of Calista's dresses but it's still not quite right.

Remember, you can take parts off the armor (without impacting the defense), so you should be able to find something that works for you.

Oxx

That review is certainly closer to my experience with the game than the last review that was posted in this topic.

Octagon

So, i finally learned how to diffuse my own magic circles in chapter 35.
-__-
I should have giving the constant party small talk about diffusing magic circles a thought like 20 chapters earlier or so.

http://www.vigigames.com/?p=2555&cpage=1#comment-707

Really good review from Vigigames, that does a great job of answering the criticisms about this game.

---

I absolutely agree with this review. The straight forwardness of the story is one of the things I loved the most. All this pseudo spiritual crap that FF and co pulled during the PS2 era never appealed to me. In Fact I absolutely hate FFX with a passion. Probably my number one reason to give up on JRPGs alltogether.

The Last Story really brought back my hope for JRPGs to finally evolve beyond just graphics and to go back to those adventurous roots that I loved about games like Chrono Trigger or my all time favorite Skies of Arcadia.

Chapter 28 and my first game over...(reason for it)
damn you stealth section, though I read now tripping them over with prank bananas is acceptable behavior...I also regret not sniping more guards in chapter 27 (there are quite a few optional ones)

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Has it been confirmed on XSEED's forums or website that the US version will get the alternate UK cover? Just curious.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Game has exceeded my expectations so far, the issues present are too minor to care much about them while having fun.

Am I doing something wrong at the arena, I've beat it like 20 times and it's still just the same two encounters.

I don't even get any XP anymore it seems, and the loot sucks too.

Does it update based on the main story rather than your performance? I thought I'm far enough since I
became a knight and all

Game has exceeded my expectations so far, the issues present are too minor to care much about them while having fun.

Am I doing something wrong at the arena, I've beat it like 20 times and it's still just the same two encounters.

I don't even get any XP anymore it seems, and the loot sucks too.

Does it update based on the main story rather than your performance? I thought I'm far enough since I
became a knight and all

The Arena is divided into season 1, 2, and 3.
You won't be able to do season 2 untill chapter 28 or so, and season 3 is around the end of the game.

RpgN

Completed FFXIII-2 today and started on this game. I've put around 2 hours in it and so far I'm impressed despite some obvious flaws such as the slow framerate sometimes and the lack of face animation in cutscenes (I can live with the latter though). The characters seem to be pretty likable, and while the voice acting is not always top-notch, it is good for the most part. The British accent fits perfectly with the setting and they've managed to create a good EU feel to the city. The fights seem to be original and interesting but I need to mess more with it to get a better feel out of it.

A couple of questions come to mind:

1. Can you do all the side missions on your first playthrough?

2. Is there any way to keep track of the side missions in the game?

3. Can you easily miss side missions if you advance further with the story/chapters? Or are they always here for you, where you can do them whenever you feel like it?

2San

Completed FFXIII-2 today and started on this game. I've put around 2 hours in it and so far I'm impressed despite some obvious flaws such as the slow framerate sometimes and the lack of face animation in cutscenes (I can live with the latter though). The characters seem to be pretty likable, and while the voice acting is not always top-notch, it is good for the most part. The British accent fits perfectly with the setting and they've managed to create a good EU feel to the city. The fights seem to be original and interesting but I need to mess more with it to get a better feel out of it.

3. Can you easily miss side missions if you advance further with the story/chapters? Or are they always here for you, where you can do them whenever you feel like it?
1. Dunno

2. Nope

3. I think most side missions stay open up till a certain point, but I'm not sure on this.

thefro

1) Yes
2) No
3) Yes. There is a point of no return at Chapter 26 where you can't do Chapters 20, 21, 24, and 25 afterwards. There is another point of no return at Chapter 31 for some sidequests in town. There are a couple of other missable optional chapters very late in the game (42 & 43).

