• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Story (US) |OT| One of Wii's epic last breaths.

Seik

Banned
I'm now at Chapter 8, no, 9, 10 (stealth edit: damn those go fast.), I really like the game so far. The town is fun to explore and there seems to be plenty of stuff to do, there's a lot of customization and that's a big plus for me too.

Syrenne is quite a character so far too, strong headed, alcoholic, dirty (yes, that way), greedy, well she's awesome. :)

tls126hkpq.png

tls535uwj69.png

fr3shme4t

Neo Member
Who's fault is it for the slow-downs? I'm very curious as to what is causing it.

Well, it's not really single persons fault... basically there's just some times where too much stuff is going on, where stuff is a combination of too many characters, too many effects at the same time, etc.

It's not "my fault" because I wasn't the guy to decide how many enemies to place or which effects should be enabled at a given time. It's also not really any single persons fault, because it can be really hard to balance performance vs graphics vs gameplay for all of the various levels and scenarios a game like this has.

There's always a compromise between framerate and graphics quality, you can decide to not compromise on framerate but that means lowering the overall graphic quality. For better or worse graphics sell, so most teams will take better graphics with unstable frame rates.

Anyways, I think the average framerate isn't too bad overall, and except for large battles, is about as stable as most other games out there.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
My mom watched me play a bit of this tonight, and she was appalled by Syrenne's default attire and lack of manners. :lol

I like Syrenne a lot, myself.

Yeah, I usually go for full manual like in Tales of games.

Just using the Auto for a bit, I came upon a situation where I was trying to move behind boxes but Zael kept on trying to hit the enemies on the other side. So I'm probably going to go back to manual real soon. To avoid things like that.

I do like the different animations you get with auto attacks but I'd rather not die because Zael wants to smack a guy who's in front of him instead of running past him.
Yeah, I noticed he was doing that in the first dungeon and switched to Manual right away. I figured it would be a problem in the future, and depending on how cramped the space is (ex: some of the arena environments when you're trying to hide, then attack), it would become a problem.

CorvoSol

Oh, I'm sorry Chapter 18, did I say this game was like FF9? You mean to tell me it's going to pretend to be Chrono Trigger for a minute instead? Okay.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaanyway, I love this game. That last Tiger fight was a MUCH better boss fight. I just wish these boss fights didn't all have gimmicks.

Got the BLOOD SWORD and it is GLOWING RED. Sooooo cooooool. Gotta get that inviso-dye!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Reading through some of the comments...

if you're playing in AUTO mode you're doing it so wrong. Would this game even be enjoyable for anyone in AUTO mode? I dunno, it's completely stupid. Manual should be the default for those playing this game. I feel bad for anyone who plays AUTO.

Anyways yeah one of my top favorite JRPGs, maybe like number 5 or something. I really enjoyed it.

Seik

Banned

if you're playing in AUTO mode you're doing it so wrong. Would this game even be enjoyable for anyone in AUTO mode? I dunno, it's completely stupid. Manual should be the default for those playing this game. I feel bad for anyone who plays AUTO.
Anyways yeah one of my top favorite JRPGs, maybe like number 5 or something. I really enjoyed it.

I know what you mean, I agree, still some people will prefer AUTO for whatever reason, FFXIII is a good exemple of that.

In my case, the simple sight of that 'auto-battle' command pisses me off. :p

jorgeton

Manual is the way to go, if only to mash on the A button like a crazy person when trying to get a massive chain.

Is anyone else enjoying multiplayer as much as I am? The lobby conversations can get hilarious.

Zornica

Banned

seems you don't know what you'r talking about. Auto isn't automatic, it's just an alternativ to button mashing. Your character doesn't hit automaticly. you only hit when pushing the stick in the direction of the enemy, which is a real interessting mechanic imho. There is hardly a difference between pushing a button or pushing the analog stick.

But I guess I did it sooooo wrong, because I not only beat the game with "auto", I even did it while having fun. At least more fun than during the 50 minutes I tried with mashing the A button.

Woo game came in. I won't be able to play it until I finish Xenoblade though, so it'll be a while. :(

The packaging is super classy and the OST bonus is fantastic. The music is so good.gif.

I think the running into people to attack thing is kind of neat like in Ys if I remember correctly.

The only issue I have with it is sticking to people that you don't want to attack.

They could of made y a "Hold this button to not attack anything" so I could run through enemies without worrying about the auto attack delaying me.

As for now, you're only options to get through people with Normal is to guard walk through them or roll through them. I would rather be able to run in certain situations and Normal doesn't let me do that.

Cheska

Man, about 5 hours in and I already can't get enough. I really like the voice acting, I was kind of "meh" on Xeno's voice overs but TLS is sitting well with me :D

Also, um Dagran and Syrenne are by far some of the best characters in an RPG. Love, love,love them!

bh7812

Banned
I finally got my copy too on Tuesday! I haven't opened it yet as I'm saving it to play on Wii U but I can honestly say I'm really impressed with the packaging job XSeed did! I think it's really neat they made it how the game, and the artbook are supposed to be inside of a story book. Very nice touch. Anyhow, I very much look forward to playing the game later in the year on the Wii U now that the hard part is done..getting a copy.

