• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

Finalow

Oh, definitely. Don't get me wrong: I'm not the defending the fight. For me it completely killed an interesting ending of a game I hadn't been to happy with for most part. Fortunately, they fix it in the sequel.

60 hours isn't too bad; I played SC, The 3rd, Zero and Ao back to back (~320 hours) and then forced myself to take a break to play Sen and Sen II back to back (~175 hours), only to start over again with FC Evo, ahaha. I love this series.
I do enjoy the series a lot as well, after playing FC+SC together though I realized my best approach would probably be to take a break between each game, lest I get too tired and bored of the formula. in SC there also was the issue of going through the exact same dungeons and locations of FC again, which is something I'd have gladly skipped.
so I still have my doubts about importing Sen II and playing it in the next weeks, but I guess I'll wait to finish this game before deciding.

TWILT

Banned
Got Rean to level 80 thanks to all the Shining Pom DLC going free today. On the last dungeon of my NG+ run now; should probably finish it by tomorrow. Thank you based, XSeed.

Psxphile

Yes, it asks on both New Game and New Game+.

Thanks. This is good to know. Maybe after I finish CSII the first time I'll go back and speed-run CS1 once more to get Rean up to Lv80 for the optimal clear save data. Though at that point I doubt the extra accessory will benefit me at all anymore seeing as you'll still able to carry over your endgame equipment.

... shit, it really is only worth it the first time through. I'm torn, I really don't want to play the game a 4th time (perfectly) in the span of 1 and a half weeks just for a silly accessory that you'll probably be able to buy in a shop halfway through the game. AND YET...

Gu4n

Thanks. This is good to know. Maybe after I finish CSII the first time I'll go back and speed-run CS1 once more to get Rean up to Lv80 for the optimal clear save data. Though at that point I doubt the extra accessory will benefit me at all anymore seeing as you'll still able to carry over your endgame equipment.

... shit, it really is only worth it the first time through. I'm torn, I really don't want to play the game a 4th time (perfectly) in the span of 1 and a half weeks just for a silly accessory that you'll probably be able to buy in a shop halfway through the game. AND YET...
Uhm. It's your school rank that determines the accessory; your level only gives you sepith and fairly generic quartz.

Erheller

i fucked up my save game, I have copied the wrong folder on henkaku (to do a backup of the save, and to use in CS2) and uninstalled the game (to save space on vita for CS2, i have a 4gb vita card only) =(((

if is there any good soul to share an american save file? It can be in the middle of the game i don't mind to re-replay again

thx if anyone helps

Do PS3 files work? If so, tell me what chapter you want the save file from and I'll see if I have one there when I go back home this weekend.

I do enjoy the series a lot as well, after playing FC+SC together though I realized my best approach would probably be to take a break between each game, lest I get too tired and bored of the formula. in SC there also was the issue of going through the exact same dungeons and locations of FC again, which is something I'd have gladly skipped.
so I still have my doubts about importing Sen II and playing it in the next weeks, but I guess I'll wait to finish this game before deciding.
Played cs1, FC, and start SC all within 2 months. I got burn out on SC, it took me 8 months till I finish SC.

Eylos

Banned
Do PS3 files work? If so, tell me what chapter you want the save file from and I'll see if I have one there when I go back home this weekend.

Yes, if the guide on the internet is true. In the last dungeon would be the best.

Thx man you are awesome

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I have this in my cart... but as someone who doesn't like the social link stuff in Persona, comparisons have given me cold feet.

Korigama

It's optional, you can ignore it.
Not if they're interested in going for the Platinum. That's a pretty easy way to keep combat links ineffective, too.

If it helps, bonding events are less frequent than Persona's social links. Furthermore, unlike those, the experience is entirely passive, with no requirement for choosing a best response when interacting with someone during one.

I wouldn't say they're optional, but I don't think they're the entire game like in Persona.

There's no time management system with them and you don't have to re-do them on NG+

They're basically just free points for a system that's also leveled up through combat and completing quests

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Not if they're interested in going for the Platinum. That's a pretty easy way to keep combat links ineffective, too.

If it helps, bonding events are less frequent than Persona's social links. Furthermore, unlike those, the experience is entirely passive, with no requirement for choosing a best response when interacting with someone during one.
Thanks. That seems tolerable.

Cornbread78

Thanks. That seems tolerable.