There's points where characters ask "are you ready to go?" before all those accord, and you can say no and finish up the optional stuff beforehand.

Son1x

So I just ordered this game and I should get it this week. Before I start , how are the wiimote/nunchuk controls?

Zornica

Banned
So I just ordered this game and I should get it this week. Before I start , how are the wiimote/nunchuk controls?

I've been playing with them for 12 hours now, can't complain.

So far, the game seems like a really great action adventure, but a very weak rpg. kinda like mass effect with knights.
I am really enjoying the dub, first I thought "what? no original voices included? damn, this is gonna suck", but now, I think it fits perfectly.

Peagles

OzGameShop/365Games LE copy arrived finally, phew! Packaged nicely in a box though there was a little smooshing on the corners (nothing major).

Just after I ordered another from HMV too, lol...

Gambit

Last night I played through the epic final chapters and beat the last boss. It was absolutely great. Especially one thing, which I will detail in the spoilers, earns the game extra points.

Once again, the highlight are the characters! I really do love every single one of them by now. In fact, it's been years since the last RPG where I had such equal love for all the cast members. Most have at least one character that sucks (Vaan, Vanille, Cait Sith, King Roan) or a completely superfluous character like Lucia from Shadow Hearts. Here, everyone had a role to play.

This game has one of the greatest couples in video game history in Lowell and Syrenne. Their interaction is priceless. Both are great on their own, but together they are even better.

I loved how everything came together at the end. The betrayal by Dagran came as I anticipated, but by then I liked Dagran so much as a character that I was still "hurt" by his deceit.

The game really knows how to wrap things up. Epic battle against Gurack outsider -> personal battle against Jirall -> the Gurack twins (with heroic sacrifice) -> Gurack king -> finally combining the epic and the personal for Dagran.

Loved it. Now I am in the chapter Epilogue, but I think there's still a tiny bit left to do, before it's over. I hope so, anyway.

Oh yes, here comes the extra point the game earns in the second spoiler. It is also a battle tactic for (one of) the last boss(es).

When you fight Zangurak, you need to use his lance to break his shield. Normally he throws it at you, you dodge and pick it up.

Well, at one point, while scanning for his weakness, I accidentally shot a prank banana at him. Here come the extra brownie points for the game: It worked!

When you shoot him with a banana, he will slip and fall immediately. That means he'll lose his lance. Putting a ridiculous weapon like the banana to good use in (what appeared to be) the final battle was incredibly cool.

At the last two summoning circles, I found out something that I either missed earlier or didn't work until then.

After summoning one group of enemies, you could summon a second, while the fight against the first was still on.

This proved incredibly useful, as the second batch of enemies gave me a lot of experience. It made me jump up six levels at once for some characters.

So within a matter of five mins, my characters were all at least level 61 for the final encounters. I had no problems at all.

EDIT: I have now read the review posted above and it's a fantastic read. It's probably the best review I have read of the game and I agree wholeheartedly.

Last Story demands a sequel. And if I had my way, this series' Chobobo-like trademark would be
the tiger!

RpgN

1) Yes
2) No
3) Yes. There is a point of no return at Chapter 26 where you can't do Chapters 20, 21, 24, and 25 afterwards. There is another point of no return at Chapter 31 for some sidequests in town. There are a couple of other missable optional chapters very late in the game (42 & 43).

There's points where characters ask "are you ready to go?" before all those accord, and you can say no and finish up the optional stuff beforehand.

Holly macaroni! You can miss on chapters? I thought it was just the lesser side quests you get from NPC's. Okay, I'll try and keep that in mind, thank you very much.

I played some more and am somewhere in chapter 7, doing more side quests at the moment. Some of the side quests are repeated in the game, which is pretty surprising. Chapter 6 was pretty good, it showed the battle system in a better way. Although there isn't much tactical thinking at the moment, you get a head overview and you usually try to take out the healers and mage users, they're usually defended by other enemy types. I'm guessing you'll get more options to spice things up soon. The boss fights where good, even though nothing out of the ordinary. The chapters are completed quickly and they do feel a bit like Gears of War of RPG's, where it's more streamlined, fast and there doesn't seem to be many dull moment. It seems to work well with RPG mechanics, more than expected. But I need to see more of this.

