• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Story (US) |OT| One of Wii's epic last breaths.

Back from work, I'll rip it immediatly and try some tests with Dolphin and hopefully it'll work good enough for me to take some pics.

Again, that box set is wonderful, thanks to XSeed it feels really complete with the given soundtrack that I got at my EBGames, plus selling this at common retail price is quite something. (Thanks for not putting that 'Recycle' thingy too!)

It really stands out in my Wii games collection since I had no special edition of anything Wii back then, there was only Metroid Prime Trilogy with it's metallic case but it barely stands out, the game itself shines like a thousand suns though. ;)

So happy that you guys are liking the packaging AND price. ^_^ We try hard to cram in as much as we can and keep it affordable, so it's great see that getting noticed.

I hate those so much. Every time I buy something with one of those I'm always just like why

It's especially prevalent with special edition Blu-rays and such.

Since we need all of that relevant info on the box, but didn't want to mar the classic look of the special book-cover packaging, we added in the slipcover especially FOR collectors. All of that stuff is on the back of the game anyway, so I think you guys are fine scrapping the slipcover. It was only meant to keep the box pretty, after all.

So happy that you guys are liking the packaging AND price. ^_^ We try hard to cram in as much as we can and keep it affordable, so it's great see that getting noticed.
Oh, it's beautiful. Love the book motif.

Since we need all of that relevant info on the box, but didn't want to mar the classic look of the special book-cover packaging, we added in the slipcover especially FOR collectors. All of that stuff is on the back of the game anyway, so I think you guys are fine scrapping the slipcover. It was only meant to keep the box pretty, after all.
Yeah, I realize why you put that there, I have no complaints, I just never know how to store these things. I can't throw it away. I just can't.

Heh, good to know. I personally haven't held the thing in my hands yet, I was just going by that guy's post and started making assumptions. Perhaps too quick on the draw on my part.

Kaldea

Just got mine in from Amazon and yes, the packaging is gorgeous. Not playing the game yet because I can't stop looking at the box and artbook. :D

So do all of the first print of The Last Story come with the art book and stuff?

All launch copies come with the box and art book (it's inside). The CD was only for pre-orders with GS & Amazon (or other participating retailers).

I just wanted to post that I too hate the box cover slip things.

So... you want the screenshots/info/ESRB on the back of your collector's box?

Is it too big to fit underneath the back cover of the game case?
Yeah, way too big. Here's a picture of it. All the way on the right, it has all the back cover info, same as the regular case. So most people will just throw it away since it has the same info.

jnbhL.jpg

zroid

Banned
Yeah, way too big. Here's a picture of it. All the way on the right, it has all the back cover info, same as the regular case. So most people will just throw it away since it has the same info.

Hmmm...

I will probably just end up folding it and sticking it in the case, I guess. Not ideal, but eh.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Hmmm...

I will probably just end up folding it and sticking it in the case, I guess. Not ideal, but eh.

That's what I end up doing with games that have those back flaps thingies, blu-rays as well.

Major props to XSEED for such a nice gift to us NA jrpg lovers. It's packaging like that and the willingness to bring things like this game over that keep me purchasing XSEED games!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I think that's enough for me for today. I think I should buy some gravol or something before I continue, though. Game makes me feel all nauseous.

It's pretty darn easy at the moment. Voicework is good so far, characters seem decent. Did a few sidequests, and the rewards seem to be party upgrades/stuff to upgrade your equipment with, which isn't bad? I think it's alright so far.

Oh, the items that seem to have random upgrades in them, are they recurring items, or would I have to load a save to get what I really want to get?

fr3shme4t

Neo Member
Glad this finaly made it to North America!
Took long enough...

Sorry about the slow downs (although they're mostly not really my fault...)

Durask

Damn...I want to rip this game and play it on Dolphin so badly.

I am playing Tales of the Abyss on my PS2 emulator and the difference between 4xAA graphics on my PC and hideous component crap that PS2 outputs is night and day. The Wii is not that bad, but when I look at those screenshots above

I tried all the DVD drives in my house, none will rip Wii disks.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It really does seem to look better in Dolphin.

Outside of Chapter 4 where you do a ton of sidequests like that frog one, it's quite focused. This may or may not be a good thing in the long run, but at least it seems like you have a build up, a fight, a cool down, and room to breathe afterwards in general.

Who came up with the animation for after you talk to the fortune teller, I wonder? I had to chuckle cuz Zael was so psyched.

Oh yeah, Manual Mode is the only way to go. None of this Auto bs. I like blasting at things with Slash.

Worked on it.

Teknoman

It really does seem to look better in Dolphin.

Outside of Chapter 4 where you do a ton of sidequests like that frog one, it's quite focused. This may or may not be a good thing in the long run, but at least it seems like you have a build up, a fight, a cool down, and room to breathe afterwards in general.

Who came up with the animation for after you talk to the fortune teller, I wonder? I had to chuckle cuz Zael was so psyched.

