• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Story (US) |OT| One of Wii's epic last breaths.

CorvoSol

Got this and Xenoblade Chronicles today. GameStop did not give me any kind of CD with music on it, though. I don't care that much, though? The game is a lot of fun. I played it as far as the first town, where I found some wooden signs jutting out of the side of the houses, which I bonked Zael's head into repeatedly for great fun. The scene before you go into the Arena was my favorite thus far. Syrenna is definitely my favorite character so far. I don't mind Zael's character, I guess, but I hope he doesn't spend too much time being Cecil.

Oh, and Xenoblade? Why can't that game star Dunban? I love him already.

Also, I love the art in both these games. It's a shame that I haven't played a single JRPG with good lip-sync this year, though. In these two games its meh, in Type-0 (outside CGI) it's laughably bad, as it is in FFXIII-2 outside CGI. I think that is also why I don't like the idea of VA in Zelda, come to think on it. Bad lip-sync is just so . . . noticeable?

All in all, though, I think Last Story will be faster to learn than Xenoblade. Xenoblade has all manner of strange mechanics to work out, while Last Story looks like it's gonna be a pretty straight forward Action RPG.

My favorite mechanic thus far? Vaulting. Seriously, did you know you can vault over party members, making it look like a Leap-Frog? SO COOL. I love the amount of detail in this game! Like, when I bump people in the street, they respond!

thefro

Where would you guys rank The Last Story's OST among Uematsu's other works?

It's probably 2/3rds Hans Zimmer-type movie atmospheric stuff (which is pretty good for the style, IMHO) and 1/3rd traditional super-melodic Uematsu, so it's going to be divisive for people.

Fits the game really well and the melodic stuff that there's is good, but it's missing dungeon & some character themes just because of the structure of the game.

EulaCapra

Yay mine arrived! As previously mentioned, packaging is beautiful and I appreciate the book packaging motif. Tons of stuff to unwrap though. But cd is labeled with "The Last Story Premium Soundtrack" yet only has 7 tracks. :/

Can't wait to get a solid playthrough!

All it took was me picking it up at Best Buy to then get an email from Amazon that my other copy shipped (didn't wanna risk it).

You think it's worth hanging onto the unopened copy to sell later or should I just return it?

All it took was me picking it up at Best Buy to then get an email from Amazon that my other copy shipped (didn't wanna risk it).

You think it's worth hanging onto the unopened copy to sell later or should I just return it?

I'm actually in a somewhat similar position.

At the very least they said the copy boxed with the art book is first run only (right?) so it will probably be worth something in the future.

Sagitario

Super jealous of all you guys playing right now!!
JKV4T.gif

I'm sitting here half-asleep and kinda sorta studying, but I'd rather be playing it. ;_;

How's the battle system so far and has anyone put everyone in their underwear to run around town with?

That's the only correct way to travel, girl!

HZ5ZB.gif

I beat the PAL version months ago. Story is where the game excels at. Characters are awesome, you're instantly drawn to them. They feel like a cohesive team and you care about what goes on. The overall arc may be a tad cliched, but overall, you've got a solid lead in here to make you care.

All I needed to know. Thanks. Picking this up tomorrow.

I called Amazon and bitched. Status still says "shipping soon," yet there are a bunch of people that already have their copies? Wtf is this shit? So now my estimated delivery date is next tuesday. That's all my bitching accomplished.

Gotta say, I don't normally pre-order from Amazon, and because of this shitty experience, it's not likely I will again.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Stupid tired right now, but I'm about 3 hours into the game now and it's like "okay, I can stop worrying now." The game's legit.

I have a defense system in place that wards off RPGs by lowering expectations dramatically at first. It's helped ward off AIDS (Star Ocean 4), gonorrhea (Infinite Undiscovery), and syphillis (every NIS game.) Unfortunately, I still got hep (Final Fantasy XIII-2.)

Thus, XSEED can now put on the back of the box:

"The Last Story is not a venereal disease."

- Chacranajxy, a former "professional" games journalist

Aeana

Stupid tired right now, but I'm about 3 hours into the game now and it's like "okay, I can stop worrying now." The game's legit.

I have a defense system in place that wards off RPGs by lowering expectations dramatically at first. It's helped ward off AIDS (Star Ocean 4), gonorrhea (Infinite Undiscovery), and syphillis (every NIS game.) Unfortunately, I still got hep (Final Fantasy XIII-2.)

Thus, XSEED can now put on the back of the box:

"The Last Story is not a venereal disease."

- Chacranajxy, a former "professional" games journalist
Well, for your sake, I hope you continue to feel that way throughout the game. I can't think of many games that wore out their welcome so thoroughly so quickly, honestly. But maybe I'll give the game a... third chance someday. I just wish the framerate weren't so bad that I have to take dramamine to not get sick.

