• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC |OT| More Olivier Than Ever

Gu4n

Hence the "might". Suppose Falcom might not want to include it themselves, for whatever reason.
Falcom wanted to keep the game at a CERO B rating. Chara-Ani, however, the publisher responsible for the Evolution games, has stepped outside the realm of CERO B with both SC and Ao Evolution and I doubt they would go out of their way to keep The 3rd under C as well. The 3rd Scenario Book also features the entire script of the Door, but indicates what (little) bit is featured in the PSP version, so it's certainly not like Falcom doesn't want you to find out about it or anything.

Not fully aware of the details, but given that (so far) only the PC version would be considered for release, and XSEED's general anti-censorship stance, I'm not sure they would cut it unless it's so extreme Valve/GOG say it won't fly.

Tom might quit if they actually were to cut content, given the ordeal with Senran Kagura ages :p
I watched it and I doubt XSeed would push to censor it. It's harrowing, but it's told through text and nothing explicit is actually shown (or even specifically described really).
In that one image you can't see anything other than her legs, but that's the only thing I could see them needing to change.

It's not something Valve would prohibit either.

flowsnake

The star doors sure are dark from what I've seen, but that one was devastating.

Translation Tuesday is great, by the way. I hope it continues.

Good god that stuff with Renne is terrible

I dont think the series ever hinted at depicting such acts of evil in the world up to that point

what were they thinking?

Gu4n

It will! Originally another Door was scheduled for this week, but due to technical issues we've had to push it back another two weeks. The one after that will probably be split in two, as it's ten times the length of the other Doors.

I dont think the series ever hinted at depicting such acts of evil in the world up to that point

what were they thinking?

The world of kiseki is quite dark. The games themselves are a lot less so. Or shall I say the main stories.

Same for me. I really do still have hope that the Third will be released.

Now the Crossbell games are the ones that I'm a bit more worried about (and Cold Steel keeps taunting me about them, too).

No shit!

The crossbell stuff is such a huge part of the game. Makes me bummed that I wont see that side of it anytime soon

I'd like to add that The 3rd's mainline story is full of nightmare fuel as well.

It this just because thats the kind of Evil that the Grail Knights are tasked with dealing with?

Then again I heard 3rd really isnt about Kevins Job specifically

creid

Near the end of chapter 1, I'm sadly remembering how much of a bummer the boss fights and "ambushed by lots of monsters" fights in FC were. Everyone feels so weak, S-crafts only seem to do 1.5x the damage of a normal attack, and I can't go back and shop for more status ailment protection.

omgfloofy

Banned
Woohoo! I had to sleep and suddenly STUFF TO COMMENT ON.

*crack knuckles*

Tom might quit if they actually were to cut content, given the ordeal with Senran Kagura ages :p

I can't remember when or where, but I think Tom has also stressed that they wouldn't want to edit the scene out. So he's talked about this directly.

I watched it and I doubt XSeed would push to censor it. It's harrowing, but it's told through text and nothing explicit is actually shown (or even specifically described really).
In that one image you can't see anything other than her legs, but that's the only thing I could see them needing to change.

As Guan has also said in this thread, it was censored by Falcom just to keep the game from falling out of CERO B.

There was a surprise and crazy reaction in Japan to the news that Ys Seven became CERO C. Ys Seven spoilers:
Kondo confirmed it was the torture scene that did it, too.
So I assume that Kondo didn't want to run into that, and that he wanted to ensure that the same 'age group' could play 3rd, that could play FC and SC.

Thank you. I hope I can keep it going, too! It was stressful getting the replacement out due to my technical issues. Now I'm learning a completely new tool. and hopefully I don't run headlong into that deadline again. lol

what were they thinking?

I'd like to add that The 3rd's mainline story is full of nightmare fuel as well.

It this just because thats the kind of Evil that the Grail Knights are tasked with dealing with?

A big thing about Kiseki is that some of the darkness that Zemuria hides underneath the surface rarely comes out in the main storylines because of the fact that, with the exception of 3rd, the games are generally about a character starting to scrape the surface to see what's going on underneath the idyllic nature.

