• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

tips for a beginner?

Keep Detection on Rean at all times(except when the game forces him out of active party I guess) and open as many treasure chests as you can.The absolute best gear in the game will come from chests. If you're opening every chest you come across you probably won't have much need for the other resources.

Buy new Master Quartz as they appear. Most of the default ones are not that great, while alot of the ones obtained in shops and from quests can be GODLY. Leveling certain Master Quartz can yield more potent results than leveling actual characters. Find the Quartz you want to level and switch them constantly so that they're always gaining experience. (They still gain experience on Support party members as well.) You should have a good amount of Rank 5 ones by the time you finish the game

Also in Legram, buy Green Pendulums/Evergreens for your entire party. Trust me. lol

Gotcha. Poking around online and it sounds like I should just buy the lines I can afford ASAP and throw some Quartz in there? I'm at the start of
the field study, where you get Laura and Alisa.

I'd prioritize opening lines, but I wouldn't go out of your way to do it. Game is pretty well balanced. You'll have the resources you need to progress your characters when the game feels it's time.

Honestly I don't think I ever synthesized Quartz that often but it's up to you. Imo the best thing you can spend your money on early on are Master Quartz, since they never become obsolete and get stronger with use, so the earlier you get them and start leveling them, the better off you'll be for late game.

Money will be hard to come by early on, your main source of income is selling the mass sepith you gain from battle. Upgrading everyone's equipment at all times will be a struggle, so you'll need to prioritize. Fortunately, any party members you don't have with you during the chapter's Field Study will have their equipment upgraded for free in the next chapter.

Yeah but if you're playing on Normal you probably don't need to upgrade everyone's gear. Even Rean doesn't needed to be upgraded every chapter. because up until the end game you will constantly be finding better stuff.

That said there are some unique pieces of gear that are only for sale in certain cities. If you're gonna buy gear look for stuff that boosts stats other than attack and defense exclusively.(Like Evasion or ATS) Those are the items that will be worth considering late game even over the "best set".

Psxphile

I don't recall getting any worthwhile equipment from chests until the last two chapters. Quartz, yes, and there's plenty to be had. Accessories too, but weapons and armor you're going to have to pick up in shops. Though you'll get the occasional footwear from certain sidequests, but not nearly enough to outfit half your party.

Ultimadrago

Can anyone give me a recap of all that transfers to Cold Steel 2? I know that you get a small bonus for being a certain level by the 2nd game...

Saoshyant

Well, if you care about achievements/trophies, the hardest three to get are the "open all treasure chests", "do every single quest", and "obtain every book", as they are easily missable.

Equip the Detection quartz at all times as soon as you get it and make sure before that you explored every nook and corner of the maps not to miss treasure chests to avoid missing one before they are singled out in the map.

Use a guide not to miss quests or books -- even if you try to talk with everyone at all times, you'll still miss someone, being the worst offender in my opinion the Nordlands area both for a quest and a book because you didn't backtrack like a mad man.

Can anyone give me a recap of all that transfers to Cold Steel 2? I know that you get a small bonus for being a certain level by the 2nd game...

Rank A1: Silver Medal accessory (HP+500, EP+50)
Rank A0: Golden Medal accessory (can't be obtained otherwise, HP+1000, EP+100, STR, DEF, ATS and ADF+10)

Rean's level is 69 or lower: 100 of each sepith except mass, Attack 1, Zeram Powder
Rean's level is 70-79: 300 of each sepith except mass, Attack 1, Soul Blur, Zeram Powder
Rean's level is 80 or higher: 500 of each sepith except mass, Attack 1, Soul Blur, Saintly Force, Zeram Powder x2

I don't recall getting any worthwhile equipment from chests until the last two chapters. Quartz, yes, and there's plenty to be had. Accessories too, but weapons and armor you're going to have to pick up in shops. Though you'll get the occasional footwear from certain sidequests, but not nearly enough to outfit half your party.

Fair enough. The point I was trying to get across was don't blow your money/sepith on stuff that's just going to become obsolete by the next chapter.

