• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Official Thread |OT|

mjc

rainking187 said:
Got my CE from Amazon, also in a bubble mailer. What the fuck Amazon? It's damaged, so it's going back.

EDIT: And Amazon is sending me a replacement copy with one day shipping. This is why I keep shopping there. Hopefully this one is packaged correctly.

Yeah I just got my copy and its all smashed from the bubble mailer too. Gonna have to call them up.

Edit: They're sending another copy my way too, but in the same type of bubble mailer. Hopefully it won't suffer the same fate as the first one. Holy smokes it was crushed hard.

cress2000

mjc said:
Yeah I just got my copy and its all smashed from the bubble mailer too. Gonna have to call them up.

Edit: They're sending another copy my way too, but in the same type of bubble mailer. Hopefully it won't suffer the same fate as the first one. Holy smokes it was crushed hard.

My replacement also came in a bubble mailer today. By some miracle it's flawless.

Still going to chew them out on packaging feedback, though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yuterald said:
So, I have about 17 hours on this game and I just finished Chapter 1. I am definitely addicted to this game. If I am not playing Steel Diver (my only other current obsession) I'm playing this.

If there is one thing I am still disappointed with is the soundtrack. This is the usual Falcom sound team, right? I really, really dislike the boss music. It just sucks. For how many times I've listened to it already it's slowly becoming one of my least favorite boss tracks in any RPG, ever! There are a bunch of tracks so far that I really do enjoy, however. A lot of the 'trail' areas that connect to the major 'dungeons' play a specific track that I really enjoy. The tower music is great and there is a track that plays during serious moments in the game,
like when you are locked up in jail by the royal army for being at the scene of the Capua family crime scene in the abandoned mine,
which is surprisingly my favorite track so far. They do reuse a lot of music though. Other than each town having it's own theme it seems like every dungeon/field/mine shares the same track from before.

Everyone keeps hyping the music up at the later parts of the game so we'll see. You people better not be lying, lol! =)
No kidding. I decided not to spoil myself on the music for the Sora no Kiseki trilogy. It'd better be good later on. I don't like the boss theme much either. It's weird going from Radiant Historia, to a third playthrough of Nier, to this in terms of music, lol. The field themes are really nice, I find. I just finished Chapter 1 as well. End of semesters slow down game time for me.

I decided to put my playthrough of Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars down for this as well. My 3DS has unfortunately been cast aside outside of SSF4 3DS battles at school.

Varion

Yuterald said:
If there is one thing I am still disappointed with is the soundtrack. This is the usual Falcom sound team, right?
It's part of the usual Falcom Sound Team. I've said this earlier in the thread, but FC's soundtrack is definitely the weakest in the series so far. I didn't find it that disappointing really, but certainly if you're expecting something like Ys you'll be disappointed. There are still some really great tracks though, like the final dungeon theme. SC's OST is much better, 3rd's is a massive step up again, and Zero's is just plain godly. At this point the quality gap between Ys and Kiseki doesn't exist anymore.

Also I'll add the rest of the reviews to the OP now.

Yuterald

Coolio. At least there is great music to look forward to. I was kind of expecting Ys style music for some reason, lol. I guess it wouldn't really fit the games atmosphere, but still.

krYlon

Surprised at how funny and witty the writing in this game is. Don't usually expect it in RPGs.

I was wondering, was the original Japanese this funny or has humour been injected via the translation?
I think the same translator did Half-Minute Hero, and that was pretty comedic too.

I honestly can't believe people complaining about the localisation, but then I have only just started. We'll see.

Varion

krYlon said:
Surprised at how funny and witty the writing in this game is. Don't usually expect it in RPGs.

I was wondering, was the original Japanese this funny or has humour been injected via the translation?
I think the same translator did Half-Minute Hero, and that was pretty comedic too.

I honestly can't believe people complaining about the localisation, but then I have only just started. We'll see.
The original Japanese script is really funny as well, although there's a fair amount of extra jokes that weren't in the original. None of the extra material felt out of character at all though, the editor did a fantastic job. I was worried a lot of the humour wouldn't carry over well actually (especially in the case of Olivier), but they made it work.

Varion said:
The original Japanese script is really funny as well, although there's a fair amount of extra jokes that weren't in the original. None of the extra material felt out of character at all though, the editor did a fantastic job. I was worried a lot of the humour wouldn't carry over well actually (especially in the case of Olivier), but they made it work.
All the extra messages for empty treasure chests are my favorite; I can't believe XSEED went to the trouble of adding them in.

Syraxith

krYlon said:

Are they? When I think of poor translation; I think Bandai's LoH games.

Anyway, here's hoping SC gets released by the end of the year.

krYlon said:
I can't say that I've seen very many complaints about the translation so far, quite the opposite actually.

