• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

MSMrRound

Yeah, I had seen the Japanese subbed one linked, but I had a feeling I shouldn't peek at it. Thanks!

You mean the Sen no Kiseki II demo movie? I couldn't help but take a peek at it, but it was HYPE! I can't really upload it on the television at the gameshop I'm at though, since some of my colleagues haven't finished the first game, and both SnK2 opening song and the demo movie spoils a couple of identities...

Gu4n

Yeah, I had seen the Japanese subbed one linked, but I had a feeling I shouldn't peek at it. Thanks!
You mean the Sen no Kiseki II demo movie? I couldn't help but take a peek at it, but it was HYPE! I can't really upload it on the television at the gameshop I'm at though, since some of my colleagues haven't finished the first game, and both SnK2 opening song and the demo movie spoils a couple of identities...
It is more hype at the cost of revealing more. The ending for Cold Steel II is such a paradigm shift -- Falcom's CEO Kondo rightfully called it a 'game changer' -- that part of me is glad no media has been released of Sen III so far. I don't expect Falcom to reveal anything at Tokyo Game Show but rather their investor's meeting in December, giving CS2 players three months -- assuming release date is the placeholder date of September 6th -- to finish the game without getting the ending spoiled.

That part of me is really small, though. A much larger part is bummed that the game won't be released this year and a three year wait to get that ending resolved is awfully agonising.

Yeah the biggest thing I'm looking forward to with Sen III is being able to participate in the promo cycle leading up to the JP release.

Even though I'll have to wait to play, still looking forward to getting hype at the reveals.

Just PRAYING I get to complete CS2 before it goes full steam

So guys, who is your favorite Cold Steel character, and why is it Sara?

I'm on team Claire. Sorry Sara

and Sharon is right there with her

As you can imagine I can't wait for CS2

Fie is my favorite Class 7 character though.

It's Elise, top tier imouto character

uKkzf1i.jpg

MSMrRound

Fie's my go to for Gladiator items. Just love spamming her S-Craft.

Laura's pretty great too.

-Blue hair
-Pony tail
-Melee user

Kinda ticks my own personal boxes. She kinds of remind me a bit of Kazanari Tsubasa from the Symphogear anime series as well.

Ultimadrago

Late in answering, but...

Best female: Fie, peasy.

Best male: Hmmm. Elliot is so adorable and makes for a nice best bud for Rean. However, Crow's casual delinquence (with gambling and shameless perversion) brought a foil to Rean that I never got with others. It'd be between them.

P.S. Sara is good fun. I'd definitely say Top 5.

Gaius is my favorite male character in the game. I like how functional his life and relationship with his family is. Really rare in these games lol. Also glad to see some dark skin representation in Trails.

Gameplay wise he's the first Agate-archetype party member that I really like using. He's a pretty strong attacker and his weapon range allows him to get counter attacks off of pretty much every evasion.

Is it a spoiler for CS2 story? If that's the case I don't want to know :p.

Edit:

Just got it that's would be pretty neat.

Don't worry I intentionally left out any specific details. lol

Fie's my go to for Gladiator items. Just love spamming her S-Craft.

Laura's pretty great too.

-Blue hair
-Pony tail
-Melee user

Kinda ticks my own personal boxes. She kinds of remind me a bit of Kazanari Tsubasa from the Symphogear anime series as well.

Give her red hair and she's basically Erza Scarlett from Fairy Tail, first time I got her in my party and did her S class I instantly thought this is someone's homage her

MSMrRound

Hmm...so just about to leave for the 2nd field studies for my 2nd playthrough and was trying to compare my current notebook to the wildlife guide:

http://psnprofiles.com/trophy/4154-...OLD-STEEL/5-Field-Guide-to-Erebonian-Wildlife

...and I seem to have encountered all of them, stats+items dropped all seems to be filled up and there's no empty "?????" portions..no idea what I'm missing exactly...welp, time to slowly try to encounter all the enemies and make sure to scan them again...(Got Rean equipped with Dragon Vision+Force master quartz to get rid of the trash mobs just in case as well)