Quick question on multi-player, how are character levels handled?

If I hop online does it have to be with someone of near/equal level or is it like its own game?

Also, is there America/Europe cross play?

Side quests are boring as hell and hard to track. I can just skip these right?

I always accidentally progress the story before completing side quests. I agree, there should have been a better way to track quests, although I guess they aren't very important. One of my few complaints of the game. Besides from it looking kinda ugly in some parts and making my Wii sound like its gonna keel over and die.

jorgeton

Quick question on multi-player, how are character levels handled?

If I hop online does it have to be with someone of near/equal level or is it like its own game?

Also, is there America/Europe cross play?

Everyone is level 1. In deathmatch/team battle nothing carries over but in co op you bring over your equipped weapons and armor. Not sure about cross play. You should hop in, it's a lot of fun and you get some cool items to bring into single player.

Gardios

Goddamn the top-half of the dragon armor looks fucking awesome, I can't wait to see what the leg parts look like.

Anyways, onwards to chapter 20!
Luigi'sThe Haunted Mansion

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Wow. I didn't know about this game. Maybe it's time to dust off the Wii and take this baby for a spin.

CorvoSol

Made it to Chapter 20 and got the invisibility dye 2. Bwahahaha
Zael's butt crack
. UGH about having to fight Terracor repeatedly in this place, though. UGH.

Anybody know a good way to accrue Dragon Skins fast? I want the Dragon set Just one full set.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, quests should have been tracked in this game so far. Like, some quests span over a few chapters, so at least it would have been more organized to keep track of 'em.

Zael's butt crack

Anybody know a good way to accrue Dragon Skins fast? I want the Dragon set Just one full set.
Finish Chapter 20 first. Then go back to the
Haunted Mansion
, go in the first room, and walk around the edges behind the statues to find the gold chest with a chance to get Dragon Skins or Dragon Fangs. Exit out with the map after getting the chest, and go in again. I think there's another place to try to do the same thing, but I forgot where it is.

On a related note, I'm an idiot and ended up redoing the first dungeon today and I think I didn't get XP out of it, but a lot of drops.

CorvoSol

Goddamn the top-half of the dragon armor looks fucking awesome, I can't wait to see what the leg parts look like.

Anyways, onwards to chapter 20!
Luigi'sThe Haunted Mansion

The legs are not as cool as the top, mostly because of DEM TOES. Also, upgrading the top gives you the most hilariously oversized of helmets.

But yes, I'm sportin' the helmetless Dragon top with Heavy Greaves, because frankly, Heavy Greaves are the coolest in the game. DAT BUTT CAPE.

Anyway, I think I'm just gonna advance the plot now. I have the Dragon Armor, Invisible dyes, and Calista's Dress, so I can't think of anything else I NEED NEED right now.

Pyrrhus

I think the running into people to attack thing is kind of neat like in Ys if I remember correctly.

The only issue I have with it is sticking to people that you don't want to attack.

They could of made y a "Hold this button to not attack anything" so I could run through enemies without worrying about the auto attack delaying me.

That's what your block button does. It also lets you vault over people and cover, so if you want to reposition, just hold it down.

How do you guys get past people that block constantly?

I try vaulting over them but that only works for one hit.

I'm more talking about how to do this when you have no backup from your team.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I'm sorry if this has been addressed, but does anyone know if Amazon's current stock still has the artbook?

Esura

Banned
I always accidentally progress the story before completing side quests. I agree, there should have been a better way to track quests, although I guess they aren't very important. One of my few complaints of the game. Besides from it looking kinda ugly in some parts and making my Wii sound like its gonna keel over and die.
I notice there is some slowdown in parts of the game too, particularly in Chapter 10's boss fight.

Zael's butt crack

...how do you get invisible dye?

This is important information sir. :D

Ok I got this sword from a chest called Lapis Lazuli.

It does 5x damage on gathering burst to everything.

It really feels like I'm cheating since everything dies as soon as I burst now.

Credo

The Last Story started out as about a 6 for me in the first few hours, but after finishing it, I think I will give it a solid 8. I enjoyed the combat system once I got used to it, and I highly recommend that everyone switch the attack mode to Manual. The story wasn't outstanding and I predicted a lot of the ending events midway through the game (which I usually can't do very well), but I ended up liking it overall, due in large part to the characters. Early on in the story, I thought, "Here's the stereotypical noble protagonist, stereotypical crude drunk, stereotypical smarmy loner," but somewhere along the way, I got really attached to all the party members and was sad to leave them once I finished the game. I think the voice actors did pretty well to very well, depending on the character, and I don't remember anyone standing out as doing a bad job. Usually, I expect an RPG to be easily 50-60+ hours, but it didn't really bother me that I finished the game at about 30 hours. I would have been happy to spend another 10-20 hours in the world with the characters, but I'm glad I didn't need to spend over 100 hours in the game like with Xenoblade (even though that game was a 10 for me).

