• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Official Thread |OT|

Siliconera is accepting fan questions for an interview with Falcom about the Kiseki/Trails series. You can submit your questions in the comment section.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Finally my copy arrived in the old continent. What a gorgeous premium edition for just 10$ extra. Loving the thick, colored manual as well. Looking forward enjoying the game asap.
The manual is awesome. I knew it would be nice, but I was even more pleased with it than I thought I'd be. If only all companies put this kind of attention to detail into their products.

Gunloc said:
Siliconera is accepting fan questions for an interview with Falcom about the Kiseki/Trails series. You can submit your questions in the comment section.

The manual is awesome. I knew it would be nice, but I was even more pleased with it than I thought I'd be. If only all companies put this kind of attention to detail into their products.
Thanks for the heads up, these chances don't appear much and I sure don't want to miss asking them something. Although, right now, my mind is drawing a complete blank; too much to ask, too little time/space.

In the final chapter now. Story is picking up. Got all the Carnelia volumes as well. Currently exploring the second set of Grancel sewers. I've heard that Final Chapter is quite long. How much more do I have?

Into the 1st chapter (this game has a prologue to the prologue of the prologue! AND IT WORKS DAMMIT!)

I've finally placed what the regular battle music reminds me of, too: Radiata Stories.

mjc

Oh man I feel like such an idiot.

So I'm like 25 minutes in at the orbal factory, learning how to equip quartz. Scherazard says I have to equip support and attack quartz but I can't do it, I don't have any extra quartz from what they gave me. I can't wrap my head around the orbal system as it stands. :(

mjc said:

So I'm like 25 minutes in at the orbal factory, learning how to equip quartz. Scherazard says I have to equip support and attack quartz but I can't do it, I don't have any extra quartz from what they gave me. I can't wrap my head around the orbal system as it stands. :(
What quartz do you have right now?

flowsnake

I thought it happened like this:

1. Schera gives you some sepith
2. You buy some new quartz with the sepith
3. You equip the new quartz

At which stage is this not working?

Yuterald

bishopcruz said:
In the final chapter now. Story is picking up. Got all the Carnelia volumes as well. Currently exploring the second set of Grancel sewers. I've heard that Final Chapter is quite long. How much more do I have?

A decent amount left. The final dungeon took me about 3-4 hours because there are SOOOOOOOO many monster-in-the-chests. If you want to thoroughly explore the final dungeon, which you should because it has the best gear in the game, it will take quite a bit.

Yuterald said:
A decent amount left. The final dungeon took me about 3-4 hours because there are SOOOOOOOO many monster-in-the-chests. If you want to thoroughly explore the final dungeon, which you should because it has the best gear in the game, it will take quite a bit.

The first monster-in-the-chest at the side of a road in Rolent fucked me up something good. Those damn kitty thingies were so easy when they weren't in a chest, too. :/

I think I've been staying at about 2 levels above what you're supposed to be at to get some challenge since then though, everything is so easy. It's amusing when Estelle goes "Ohhh, so this is what X looks like!" when I was just there, killing all the monsters and looting all the chests.

mjc said:

You should have sepith enough to make quartz. Talk to the other guy in the orbal factory and make the ones she's suggesting. Should be HP 1 and Action 1. Equip them on Estelle and Joshua, respectively.

eLZhi said:
You should have sepith enough to make quartz. Talk to the other guy in the orbal factory and make the ones she's suggesting. Should be HP 1 and Action 1. Equip them on Estelle and Joshua, respectively.
^This.

Don't feel too bad mjc, it happened to me too.

Giriath_89 said:
The first monster-in-the-chest at the side of a road in Rolent fucked me up something good. Those damn kitty thingies were so easy when they weren't in a chest, too. :/
Yeah, those things were suprisingly difficult and killed me the first time I opened that chest. But I went and killed them a little later (not so much for revenge, more so just to see what the text would be after I emptied the chest).

BentMyWookiee said:
Yeah, those things were suprisingly difficult and killed me the first time I opened that chest. But I went and killed them a little later (not so much for revenge, more so just to see what the text would be after I emptied the chest).