Ra1den

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm on media blackout for this. Is the online multiplayer in this game an important part of the experience? Or can it safely be ignored?

Ra1den

Fully ignorable, just some arena deathmatch or co-op boss fights.

Thanks, good to know. I doubt I'll have time to play this anywhere near its release date, so I'm glad I'm not missing anything essential. Co-op boss fights sound like they could be fun though.

daakusedo

I play it again today after one week to beat the last boss.
Got to level 64 and that was still hard in the end, this guy has some one hit kill, I'm still not sure how to dodge, so I stayed far from him, a bit anxious until Callista power was ready and finished him.
After that I found again with the game I like, with still a lot of things to do in the epilogue, new chapters, previous tasks to end, some new quests and dialogues. Except I can't go anymore in the water now to beat some previously strong beasts. 32hours for now.

Oxx

Chapter 34 is bumming me out.

It's all very well talking at me, but it's pretty tough to work out what to do when you're also trying not to get wiped-out.

Gambit

what? we're in the Community ghetto already?

I am sure that will make this thread more popular...

Anyway, finished everything there was to do last night. Great, great game. I am ready for Last Story 3DS.

@Oxx: I assume you've done it by now, but just in case: in one fight in chapter 34 you need Mirania's plant magic. Maybe that's the one you had trouble with (like I did)

Oxx

At least Neogaf down time forced me to sit down and play a lot more.

I think I'm approaching the end. Chapter 38 or 39. I could have done with a save point a few times in the previous sections.

Currently 4 hours in, at Chapter 11:
1. Are the slow downs at cut-scenes normal?
2. The soft-focus effect is HORRIBLE!

And man, lack of Japanese dub is so :( I specially wished for Japanese songs

+ Mostly great art direction, especially in the later stages of the game. In other areas it tries to look like Gears of War too hard.
god, this too! where are the colors Sakaguchi?

Currently I am enjoying this something between The Last Remnant and X-2 (I liked both more than many do); yet way bellow FFX

Vrakanox

OzGameShop/365Games LE copy arrived finally, phew! Packaged nicely in a box though there was a little smooshing on the corners (nothing major).

Just after I ordered another from HMV too, lol...

Glad to hear you got yours. I'm still waiting though. I really hope it arrives this week.

Oxx

I'm getting slaughtered right at the start of Chapter 40.

Maybe I should have spent a little more time levelling-up with the Summon Circles. I'm currently at level 55.

Gambit

I'm getting slaughtered right at the start of Chapter 40.

Maybe I should have spent a little more time levelling-up with the Summon Circles. I'm currently at level 55.

55 was about my level as well, until I used the summoning circle before the last boss. The trick is to summon twice. Summon new enemies, while the old ones are still around. The second batch gives a lot of EXP.

As I've said before, I skipped six levels at once the first time I did that.

Oxx

I haven't the heart to retry that specific battle today. Maybe I'll attempt to get the game finished over the weekend.

I did notice that there is now a TLS Club Nintendo survey on the website, though.

GC|Simon

I played for more than three hours today and made great progress. I just finished chapter 23 and I'm on my way to be
a real knight
. I'm currently on level 34. Most of my team mates are not as strong as me since I walked around with only two mates in one of the last chapters. I'm going to check if there are more sidequests before I continue with the story.

I love the game and I'm damn happy that I bought it two weeks ago. I thought that I don't want to play another long game after Xenoblade and Zelda but The Last Stroy is quite different. I love the story focus of the game. It's straight forward with a lot of action. And this action is fun due to a great battle system. Good work, Sakaguchi.

Top Bottom