• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

Korigama

Ok I have been playing this game for a week now and I'm at chapter 5, just after finishing 5th floor of old school house. Hopefully I can finish it this week.

What I want to know is if NG+ add more story or require for true ending (if it got one)?
You won't be able to do everything in a single run (some character profiles will be left incomplete as a result), but beyond a bonus option during an event during the final chapter, one which doesn't award its own trophy, there's no story content unique to NG+. No true ending, but the character-specific dialogue that you get during it is dependent upon that same event during the final chapter (with whom you get to choose for it tied to link levels and various bonding events).

EDIT: Ah, there was also apparently one NG+ adjustment to an event in the final chapter if you bring Emma, but other than that, nothing major.

Cornbread78

Are you planning on doing a Nightmare run for Platinum? If so I would advise grinding out some of your master quarts to max level in the final dungeon? Probably not absolutely necessary but useful. I used Laura or Rean equipped with Megalith (maxed) and Domination quartz, the former of which gives auto CP recovery in the field (and it fills up fast). Just go into a battle, immediately use your S-Break, kill everything, and repeat. Megalith also increases exp gained but it's only for that character I believe (maybe not?). Depending on your strength and equipment, you may need to use a strength buff first to ensure a total enemy KO.

But with this method, I grinded some levels and maxed out almost all my master Quartz in only a couple of hours during my first playthrough.

Ah yes, I meant to mention that one in my earlier post about Master Quartz. Murakumo is one of the others that would be particularly helpful during NG+. 20% chance of critical for attacks and crafts when maxed, damage dealt by criticals multiplied by 2 when maxed (usually 1.5), Accuracy 100% when maxed (though accessories will usually cover this). Like Vermillion and Orochi, however, no arts come with it. I usually give this one to Laura.

EXP bonus is indeed only for whoever has Megalith equipped at the time. Either way, I would definitely agree that taking the time to max at least the ones you'll be expecting to use most would be a good idea (unless you plan on carrying over items and Link EXP but not character levels or Master Quartz levels for added challenge, as you'll be steamrolling just about everything that gets in your way for most of the game even on Nightmare otherwise).

Uggh, not sure I gave enough time to do a full NG+ run before CS2 drops..

Jeffrey

wrapping up Deus Ex today, continuing my just started NG+, quick playthrough to remember the cast and story.

btw: what do I have to do to
dance
with towa? Just make sure not to miss any free time with her?

Korigama

Uggh, not sure I gave enough time to do a full NG+ run before CS2 drops..
Just got to Chapter 5 on mine recently. If I'm able to set aside enough time this week, I might be able to, but I expected to be further along by now.
wrapping up Deus Ex today, continuing my just started NG+, quick playthrough to remember the cast and story.

btw: what do I have to do to
dance
with towa? Just make sure not to miss any free time with her?
Going by the GameFAQs guide,
at least 2000 link EXP, then either her Chapter 5 bonding event, or take her along for the bike ride on October 21st, or spend two school festival tickets on her

Cornbread78

it is MUCH faster than you think it'll be . a NG+ nightmare run is 10 hours on average , 15 Top ( unless you wnat to grind in the final dongeon AGAIN )

I forget to identify/mark 3/4 of the monsters, so that is going to add a few hours as well..

Can you save on 10/21 and go through thr festivdl multiple tikes yobgather the trophies? Can you get a bunch on the first play through?

I finally finished my Nightmare run.

As annoying as the final battle was on Normal, on Nightmare it's a complete RNG shiftest. At least at Level 65, and I didn't really want to waste time grinding for more levels.

It took me around an hour of attempts before I finally got one run where I had enough luck break my way.

I really enjoyed my second run overall. It was nice to revisit the story before the sequel drops, and to pick up on some stuff I didn't notice the first time. I'm glad that I got it done today so that I have a week left before CS2 drops. Going through that ending again really makes me anxious to find out where things go next.

zakujanai

2 runs, 200 hours, and I still didn't get the chest trophy. I think my attention wavers and even with a guide I somehow missed one. At least I don't need to bother doing a nightmare run now.

Edit: Actually, after trudging through Loa Erebonius again just on normal, there was never ant way I was going to play this on nightmare.

I forget to identify/mark 3/4 of the monsters, so that is going to add a few hours as well..