I saved them for last before I headed to Bose. By then they were almost as harmless as all the other kitties. The first time I was smug when they all started charging, but then when it came their turn to attack the first of them took about a third of Joshua's health...and then there were seven more. FML. I have fled once because of them. :(

I'm currently going insane trying to find the journalist and his eccentric photographer in Bose by the way. But it's alright! I'm quite sure I've exhausted every route except going south, which I accidentally discovered I could do only after searching every nook and talking to every person in Bose three times and going as far as I could on all other roads.

flowsnake

Giriath_89 said:
I'm currently going insane trying to find the journalist and his eccentric photographer in Bose by the way. But it's alright! I'm quite sure I've exhausted every route except going south, which I accidentally discovered I could do only after searching every nook and talking to every person in Bose three times and going as far as I could on all other roads.

Check the bar. I missed him there too.

flowsnake said:
Check the bar. I missed him there too.

I've checked there, even more than the three times I've checked everywhere else! Are there some doors in there that I've somehow missed? I actually think it was the first place I checked. Seemed like the place he would be, or if not there then the hotel.

Giriath_89 said:
I've checked there, even more than the three times I've checked everywhere else! Are there some doors in there that I've somehow missed? I actually think it was the first place I checked. Seemed like the place he would be, or if not there then the hotel.
He's in the bar, but easily missed. Should be at the table to the left at the top of the first flight of stairs, if I'm thinking of the right place.

Go_Ly_Dow

I'm only on chapter 1 but is it best to save my money and crystal things until I get further in to the game?

At the moment I'm trying to buy the best equipment and weapons for my party.

Any general tips for these early stages?

eLZhi said:
He's in the bar, but easily missed. Should be at the table to the left at the top of the first flight of stairs, if I'm thinking of the right place.

I'll check, and he probably is there if you're both saying it. I was so sure he wasn't in the city though. I think they're a bit too obvious about where Joshua might originally be from by the way. Every time it is mentioned he gets all dodgy.

M_Night said:
I'm only on chapter 1 but is it best to save my money and crystal things until I get further in to the game?

At the moment I'm trying to buy the best equipment and weapons for my party.

Any general tips for these early stages?

You may want to see if you're high enough level to reach and loot monster-in-the-chests before you buy all the best gear in your current city. Generally those have better gear than what you can buy. A tip for getting the most sepith out of monsters is using your aoe arts and crafts when you have the sepith bonus, because you get the additional sepith for each strike.

mjc

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll try it out tonight. I think I was too tired last night to even pay attention to the game.

What do you guys do with those white little things that SPARKLE and run away? I save them for last and hope my S-Breaks will one-shot them once I'm levelled up and adequately equipped. They give some nice sepith and experience.

finally started playing this game, i'm at the beginning of ch. 1 right know. love the optimistic nature of the game and the battle system looks like fun too.

i know you can find treasure chests scattered around, but are there any items hidden in vases and other interior decoration? just want to make sure.

Augemitbutter said:
finally started playing this game, i'm at the beginning of ch. 1 right know. love the optimistic nature of the game and the battle system looks like fun too.

i know you can find treasure chests scattered around, but are there any items hidden in vases and other interior decoration? just want to make sure.

Not that I've encountered yet, but I'm only at chapter 1 too. I make a habit of exploring absolutely everything I can in RPGs that I like, including checking with each NPC for additional dialogue after every major event (this happens often in Kiseki).

Giriath_89 said:
Not that I've encountered yet, but I'm only at chapter 1 too. I make a habit of exploring absolutely everything I can in RPGs that I like, including checking with each NPC for additional dialogue after every major event (this happens often in Kiseki).

yea, i love hat too. it's truly like games arts' major rpg series (lunar, grandia). i got one chapter of a book talking to a npc, i assume there will be more as time goes on.

flowsnake

Augemitbutter said:

There's one item like that I've found, I think it was in one of those little blue chests in a dungeon.

Augemitbutter said:
yea, i love hat too. it's truly like games arts' major rpg series (lunar, grandia). i got one chapter of a book talking to a npc, i assume there will be more as time goes on.
Yes, there will definitely be more books. If you want all the of them and you aren't using a FAQ, make sure you take to everyone after every event.

The window of opportunity for some of them are extremely narrow.

RPGamer has posted their review for TitS. :)

RPGamer - 4/5

Augemitbutter said:
sounds like a pain, but not painful enough to do FAQ reading. i'll try to grab as many as possible.
It's time consuming, but I find it most enjoyable considering the top notch NPC dialogue. Collecting all the Carnelia chapters also nets you one of the best weapons in the game.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm in the final chapter. Looking forward to SC already!

Apparently, I've noticed a few "errors":

1. One of the NPC's dialog in Grancel says "Brithday".
2. One of the NPC's dialog in Zeiss doesn't break the dialog (meaning the entire dialog is in one line, thus overlapping and cutting some words).