She forgot to mention the best part that there is a link for the teacher as well, so that makes it immediately tolerable, lol.

If you followed the gamefaqs faq you are cool with this trophy

I'm hoping!

I have this in my cart... but as someone who doesn't like the social link stuff in Persona, comparisons have given me cold feet.

If it helps i very much dislike the social link stuff in Persona (and a lot about modern Persona in general) and i still enjoyed some of the bonding events in this game. At the least there are some really good ones and they're not really as big a mechanic as the social link system is in persona.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Oh, my bad.. Yeah, Sara the bestest anyway.

Yes.

RLAfKhr.jpg

Ultimadrago

Does Sara ease up on the booze comments in CS2? It's always booze this, booze that with her.

Ease Up Wishlist for CS2:

Sara - Booze and Being Old
Angelica - Creepin'
Fie - Her whole deal
Laura - ...Does she have a thing? Honor? Give her a thing.
Gaius - Wind
Towa - Work
Machias - Jusis
Jusis - Is actually pretty good in this area, looking back. Skip!
Rean - doesn't really have this problem, but I don't like him anyways.

Feel free to expand upon my list.

Cornbread78

Angelica - Creepin'
Fie - Her whole deal
Gaius - Wind
Towa - Work
Machias - Jusis
Crow- Boobs
Angelica- Young Flowers

o8BSCog.jpg

Gu4n

Angelica - Creepin'
Fie - Her whole deal
Gaius - Wind
Towa - Work
Machias - Jusis

Laura's range of interest ranges from 'swords' to 'stuff you can do with swords'. I'm kind of surprised the association Gaius-Wind is so strong while no one complains about Laura's unhealthy love for the way of the sword.

Anyway, I think you'll be fine in CS2. :)

Ultimadrago

Oh man, that's a good one. I forgot about Crow. The male Angelica.

Laura's range of interest ranges from 'swords' to 'stuff you can do with swords'. I'm kind of surprised the association Gaius-Wind is so strong while no one complains about Laura's unhealthy love for the way of the sword.

Anyway, I think you'll be fine in CS2. :)

I was half-way thinking of Laura's way of the Sword; it's one of those things where I questioned if she does is thaat much or if those moments stand out due to her composed demeanor (showing active passion for little else). Haha.

That's good to hear~ :D

Gu4n

I was half-way thinking of Laura's way of the Sword; it's one of those things where I questioned if she does is thaat much or if those moments stand out due to her composed demeanor (showing active passion for little else). Haha.

That's good to hear~ :D
I originally settled for Laura in CS1 and 2 (
even though I somehow ended up with Emma and Towa, respectively
), but then realised she'd be more interested in Rean's tachi and his Eight Leaves One Blade techniques than him as a person so I went with Sara on CS2's NG+.

This might be my favorite Angelica quote. I was reminded of it while watching a omgfloofy stream a few days ago.

Angelica, talking about Fie: "I'd press my delicates against that ironing board."

Holy shit, Angelica. Are you trying to push the rating to M?

Cornbread78

Is there a "canon" ship in this game? Would that be Alisa?

I know there is no real final ships in the game, but do they expand on those ships in CS2?

Korigama

I went with Fie my first time through, but was thinking of going with Alisa for NG+ (as far as ship teasing is concerned, that seemed to be what the game liked best, and to a lesser extent Towa).

Having looked up most of the dialogues at the end of the game on YouTube to assist with the NG+ decision, though, I'd say Fie's was still the best one.

khaaan

What's the shining pom DLC? I think those things were in FC, right? Kinda hard to kill, ran away quickly, but if you did get em they would drop a lot of XP? Is it worth grabbing it? I know it's free but if they don't have significant gameplay impacts I'll skip em.

Edit: I hope I can finish this by the time CS2 comes out. I started almost a month ago and am only at Chapter 2, Field Study Day 1. Ever since I started driving to work my handheld game time has gone way down :(

Korigama

What's the shining pom DLC? I think those things were in FC, right? Kinda hard to kill, ran away quickly, but if you did get em they would drop a lot of XP? Is it worth grabbing it? I know it's free but if they don't have significant gameplay impacts I'll skip em.
That's basically it. Useful for boosting levels past 70 during the endgame and for the NG+ bonuses in CS II, so I'd say it's worth it for free.