Can you save on 10/21 and go through thr festivdl multiple tikes yobgather the trophies? Can you get a bunch on the first play through?

Yeah , you can . You only need to met the requirements and reload your save to see each character festival event in a row

As for the monsters , since the monster book do tell you what area doesn't have all monsters it's not that bad.

Cornbread78

Yeah , you can . You only need to met the requirements and reload your save to see each character festival event in a row

As for the monsters , since the monster book do tell you what area doesn't have all monsters it's not that bad.

Nice, it will probably be a pain to keep going through 30 mins of events, reload, rinse and repeat, but whatever, lol.

A nice little touch I just noticed is the main menu of the game changes in the final chapter as well right after the festival starts.
They are all in their performance costumes right now...

2 runs, 200 hours, and I still didn't get the chest trophy. I think my attention wavers and even with a guide I somehow missed one. At least I don't need to bother doing a nightmare run now.

Edit: Actually, after trudging through Loa Erebonius again just on normal, there was never ant way I was going to play this on nightmare.

That fight is definitely pretty challenging on Nightmare (I think it took me six or so attempts), but it's fair at the same time. Hard as nails, but certainly very beatable. When I finally pulled off my victory, I felt really satisfied with the outcome and happy that I had pulled off a victory like that.

On the other hand, the final fight
against the Azure Knight
just felt like nothing but RNG to me. When I managed to get a run where enough things went right for me to win, I just felt like "thank god that stupid fight is over".

The battle itself follows a simple pattern.

However, there's a significant amount of randomness in terms of if he'll land a critical hit on you, or if you'll dodge instead of guarding. Even a victory usually winds up being fairly narrow (at least at a lower level, I'm sure it's much easier if you grind up to Level 68 or something), so just one or two things that have a random chance of happening occurring can really shift the outcome of the battle and turn it into a sure defeat.

Finalow

I'm playing the first game now, I might import the sequel instead of waiting 2 months for the EU release, not sure though. playing 2 Falcom jrpgs in a row *again* could be a bit tiresome. (especially since I play them the right way and talk to all the npcs, do all the quests etc. > 50-60 hours runs at least)

since a first run on nightmare with trails (SC, mostly) was borderline impossible and I gave up after 2 hours, I started this game instead on nightmare after reading that it's actually doable.
and well, it is. although some bosses early in the game can be extremely and stupidly annoying, especially considering how limited your options are. but as usual I can see the difficulty dropping a lot when you get past the first 2-3 chapters. the fact that you can stack the same type of Quartz on different lines makes some characters completely broken. (Machias anyone? Like if the infinite turns thing wasn't broken enough, uh) so I guess in the end I'm glad I picked nightmare to being with, I wouldn't have liked to have brain-dead press-X-to-win battles.

Neoweee

However, there's a significant amount of randomness in terms of if he'll land a critical hit on you, or if you'll dodge instead of guarding. Even a victory usually winds up being fairly narrow (at least at a lower level, I'm sure it's much easier if you grind up to Level 68 or something), so just one or two things that have a random chance of happening occurring can really shift the outcome of the battle and turn it into a sure defeat.

I agree. The battle is shit, even on Hard. The RNG isn't the stance system, the RNG is how vital it is to not get Link Attacked when you don't have access to the defend Craft, and how many dodge/counters you get during the defend Craft. I knew in the first six turns when I was going to beat the fight, because of how lucky I got with the dodge/counters.

It really reminds me of The Battle of South Moundtop in Saga Frontier 2. A big, climactic battle that has an optimal strategy that still falls below 100% chance of winning.

Gu4n

Oh, definitely. Don't get me wrong: I'm not the defending the fight. For me it completely killed an interesting ending of a game I hadn't been to happy with for most part. Fortunately, they fix it in the sequel.

I'm playing the first game now, I might import the sequel instead of waiting 2 months for the EU release, not sure though. playing 2 Falcom jrpgs in a row *again* could be a bit tiresome. (especially since I play them the right way and talk to all the npcs, do all the quests etc. > 50-60 hours runs at least)
60 hours isn't too bad; I played SC, The 3rd, Zero and Ao back to back (~320 hours) and then forced myself to take a break to play Sen and Sen II back to back (~175 hours), only to start over again with FC Evo, ahaha. I love this series.