Man, even though I know some of the plot points ahead of time, the story is still so addicting.

I've been losing sleep every night staying up just to play this game.

i'm still at the beginning. can you port to town later in the game? i don't like walking back to town after quests and hitting low level mobs on accident.

Augemitbutter said:
i'm still at the beginning. can you port to town later in the game? i don't like walking back to town after quests and hitting low level mobs on accident.

There's a Quartz that lets you see enemies on the mini-map. That helps when you don't want to fight them, and also when you want to attack them from behind (which I always do).

Giriath_89 said:
There's a Quartz that lets you see enemies on the mini-map. That helps when you don't want to fight them, and also when you want to attack them from behind (which I always do).
Yeah, but even with that quartz, I still wish there was some sort of fast travel. Doesn't take long to run back and forth, but it just seems like a waste of time and almost tedious. Not quite, but almost. But then again, I seem to willing do a lot of it, so maybe it's just my own fault.

Ricker

mjc said:

I stopped there also,couldn`t figure out how to do what was needed as well...since the game is a no show in Canada(well in the Province of Quebec anyway) I got it through PSN...is there somekind of online manual somewhere for when you buy games digitally like this...maybe it`s explained a bit better in the manual.

eLZhi said:
Yeah, but even with that quartz, I still wish there was some sort of fast travel. Doesn't take long to run back and forth, but it just seems like a waste of time and almost tedious. Not quite, but almost. But then again, I seem to willing do a lot of it, so maybe it's just my own fault.

Can't you use airships later in the game? I'm still at chapter 1 so
air traffic is still suspended.

Yuterald

Giriath_89 said:
Can't you use airships later in the game? I'm still at chapter 1 so
air traffic is still suspended.

No. This game is cut off central. Once you are done with a region you move onto the next and never look back. It would have been cool to have been able to fly around and visit old locals, but it wouldn't really mesh with what's going on by the final chapter. That's what the awesome new game+ is for! =)

I'm already on my second playthrough and I am on the final chapter again. You can BLAST through this game if you skip everything and just follow the main story. I am saving my 3rd run of the game for my max BP/100% run and figured I'd make my second run of the game a quick clean up of the monster/recipe guide and a few other things.

Word of advice for those just starting. If you plan to 100% this game, but don't want to follow a guide, you may want to reconsider and AT LEAST have a Carnelia book guide by your side. I didn't use any guide my first time and I missed pretty much every book. I also felt like I talked to lots of NPCs between major story events. While it is fun to run around and talk to everyone the window of opportunity for a lot of these books is pretty ridiculous.

When you acquire all the books you can trade them for 1 of 2 ultimate weapons for Estelle and Joshua. You can save yourself an unnecessary playthrough by just following a small guide. Then again, my second run of the game is still around 10 hours and I on the final chapter so you can definitely make quick runs of this game.

Also, I am not sure how anal people are about finishing a bestiary/monster guide, but I always find myself addicted to these sorts of things. There are a few events in this game if you decide to do them perfectly you miss out on fighting a few enemies. For example...
In the final chapter when you infiltrate the villa to rescue Kloe, if you take too much time and get caught by the soldiers you have to fight them and they are a unique enemy entry. The max BP guide makes sure for you to not get caught so on one playthrough you will ultimately miss fighting these guys.

Ricker said:
I stopped there also,couldn`t figure out how to do what was needed as well...since the game is a no show in Canada(well in the Province of Quebec anyway) I got it through PSN...is there somekind of online manual somewhere for when you buy games digitally like this...maybe it`s explained a bit better in the manual.
None that I'm aware of. You could always head to GameFAQs, as there are two full guides up. That particular section is easier than it seems at first, they just don't explain much so it's confusing. You should have enough septium to create the slots and quartz needed, and then some. Estelle needs any available quartz except Action 1, Joshua needs Action 1. You equip them through Orbment in the start button menu. Once you figure it out, it's actually really easy. Again, the game just doesn't explain shit to you.

Hobbun

Giriath_89 said:

I think I've been staying at about 2 levels above what you're supposed to be at to get some challenge since then though, everything is so easy. It's amusing when Estelle goes "Ohhh, so this is what X looks like!" when I was just there, killing all the monsters and looting all the chests.

Yeah, that first monster chest beat the crap out of me a couple times as well, at first. I think I was around 7th level and had some better quartz to take them down.

