• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC |OT| More Olivier Than Ever

Shantom

The latest patch fixed some of the achievements. I was able to get Penguin De Samba and Blue Knight, and my counters for Master Chef and Master Fisher seem to be working now, but I'll have to catch all the fish again.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Just progressed the main quest of Chapter 5 after completing the side quests. Seems like it might end up being the shortest chapter yet. Is that accurate?

Might be the shortest at that point, but it's still not really "short."

Never not be Thirsting: it's the Trails Fan's way!

I'm thirsting, just not for the right games. I have Cold Steel in the shrinkwrap and don't even want to play it. Want 3rd and Crossbell though. :(

Alright, finished chapter 6. I do like how it was more eventful than the rest of the game, though still kind of slow for my tastes.

Also tell me I'm not the only one
that absolutely hates Estelle and Joshua's relationship. The former with her being too obsessive about it and the latter with him being an all around fuckhead for the whole game. Makes me think of Naruto and Sasuke and the bullshit that entailed.

Psxphile

The latest patch fixed some of the achievements. I was able to get Penguin De Samba and Blue Knight, and my counters for Master Chef and Master Fisher seem to be working now, but I'll have to catch all the fish again.

Thanks for the heads up. Fired up the game and managed to finally get Master Fisher and Master Chef by loading up my old saves. Even though I had filled the fishing book I still needed 5 fish (including Dynatrad) to complete the achievement. Didn't take me too long to track 'em down (at least 3 of them were some of the rare fish in the Ruan area). Master Chef was easy enough: loaded my endgame save and went to town, reloading to replenish my ingredients occasionally.

While I was at it I also finally completed Breakfast Safari (seems Bacon only appears during that brief period in Rolent when you're patrolling at night) and Ramblin' Gambler (had 8 out of 16, got a Straight Flush in Poker which gave me 4 points and the rest came from re-reading Gambler Jack volumes 11-14).

Only need three more to close this one out: Treasure (missed like 10 or something), Full Bracer Points (ended the game 4 points short) and Penguin (managed to get the counter up to 8 by reloading a Chapter 8 save, I guess the Divine Penguin counts as one but then that still leaves one missing?). Maybe I'll get those in a New Game +.

EDIT: Hm... trying to reload the Chapter 2 End save (since my very next save in Chapter 3 has the sidequest to goes into Limestone Cavern completed already) and the game keeps crashing. That's unfortunate.

bobohoro

Finally arrived at the final chapter, after Xenoblade Chronicles X taking up my game time last month. And wow at the post-game scenes of chapter 8, too much great stuff.
Already looking forward to the finale and the little heartbreak of parting with the cast, it was a (looooong) sweet ride.

Don't know if I'll jump straight into Cold Steel when that comes out here in the EU next week or play something else in between.

Einhander

that absolutely hates Estelle and Joshua's relationship. The former with her being too obsessive about it and the latter with him being an all around fuckhead for the whole game. Makes me think of Naruto and Sasuke and the bullshit that entailed.

It'll get even more grating as the chapters roll by.
It's a good thing Estelle and Joshua stop being main characters after SC.

ramyeon

Does the Steam 100% save file in the OP work with the GOG version of this? I played the PSP version of FC and was thinking to play this on my laptop so bought from GOG, unfortunately I didn't think about the save transfer beforehand.

Famassu

Does the Steam 100% save file in the OP work with the GOG version of this? I played the PSP version of FC and was thinking to play this on my laptop so bought from GOG, unfortunately I didn't think about the save transfer beforehand.
It does. I have SC from GOG and I used the save file from the OP.

I'll admit that I was a bit salty about them getting together at all because a strong sibling brother and sister relationship is somewhat uncommon, but in the end I do think this is one of the better videogame romances I've seen. It grows in a way that makes sense without feeling either artificially elongated (to keep the "fun" will they figure it out portion alive) or rushed.

Eusis

You consider the ages when they actually met and I think that makes it work out better too. It'd be one thing if they grew up together from, like, 3 or even 5, or were actual blood siblings, but they met when they were 11. That's late enough that they're more like childhood friends that spent a significant portion of their lives under the same roof than a normal brother/sister.

