• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky PC |OT|

Gu4n

Personally, I would rather wait with Cold Steel until Cold Steel II has a release date, because the former ends on an absolutely terrible cliffhanger that's even more cruel than FC's.

Also, going from SC to CS is quite a change of pace. CS is more along the lines of FC whereas SC ramps up the pace from an early chapter onward.

Personally, I would rather wait with Cold Steel until Cold Steel II has a release date, because the former ends on an absolutely terrible cliffhanger that's even more cruel than FC's.

Also, going from SC to CS is quite a change of pace. CS is more along the lines of FC whereas SC ramps up the pace from an early chapter onward.

Think it's safe to say we'll probably get CS 2 around the same time next year (October/November), especially if Falcom wants Xseed to start on the next Trails game that they've been working on and get it out within a decent timeframe of Japan getting it.

aravuus

This makes me excited. I thought FC's twist or cliffhanger wasn't nearly as big as some people made it out to be, but it was still awesome and after thinking the majority of FC was just "okay", the ending alone got me really hyped for SC.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Second Chapter - Localization Blog #2

Sound like the QA was pretty hard.

And uploading the entire script in a Google Doc lmao.

In some ways, not quite as crazy as you might think - Google Docs is stupid good for out-of-office, cross-timezones collaboration like they needed with Jess (or even as an easy way to send changes to Japan, like we at CF did on This Starry Midnight We Make, though I don't know if XSEED used Docs for that purpose on SC). I do kind of wonder if the Docs devs at Google ever imagined the Docs viewer would be used with a block of text as... large as SC, though.
emot-v.gif

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
In some ways, not quite as crazy as you might think - Google Docs is stupid good for out-of-office, cross-timezones collaboration like they needed with Jess (or even as an easy way to send changes to Japan, like we at CF did on This Starry Midnight We Make, though I don't know if XSEED used Docs for that purpose on SC). I do kind of wonder if the Docs devs at Google ever imagined the Docs viewer would be used with a block of text as... large as SC, though.
emot-v.gif

When I was working on some Light Novel translations, the sheer amount of text in those would randomly decide to crash our browsers on load. I can't even imagine trying to load a script the size of SC's, and having your day job depend on it.

emot-v.gif

I understand those advantages. But, for me, common sense would indicate to separate the scripts by chapter at least.

You know divide and conquer.

Gu4n

I understand those advantages. But, for me, common sense would indicate to separate the scripts by chapter at least.

You know divide and conquer.
That's not the way Falcom compiles their files, though. They create a file per 'room', in which a room can be a room, indeed, but also a cut scene or a series of entries in CAPEL. All strings of dialogue that are called in, say, the Rolent Cathedral may have been crammed within a single file.

Ultimadrago

Do Joshua and Estelle not drink in the Japanese version either?

Don't be stiff sticks. Drink! Schera is so alone drinking by her lonesome.

Ultimadrago

I love how there is a food for everything (in terms of status boosts/effects) and how characters "remember" when they've been to a location or have done a quest ahead of time. It makes the cast feel more connected and alive. A small touch that makes a difference.

Vylash

always been meaning to ask, when you lose to a boss and the battle restarts with the boss being weaker, is there a limit to that? or does it just keep weakening the boss until it has like 100 hp or something?

Cqef

always been meaning to ask, when you lose to a boss and the battle restarts with the boss being weaker, is there a limit to that? or does it just keep weakening the boss until it has like 100 hp or something?

I don't think the feature has to do with the enemy you lost to, but rather on your own stats, basically boosting them. It works at least twice in my own experience.

Ultimadrago

I've just finished this game (Max Bracer Points). The combat was a tad simplistic, but the character dialogue and unique overworld NPC interactions really took the cake. I want more.

Gimme that Second Chapter now!

Gu4n

I'm playing the Evolution version right now. Though I love the voice acting and the general enhancements to the system, the new artwork style is something that keeps me on my toes. Since I didn't do a whole lot of sidequests when I first played the game, there's plenty of new content to go through. Currently in the latter half of Chapter 2.

aravuus

Every time I see this thread bumped I think SC release date has been announced.

Same here lol

What an annoying period of time, I've got nothing to play at the moment, and in a couple weeks new, massive time-sink games will start dropping like every week (ToZ, Wasteland 2, Blops 3, Fallout 4 etc, probably forgetting a ton)

Guess it's time to re-install TW3 and give it another try

Rootbeer

Banned
is there much of a consensus on the best version to play of Trails 1 of the English versions we have?

PSP or PC (steam)? Other than the obvious advantages of each such as portability vs non portable.

Ultimadrago

I don't think this is going into spoiler territory, but can we actually keep a consistent 3/4 man party in this one? I was somewhat indifferent to seemingly constant swapouts in FC.

is there much of a consensus on the best version to play of Trails 1 of the English versions we have?

PSP or PC (steam)? Other than the obvious advantages of each such as portability vs non portable.

Textures are better on PC and some translation errors have been fixed/updated to be more in line with the later games in the series.

Ohhh thanks! Okay, I guess I'll stick with PC. They seem to be patching it a lot. Something that isn't as easy for them to do on PSP I imagine?

It "can" be done, just it requires them to pass a check with both Falcom and Sony every time they want to push an update. Neither of which really want to deal with it that much anymore. It would be one thing if the game actually had a gamebreaking issue and they needed to get something out, not so much with just updating some text.

It "can" be done, just it requires them to pass a check with both Falcom and Sony every time they want to push an update. Neither of which really want to deal with it that much anymore.

For Falcom's part it's more they have to develop the patch in the first place, from what I understand. XSEED only has direct control of the PC codebase (which is unusual for a company of XSEED's size in and of itself).

Joey Ravn

Banned
I have Trails Ep. 1 on both PC and PSP... I think I'm going to get Ep. 2 on PSP. I'm just too busy these days to sit on my PC playing a game for dozens of hours upon dozens of hours.

I just started playing this again amid SC hype, and I'm hoping that someone can help me get situated again. I'm in Bose and as far as I can tell I just Scheherezad in my party (although I don't know why/what her deal is). I just remember doing a quest or two in Bose and getting overwhelmed by the size of the area. It's been at least a year since I played it.

Psxphile

I just started playing this again amid SC hype, and I'm hoping that someone can help me get situated again. I'm in Bose and as far as I can tell I just Scheherezad in my party (although I don't know why/what her deal is). I just remember doing a quest or two in Bose and getting overwhelmed by the size of the area. It's been at least a year since I played it.

Your Bracer Notebook will have notes on the last major story beats, and should (hopefully!) hint at what needs to be done next. If all else fails, visit the Mayor's Mansion just north(?) of the center marketplace as during the course of your stay in Bose you'll be visiting her often. If talking to her doesn't immediately progress the plot then at the very least she'll remind you what you need to do next.

You can also check in at the Bracer Guild, I suppose.

Erheller

A lot of people in the SC thread used this Let's Play to refresh their memories of FC.

http://lparchive.org/The-Legend-of-Heroes-Trails-in-the-Sky/

Top Bottom