I also think that part of it is due to the influence of the Septian Church. Since FC, you basically are given a pretty heavy hint that they are focused on the nature of the people in general- look at the stuff that shows that the Church was involved in Liberl's recovery after the Hundred Days War. Or the various things (like in the museum and so forth) show that the 'Septian Church brought order of the chaos of the dark ages.' Then you have the Bracers helping keep the peace as well. As such, you now have two organizations that people trust immensely to ensure not only their physical wellbeing, but their spiritual wellbeing also.

All of this helps add to the idyllic and cheerful nature of the general populace that is always around in the series. The NPCs who have NO CLUE of what's going on under the surface always seem to keep a positive outlook to everything happening. (And I'm 100% sure that there's reason to this, beyond just making the games a little lighter.)

But when you take them out of the equation, like 3rd does (3rd has far far fewer NPCs for "plot" reasons that I won't go into here), (End SC Spoilers!)
and your main character is not only aware of the darkness under that surface, but has a job that involves WORKING in it
, then you will be running headfirst into the series' nightmare fuel with no recovery from it.

3rd is brilliant in taking you out of the comfortable pleasant and idyllic nature of Zemuria... and into the depths of darkness, horror, and despair that is waiting under the surface for everyone, and you have no way to recover from it.

And one more comment about the Renne door:
The horror that comes out of that door is built on the assumptions of the player, but Zero tells you the truth. And I actually think that the truth is WORSE than your assumptions.

Woohoo! I had to sleep and suddenly STUFF TO COMMENT ON.

*crack knuckles*

I can't remember when or where, but I think Tom has also stressed that they wouldn't want to edit the scene out. So he's talked about this directly.

As Guan has also said in this thread, it was censored by Falcom just to keep the game from falling out of CERO B.

There was a surprise and crazy reaction in Japan to the news that Ys Seven became CERO C. Ys Seven spoilers:
Kondo confirmed it was the torture scene that did it, too.
So I assume that Kondo didn't want to run into that, and that he wanted to ensure that the same 'age group' could play 3rd, that could play FC and SC.

Thank you. I hope I can keep it going, too! It was stressful getting the replacement out due to my technical issues. Now I'm learning a completely new tool. and hopefully I don't run headlong into that deadline again. lol

A big thing about Kiseki is that some of the darkness that Zemuria hides underneath the surface rarely comes out in the main storylines because of the fact that, with the exception of 3rd, the games are generally about a character starting to scrape the surface to see what's going on underneath the idyllic nature.

I also think that part of it is due to the influence of the Septian Church. Since FC, you basically are given a pretty heavy hint that they are focused on the nature of the people in general- look at the stuff that shows that the Church was involved in Liberl's recovery after the Hundred Days War. Or the various things (like in the museum and so forth) show that the 'Septian Church brought order of the chaos of the dark ages.' Then you have the Bracers helping keep the peace as well. As such, you now have two organizations that people trust immensely to ensure not only their physical wellbeing, but their spiritual wellbeing also.

All of this helps add to the idyllic and cheerful nature of the general populace that is always around in the series. The NPCs who have NO CLUE of what's going on under the surface always seem to keep a positive outlook to everything happening. (And I'm 100% sure that there's reason to this, beyond just making the games a little lighter.)

But when you take them out of the equation, like 3rd does (3rd has far far fewer NPCs for "plot" reasons that I won't go into here), (End SC Spoilers!)
and your main character is not only aware of the darkness under that surface, but has a job that involves WORKING in it
, then you will be running headfirst into the series' nightmare fuel with no recovery from it.

3rd is brilliant in taking you out of the comfortable pleasant and idyllic nature of Zemuria... and into the depths of darkness, horror, and despair that is waiting under the surface for everyone, and you have no way to recover from it.

And one more comment about the Renne door:
The horror that comes out of that door is built on the assumptions of the player, but Zero tells you the truth. And I actually think that the truth is WORSE than your assumptions.

Thats pretty nuts since the assumptions you can draw from those scenes are already pretty horrific

Eusis

Plowing through now. Kind of frustrating in Chapter 6 how
fighting assclown Gilbert is both one of those you can't retry like against Loewe in FC BUT you can run out of time, even when you have most of them down. Managed to get a bit lucky and wrecked them in the end though, but my third attempt was exasperating with all but one of them down, and the last one ready to be downed in like one hit.