I don't even care about the sibling angle. They've bypassed the Westermarck Effect by meeting later in life.

I just don't like the fact that Joshua is an edgy fuckhead for half the game yet is still pretty much a harem protagonist by having multiple girls after him. The dude is the least likable male character in the game and significantly brings down Estelle's character with her obsession over him, something that's clearly portrayed as a positive despite the guy not being worth it.

Like I said, it's friggin Naruto and Sasuke.

It'll get even more grating as the chapters roll by.
It's a good thing Estelle and Joshua stop being main characters after SC.

Well that's disappointing. Now I just want to rush through this so I can get to Cold Steel which hopefully doesn't have a similar shitty relationship.

Nyoro SF

I don't even care about the sibling angle. They've bypassed the Westermarck Effect by meeting later in life.

I just don't like the fact that Joshua is an edgy fuckhead for half the game yet is still pretty much a harem protagonist by having multiple girls after him. The dude is the least likable male character in the game and significantly brings down Estelle's character with her obsession over him, something that's clearly portrayed as a positive despite the guy not being worth it.

Well that's disappointing. Now I just want to rush through this so I can get to Cold Steel which hopefully doesn't have a similar shitty relationship.

Edgy fuckhead...? Are we talking about the same character? The guy who keeps going out of his way to rescue Estelle from herself and others over and over? The one that enjoys talking and working with Estelle, clearly cares about her, and mentions so multiple times?

And having multiple girls like a guy because he's good looking and cool doesn't make him a harem protagonist, neither in the anime/manga sense or even in dictionary form. In fact, it's just mirroring real life. lol

Edgy fuckhead...? Are we talking about the same character? The guy who keeps going out of his way to rescue Estelle from herself and others over and over? The one that enjoys talking and working with Estelle, clearly cares about her, and mentions so multiple times?

And having multiple girls like a guy because he's good looking and cool doesn't make him a harem protagonist, neither in the anime/manga sense or even in dictionary form. In fact, it's just mirroring real life. lol

The despair eyes, the "we live in different worlds" and "it was just an act" talk, etc. Sure, he does good guy things because he's a good guy but that doesn't make the relationship any less stupid imo.

And I don't care if he's good looking and (generically) cool, he's just not a very interesting character compared to the charismatic and mysterious Kevin or the eccentric Olivier, both who as of now don't have a single potential love interest.

Probably one of the most insane, out of left field, and outright wrong character comparisons I've seen. Impressive.

Nyoro SF

The despair eyes, the "we live in different worlds" and "it was just an act" talk, etc. Sure, he does good guy things because he's a good guy but that doesn't make the relationship any less stupid imo.

And I don't care if he's good looking and (generically) cool, he's just not a very interesting character compared to the charismatic and mysterious Kevin or the eccentric Olivier, both who as of now don't have a single potential love interest.

Dude I hate to say it but your character evaluation is fundamentally flawed. It reads like someone who sped through dialogue without a care.

For starters... an "edgy fuckhead" is not a good guy. And Joshua is nothing like Sasuke. His background, his motivations, his interaction with Estelle and how much he cares about her. None of it is even close.

Probably one of the most insane, out of left field, and outright wrong character comparisons I've seen. Impressive.

It's better because Joshua does actually think about Estelle in his moment of darkness and at least does help her out once, but the attitudes are comparable as is Estelle's obsession with him.

A solid secret helper character that appear to be on the wrong side would be someone like
Kratos
from Tales of Symphonia, not Joshua.

I can get feeling that way earlier, but by the end of Chapter 6 I can't really understand it. Things have really changed by that point, and Joshua is clearly nowhere near that level anymore.

Eusis

I do feel like there's a somewhat similar dynamic, but Estelle and Joshua are better executed, and actually a romantic couple rather than something that's leaving a lot of bait for jokes and yaoi fans.

Plus given that
Joshua had very legitimate reasons for worrying for Estelle's safety around him
it makes some sense he'd act like that.

I can get feeling that way earlier, but by the end of Chapter 6 I can't really understand it. Things have really changed by that point, and Joshua is clearly nowhere near that level anymore.

Oh, absolutely. Now, he's just kind of there.