It's probably 2/3rds Hans Zimmer-type movie atmospheric stuff (which is pretty good for the style, IMHO) and 1/3rd traditional super-melodic Uematsu, so it's going to be divisive for people.

Fits the game really well and the melodic stuff that there's is good, but it's missing dungeon & some character themes just because of the structure of the game.

Oh nice, I like the sound of that Zimmer-esque aspect of the game's OST. I'll be on the look out for them.

Yuterald

Well, for your sake, I hope you continue to feel that way throughout the game. I can't think of many games that wore out their welcome so thoroughly so quickly, honestly. But maybe I'll give the game a... third chance someday. I just wish the framerate weren't so bad that I have to take dramamine to not get sick.

Yeah, I felt pretty good about the game for the first couple hours too. 20 some hours later I didn't feel too hot about it anymore. I imported this game months ago and played through it once. I have little to no desire to replay the game, unfortunately. I think the game does a lot of things right, but it's also missing a lot of important elements that make RPGs fun and interesting.

I'm still going to try and find a way to pick up my NA copy though. Money is tight right now, but I'd like to show my support still (plus, it seems like this is going to become extremely rare). I'm sure others will find a lot to like about this game, but I definitely walked away a little underwhelmed and certainly disappointed.

Eusis

I think I need to get used to the game, since it feels a bit... clunky. I think it's the combination of either somewhat stiff Classic Controller Pro sticks or somewhat stiff character control (or both!), being unable to move while in seek mode, and the aforementioned FPS. I'm not getting sick or anything, but all of it's making it hard to really get into.

bh7812

Banned
The situation with this game's release and shipping has been an odd one to say the least. I pre-ordered on Amazon middle of last month, with a delivery estimate of the 16th. Wednesday came and I just figured it'd ship late that night. Thursday morning came, no package. Finally Thursday night I get an e-mail saying my delivery estimate is now Tuesday like so many others. But, it still said "Not Shipped Yet". Just today the status finally moved to "Shipping Soon" so it looks like I lucked out and my copy will arrive Tuesday! Waiting a few extra days is no big deal really, since I'll be playing it on Wii U anyway with the GamePad and headphones. Definitely with headphones since I've always been a fan of Uematsu's work. It'll just go onto the pile of Wii games I'm saving for Wii U.

To those having reservations on future pre-orders with Amazon, I really wouldn't worry since this seems to be one of those once in a blue moon really weird shipping snafus. I've been ordering a lot of games and DVD's from them this year and 99 percent of the time everything has shipped the day before it's release. This weird shipping situation is like a 1 out of every 100 times it happens type deal so I'd just keep pre-ordering from them as usual. I will say this is making me nervous for my two September pre-orders, especially the Retro Game Master DVD set since that's coming from a publisher I've never dealt with before. Both are DVD sets from publishers I'm not real familiar with so I'm kind of going "hoooo boy hope next month won't be a repeat of this!"

But looking forward to The Last Story none the less!

Kazerei

Banned
Picked up my copy at EB Games today. Sounds like southern Ontario is covered.

I must say, I really am impressed with the packaging. So nice.

1wrdp.jpg

Effect

My copy arrived yesterday in the mail. Only managed to put in a hour into the game. Made it to
Lazulis City
. So far the game does indeed have frame rate issues. However that's the only thing that stands out as negative to me. I'm willing to overlook that in games if everything else is good and so far it has been. I'm still playing Xenoblade Chronicles and the two games are very different but I like that. I enjoy both styles so I'm not going to be apart of the group that loves one but hates the other.

Think I'm going to treat this as an evening game. An hour a night or so. No rush to beat it as I said I"m playing Xenoblade still and will be picking up Guild Wars 2. That and I'm trying to finally beat Uncharted 1.

My copy arrived yesterday in the mail. Only managed to put in a hour into the game. Made it to
Lazulis City
. So far the game does indeed have frame rate issues. However that's the only thing that stands out as negative to me. I'm willing to overlook that in games if everything else is good and so far it has been. I'm still playing Xenoblade Chronicles and the two games are very different but I like that. I enjoy both styles so I'm not going to be apart of the group that loves one but hates the other.

Think I'm going to treat this as an evening game. An hour a night or so. No rush to beat it as I said I"m playing Xenoblade still and will be picking up Guild Wars 2. That and I'm trying to finally beat Uncharted 1.

That makes me happy. I really hate how many people put this game down because it wasn't Xenoblade. I see that a lot around here, where some posters feel the only way to make one game sound good is by shitting on another. I appreciate them both, as they are very different kinds of games.

Giolon

Got my copy yesterday. The packaging is really, really nice, but has the small problem that the cover cannot stay closed on its own. It needs external pressure (like sitting in a bookshelf alongside other games). To be sure, a minor issue.