Anyway, I'm about 10 hours in now, and I'm completely addicted.

jackdoe

Gunloc said:
Pro Tip: Always have at least two staggered backup saves. (Completionists especially!)
Heh. I had two staggered saves, BUT, they weren't far enough apart and I missed out on the third volume of Carnelia. I thought I talked to everyone at the Haken Gate but apparently I didn't.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Fuck yeah I got the game (godmother bought it for me XD).

But I stepped on the pin and the badge dislodged from the safety pin (you can still glue it I guess).

Yuterald

So, I have about 26 hours and I just started Chapter 3. Okay, NOW the game is interesting, lol! Chapter 2 was really, really, well put together. Half way through this Chapter shit DEFINITELY goes down. I absolutely cannot stop playing this game now. As someone just mentioned, it's a real nice feeling to have a 'new' RPG series to fall in love with.

Now for some small spoilers...
The school play scene was incredibly well written and very charming. That whole segment was one of the more interesting scenarios in the game so far. The orphanage burning down was really sad too. The silver hair guy showing up finally got me pretty excited to see where this is all going. And holy shit the mayor with the resort deal/crime stuff was insane! The boat chase scene was really fucking cool too! Man, so much happened in this chapter it was nuts!

And yes the scene and music at the start of Chapter 3 was very cool. The town music in Chapter 3 is my favorite so far too. For some reason it reminds me of Bomberman 64 music, lol!

And another good review...

Go!GamingGiant - 8/10

The "cons" listed were that the game was too long for a handheld game, and that the music is too catchy. I'm not sure how those are problems. :3

Gunloc said:
And another good review...

Go!GamingGiant - 8/10

The "cons" listed were that the game was too long for a handheld game, and that the music is too catchy. I'm not sure how those are problems. :3

Most RPG reviews' negatives nowadays are pluses for me. This is no different.

Augemitbutter said:
you have to make up negative points if none are present ;)
The only other con listed in that review is that Estelle may be considered annoying by some people, but you could say that about any character in any game.

I could understand how some people may not enjoy her personality, but I think she's hilarious. And I also find it strange when people say she's dumb. Ditzy yes, but I definitely don't think she's stupid.

sillik

Banned
How are the loading times ? and how speedy is the battle system ? The game looks really nice and being well written is a big big plus! I've been looking for a sweet psp rpg for a while, and if this is suited for short burst play i'll definitely hop the sky strain :)

sillik said:
How are the loading times ? and how speedy is the battle system ? The game looks really nice and being well written is a big big plus! I've been looking for a sweet psp rpg for a while, and if this is suited for short burst play i'll definitely hop the sky strain :)
The loading times are basically non-existent. The only time I've seen a loading screen is when starting up a save.

Fights are not crazy fast though. The battle system leans more towards a SRPG style. Regular encounters don't take too long, but you won't be blasting through them in three seconds either.

But you can save at anytime in the game, so it's really easy to start and stop whenever you please.

Volcynika

Gunloc said:
The only other con listed in that review is that Estelle may be considered annoying by some people, but you could say that about any character in any game.

I could understand how some people may not enjoy her personality, but I think she's hilarious. And I also find it strange when people say she's dumb. Ditzy yes, but I definitely don't think she's stupid.

"What's the name of this place Estelle?"
*Says the wrong name*
"Yeah that's wrong..."
"Shut up! I'm a growing girl!"
"What kind of excuse is that supposed to be?"

Volcynika said:
"What's the name of this place Estelle?"
*Says the wrong name*
"Yeah that's wrong..."
"Shut up! I'm a growing girl!"
"What kind of excuse is that supposed to be?"
I haven't got to that part yet. XD

I still don't think she's truly stupid though, more of an airhead. She has her moments of insight and clarity.

Breaking down and buying a Cradle/Component Cable setup for my Go so I can play this on a big screen. The tiny text/interface is almost unbearable on a Go. Otherwise, very enjoyable game thus far.

Kikujiro

Freyjadour said:
Breaking down and buying a Cradle/Component Cable setup for my Go so I can play this on a big screen. The tiny text/interface is almost unbearable on a Go. Otherwise, very enjoyable game thus far.

If you only have a PSPGo, remember to buy a standard PSP charger, because the Go's one doesn't work with the cradle.

Kikujiro said:
If you only have a PSPGo, remember to buy a standard PSP charger, because the Go's one doesn't work with the cradle.

The...PSPGo's charger does not work with the PSPGo Cradle? I mean I have a PSP-2000, but what? :lol

Varion

Freyjadour said:
The...PSPGo's charger does not work with the PSPGo Cradle? I mean I have a PSP-2000, but what? :lol
Well it does, but not for your purposes. There's only one universal connector or whatever they want to call it port on the back of the cradle, so if you want to use that for the component you have to use a standard PSP charging cable. Someone at Sony really didn't think things through.