Oh yeah, Manual Mode is the only way to go. None of this Auto bs. I like blasting at things with Slash.

Worked on it.

Ah. Well anyway, I need to get started on it...maybe later tonight or tomorrow. Of course with the Wii U coming...one of the last 3 great adventures is probably going to extend over into backwards compatible playthrough territory.

And i'm sure its been said, but i'm really glad this made it to North America fr3shme4t. The soundtrack and packaging style alone make it more than worth it.

Dariso

Neo Member
So glad Xseed published this game here. This package is truly beautiful. Doubt it we would have gotten something this nice from NOA.

Played it for a bit and like has been said, the game's perfomance doesn't look too promising sadly.But the combat system looks fun.

VERY impressed so far! Hype + XSEED = one copy for me thank you very much. Didn't know anything about this game up until a few days ago.

zlatko

Banned
I want this game quite bad, but refuse to get it until I complete Xenoblade first. Which I have scratched at bit by bit, but other games arise to eat away my time with it. (Diablo 3, Persona 4 arena)

zroid

Banned
I want this game quite bad, but refuse to get it until I complete Xenoblade first. Which I have scratched at bit by bit, but other games arise to eat away my time with it. (Diablo 3, Persona 4 arena)

I hope you can still find a copy when you do get around to buying it D:

Esura

Banned
All launch copies come with the box and art book (it's inside). The CD was only for pre-orders with GS & Amazon (or other participating retailers).

Ah, do you guys plan on selling the CDs individually eventually?

And why is people throwing away the slipcovers? It protects the case no?

CorvoSol

Ah, do you guys plan on selling the CDs individually eventually?

In my case, I just don't know how long the slipcover is gonna last. Like, the BOX, sure, that's cool, but that weird paper that didn't actually wrap around the box that had the game and artbook inside it isn't gonna last forever.

It's not really a slip cover. It's just a thin piece of card board with flaps at the top and bottom. It doesn't actually attach to the box, though you can leave it loosely resting against it on your shelf.

Another pic:

edit: I hope this doesn't seem like a slew of complaints about this insignificant thing. Just clarifying.

Mzo

It's not really a cover, it's a leaflet that folds around the back of the fake book box and has a bit extra to fold over the top and bottom. It doesn't really stay on by itself without the shrinkwrap.

Esura

Banned
In my case, I just don't know how long the slipcover is gonna last. Like, the BOX, sure, that's cool, but that weird paper that didn't actually wrap around the box that had the game and artbook inside it isn't gonna last forever.

It's not really a slip cover. It's just a thin piece of card board with flaps at the top and bottom. It doesn't actually attach to the box, though you can leave it loosely resting against it on your shelf.

Another pic:

edit: I hope this doesn't seem like a slew of complaints about this insignificant thing. Just clarifying.

It's not really a cover, it's a leaflet that folds around the back of the fake book box and has a bit extra to fold over the top and bottom. It doesn't really stay on by itself without the shrinkwrap.

OHHH! I thought it was like those coverings that's on games like Deus Ex HR and FFXIII-2's collector's edition that protects the case real good. Yeah, I'm going throw that away that leaflet probably. Or stick it inside the art book. Reminds me of that leaflet that comes with Catherine and KOFXIII.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Edit: Maybe it's because I'm lazy and thus am not playing this with glasses or Gravol, but does this game seem really darkly lit to anyone else?

That is definitely an issue for me. It's not as bad during some parts of the game, but there are areas where I had to crank the in-game brightness all the way up, play in a dark room, and still my eyes would bleed. The fact that I'm playing over regular composite cables on a big screen HDTV isn't helping either...

I'm not sure if I eventually got used to it or if it's just more noticeable in certain parts of the game than in others.

Rarutos

Just finished the game! I actually liked it quite a bit, despite the story and characters being pretty predictable/static for the most part. It was still quite a lot of fun! One of the best parts of the game was definitely the armor customization just for all the silliness of invisible armor during cutscenes.

Effect

Enjoying the combat system so far. Knowing how to exploit the various magic rings can really make the difference during a fight. Which also should be done instead of going one on one with creatures during melee or trying to just keep the attention of enemies. It's a lot more interesting then Xenoblade's combo system. I still think after playing more if the game had a LOT more pop-in the way Xenoblade did it wouldn't have the issues it has.

I really would like to know if playing it on the Wii U would make things better considering there would be more ram. Though I guess that depends if the game was designed in such a way to take advantage of that. I really hope it was.

Also enjoying how focused the game is. Though it seems like a massive dungeon crawl, at least at the moment. It reminds me of Final Fantasy XIII (a game I didn't really have that much of an issue with in the end even if it is far from my favorite FF game) in a way.

jorgeton

The game is focused, but there are tons of hidden chapters/sidequests. I recommend folks run around and try to talk to everyone when they aren't in a story dungeon. I've come across a few side missions that I would've totally missed had I not explored the town. And these missions are beefy too -- full-on dungeons and cut scenes.