Thank you, XSEED, for making this happen!

Kazzy

I hope everyone else gets on with this game better than I did. I bought it when it had its UK release, so I was understandably quite excited to play it. It eventually got to the point where I couldn't ignore the technical issues though. I think its a game which has misplaced ambition, at least for the hardware.

I appreciated various things, like the quirky VA, although the protagonist has the worst performance of the entire cast. Its a shame it gets bogged down somewhat, because its a game that's surprisingly forward thinking in many ways.

Nice packaging , I prefer it over the European one.

Teknoman

This is shorter than Xenoblade right? I still havent finished that, but I also dont want to miss out on messing around in this game's MP.

Wiz

Hoping I can just waltz in to Gamestop tomorrow and pick this up without problems. I was on the fence about getting it at launch so I cancelled my pre-order, but now I've changed my mind.

This is shorter than Xenoblade right? I still havent finished that, but I also dont want to miss out on messing around in this game's MP.

A lot shorter than Xenoblade. According to howlongtobeat.com, this game is around
22 hours
long.

Kazzy

Yes, by quite a wide margin.

In terms of typical RPG length, it has a lot in common with Mass Effect.

MarkusRJR

I just got a phone call saying the game earlier than expected (they thought it was coming in on Monday). I have work today and tomorrow so I won't be able to pick it up until Monday. Please tell me they don't only hold my game for 24 or 48 hours or some shit and I'll be able to pick it up.

Got a call from my EBGames in Vancouver saying my copy is ready for pick up. I'll be heading down tomorrow morning to pick up both my 3DS XL and The Last Story. =D

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I got my call from EB too, so southern Ontario is in the clear.

I'm only going to be able to pick mine up on Monday because I know I'll get distracted by it. My store's manager is pretty cool so they'll hold onto it until then.

Yaceka said:
Please tell me they don't only hold my game for 24 or 48 hours or some shit and I'll be able to pick it up.
Call and explain your circumstances. I did that with a game once and they ended up holding it for a while.

Ordered this off of amazon anout a week before it "released" and its on track for Tuesday!

Unfortunatly my Wii can't play Dual layered games anymore but thats fine. I probably wouldn't have played it anywayz so I'll just wait till I get a WiiU. Sure, I can get a cleaning kit on amazon but money is so tight between now and WiiU's launch that I don't find it worth it to waste money on it. I still have my previous cleaning kit but lost the cleaning fluids lol. Regular alchohol and just water doesn't work. I'm lucky I realized that before I damaged my Wii. (Or if they are supposed to, then my Wii is completely Dual layeredess.)

Only reason I bought this now was for the preorder bonuses. I couldn't resist that seven songs, cool packaging, and artbook. (I better get it all amazon!)

Looks like a really cool game. I'll probably start playing it early next year since I'll be mostly focused on WiiU games when the WiiU comes out, but I can't wait too play it!

Shaffield

I've played for about an hour or so.

I like it and its pretty, but its not really making me want to play more :/
Especially when I have KH3D sitting there right next to me.

When does the game actually get exciting?

Grisby

Yeah, the GS dude even made a comment about the packaging. Good deal.
A lot shorter than Xenoblade. According to howlongtobeat.com, this game is around
22 hours
long.
Wow, yeah, I think I'll get to this before Xenoblade.

Yuterald

If you just blast through the game, ignore all the side chapters and quests, then the game is about in that 20 hour range. I believe my clock was near 40 some hours on my first playthrough because I explored thoroughly and found most, if not all of the optional chapters on my own (I also spent a decent amount of time in the Arena and developing my equipment to some degree). It's not THAT short of a game. Regardless, the first handful of chapters are pretty engaging, to be perfectly honest. The main town music is probably my favorite track in the game too so I could walk around the streets forever. There are some pretty unique scenarios/chapters later on in the game as well.

My sentiments towards this game on the first couple of days were very similar to the first-timers in this thread. I'd be curious to see if most people's opinion of this game will sway the other way the further they play.

Dmax3901

That makes me happy. I really hate how many people put this game down because it wasn't Xenoblade. I see that a lot around here, where some posters feel the only way to make one game sound good is by shitting on another. I appreciate them both, as they are very different kinds of games.

Yeah I don't want people to think they should ignore this entirely and just get Xenoblade, but for the people who can't afford both, I would advise getting Xenoblade over The Last Story and I'm sure very few people would disagree with me on that.

The Last Story is still a good game.

CorvoSol

Xenoblade seems like it has more content, but I don't think that diminishes Last Story's fun at all.

The only thing I DON'T like about Last Story are the conversation screens where it blurs the background and then shows you the enlarged models talking while not looking directly at each other. It's jarring.

Top Bottom