I don't think I am ahead of the curve level-wise now, but I do find myself grinding sometimes for sepith, so I can make my quartz or unlock slots. I am about halfway through chapter 1 and trying to finish unlocking everyone's slots. At least everyone that I have at the moment.

finish the game in 53 hours, it's been awhile since I play 50+ hours rpg. great game. the ending is a bit out of nowhere, but I guess it setup a more interesting premise for 2nd chapter. and I check SC opening on youtube and holy shit, that looks way more epic and crazy than FC.

can't wait to play it.

is there any save data transfer between FC and SC?

Yuterald

Callibretto said:
finish the game in 53 hours, it's been awhile since I play 50+ hours rpg. great game. the ending is a bit out of nowhere, but I guess it setup a more interesting premise for 2nd chapter. and I check SC opening on youtube and holy shit, that looks way more epic and crazy than FC.

can't wait to play it.

Yes, apparently having max BP in FC unlocks a really good quartz at the start of SC. This quartz, however, can apparently be acquired during the later parts of SC so it's not unique. Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I also believe Estell's level carries over and maybe a few other things.

Yuterald said:
Yes, apparently having max BP in FC unlocks a really good quartz at the start of SC. This quartz, however, can apparently be acquired during the later parts of SC so it's not unique. Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I also believe Estell's level carries over and maybe a few other things.

if EStel's level carry over, does that mean you start the game at whatever level you beat FC? wouldn't that make the game way too easy?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
How is Trails in the Sky 3 related to FC and SC?

Varion

Callibretto said:
Yeah, you carry over:

- Party levels between 35-40. Any higher and you start at 40. Any lower and you start at 35. Anywhere in between and you start at that level. If you've got no save data from FC at all you start at 35. Note that this is only for the characters you have at the start of SC, the rest will naturally join at higher levels.
- Any interactions you've made in quests. A fair number of the quest NPCs from FC reappear in SC, and if you helped them then they'll remember that, and possibly even give you a bonus item or some extra mira.
- Finally, if you got max BP then you get a Fortune quartz.

Callibretto said:
if EStel's level carry over, does that mean you start the game at whatever level you beat FC? wouldn't that make the game way too easy?
Well see above but no, not really. Anyone who starts at 35 will catch up to 40 fairly quickly, anyone who starts at 40 won't get much EXP at all initially. By the end of the prologue it pretty much evens out.

ULTROS! said:
How is Trails in the Sky 3 related to FC and SC?
Takes place a few months after SC ends, stars most of the same characters in addition to a bunch of new ones (and lets you play as some characters you couldn't in FC/SC), doesn't take place in Liberl. Anything else would be a spoiler.

Giriath_89 said:

that was a fun fight. i got killed in 2-3 hits the first time i opened that chest. after that i finished three quest and came back. still a challenging fight, but i made it. now i want more of those fights.

Augemitbutter said:
that was a fun fight. i got killed in 2-3 hits the first time i opened that chest. after that i finished three quest and came back. still a challenging fight, but i made it. now i want more of those fights.
There will be many more of those, trust me.

Yuterald

Has anyone else finished the game here yet? I just cleared the game for my second time and the ending still sends chills down my spine. The wait for SC is going to be soooo painful! This is like waiting for Xenosaga Episode II after playing EP1 or waiting for Episode III after playing EP2! Only this time the story is actually REALLY, REALLY good and not convoluted and semi-retardo!

(I still really like XS though, lol!)

Tom Lipshultz (a.k.a. Wyrdwad) of XSEED posted on GameFAQs some good news about the sales of this game so far...

Wyrdwad said:
I can't give you guys numbers... but I can tell you this: it's not a flop. No need to worry on that front. :)
This is great to hear. I really hope this game continues to keep building it's fan base. The word of mouth has been quite positive so far, so hopefully that will convince more people who are on the fence to give it a shot.

krYlon

That's great news.

The game had to rely on word of mouth, as the mainstream gaming media has almost completely ignored it.

Yuterald

Well, I decided to hold off on my third final run of FC until SC is announced for NA. I don't want to burn out on the game as I have put nearly 70 hours into it already. I think I am going to dive into that Bandai "Gagharv Trilogy" next. I have all 3 sealed for PSP still sitting on my shelf so I think now is the time to check these games out. I keep hearing that these ports are god-awful. Are they really THAT bad? I am not playing the original PC emulations anytime soon with a script translation either, it's just too much of a hassle right now.

That's great to hear about the sales though. I am sure we can definitely expect at least SC for now.

Top Bottom