It's worth it though. I used to hate using my PSP until I got the Go (purely for PS3 pad support), but now I seem to spend most of my time on it.

Another positive review.

RPGLand - Very Good/10 (This is their rating system.)

An interesting review. Despite it being generally positive, I disagree with most of the issues the reviewer had with the game. Oh well, to each their own.

And now, back to the game. :)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
10 hours in at Bose

The Oliver and Joshua thing made me LOL.

wrowa

My copy from Canada finally arrived today at my home in Germany <3

Since I still have to finish Radiant Historia, Trails in the Sky has to wait for yet another few days. I looked into it today for roundabout 15 minutes though, and I'm already in love with the games charm.

But I can't deny that I've got the feeling that the walking speed is going to seriously bother me. She's walking so freakingly fast.

Aeana said:
She isn't stupid at all.

yeah, she's actually pretty sensible, especially when my first impression was that of a female stahn. the cast is all a good set of tweaks on rpg character cliches. (as i noted on the podcast, joshua as the male "mana princess" -- the pretty, passive, emo sidekick with a mysterious and/or magical past -- is my favorite twist.)

Yuterald

Final Chapter, motherfuckers!!! Loving the game. Been playing it all weekend. The story is getting really good. I can't wait to see where this game is going and how it concludes. Lots of cool shit goes down in Chapter 3, but I still think as a whole I dug Chapter 2 the most. That chapter had the most interesting NPCs and the side quests were the most varied so far.

Hopefully, I can beat this game by tomorrow night and check out how new game+ works and all that neat stuff.

Volcynika

I hate this boss sooooo much.

(End of chapter 2 spoilers, at least it seems I'm right at the end of it)

The mayor's pets. I obviously can't survive if I kill one of them alone because his death equals beefing up the other one. URG. Gotta try to kill them at the same time...

Yuterald

Volcynika said:
I hate this boss sooooo much.

(End of chapter 2 spoilers, at least it seems I'm right at the end of it)

The mayor's pets. I obviously can't survive if I kill one of them alone because his death equals beefing up the other one. URG. Gotta try to kill them at the same time...

If you continue to struggle with boss battles, I suggest going into the battle with at least 100 CP. I honestly did not have too much difficulty with those guys, but I could see it being tough, and I do believe I killed them off around the same time by coincidence.

I have been making sure I enter boss battles with max CP (200) or at least over 100 so I can pull out my S-Breaks if I need to. It's ESPECIALLY handy to have these ready at the start of the battle because if there is a STR UP or Critical Bonus available at the start of the battle you can just interrupt a turn and take full advantage of the bonus.

Anyway, I am on the final chapter still and it's a looooooooong chapter. So fucking good though! The major story threads have been revealed and holy shit some big stuff is brewing. I really don't want this game to end, lol! The story definitely is living up to all the hype it received. =)

Varion

hosannainexcelsis said:
I guess these are this game's metal slimes. Any tips for how to defeat them?
Charge your S-Crafts up in advance.

The only other way to really damage them is the instant death status effect the Shadow Spear art has.

matmanx1

So many great hand held titles out right now I'm hardly using my consoles or PC at the moment. I've still yet to pick this one up (I know, it's horrible but I plan to rectify that situation soon!) but the positive reviews and good word of mouth is great to see.

Hopefully the series will gain fans and pick up steam here in the US and abroad. It's be nice to have it all localized and make money for XSEED!

Volcynika

Oh yeah, when I was at Gamestop earlier ,I saw every single LE XSEED has put out recently (Lunar, Ys games, and this one) and I was wondering why they had not been bought. :(

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
About 2 hours in and doing some grinding during breaks at work. Liking it a lot already. Picked this up over The 3rd Birthday and don't regret it.

finished with 38 hours on the clock. missed/skipped/expired a ton of sidequests. please tell me xseed has the sequel lined up for a release this year (ah, such fragile hopes). gunna ng+ this bad boy

hosannainexcelsis said:
I guess these are this game's metal slimes. Any tips for how to defeat them?
Have your S-Craft/Breaks ready before you go into the battle.

Though if you are trying to get both their item drops, the earlier you try, the better. As you continue through the game, the Shining Poms get stronger and they have much more HP. I farmed the items from their appearance in Rolent. I just saved before the fight, and kept reloading the file until they dropped one of the items.

Drinky Crow said:
finished with 38 hours on the clock. missed/skipped/expired a ton of sidequests. please tell me xseed has the sequel lined up for a release this year (ah, such fragile hopes). gunna ng+ this bad boy
Probably not this year, but the voice acting for the second and third game is already done. I'm hoping that strong sales for this game will convince XSEED to put the next one on the front burner.

Top Bottom