Near the end of chapter 1, I'm sadly remembering how much of a bummer the boss fights and "ambushed by lots of monsters" fights in FC were. Everyone feels so weak, S-crafts only seem to do 1.5x the damage of a normal attack, and I can't go back and shop for more status ailment protection.
It might be me, but I remember struggling with bosses and strong enemies during the first 4 chapters or so, because I was distinctly slower than enemies, so they played more and could easily start piling on any given character.
That got a lot better afterwards but I think time arts like clock up/down are a lot more critical than in FC.

creid

It might be me, but I remember struggling with bosses and strong enemies during the first 4 chapters or so, because I was distinctly slower than enemies, so they played more and could easily start piling on any given character.
That got a lot better afterwards but I think time arts like clock up/down are a lot more critical than in FC.
I've been skipping clock up because it seems to only last like 3 turns, but I'll keep it in mind, thanks. I caught all the characters up level-wise, went back to the boss and squashed it, so it wasn't so bad after all.

Raytow

what were they thinking?
wat? Lenne says as much in SC, can't recall the dialogue exactly but she implies exactly what happens behind the door, obviously without the details.

Young Magus

So Im on Ch.2 and
I'm getting beaten by the group of 5 pink rabbits when they jump me from behind when setting up the device.

Any tips?

So Im on Ch.2 and
I'm getting beaten by the group of 5 pink rabbits when they jump me from behind when setting up the device.

Any tips?

I don't remember that fight at all actually, but what's your general strategy?

Does Smoke Cannon blind them? Are you using Heaven's Kiss (Schera) or Spiral Edge (Agate) to Advance/Delay turns? Would having Kloe use Lichtkreis give you a 2nd chance in the fight? I wish I could be more helpful than this :/

Wait, where does this particular fight happen? I remember a boss fight after the one on the monument thing, but that was sheep iirc. I know there wasn't a fight for the one by the fortress (you fight a boss before that). I forget if there was a fight for the one in the tunnel though.

EDIT: Phew, the Chapter 8 extermination quest
against the Abyss Worms takes quite awhile, even if the strategy is basically the same as at the end of Chapter 2

Young Magus

I don't remember that fight at all actually, but what's your general strategy?

Does Smoke Cannon blind them? Are you using Heaven's Kiss (Schera) or Spiral Edge (Agate) to Advance/Delay turns? Would having Kloe use Lichtkreis give you a 2nd chance in the fight? I wish I could be more helpful than this :/

Wait, where does this particular fight happen? I remember a boss fight after the one on the monument thing, but that was sheep iirc. I know there wasn't a fight for the one by the fortress (you fight a boss before that). I forget if there was a fight for the one in the tunnel though.

Oops I ment to say sheep lol.

The problem was that they just gang up no matter what I did and if I did any multi target attacks then they just heal/buff and spam the attack where they can hit multiple people.

Here comes the final stretch. I'm pretty deep in the final chapter with
three enforcers down.

I think for my final party I'll use
Zane and Kevin. Kevin's S-break is invaluable and I've made him a very quick healer, while Zane is a pretty nimble tank. I'll put an orb and a grail locket on each of them, while Estelle keeps her masochistic Gladiator set and Joshua has a Gladiator headband and that accessory that raises all stats. If I had more grail lockets, I would probably give one to everyone, though.

Hikami

Just finished the game. I'm glad I stuck with it, I was getting bored to the point of quitting during the first half. The second half was amazing though.

Final Chapter spoilers
I'm surprised there was no cliffhanger, knowing there's a third game. There's Campanella and this grandmaster guy or whatever but.. I think I can live without the third game getting localized, that ending was satisfying enough.

Just finished it. I'm going to let it all sink in and sleep on it so I can form more coherent thoughts, but I absolutely loved the game and the way it ended.
I'm so fucking glad this got a Western release and we could experience it.

Just finished the game. I'm glad I stuck with it, I was getting bored to the point of quitting during the first half. The second half was amazing though.

Final Chapter spoilers
I'm surprised there was no cliffhanger, knowing there's a third game. There's Campanella and this grandmaster guy or whatever but.. I think I can live without the third game getting localized, that ending was satisfying enough.

AFAIK (and I don't know much) 3rd is about
Kevin, who is the MC, while everyone else appears, including Renne. I guess it follows his hunt for Ouroboros heretics and bridges to the Crossbell duology.
But yeah, I agree the ending is satisfying in itself and brings closure to a lot of things.