Oh, definitely. Don't get me wrong: I'm not the defending the fight. For me it completely killed an interesting ending of a game I hadn't been to happy with for most part. Fortunately, they fix it in the sequel.

Oh yeah, I'm really looking forward to seeing how the sequel improved them. I really like the idea of
awesome mecha battles
, but the implementation in the game left a lot to be desired.

But I'm really excited to play some more fleshed out versions of that in CS2 next week.

Cornbread78

with all this endgame talk... I'm in the last dungeon now, and I mind not bother going for all the trophies for the Links if I have to do a miserable battle multiple times...

The final battle can take literally 5 minutes. It's a curveball, but it's not a slog.

Of course, if you're trying to get all of the festival after party scenes with each character you'll have to replay the whole final dungeon multiple times on a first playthrough (which is why it's much easier to do on a second playthrough where you can have them all available in one go).

zakujanai

Started a new nightmare run and got the Iglute Garmare glitch where it never transforms. Wouldn't be so bad except I didn't save at all so I have to do the damn prologue again.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Heads up, turns out Shining Pom Bait DLC packs are free currently on PSN.

Get your Rean's to level 80 easily for max transfer rewards next week.

Gah, I just spent a couple hours yesterday grinding Rean to level 70 for data-transfer purposes. Wouldn't have had to do that if I'd known this was going to happen!

Oh well, at least I can get to level 80 easily now. Thanks for the heads-up!

pardon my ignorance as i assume this question has been brought up many times before but what are the chances that this and 2 get ported/remastered for other platforms?

ill probably budge at $20 anyway, I just dont play ps3 much anymore

Shin-chan

pardon my ignorance as i assume this question has been brought up many times before but what are the chances that this and 2 get ported/remastered for other platforms?

I doubt it. I'd probably play through again on PS4 though.

I guess the only hope is if Falcom wants to get players onto the PS4 for CS3 (which may or may not be exclusive, we don't know yet).

I'd say there's a good chance of them making their way onto PS4 at some point, especially since PS3 is being kicked to the curb for CS3. The only thing is that it's going to be a decent wait before we would even get said ports. PC is the one that's up in the air since Xseed doesn't port games themselves and they have to rely on the original developers for any ports that they do get, which Falcom isn't about to do.

Shin-chan

Okay I know I'm a broken record on this topic but: can you save transfer between EU vita CS and US PS3 CS?

My plan would be to buy the US version on PSN then do the save transfer so I can use it for my imported copy of CS2.

Eylos

Banned
Okay I know I'm a broken record on this topic but: can you save transfer between EU vita CS and US PS3 CS?

My plan would be to buy the US version on PSN then do the save transfer so I can use it for my imported copy of CS2.

Maybe with henkaku, but i have no idea how

aett

I just picked up the Shining Pom DLC since it was free, not knowing what it was. Sounds like the game's equivalent of Metal Slimes... probably a good idea to hold onto these for a while.

Anyone have any advice re: what quartz to use earlier in the game? Anything that is better than it sounds or not worth using?

Stuart444

I just picked up the Shining Pom DLC since it was free, not knowing what it was. Sounds like the game's equivalent of Metal Slimes... probably a good idea to hold onto these for a while.

When you use them, use them in old schoolhouse 1 later in the game when leveling is a lot slower. (final chapter or something)

They will materialize some shining poms in a certain location. Beat them for a few levels.

Eylos

Banned
i fucked up my save game, I have copied the wrong folder on henkaku (to do a backup of the save, and to use in CS2) and uninstalled the game (to save space on vita for CS2, i have a 4gb vita card only) =(((

if is there any good soul to share an american save file? It can be in the middle of the game i don't mind to re-replay again

thx if anyone helps

Psxphile

Man, this last level is long! The enemies haven't been bad at all, well, until I just opened that chest.... damn golems, lol

Make sure you're wearing anti-Faint accessories. Against some enemies you're as good as dead if half of your party gets Fainted. And that's on Normal.

Caim

I was thinking about getting this on Vita, but unfortunately my analog stick only works with moving left and right.

Is there anyway to configure it to use the D-Pad? If not I'll just get this on PS3.

Psxphile

Quick Cold Steel II question: does the game still ask for a clear save from Cold Steel when starting a New Game+? Or is that only for a fresh game? I know Sky SC does this.

Top Bottom