• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

UberTag

I'm not sure that's entirely clear, the narrative felt more like it was pushing towards a future relationship between the two more than anything. Though my perceptions may be tainted based on what I heard about Third.

There's zero ambiguity about Tita being in love with him though. You'd have to be denser than Rean not to see it.
Does Agate see it? Because I'm not sure he does. And he is pretty dense.

Ultimadrago

Hm, I wish your Linked teammates (in English at least) would say different unique lines as their Link leveled up. You know, getting more intimate and excited as they grow closer. I don't know how possible that is, but heck, I would have taken a "1. Standard 2. Max" deal.

Anyways, for you CS2 people, could you please inform if your Bonds start from ground zero with everyone in the game despite having an old save. Does the Bonding Event system work similarly at all to CS1?

Nyoro SF

Hm, I wish your Linked teammates (in English at least) would say different unique lines as their Link leveled up. You know, getting more intimate and excited as they grow closer. I don't know how possible that is, but heck, I would have taken a "1. Standard 2. Max" deal.

Anyways, for you CS2 people, could you please inform if your Bonds start from ground zero with everyone in the game despite having an old save. Does the Bonding Event system work similarly at all to CS1?

Bonds start at zero, and the events work the same way as CS1.

Nyoro SF

Alright, thanks. Do you still have to play the game multiple times to get all of the Bonding Events done? I will also not do that this time around.

Yes, unfortunately you do.

This time I have my Japanese CS2 save that I converted for USA. So I will start the game with unlimited bond points at the ready. I was thinking about grabbing someone else's save that has more points so I can worry less about the battles that I already did and just focus on the story beats.

Ultimadrago

This time I have my Japanese CS2 save that I converted for USA. So I will start the game with unlimited bond points at the ready. I was thinking about grabbing someone else's save that has more points so I can worry less about the battles that I already did and just focus on the story beats.

Nice! At least you're prepared. As sad as it is, I have thankfully been able to have enough points to track all my favorite characters down at least in-game. Hopefully CS2 will be the same.

aravuus

Would be great if you posted either of the saves somewhere around CS2's release. Someone here gave me a pretty much 100% everything NG+ save (99 of each item, everyone at max level, stuff like that) for CS1 and I have to say, it made the game much, much more enjoyable to play. I shuddered at the thought of doing that utterly, completely dull final dungeon 'legit', without a cheat party, cause really.. The combat system is fucking boring. That dungeon was terrible.

Ultimadrago

Would be great if you posted either of the saves somewhere around CS2's release. Someone here gave me a pretty much 100% everything NG+ save (99 of each item, everyone at max level, stuff like that) for CS1 and I have to say, it made the game much, much more enjoyable to play. I shuddered at the thought of doing that utterly, completely dull final dungeon 'legit', without a cheat party, cause really.. The combat system is fucking boring. That dungeon was terrible.

Wow, that was cool of them. I was looking for a completed save for a while so I could start a New Game + and get the unlimited bond points, but gave up after a while of not finding one and just decided to play through the game.

I like the combat system fine (while not finding it a blast), but I suppose I was okay with Trails' and this is a direct extension of that plus some flash. I don't know about the final dungeon yet, as I haven't been, but the grey walls of the Old Schoolhouse have gotten well "old" since the second time I showed up there. I would have liked some environmental variety amongst all of them by this point.

Psxphile

I could do with a Max Bond Points run for my first time with CSII too. I ended up save scumming on the first run with CSI just so I could see all of the bonds in every chapter. Then I had to decide which ones to keep. :T

Limiting them is no bueno.

Question: is it possible to carry over CS1 data and utilize a completed CS2 save at the same time? My gut says no...

Meffer

Wow, that was cool of them. I was looking for a completed save for a while so I could start a New Game + and get the unlimited bond points, but gave up after a while of not finding one and just decided to play through the game.

I like the combat system fine (while not finding it a blast), but I suppose I was okay with Trails' and this is a direct extension of that plus some flash. I don't know about the final dungeon yet, as I haven't been, but the grey walls of the Old Schoolhouse have gotten well "old" since the second time I showed up there. I would have liked some environmental variety amongst them by this point.
The final dungeon is pretty different from the rest of the school. The difference is that a good number of enemies are tough and can kick your ass if you treat them like common mobs. You'll waste CP on them too so i ignored them when I got to the last stretch.