Ultimadrago

Rank A1: Silver Medal accessory (HP+500, EP+50)
Rank A0: Golden Medal accessory (can't be obtained otherwise, HP+1000, EP+100, STR, DEF, ATS and ADF+10)

Rean's level is 69 or lower: 100 of each sepith except mass, Attack 1, Zeram Powder
Rean's level is 70-79: 300 of each sepith except mass, Attack 1, Soul Blur, Zeram Powder
Rean's level is 80 or higher: 500 of each sepith except mass, Attack 1, Soul Blur, Saintly Force, Zeram Powder x2

Fair enough. The point I was trying to get across was don't blow your money/sepith on stuff that's just going to become obsolete by the next chapter.

Thanks! I see now. Nothing too crazy then (though that Golden Medal seems like it'd be useful for Early Game).

How are you even supposed to get to level 80 without grinding for hours? Shining pom DLC?

Yeah that's what I did. Just using the free set it took me three runs, but I didn't really mind. Got the plat and learned alot about the game all the while. Obtained and maxed every master quartz in the game lol

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
How are you even supposed to get to level 80 without grinding for hours? Shining pom DLC?

I did tons of setup grinding(all the stuff that raises exp gained and refills CP for Millium) in the dungeon where the red mask enemy appear in big groups and then just obliterated them with Millium did that until Rean was 74? And then used all shining poms. Definitely took a while.

Ultimadrago

It's strange, I'm in Chapter 6 and I've maxed the standard Master Quartz, but I really like the effects of the defaults? Any "Musts" as far as changing? I'm hoping my stubbornness won't be the end of me come the final boss/chapter.

Saoshyant

It's strange, I'm in Chapter 6 and I've maxed the standard Master Quartz, but I really like the effects of the defaults? Any "Musts" as far as changing? I'm hoping my stubbornness won't be the end of me come the final boss/chapter.

Vermillion increases Laura/Rean's damage output like there's no tomorrow. Moebius allows to use items with an AOE instead of single target, which makes a huge difference in making recipe food actually be useful (and quite so at that). At least those two I'd say should be leveled up ASAP.

Depends on who you want to use

Megalith and Moebius are probably the most useful on the most characters though

Psxphile

How to break regular mobs:

Rean/Laura
Equip Force Master Quartz (the higher the level, the better).
Equip anything that raises Strength, Speed and Hit %.
Equip Domination quartz (vital)
Spam Gale/Brilliant Spin on your first turn every battle.

As long as equipment is kept up, most battles will be over on the first turn. If you don't kill them all in one, will be severely weakened and the others can pick them off. Thankfully, CP is refilled by a set amount for every enemy you kill thanks to Force, making this setup rather self-sustaining.

Saoshyant

Ah, yeah, and Megalith, you'll want that maxed up to use with Rean if you are planning running through Nightmare. You'll need the highest possible level you can get to survive the final boss on Nightmare. If you aren't planning to step out of Normal and one run through the game is fine, feel free to ignore Megalith.

Ultimadrago

Has anyone read all of Red Moon Rose? Worth it?

I read Carnelia and Doll Knight in previous games, but those seem much shorter than this one!

Gu4n

Has anyone read all of Red Moon Rose? Worth it?

I read Carnelia and Doll Knight in previous games, but those seem much shorter than this one!
Worth it. It's quite lengthy and not the most compelling book series Trails has to offer, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. I uploaded the English version to my wiki (lots of spoilers, don't browse it) so you can read it more conveniently on a smartphone or e-reader.

Ultimadrago

Worth it. It's quite lengthy and not the most compelling book series Trails has to offer, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. I uploaded the English version to my wiki (lots of spoilers, don't browse it) so you can read it more conveniently on a smartphone or e-reader.

Oooh~ Many thanks! That makes it quite easier to read and track for me. I'll check it out soon.

Ultimadrago

That ending though! I would lie if I said there weren't a few shivers while it all went down. Anyhow, while I have my large reservations with the game (which I wrote earlier), I liked it overall and hope Cold Steel 2 actively improves upon some of my issues.

Around 140 hours total. Rank A0. Chose Fie
for the after-party dance and most of the other personal events in-game
. Cheers to Meffer who was absolutely correct about
her arc being a very satisfying one.
Loved it.