Keep in mind I'm only halfway through chapter 7. Maybe he'll be less of a boring character by the end of the game, but for now, I maintain he's the least interesting and likable of the male cast.

I'm happy to learn Estelle and Joshua aren't the two leads for 3rd (if we ever even get it). I'm sick of them.

Eusis

Joshua definitely has his moments, I liked a key one near the end of the final chapter partially BECAUSE
it's exactly the kind of thing you DON'T expect from a character who was "dark and edgy" in ANY fashion
, but given the kind of cast we have in Trails in the Sky I don't think it's even bad to be the least interesting member of the cast given most of the characters are pretty good anyway.

Oh, absolutely. Now, he's just kind of there.

Keep in mind I'm only halfway through chapter 7. Maybe he'll be less of a boring character by the end of the game, but for now, I maintain he's the least interesting and likable of the male cast.

I'm happy to learn Estelle and Joshua aren't the two leads for 3rd (if we ever even get it). I'm sick of them.

I mean, I would agree with Joshua not being the most interesting character (I'd probably only rank Tita below him of the playable characters from FC/SC), but I don't think he's bad. He's just sort of not the most compelling character, especially compared to folks like Olivier, Estelle, Agate, etc.

Nyoro SF

Hates the main characters of a 100+ hour RPG series and keeps playing

jMDGx9b.jpg

I mean, I would agree with Joshua not being the most interesting character (I'd probably only rank Tita below him of the playable characters from FC/SC), but I don't think he's bad. He's just sort of not the most compelling character, especially compared to folks like Olivier, Estelle, Agate, etc.

Yeah, he has a problem where he plays it too straight many times and it makes him less interesting as a character. Especially compared to Kevin and Olivier. I think Zane has a similar problem where he's too much of a soft guy in a lot of scenarios.
But even then, Joshua is nothing like Sasuke.
Unless every cool character is Sasuke.
But even the way they are cool to other characters is different. So that's wrong too. lol

Hates the main characters of a 100+ hour RPG series and keeps playing

jMDGx9b.jpg

You think that's bad? I've hated EVERYTHING about a 100 hour RPG before and still beat it. At least TiTS has a fantastic battle and customization system. Too bad I'm really not a fan of the long-winded nature of the dialogue, the pacing in general, and most of the characters. Maybe I'll fair better with Cold Steel on those fronts once I finish SC.

I think the thing that sold me the most on SC Joshua was
the way his relationship was around the Capua siblings and crew. He treated them as teammates and mutual partners while they were working together doing things like destroying the dolls. By the end it's even safe to say that he thought of them as friends, even considering the offer to work with their legitimate business plans if he makes it through the Ouroboros thing. He even carries over the desire for friendship while still feeling undeserving of it (remember how he tries to tell the Capuas that they don't need to hang around him and his dangers anymore and they've paid their debt, even though they were all on board with helping out at this stage)

At the end of the day, despite the random cool clothes and scarf, Joshua in SC is still Joshua we got to know in FC. Polite, kind, calculating, and desiring affection that he thinks he doesn't deserve. It matches up very nicely with what you see of him in FC. The difference is that all of the years of bonding he had with Estelle and Cassius made him especially scared about what would happen if they got harmed from what was to come. And of course let's not forget that he felt ashamed and undeserving of their love for having apparently handing over secrets about Cassius's whereabouts while under Weissman's mental influence. Though I will admit that looking back, the way he left in the finale of FC was pretty dramatic.

ramyeon

Does anyone know how to use the save file in the OP to import into the GOG version?

Edit: Worked it out! Oh man this looks so much better than on the Vita. Pretty glad I went with this version now.

I don't agree with you at all cosmic blizzard, I think Estelle and Joshua's relationship is one of the best aspects about this game, its well written and feels earned unlike so many romances in jrpgs.

anddo0

I'm early in the game; Chapter 1

I'm trying to do the Sapphire Tower photo sidequest. The only problem is I don't have any "event" items.

How do I go about getting another one to trigger the photo?

Cqef

I'm early in the game; Chapter 1

I'm trying to do the Sapphire Tower photo sidequest. The only problem is I don't have any "event" items.

How do I go about getting another one to trigger the photo?

Did you talk to the guy asking for the photo in Hotel Blanche before going? He's supposed to give you an orbal camera.