Saphirax

Hmm...so just about to leave for the 2nd field studies for my 2nd playthrough and was trying to compare my current notebook to the wildlife guide:

http://psnprofiles.com/trophy/4154-...OLD-STEEL/5-Field-Guide-to-Erebonian-Wildlife

...and I seem to have encountered all of them, stats+items dropped all seems to be filled up and there's no empty "?????" portions..no idea what I'm missing exactly...welp, time to slowly try to encounter all the enemies and make sure to scan them again...(Got Rean equipped with Dragon Vision+Force master quartz to get rid of the trash mobs just in case as well)

Check again, carefully :p. I had the same problem, turns out I missed
Emma and Laura
because I accidentally one-shot them and forgot to scan them.

omgfloofy

Banned
Finally finished a couple of other games I was playing last week, now I really have to focus on CS. The mission: beating it before CS2 is out.

Meffer

That ending though! I would lie if I said there weren't a few shivers while it all went down. Anyhow, while I have my large reservations with the game (which I wrote earlier), I liked it overall and hope Cold Steel 2 actively improves upon some of my issues.

Around 140 hours total. Rank A0. Chose Fie
for the after-party dance and most of the other personal events in-game
. Cheers to Meffer who was absolutely correct about
her arc being a very satisfying one.
Loved it.

Final Team: Rean-Fie with Alisa-Millium. Just as I had hoped in Chapter 4. Two hard-hitting nimble characters with CP Restoration Support+Tank. Made things even easier in Normal, which I don't mind.

Cold Steel 2 already has that pre-order locked! Is the trailer pretty good about not spoiling events of Cold Steel 2?

Eyyyy! Well if you played the first game I don't think it'll spoil anything.

I can't believe you all talked about your characters when THE BEST character has only so few lines.

But all her apperances were perfect:
20160130133331.png

20160130133418.png

20160130133423.png

----------------------------------------------

20160130134446.png

20160130134449.png

The bar is so high when she's nearby.
Sara is ok , but Sharon , sharon is THE BEST

aravuus

Sharon is easily one of the best characters. If I had to pick someone from my main party, I'd go with Jusis and Fie. Really like them both. Sara is also great. Rest are mostly good, too.

I'm just going to say that my favorite character is just ALL of the characters.

I'm trying to hold off from playing CS again at least until were close to the release date of CS2 but damn is it hard some times...

I really really want CS2 I wish that XSEED would give a confirmed release date already.

TWILT

Banned
Best girl is def Laura, though Sara, Claire and Fie aren't too far behind.
My favorite dude is definitely Jusis though.

Squire

Banned
Enemies in Aurochs canyon are giving me a bit of a hard time. Characters keep getting KOd. I actually had to bail on the last fight that's right outside of the fort.

I'll figure it out, I just hope I'm not under leveled. Everyone is at 17, although Machias is a bit behind since he missed out on boss EXP.

Korigama

Picked up the Lionheart Edition of this for PS3 today (very well-made, and having a box made specifically for holding parts I and II reminds me of Digital Devil Saga). First Trails game for me, so looking forward to getting started.

best female is the biker girl and teacher, dislike modern rpgs trends with characters being playable for a very small portion of the game may aswell not make them playable and use that time to improve the main playable characters. Because I dislike how for example the biker girl shes playable for one small part of the game what is the point of developing a full moveset if your going to only allow her to be used for like 30 minutes.

best female is the biker girl and teacher, dislike modern rpgs trends with characters being playable for a very small portion of the game may aswell not make them playable and use that time to improve the main playable characters. Because I dislike how for example the biker girl shes playable for one small part of the game what is the point of developing a full moveset if your going to only allow her to be used for like 30 minutes.

i haven't played CS2 , but i do imagine that those moves won't be lost playing the sequel

It's a game that was planned too big and had to be halved after all.

anddo0

Finally beat the game, about 30 mins ago.. I liked it a lot, although that final boss wasn't fun at all.. I'd like to do a second run, but due to my backlog. I can't see myself doing another run until next year, if ever.