Final Team: Rean-Fie with Alisa-Millium. Just as I had hoped in Chapter 4. Two hard-hitting nimble characters with CP Restoration Support+Tank. Made things even easier in Normal, which I don't mind.

Cold Steel 2 already has that pre-order locked! Is the trailer pretty good about not spoiling events of Cold Steel 2?

Xeteh

So guys, who is your favorite Cold Steel character, and why is it Sara?

Sara is pretty great but I'm not sure if I can decide between her and Fie. Fie comes across as that grimdark brooding character but she's secretly the funniest member of the cast.

Squire

Banned
Was just telling someone yesterday my current top three is Sara, Laura, and Fie and I don't even have Fie yet.

While I'm at it, I like Rean a lot. Like, surprisingly so.

Soriku

Lol @ that thirsty little kid who's trying to go after the blonde and visibly much older nun/Thors student in Trista.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
What are the chances of TGS having Sen III news? Feel like the news(was it from an investor thing?) about it being in development has been a while ago.

Lol @ that thirsty little kid who's trying to go after the blonde and visibly much older nun/Thors student in Trista.

Couldn't help but respect that level of thirst.

So guys, who is your favorite Cold Steel character, and why is it Sara?

Because Sara is the best teacher and has the best dialogue.

Rean and Crow are great too though.

Edit: Oh right, can't forget about Sharon either. She's amazing.

wilflare

I still got my LE sealed but thinking of getting the digital that's on sale on NA PSN now, yay or nay?
(do prices drop that often/frequent)

I still got my LE sealed but thinking of getting the digital that's on sale on NA PSN now, yay or nay?

This is the first time I believe Cold Steel has gone on sale in the PSN store. At least, it hasn't been on sale for that cheap.

I'd go for it, since it's an amazing game and worth the double dip.

wilflare

This is the first time I believe Cold Steel has gone on sale in the PSN store. At least, it hasn't been on sale for that cheap.

I'd go for it, since it's an amazing game and worth the double dip.

do XSeed/Falcolm titles typically go on sale often (drop lower)?
I remember someone mentioned something but I can't exactly remember

Ultimadrago

I actually don't like Rean much at all. As far as characters go, he's sorta just there for me. I find that a few of the more colorful class dynamics partially make up for his lack though.

Also, I just watched the Cold Steel II trailer. Looking forward to it! That said, depending on how soon it'll come I may wait off on actually playing it. My playthrough has me quite on the fatigue lag.

do XSeed/Falcolm titles typically go on sale often (drop lower)?
I remember someone mentioned something but I can't exactly remember

They do, but when it comes to Trails specifically, it usually takes several months before it gets it's first deep sale. But then after that they usually happen fairly often. I think Trails in the Sky SC just got it's second sale since it came out.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I love Jusis' biting cynicism, Crow's delinquent nonchalance, and Niethardt's stern, cool demeanor.

Those are probably my top three.

wilflare

They do, but when it comes to Trails specifically, it usually takes several months before it gets it's first deep sale. But then after that they usually happen fairly often. I think Trails in the Sky SC just got it's second sale since it came out.

I'll jump on this I guess. do I really have to play through FC and SC before I start on this?

Nyoro SF

Laura is the best girl, Jusis is the best guy no doubt.
Maybe it's their good fashion sense.

I'll jump on this I guess. do I really have to play through FC and SC before I start on this?

It is highly recommended to do so. You do not have to. But it's highly recommended.

Gu4n

Cold Steel 2 already has that pre-order locked! Is the trailer pretty good about not spoiling events of Cold Steel 2?
Congratulations on finishing it! The Cold Steel II trailer that was released last week is as spoiler free as possible. Avoid the Japanese one, though; it uses cutscenes from the entire game.

While I'm at it, I like Rean a lot. Like, surprisingly so.
That's great to hear for a change!

What are the chances of TGS having Sen III news? Feel like the news(was it from an investor thing?) about it being in development has been a while ago.
They confirmed Sen III is in development with the concept logo during last year's investor meeting. Hopefully they show something at TGS, but I think this year's investor meeting in December has a better chance.