Ultimadrago

Okay, I'm in the middle of Chapter 7
about to reach Renne's tower
and while I am loving the game and while I hate "Am I the only one?" questions...

I'm curious if anyone else preferred the story telling of FC. I mean, I appreciate that the story gets into high gear, but things like Agate's
Mischa revelations
and Chapter 7's
exposition towers
really bugs at me. It takes my mind back to a place of standard JRPG setups that I'm not very fond of. Hell, in Chapter 6
The Professor plays on an organ
before speaking with Estelle. FC has its fair share of tropes, but I mean, Mad ham there.

If it weren't for the fact that the game did such an excellent job introducing and building on a majority of the main cast, I'd find it harder to care at all, much moreso as much as I do. This gives me more compulsion to praise the first title's foundation than the second's liftoff.

and while I am loving the game and while I hate "Am I the only one?" questions...

I'm curious if anyone else preferred the story telling of FC. I mean, I appreciate that the story gets into high gear, but things like Agate's
Mischa revelations
and Chapter 7's
exposition towers
really bugs at me. It takes my mind back to a place of standard JRPG setups that I'm not very fond of. Hell, in Chapter 6
before speaking with Estelle. FC has its fair share of tropes, but I mean, Mad ham there.

If it weren't for the fact that the game did such an excellent job introducing and building on a majority of the main cast, I'd find it harder to care at all, much moreso as much as I do. This gives me more compulsion to praise the first title's foundation than the second's liftoff.

I agree with you so you're not the only one, but it definitely feels like we're in the minority.

creid

Just got Chapter 3 underway and am visiting
Grancel
for the first time. Probably took me an hour to run around just the town and talk to all the NPCs. I don't think I'm going to have the energy to make the whole lap around again after every plot point... It sucks because the writing is good and I want to read it, but stopping the plot for 45 minutes every time something happens so that I can read a line or two from less important people really kills the pace.

Mischa revelations
and Chapter 7's
exposition towers

I agree with you so you're not the only one, but it definitely feels like we're in the minority.

I feel the same I think. The revelations in SC are pretty jrpg standard when you really look at it, but it's because of all the characterization and world building (which FC focused on) that I actually care and feel blown away by the plot beats, I think. SC still feels strong because the characterization and world building is still strong here, but FC's more Slice of Life tone works to its benefit in getting me engaged. Interesting since that's the very thing that most people seem to get put off on with completing FC.

bobohoro

Mischa revelations
and Chapter 7's
exposition towers

I think those are pretty legit criticisms, and I share many of them, sans the organ. That's always awesome.

I genereally dislike the pacing of SC and the overall plot structure is mindboggingly standard and repetitive. What makes the game are its world, characters and the well realised script.

Same thing with the Joshua-Estelle-Relationship, really. What seems bland on paper, or edgy, dramatic and dark in Joshua's case, is realised really well with a lot of depth in the details that aren't quite so forefront. The Capua-dynamic that Barrylocke described is just one of the many things in Trails that can be easily overlooked, or forgotten, but ultimately end up creating that strong backbone of a world that both titles rely on to be something special.

That said, I'm just before the final boss. I don't want it to end.

Famassu

Dear god you are bad at reading character relationships & overall assessing personalities. Joshua is about as far from an edgy fuckhead as a person can be. The only thing even remotely edgy about him is his habit of liking to tease Estelle at times. Otherwise he's not really edgy at all. Far from it. He's also not a harem protagonist. Throughout the two games that span, what, over a year (?), this handsome, kind & kinda cool young man probably meets hundreds of people through his work and it just so happens that this good looking, skillful, confident yet not overly obnoxious and kind person is around three girls who develop a proper crush for him. It's not like that kind of thing doesn't happen in real life when someone who looks good, is good at one's job & travels for work meets lots of people of the opposite (& same) sex who develop an interest in that kind of person.

Even if there are a few girls after him, how they handle
Kloe
having feelings towards him is more mature than most anything in any RPGs, western or Japanese. The talk that she & Estelle have when she learns that they both have a crush on Joshua is something that puts the likes of Bioware to shame, even if it is a bit teenage drama-y.