Is there a "canon" ship in this game? Would that be Alisa?

I know there is no real final ships in the game, but do they expand on those ships in CS2?

Alisa is the most 'canon' of shipping you can get although the game really lets you choose who you want to romance but shes the only one who actively shows interest in Rean romantically at least in the first game.

Ultimadrago

Alisa is the most 'canon' of shipping you can get although the game really lets you choose who you want to romance but shes the only one who actively shows interest in Rean romantically at least in the first game.

Yeah, the game shouts at you about it, but I was pleasantly impressed that it didn't straight up force it. I was positive she'd be canon for Rean when first opening the game.

I wish the game went with canon romance. In the case of Alisa, it's quite obvious she's favored anyway from a romantic storytelling perspective that I wish she was canon-ised so that character moments with other characters could be layered/more improved/have more dynamism.

I don't like to think of these stuff from just romance angle, but eg. the fact that Rean could "romance" all the main girls mean there's really no room for the team dynamic to legitimately explore angles where... other guy's potential romance. Arguably even some conventional relationship dynamic aren't the best they can be, since three-person dynamics are impacted in that regard.

Korigama

Yeah, i though that too, since in the cover she's in front of rean
There's also how she's the first person on the train with him at the evolving main menu, as well as the only other one with him on the cover for the manual that comes with the PS3 version.

Cornbread78

I think going through this final dungeon now has made me decide that I'm not going for platinum. If I was going to go for it, I'd have to do this all about 4-5 more times to use the
festival tickets
correctly in order to meet the trophy requirements.. uggh. I

Cornbread78

I wish the game went with canon romance. In the case of Alisa, it's quite obvious she's favored anyway from a romantic storytelling perspective that I wish she was canon-ised so that character moments with other characters could be layered/more improved/have more dynamism.

I don't like to think of these stuff from just romance angle, but eg. the fact that Rean could "romance" all the main girls mean there's really no room for the team dynamic to legitimately explore angles where... other guy's potential romance. Arguably even some conventional relationship dynamic aren't the best they can be, since three-person dynamics are impacted in that regard.

I know what you mean! It would be very interesting if the game made you choose much earlier which girl/guy you wanted to pursue. Give some time to get to know each characters personalities first, then have a defining moment when you must choose which path you want to take (like a VN), keep a central storyline, but change the character interactions slightly to accommodate your choice and give an opportunity for your other party members to hook up and create their own storylines (I would like to ship side characters as well!) Also, get rid of the individual trophies for each character, so you don't have to play through the entire game. It's a hybrid version of the way Mass Effect handles "romances" along with some VN inspiration mixed in with the standard ToSC and P4 format.

Saphirax

I think going through this final dungeon now has made me decide that I'm not going for platinum. If I was going to go for it, I'd have to do this all about 4-5 more times to use the
festival tickets

What? You only need to use 2 tickets per character. Coupled with the last bonding event and the bike ride you should be able to get 6 character trophies easily without having to repeat the last dungeon.

Gu4n

On the one hand Alisa is the canon partner because her bonding events with Rean go deeper than the others, on the other hand the choice of partner is irrelevant for the story and therfore is none of them canon. If a relationship in Kiseki is truly canon, the writers will make sure those two end up with each other.

Cornbread78

What? You only need to use 2 tickets per character. Coupled with the last bonding event and the bike ride you should be able to get 6 character trophies easily without having to repeat the last dungeon.

But you are only give 6 tickets and you have to use 2 on three different characters, and I took 1 other for the ride.

Shahed

I've expressed similar opinion before. I may not like Alisa much, but if she is the Canon pairing then they should have just went with it and built moments and occasions into the narrative that enhanced the whole character dynamic. By keaving things open you're limiting the potential for creativity and how far you can develop said characters. For example Machias and Emma can't be a pair because they need to be available for Rean and so on.

festival tickets

Why would you repeat the dungeon? You have to do NG+ for platinum no matter what. If you carry the points over and unlock max bonding events, you can do everyone's dance trophy at the same time.

But you are only give 6 tickets and you have to use 2 on three different characters, and I took 1 other for the ride.
Those tickets aren't the only way. There's those, the bike ride and bonding events in Chapter 6 (Chapter 5 for one character). With unlimited bonding events you can get all of them unlocked before the final chaoter starts.

Top Bottom