Final Chapter spoilers

I cant

After playing through most of cold steel and watching the prologue chapter of 3rd...

Its like holy shit

Its awesome and everything is fucking connected

Finally finished it. That was a journey I will never forget. Being able to treasure experiences like these for the rest of our lives is what makes gaming so special.
I want to once again thank all the amazing people that made the localization a reality and of course Falcom for making the game in the first place.

ghostlight_ross

Ghostlight
Managed to finish the game over the holidays, and I must say how glad I am that XSEED managed to get it out.

Not only did it provide answers to lots of the mysteries from the 1st game but I really enjoyed it as a story in its own right, more so than the 1st game which surprised me

Final Chapter spoilers

It was always meant to be a leave-off point in case SC somehow sold, like, ten copies total. There's a lot of sequel hooks but it's very much meant to feel satisfying as an ending.

Finally finished it. That was a journey I will never forget. Being able to treasure experiences like these for the rest of our lives is what makes gaming so special.
I want to once again thank all the amazing people that made the localization a reality and of course Falcom for making the game in the first place.

Managed to finish the game over the holidays, and I must say how glad I am that XSEED managed to get it out.

Not only did it provide answers to lots of the mysteries from the 1st game but I really enjoyed it as a story in its own right, more so than the 1st game which surprised me

yea, they did an awesome job with this game. it was a joy to play/read/experience.

emot-3.gif

It always does me good to see comments like this. I'm glad all of you liked it. It was hell at times, but I'm still real damn proud of the work I did on SC, and maybe even prouder of Robin for doing the base translation of that entire beast.

Man, at this point I really need to start up those localization note blog posts.
emot-v.gif
I know people are still wondering about "Bladelord" and whatnot!

No idea what all this door talk is about, but if TC has a bunch of dark stuff in it, fuck yeah I want to play it

There was a bit of talk about "comparisons to Berserk" being absurd for SC, but the real trick is... it's 3rd that really starts to go that dark. 3rd is fucked up in spots. I don't think there's any real way it would escape an M rating in English, but it should just embrace that.

(It's not like ratings stop people from playing stuff anyway, heyoooooooooo)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Man, at this point I really need to start up those localization note blog posts.
emot-v.gif
I know people are still wondering about "Bladelord" and whatnot!

Wasn't the original Sword Emperor or something? As someone who has no attachment to it, Bladelord is way better.

Wasn't the original Sword Emperor or something? As someone who has no attachment to it, Bladelord is way better.

It was "Kentei". 剣帝. Which is... a lot more complicated than it looks. Yes, 帝 has "imperial" connotations, but...

Like I said, it needs a blog post or nothing at all.
emot-v.gif

Mr.Jeff

Just reached chapter 3 today after about 35 hours (plus about 5 hours for fishing and poker scrubbing) and am slowly working my through talking to the denizens of Grancel a million times.

I've just begun the plot quest for the chapter but I'm kinda hoping my gut feeling about
Renne probably being an agent
doesn't come true. It really lacks any form of subtlety.

Just read the Doll Knight series which was pretty interesting. I'd love to know if any of that has any basis in the real world especially considering some of the names dropped in it. Although it makes you wonder if the citizens don't feel ripped off considering the books are between 4-5 pages.

aravuus

There was a bit of talk about "comparisons to Berserk" being absurd for SC, but the real trick is... it's 3rd that really starts to go that dark. 3rd is fucked up in spots. I don't think there's any real way it would escape an M rating in English, but it should just embrace that.

(It's not like ratings stop people from playing stuff anyway, heyoooooooooo)

Yeah, that was me lol. Well, one of the people who mentioned it, anyway, but absurd was my exact choice of word iirc.

I just got FC (so that I could play SC and then Trails of Cold Steel which is the one that interested me at first) what are the general advices before going in ? Apparently the story and exploration are the best part, what can I do to avoid being stuck on a boss battle apart from grinding ? Thanks !

hohoXD123

I just got FC (so that I could play SC and then Trails of Cold Steel which is the one that interested me at first) what are the general advices before going in ? Apparently the story and exploration are the best part, what can I do to avoid being stuck on a boss battle apart from grinding ? Thanks !
You shouldn't get stuck. Normal on FC is pretty easy, but don't let that trick you into thinking that playing hard on SC is like every other game's normal. Failing that, kill a few shining poms, which are monsters which give insane amounts of xp. Talk to loads of NPCs, don't skip over dialogue.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Both games are easy on normal for the most part. SC has challenging/potentially challenging battles here and there but those are definitely the exception and not the norm. And most are optional guild jobs anyway, only a couple bosses posed much of a threat.