Yay, if only to express your support of XSEED's efforts.

Squire

Banned
Any recommendations for Master Qusrtz I should look out for? I'd ask for characters they should be equipped to, but after a Google search, it seems like that really varies from player to player.

Which are the ones I should buy/use though?

Ah, I take it he's not popular, eh? That's unfortunate. I just finished chapter 1/saw the start of chapter 2 and yeah, I'm still very fond of him. He has an actual thought-out background and he's adept, but equally fallible.

I really like how
Machias is upset about him hiding his social class.
The thing with
Alisa
was similiarly surprising, even it was a little goofy. These characters don't seem to just form opinions and drop them in minutes. I can really appreciate that.

Any recommendations for Master Qusrtz I should look out for? I'd ask for characters they should be equipped to, but after a Google search, it seems like that really varies from player to player.

Some of the really good ones are end-game. Two you should look out for from the shop are Criminal and Megalith (I believe they're the last two). Criminal is fantastic on a spell-caster like Emma, as it gives a 90% art Crit rate at level 5. Megalith increases XP and also causes HP/EP/CP regen—I don't really use it permanently much, but its convenient to swap on if you want to get someone CP back fast (at level 5 it goes from 0-200 CP in like 15-20 seconds). If you want to grind items, Emblem is great—+100% drop rate and double items at level 5 (bear in mind that the enemy has to be killed by the user). You get it at like rank A2 or A1, I think.

Vermillion is great for Laura. For Machias go for Cypher or Juggler, for stat-downs/status-effects respectively, as the spread on his normal attack can inflict several enemies at once. Those are the only ones I'm wedded to, though, really.

MSMrRound

About to commence my second playthrough. Anything I should look out for? I'm referring to the PSNProfile guide, but is there any good way to stop myself from potentially missing out on opening treasure chests? (E.g is there a # of treasure chest/dungeon/field map guide or something out there?)

About to commence my second playthrough. Anything I should look out for? I'm referring to the PSNProfile guide, but is there any good way to stop myself from potentially missing out on opening treasure chests? (E.g is there a # of treasure chest/dungeon/field map guide or something out there?)

You can
dance with Elise at the festival.
if you choose "none of the above" or similar.

Use this.

Scroll down a bit and has a picture of every map with every treasure chest labelled, among other skippable quests/objects. And obviously use the detection quart to see them on your map.

Edit: It's part of the PSNProfile guide so idk if you're already using it.

Also, (last chapter spoilers)
If you take Emma with you on the motorcycle ride, you get an exclusive NG+ scene. Discovered it on my second playthrough and it was a cool detail.

General Utility/Support:

Moebius - Best Master Quartz in the game. At max rank it double the HP/EP gain off any item, increases the "cast" range of items, and gives items an M Area of Effect around target.

While the usefulness of this item is pretty obvious with Healing items and Zeram powder, where it really shines is with the cooking system. Alot of peculiar and signature dishes give spell or craft effects. So with Moebius you can basically get resource free one turn casts of spells like Adamantine Shield, Insight or 5 turn 50% attack and defense buffs on your entire party.

Megalith - At max rank it gives the equipped character 1.5 experience, but also passively regens their HP/EP/CP on the field. On top of that it also makes you less likely to be noticed by enemies making it easier to get preemptive strikes.

Angel - The best of the default Master Quartz. At Max rank it gives you two full HP/EP/CP revives per battle.

Physical Attack:

Force - Decent for characters capable of wave clearing with crafts.

Tauros - Raises damage of basic attacks by 2.5, but increases delay by 2. I think this one is just ok, but apparently it gets its effect reduced in CS2, so maybe I'm missing something about it. Also I don't really notice the delay. It reads like it applies the delay to the users turn, but to me it looks like it applies the delay to the enemy. If that's the case it's a lot better than I thought.

Vermillion - Doubles damage at high HP. The most stable of the physical damage boosting MQ's.

Orochi - Randomly boosts physical damage and magic damage. Phys cap is 2.5 and magic cap is 1.8. Listing under physical because I think it's a more fun alternative to Vermillion since the damage potential is higher, while there are more stable magic boosting MQ's with higher damage potential.