Ultimadrago

The final dungeon is pretty different from the rest of the school. The difference is that a good number of enemies are tough and can kick your ass if you treat them like common mobs. You'll waste CP on them too so i ignored them when I got to the last stretch.

Wowza, seems like quite the difficulty spike. Is it that jarring (running into real massive damage mobs) given your normal progression or were you just deliberately underleveled?

aravuus

And it's LOOOONG.

Or at least pretty long, might've felt longer than it actually was to me since I hated it so much lol.

Meffer

I could do with a Max Bond Points run for my first time with CSII too. I ended up save scumming on the first run with CSI just so I could see all of the bonds in every chapter. Then I had to decide which ones to keep. :T

Limiting them is no bueno.

Question: is it possible to carry over CS1 data and utilize a completed CS2 save at the same time? My gut says no...
Yeah I kinda agree on this. With Persona it's possible to max every Link in one playthrough but in CS1 you're quite limited meaning to max everyone you have play more one run. I'm not gonna do that and just what I got. I was surprised I maxed Fie and more so when I found her ending in 1 was pretty good.

Meffer

Wowza, seems like quite the difficulty spike. Is it that jarring (running into real massive damage mobs) given your normal progression or were you just deliberately underleveled?
I was moving along at decent pace. And did grind a bit for U Materials sometimes. But yeah, there are certain enemies in the final dungeon that very hearty.

Psxphile

Yes. If you decide to fight the monsters in the last dungeon (especially the final section), make sure your party has Faint protection.

omgfloofy

Banned
Yeah, I think that's it. Hm, seemed much more ominous in memory. Though you have to wonder who he is supposed to be addressing, and for whom?

You're good for questioning that. That's a good thing to spot. I sent it to Guan and Yotaka to talk about it too. I know Guan responded to me earlier on this, but I was too out of it to really look at it in Japanese, too. I've just been too sick to really dig into it more today. lol I think Estelle's comment on it is very telling, too. I'll look more into it later, though.

There's a bit of dialogue with an NPC in 3rd that Kevin directly addresses as well, which has set off my suspicions there, too. But in that case, this was the only named NPC in a group of unnamed ones, and THEN Kevin comments on his dialogue, too. However, I think the protagonist making a questioning comment on it is something to point out suspicion for the player. It's definitely not the only time it's been done.

Gu4n

You're good for questioning that. That's a good thing to spot. I sent it to Guan and Yotaka to talk about it too. I know Guan responded to me earlier on this, but I was too out of it to really look at it in Japanese, too. I've just been too sick to really dig into it more today. lol I think Estelle's comment on it is very telling, too. I'll look more into it later, though.
Since Currant doesn't look around to face the party, it's safe to assume he's talking to the idol of Aidios. The original lines I found read the following:

女神は、自らを扶#2Rたす#く者を扶#2Rたす#ける。精一杯がんばりさえすれば必ずや良き導きがあるであろう。導力文明とはよく言ったものだ。ゼムリアの叡智を世界がこのような形で継承することになるとはな…… 我らにはもはや見守ることしかできぬが……

Although I don't know for certain the first line is part of what Currant says at that very moment, it does start with him addressing the Goddess and thanking her for her guidance of the people.

nikos

Just a heads up, this is currently $23.99 on the NA PlayStation store until June 21st.

Seriously considering picking it up for the Vita. It would be my first Trails game.

Gu4n

Just a heads up, this is currently $23.99 on the NA PlayStation store until June 21st.

Seriously considering picking it up for the Vita. It would be my first Trails game.
And it certainly wouldn't be your last Trails game. By all means, go for it. :)

aravuus

Do it.

Talk to every NPC after every story event for maximum enjoyment and immersion.

Prepare to spend 1xx hours with the game.

quabba

OK bought CS in the current sale and I bought FC in a sale a while ago. Haven't installed either of them but which one should I play first?

If you play FC first, you need to play SC before Cold Steel, because the latter spoils some fairly big things from SC.

Cold Steel is actually pretty vague on a lot of SC outside of one library book. Playing Cold Steel first wouldn't ruin SC. To be honest I don't think SC is something that could be ruined by plot spoilers.