To add to the general sentiment, I'd say grinding is wholly unnecessary as the exp a character gains is relative to an enemy's level. That means if you're underleveled, you'll earn a lot of exp, and conversely, it would be pretty hard to grind several levels above the current zone.

I'll say this though: there's a lot of secondary hidden and missable stuff, so if you absolutely want to do and get everything, a guide might be handy. Make separate saves, also.

omgfloofy

Banned

Final Chapter spoilers

Part of this is caused by the fact that 3rd wasn't planned for development right when SC was completed. Falcom actually jumped to start work on Zero no Kiseki right after SC was complete, but was forced to take a step back and throw 3rd together because they realized there were things that they needed to get out there before they moved forward.

There was a patch a few months after SC's release that not only updated the difficulty of a specific, endgame fight (spoiler:
It's the Loewe fight
), but it also added new dialogue in places, and especially added dialogue that hinted to 3rd's storyline.

I've also suspected that part of the reason why three years passed between 3rd and Zero's launch is because of the sudden shift from PC to console. Falcom would've had to completely change the platform of the game if they started Zero right after SC, as Kondo's stated. I am pretty sure that the history of the development of this series is pretty interesting and would love to hear about it in more detail sometime, too.

That single scene in the ending raised my interest in 3rd dramatically.

Question for anyone who has played other Kiseki games,
do Estelle and Joshua ever make an appearence again?
Please don't forget to spoiler tag.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
That single scene in the ending raised my interest in 3rd dramatically.

Question for anyone who has played other Kiseki games,
do Estelle and Joshua ever make an appearence again?
Please don't forget to spoiler tag.
Yes they do, in 3rd, Zero, and Ao.

Kirie

I'm not sure how this would (or if it even could?) work, but does anyone happen to have a save file at/near the beginning of chapter 7 (PSP version) they could give me? I certainly don't need a perfect file or anything, but I would super appreciate if it's possible to do.

My memory card died and then my PC backup was corrupt somehow, and I lost all of my game saves (guess I should have used PS+ cloud saves? learning this the hard way). Kind of heartbroken atm with how many hours of saves I lost :/ Thanks in advance

EDIT: I got helped out by a very kind user. Thank you so much!

kagamin

Just finishing up FC again on PC so I can finally get to playing SC now, I bought SC ages ago but I haven't had time to play... and also wanted a story refresher because I played FC on PSP originally. Now I can put Cold Steel on hold for a while too...

In Chapter 8
during the Jaeger takeover of the Academy, did anyone else find it hilarious that the boss of that quest, Gilbert, only got normal battle music? Especially since all the other Jaegers got Recapture for their fight song. Also it was fun fighting with Analace again but it was a surprise also using Kurt. I forgot that his arts were non orbal, it's too bad that it's probably very intensive learning those abilities, it'd be handy for any future Orbal Shutdown nonsense.

Also, amidst all the crazy shit happening in Grancel in this chapter, did anyone else catch Dorothy snapping photos even though her orbments in her camera should be unsuable?

Baust

In Chapter 8
during the Jaeger takeover of the Academy, did anyone else find it hilarious that the boss of that quest, Gilbert, only got normal battle music? Especially since all the other Jaegers got Recapture for their fight song. Also it was fun fighting with Analace again but it was a surprise also using Kurt. I forgot that his arts were non orbal, it's too bad that it's probably very intensive learning those abilities, it'd be handy for any future Orbal Shutdown nonsense.

Also, amidst all the crazy shit happening in Grancel in this chapter, did anyone else catch Dorothy snapping photos even though her orbments in her camera should be unsuable?

Yes, I loved how they did that! It was a nice touch.

Eusis

EDIT: Phew, the Chapter 8 extermination quest
against the Abyss Worms takes quite awhile, even if the strategy is basically the same as at the end of Chapter 2
That was REALLY frustrating. I got around it by
realizing the attack was AOE and throwing everyone far apart. Was able to survive long enough that way.
Retry offset may or may not have also helped, was hard to tell if it was even working.

Top Bottom