Murakamo - Increases critical chance and critical damage.(I think crits do double instead of 1.5) Personally I like this one on my "vanguard" characters.(Characters I want to crit to give the characters I stack damage with more turns through link attacks) Works well in combination with Wrath quartz as well.

Offensive Arts:

Criminal - Gives arts critical chance. 90% at max rank.

Pandora - Doubles damage of arts at max rank and increases their area of effect significantly. Trade off is that spells consume more EP. Something like 1.5, it's worth it 100%

wilflare

Congratulations on finishing it! The Cold Steel II trailer that was released last week is as spoiler free as possible. Avoid the Japanese one, though; it uses cutscenes from the entire game.

They confirmed Sen III is in development with the concept logo during last year's investor meeting. Hopefully they show something at TGS, but I think this year's investor meeting in December has a better chance.

Yay, if only to express your support of XSEED's efforts.

since I got the Lionheart for US$32, I'll just jump on the digital sale to support XSEED :3

Squire

Banned
Some of the really good ones are end-game. Two you should look out for from the shop are Criminal and Megalith (I believe they're the last two). Criminal is fantastic on a spell-caster like Emma, as it gives a 90% art Crit rate at level 5. Megalith increases XP and also causes HP/EP/CP regen—I don't really use it permanently much, but its convenient to swap on if you want to get someone CP back fast (at level 5 it goes from 0-200 CP in like 15-20 seconds). If you want to grind items, Emblem is great—+100% drop rate and double items at level 5 (bear in mind that the enemy has to be killed by the user). You get it at like rank A2 or A1, I think.

Vermillion is great for Laura. For Machias go for Cypher or Juggler, for stat-downs/status-effects respectively, as the spread on his normal attack can inflict several enemies at once. Those are the only ones I'm wedded to, though, really.

General Utility/Support:

Moebius - Best Master Quartz in the game. At max rank it double the HP/EP gain off any item, increases the "cast" range of items, and gives items an M Area of Effect around target.

While the usefulness of this item is pretty obvious with Healing items and Zeram powder, where it really shines is with the cooking system. Alot of peculiar and signature dishes give spell or craft effects. So with Moebius you can basically get resource free one turn casts of spells like Adamantine Shield, Insight or 5 turn 50% attack and defense buffs on your entire party.

Megalith - At max rank it gives the equipped character 1.5 experience, but also passively regens their HP/EP/CP on the field. On top of that it also makes you less likely to be noticed by enemies making it easier to get preemptive strikes.

Angel - The best of the default Master Quartz. At Max rank it gives you two full HP/EP/CP revives per battle.

Physical Attack:

Force - Decent for characters capable of wave clearing with crafts.

Tauros - Raises damage of basic attacks by 2.5, but increases delay by 2. I think this one is just ok, but apparently it gets its effect reduced in CS2, so maybe I'm missing something about it. Also I don't really notice the delay. It reads like it applies the delay to the users turn, but to me it looks like it applies the delay to the enemy. If that's the case it's a lot better than I thought.

Vermillion - Doubles damage at high HP. The most stable of the physical damage boosting MQ's.

Orochi - Randomly boosts physical damage and magic damage. Phys cap is 2.5 and magic cap is 1.8. Listing under physical because I think it's a more fun alternative to Vermillion since the damage potential is higher, while there are more stable magic boosting MQ's with higher damage potential.

Murakamo - Increases critical chance and critical damage.(I think crits do double instead of 1.5) Personally I like this one on my "vanguard" characters.(Characters I want to crit to give the characters I stack damage with more turns through link attacks) Works well in combination with Wrath quartz as well.

Offensive Arts:

Criminal - Gives arts critical chance. 90% at max rank.

Pandora - Doubles damage of arts at max rank and increases their area of effect significantly. Trade off is that spells consume more EP. Something like 1.5, it's worth it 100%

This is great. Thanks!

Ultimadrago

Yeah, I had seen the Japanese subbed one linked, but I had a feeling I shouldn't peek at it. Thanks!

Top Bottom