I only really disliked two things about the game. There was a lack of sidequests, and I would have liked a little more to do apart from the main story, although I guess some of the optional chapters could have played that role. Also, I may only think the sidequests were lacking because I started this right after finishing Xenoblade, which had something like 400+ side quests. Also, I wish that so many of the boss battles weren't so focused on using gimmicks that you don't really use again.

Overall, The Last Story was a fun game that I don't regret buying at full price at all. Even though the title is "The Last Story" and *SEMI-SPOILERS*
the ending doesn't really leave an opening for more stories in this game world
, I would be glad to play a sequel to this game.

Seik

Banned
Nice review Credo!

Can't wait to give it some more time during this week-end. I got the game monday and I only played 6 hours so far, I'm at chapter 11 and the story is starting to get interesting.

Damn you, job! D:

Will there actually be a non-collector's edition of this game or is it just a marketing ploy?
The first run of the game all have the goodies, sans soundtrack which was a pre-order bonus.

I wouldn't merely call it a marketing ploy, as it's cool stuff added in at no additional cost to the consumer. It's not like they added a few free character skins, slapped a "Special Edition" sticker on the cover and was done with it.

Damn this for not having a JP language track. I'm used to the Japanese names and these new ones are throwing me off. The English voices aren't bad thus far though.

massoluk

Banned
After 12 hours in, the game upgraded from so-so to pretty good. Armor/weapon upgrades turned out be surprisingly addictive incentives. Soundtrack still disappoints.
I'm guessing I'm supposed to be moved by Zael knight trial and the duel with general (a la Final Fantasy IV's Paladin ascension), but I really didn't give a shit at all. The trial sorta come out of no where, feel pretentious to be honest.

Everyone is level 1. In deathmatch/team battle nothing carries over but in co op you bring over your equipped weapons and armor. Not sure about cross play. You should hop in, it's a lot of fun and you get some cool items to bring into single player.
Thank you! Well, I'll test out the whole US/EU thing this weekend, perhaps. I hope it works.

CorvoSol

I notice there is some slowdown in parts of the game too, particularly in Chapter 10's boss fight.

...how do you get invisible dye?

This is important information sir. :D

In the first chapter where you're allowed out on the town,
there is a maiden in the tavern who asks you to bring her four angel threads or something, and sends you to look at blue birds in the plaza. Finish her quest and you get the first invisible dye, which lets you see everybody's chests to some extent or another.
When you return to town
Go to Artisan's Way, and she'll mention a thief, who is conveniently right there. Chase him down and he'll surrender the key, for which she rewards you with the second invisible dye, which lets you see everybody's bottoms.
In the end, you can run around town in just your knickers and bras.

If you have trouble with the second part of the quest, go to the Arena, compete, then come back and you can try it again.

Just got the Knight's Armor! It has horrid stats, but it doesn't seem so bad. When I can upgrade it, I'll probably make Zael wear it. I went back to the Stealth Armor and Heavy Greaves on him because the Dragon Armor didn't suit my tastes. So I put it on Dagran, since he's Kain anyway.

ALSO: Much as I don't mind Zael, Dagran and Calista, I kinda prefer Lowell, Syrenne, Myrania and Yurick. Those four seem to have all the heart and soul in the game. Zael is as typical JRPG protagonist as you get, and Calista is the same, with Dagran being the ever popular rival. And I acknowledge their right to be in the game and again, I really don't mind them, I kind of even like Zael and Calista's scenes (because of Calista's accent, mmmmmmm) but yeah, Lowell, Syrenne, Mirania and Yurick are where it's at.

So for those who know, how long is the game if you're just interested in finishing the story? I think I'm around Chapter 13 ish, as we just dropped anchor on a mysterious island. I know that's probably not far at all, but I'm curious.

Credo

So for those who know, how long is the game if you're just interested in finishing the story? I think I'm around Chapter 13 ish, as we just dropped anchor on a mysterious island. I know that's probably not far at all, but I'm curious.

I'd say finishing it can take anywhere from 25 to 35 hours depending on your pace. I did a lot, but not all of the sidequests, and I finished it at a little over 30 hours.

There are
chapters in the game, counting the optional chapters.

Massoluk said:
After 12 hours in, the game upgraded from so-so to pretty good. Armor/weapon upgrades turned out be surprisingly addictive incentives.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who felt that way. I don't remember the point for me when the game turned from a borderline chore to a more fun experience, but it definetly happened.

I agree about the upgrades too. I'm normally the type to horde items in a game and not ever use them unless I'm absolutely forced to (megalixirs, elixirs, etc.), but I started upgrading early in this one and never stopped the whole way through.

Top Bottom