Also, the town reminds me so much of Florence from AC2. They did a good job, pop-in aside.

Pyrrhus

I should point out the game keeps track, or more accurately, score of how many times you bump into people, how many times you outright knock them down, and how many times you hit your head on hanging signs in the alleyways.

Effect

The game is focused, but there are tons of hidden chapters/sidequests. I recommend folks run around and try to talk to everyone when they aren't in a story dungeon. I've come across a few side missions that I would've totally missed had I not explored the town. And these missions are beefy too -- full-on dungeons and cut scenes.

This. I do wish there was a quest/mission log though. That seems to be missing or I'm just not seeing it.

Shiggy

Does online ever have any story spoilers, or is it unlocked after a certain event?

The visual design of regions/environments is spoilered. I played the last world in multiplayer before reaching that stage in singleplayer... it bothered me.

I should point out the game keeps track, or more accurately, score of how many times you bump into people, how many times you outright knock them down, and how many times you hit your head on hanging signs in the alleyways.

My family was laughing at me when I always bumped into people. It was funny
when I met that man who kept track of it.

jorgeton

This. I do wish there was a quest/mission log though. That seems to be missing or I'm just not seeing it.

Doesn't look like there's one. Kind of an annoying oversight. But I like to think of it as keeping it old school.. before the time when we had quest logs. I tend to do the sidequest as soon as I get it, for fear of forgetting later on.

My family was laughing at me when I always bumped into people.

I find bumping into people in this game hilarious. Especially when it's some little kid and you just push them out of the way. Never gets old.

Effect

Doesn't look like there's one. Kind of an annoying oversight. But I like to think of it as keeping it old school.. before the time when we had quest logs. I tend to do the sidequest as soon as I get it, for fear of forgetting later on.

It is an interesting throwback. For the first time in years I'm writing small notes as a play in order to do find items for npcs.

Edit: People should try ZL targeting npcs that are doing various things. You get additional dialogue. For example there were two guys in a back alley and it looked like the old man was under attack. The younger guy was talking about the money the older guy was making from his business. Then I targeted it them and I found out via additional dialogue that
the older guy was a deadbeat dad and the other guy was trying to get him to pay his support
. Walking down the different streets can be interesting at times.

get it now

Im in the same boat, but i got it to show my support. Plus i wanted the sampler cd.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Poor showing by Newegg to ship it in a bubble mailer. Corners are bent up, front has a dent, and it's slightly squished so the "pages" aren't straight and overlap the side of the case.

Worth getting it for $10 less? No question! Will probably start it this weekend, a shame it doesn't work properly on Dolphin.

Seik

Banned
May I ask what revision/settings you're using?

I'm using the lastest Lectrode revision. :)

I had a bit of lag by times, and I was only at the beginning, I'll play a lot more tonight and my guess is that things will get bad when I'll reach the town, we'll see. For what I played yesterday though, it was awesome! :D

Maybe it won't be as bad as when I tried it during the PAL version's launch.

Wow, I'm really enjoying this so far. More than Xenoblade, even.

I spent way too much time picking up junk on the floor in the town, I cashed in everything for all of the dyes and made most of my characters pink.

I beat the main story and watched the credits last night. I had fun. I thought some songs from the third disc on the full OST sounded much better in-game than as stand alones. Story had its ups and downs. I liked all the little details put in the game like hitting your head on those signs or squeezing into those tight spaces.

Now I'm going to check out what side-quests I've missed and stuff.

thefro

I beat the main story and watched the credits last night. I had fun. I thought some songs from the third disc on the full OST sounded much better in-game than as stand alones. Story had its ups and downs. I liked all the little details put in the game like hitting your head on those signs or squeezing into those tight spaces.

Now I'm going to check out what side-quests I've missed and stuff.

There's NG+ (which I hear gets actually hard) and multiplayer, which is very fun as well.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Gravol makes this game a ton better. I love running into dudes and making Zael walk into signs. I also agree that people should just walk around town (or use the map to warp around town) and talk to folks to start up sidequests or make Zael animate.

At least you can tell they put careful thought into making Zael react and animate for things, and for the townspeople to respond to you in an AC sort of way whenever you bump into them.

Also, I highly recommend doing the sidequest that lets you dive into the water. You might not be able to swim fast, but you can find extra stuff like
the guy who rewards you with stuff depending on how many times you bump into signs, run into people, etc

Also, the town reminds me so much of Florence from AC2. They did a good job, pop-in aside.
I was thinking the same thing at some points. It sorta did remind me of AC2 a bit.

Edit: People should try ZL targeting npcs that are doing various things. You get additional dialogue. For example there were two guys in a back alley and it looked like the old man was under attack. The younger guy was talking about the money the older guy was making from his business. Then I targeted it them and I found out via additional dialogue that
the older guy was a deadbeat dad and the other guy was trying to get him to pay his support
. Walking down the different streets can be interesting at times.
Thanks for the tip. I didn't think to do that. What a nice little extra they put in.

Top Bottom