Cold Steel is actually pretty vague on a lot of SC outside of one library book. Playing Cold Steel first wouldn't ruin SC. To be honest I don't think SC is something that could be ruined by plot spoilers.

The only thing I could think of that Cold Steel blatantly spoil is regarding a particular character.

I agree in so far as playing it before either Liberl game goes. But I think FC to Cold Steel to SC is pretty spoilery.

Mostly for Olivier's identity, but also the library book (which I don't think really would stand out if you hadn't played FC, but if you have it's a pretty big descriptor of things to come), and one of the soldiers at Zender Gate mentioning details from Chapter 8.

I think Cold Steel to FC to SC works and makes certain things in FC/SC interesting in a prequel sort of way (
"Ah, so Olivert is in disguise in Liberl for some reason, I wonder what he's up to?"
), while going FC to Cold Steel to SC would just reveal stuff in the most off-handed way possible (
"Oh, I guess Olivier was this guy named Olivert, and he did some stuff in Liberl but now he's back, and he dislikes Osborne for some reason." (And I say this as someone who found Olivier's actual identity obvious from the end of FC, but I still thought the way SC revealed it was fantastic)
).

Although I largely agree that you can't ruin SC through plot spoilers or anything. It's just more down to getting reveals from awesome scenes centered around them, or just in a matter of fact way from a game that assumes you already know all of this. Nothing in Cold Steel would really diminish the experience of playing SC outside of making one scene a bit less cool.

I'd play FC and SC first simply because I think you'll appreciate the combat in CS more coming from those, vs going backwards and feeling how limited the older games are.

Like others have said though I think they work in any order storywise. Just be sure to not mix duologies. I'd finish a pair of games before starting on another in this series.

Thoraxes

Cold Steel on its own is definitely alright.

Change of perspective definitely happens depending on the order played though. If you're someone who really cares about story and will dig into what the world has to offer by exploring every nook and cranny to know why things are the way they are, it'd be better to go in order to have the proper context between the titles, imo.

For the ARCUS, why does it cost more to open some lines than others? Do they effect the Orbments or something?

The deeper they go in a line, the more EP they give the character, so they cost more.

So Emma's(and Elliot's?) Arcus, being one single line, has the most expensive Orbment slots.

Honestly it doesn't make much sense with the Orbment system in Cold Steel. In Trails in the Sky line length also restricted the higher level arts you could use, as they required a combination of Quartz all in a single line, which added value to unlocking slots in one line.

But in Cold Steel the system has been balanced out to benefit non-casters as well. (There are now benefits to Physical attackers having multiple lines) and the line system for arts has been removed, so I'm not sure why the cost has to be higher anymore

Squire

Banned
The deeper they go in a line, the more EP they give the character, so they cost more.

So Emma's(and Elliot's?) Arcus, being one single line, has the most expensive Orbment slots.

Honestly it doesn't make much sense with the Orbment system in Cold Steel. In Trails in the Sky line length also restricted the higher level arts you could use, as they required a combination of Quartz all in a single line, which added value to unlocking slots in one line.

But in Cold Steel the system has been balanced out to benefit non-casters as well. (There are now benefits to Physical attackers having multiple lines) and the line system for arts has been removed, so I'm not sure why the cost has to be higher anymore

Gotcha. Poking around online and it sounds like I should just buy the lines I can afford ASAP and throw some Quartz in there? I'm at the start of
the field study, where you get Laura and Alisa.

Psxphile

It's more beneficial to open the low-cost slots sooner rather than spend loads of sepith on unlocking an entire line. The more quartz you can set, the better off you'll be.

Aters

tips for a beginner?

Talk to every NPC in every town after you make any progress in story. If you can't do that, find yourself a guide. There is no other way to make a full DP run.

If you are not aiming for a perfect run, just play the way you like, the game is not hard.

Psxphile

Money will be hard to come by early on, your main source of income is selling the mass sepith you gain from battle. Upgrading everyone's equipment at all times will be a struggle, so you'll need to prioritize. Fortunately, any party members you don't have with you during the chapter's Field Study will have their equipment upgraded for free in the next chapter.

If mira is still an issue, there's always the 'Omelette cooking exploit' with Elliot. You can make a 1700-2000 mira profit per run once you can afford 99 each of the necessary ingredients.

Top Bottom