Psxphile

Did anyone had problems with SC crashing often on Windows 10? FC ran fine without any problems.

As I mentioned a little earlier one of my chapter end saves would crash the game when I would try to load it, other saves loaded just fine. I have like 10 pages of saves so I haven't checked them all though, but I recall on my first playthrough that the game would crash when going from one chapter to the next in one (maybe two) instance. Not sure if it's related to Win10... also don't remember if a patch fixed it because I obviously got past that point eventually.

Hm... are you playing Full-Screen? Maybe switch to windowed, sometimes the game behaves oddly when playing Full-screen in Win10.

As I mentioned a little earlier one of my chapter end saves would crash the game when I would try to load it, other saves loaded just fine. I have like 10 pages of saves so I haven't checked them all though, but I recall on my first playthrough that the game would crash when going from one chapter to the next in one (maybe two) instance. Not sure if it's related to Win10... also don't remember if a patch fixed it because I obviously got past that point eventually.

Hm... are you playing Full-Screen? Maybe switch to windowed, sometimes the game behaves oddly when playing Full-screen in Win10.

The game would run fine for a little bit. However after awhile, the program error message would pop up and the game would crash. I was playing on windowed mode with a resolution of 1280x960.

Dear god you are bad at reading character relationships & overall assessing personalities. Joshua is about as far from an edgy fuckhead as a person can be. The only thing even remotely edgy about him is his habit of liking to tease Estelle at times. Otherwise he's not really edgy at all. Far from it. He's also not a harem protagonist. Throughout the two games that span, what, over a year (?), this handsome, kind & kinda cool young man probably meets hundreds of people through his work and it just so happens that this good looking, skillful, confident yet not overly obnoxious and kind person is around three girls who develop a proper crush for him. It's not like that kind of thing doesn't happen in real life when someone who looks good, is good at one's job & travels for work meets lots of people of the opposite (& same) sex who develop an interest in that kind of person.

Even if there are a few girls after him, how they handle
Kloe
having feelings towards him is more mature than most anything in any RPGs, western or Japanese. The talk that she & Estelle have when she learns that they both have a crush on Joshua is something that puts the likes of Bioware to shame, even if it is a bit teenage drama-y.

The bulk of his interactions from chapters 1 through 6 are him being an anti-social edgelord. Regardless of how he truly felt, nothing he said endeared him to the prospect of being crushed on beyond those that want a "bad boy", and the ones falling over themselves for the guy reek of battered wife syndrome. If it wasn't for the rest of the stuff going on in the game, the dude would pretty much be a nasty example of a walking Bechdel test failure.

And when he's not like that (so his FC and post-chapter 6 mode), he's just generic.

Famassu

The bulk of his interactions from chapters 1 through 6 are him being an anti-social edgelord. Regardless of how he truly felt, nothing he said endeared him to the prospect of being crushed on beyond those that want a "bad boy", and the ones falling over themselves for the guy reek of battered wife syndrome. If it wasn't for the rest of the stuff going on in the game, the dude would pretty much be a nasty example of a walking Bechdel test failure.

And when he's not like that (so his FC and post-chapter 6 mode), he's just generic.
Keeping people at a distance because you don't want anyone to get so close to you that they'll get hurt when you are almost certain to do something death-defyingly reckless is not "edgelord" behaviour. And dear lawd, Joshua is not a "bad boy" either. Again, you suck at reading/assessing people. Sasuke is edgy, Joshua is about as far from that as possible, at least for a character who has the kind of past he has.

Sure, Joshua isn't the most exciting character ever, but he has his moments (especially with Estelle, but when he let's his dry-ish humor out he plays decently well against other characters as well). It would get tiring if everyone was as "colourful" as Olivier is. The franchise has enough of those "charmers" already, so a few more normal characters to balance the scale isn't a bad thing in a franchise where honey-tongued pervs are a bit too common.

Eusis

Well, the Joshua that Estelle fell for clearly is the generic guy rather than the "edgelord" (if anything she actively beat that out of him in short order after meeting), although
Josette likely can't make the same claim.
But even then it isn't like Joshua was being the sort of jackass Sasuke was, he was more distant and
trying to convince himself he couldn't go back.

Top Bottom