MSMrRound

Finally beat the game, about 30 mins ago.. I liked it a lot, although that final boss wasn't fun at all.. I'd like to do a second run, but due to my backlog. I can't see myself doing another run until next year, if ever.

I didn't know the O button was a fast-forward option until I'm at like 97% of my first playthrough. Heh. Makes my current second run feels so much faster. Still wish there's a option that's more direct like a skip button.

What's motivating me for second playthrough=more NG+ points to spam on/link levels and some more bonuses can carry over to Trails of Cold Steel II.

Ultimadrago

Thanks to the person that recently brought up the X+O to fast forward feature. I was already mostly through the game, but it saved me from the gratuitous establishing shots introducing each and every scene. I'd like to hope they'd be less generous with them in CS2. Not placing bets though.

pbayne

Lol i just got to the part in Chapter 4
where Rean basically goes super saiyain
, i pissed myself laughing at how ridiculous that scene was.

Lol i just got to the part in Chapter 4
where Rean basically goes super saiyain
, i pissed myself laughing at how ridiculous that scene was.

As if they didnt throw enough tropes at us

His ties to the Eight Leaves school that they built up in the world already was enough of a compelling angle

Instead they decide to give him the lamest quirk ever..... add it to the "Rean is legit horrible" list

Soriku

Lmao seriously. I also fast forward trains and airships moving. Also I get the characters to walk faster...which has caused me to miss a few lines of dialogue because I FF too much, but w/e.

Btw the temporary characters last long enough IMO and are usually strong so I like having them.

Also this game is seriously long. I'm like 95 hours in and not done. You can shave off a couple hours from leaving the game alone for a while, but shit.

pbayne

As if they didnt throw enough tropes at us

His ties to the Eight Leaves school that they built up in the world already was enough of a compelling angle

Instead they decide to give him the lamest quirk ever..... add it to the "Rean is legit horrible" list

Yeah i just kind of pretend Gaius is the actual MC of the party, since he's the actual strong, dreamy stoic dude that everyone would rally around.

Yeah i just kind of pretend Gaius is the actual MC of the party, since he's the actual strong, dreamy stoic dude that everyone would rally around.

I would have taken Crow, Jusis and Gaius

Rean had potential... and they threw it away for the most part

The personal conflict of an Eight Leaves dropout could have made for a compelling character within the established universe...

Instead.... they went full crazy

Soriku

The reason Rean
joined and dropped the Eight Leaves to begin with is because of his demon power.

The super saiyan thing didn't bother me because other characters go super saiyan too, even in battles.

Finally I think there's a good contrast between Rean's kind demeanor and his demon form.

Psxphile

The last time this question came up, it was generally agreed that Crow (or rather, his personality) would have made for a better MC than Rean. It certainly would have made certain interactions more fun.

EDIT: oh okay we're posting spoilers out in the open now are we

Neoweee

Lmao seriously. I also fast forward trains and airships moving. Also I get the characters to walk faster...which has caused me to miss a few lines of dialogue because I FF too much, but w/e.

Btw the temporary characters last long enough IMO and are usually strong so I like having them.

Also this game is seriously long. I'm like 95 hours in and not done. You can shave off a couple hours from leaving the game alone for a while, but shit.

Yeah, the FF is really messy with how it is implemented. It's good, but I end up skipping a ton.

There's probably a ton of overhead in implementing it, but I wish all RPGs had as intelligent of scene & dialogue skipping as recent Bioware games.

The last time this question came up, it was generally agreed that Crow (or rather, his personality) would have made for a better MC than Rean. It certainly would have made certain interactions more fun.

More fun

He had a compelling reason to be doing what hes doing. His theme ties directly with the conflict the country is facing

Rean feels out of place and thrust in with powers that have are entirely new to the series

Sure Im guessing all the mysteries will be solved but Crow would have been superior in every way

Not to mention playing a character that is a double agent in a sense. The tension and spy drama

Fuck Rean man they missed the boat with that pandering character

I'll take Towa as a main character. Thanks.

I like her alot but she was mostly without conflict. Would still be a cool character to have as the lead but they would have to find a way to keep things interesting

Top Bottom