• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

I've caved and pre ordered an imported copy. I can't wait until November and then wait again for that shit to ship out from the UK to Japan.

Not sure what I'll do about my save. Maybe I'll buy the PS3 version of CS, do a save transfer, swap the regions and use that PS3 one on my Vita copy of CS2 .. if that will work?

The problem is, I think, that you'd have no way to upload the resulting save unless you also have the NA PS3 version of either Cold Steel or Cold Steel II.

I might go with the Vita version for CS2, at this rate it's gonna take me a full year to finish CS1, it's just easier to find time to play on a handheld. I hope it's not too much of a downgrade.

Menthuss

CS1 endgame spoilers:
I can confirm that the giant robot battles get way better in CS2.

381737.gif

preta

CS1 endgame spoilers:
I can confirm that the giant robot battles get way better in CS2.

Have you finished the game yet? Do you feel like you've missed anything due to not playing the Crossbell games? I've been wondering how reliant on them CS2 would be, beyond certain important elements that would have to be included.

Gu4n

Do you feel like you've missed anything due to not playing the Crossbell games? I've been wondering how reliant on them CS2 would be, beyond certain important elements that would have to be included.
This probably goes without saying, but: members of Class VII also haven't played the Crossbell games. And does that matter? Does it, for example, matter for the enjoyment of Cold Steel that you don't know what caused the (Cold Steel 1 spoiler)
disappearance of the Garrelia Fortress?

Initially, I thought jumping ahead to the Erebonia arc was a bad idea, but I've come to realise that what you miss mostly -- for the overarching story, that is -- is Ao no Kiseki 'spoiling' crucial reveals for both endgames.

In fact, Ao even reveals tidbits for Cold Steel III. Yes.

preta

This probably goes without saying, but: members of Class VII also haven't played the Crossbell games. And does that matter? Does it, for example, matter for the enjoyment of Cold Steel that you don't know what caused the (Cold Steel 1 spoiler)

Initially, I thought jumping ahead to the Erebonia arc was a bad idea, but I've come to realise that what you miss mostly -- for the overarching story, that is -- is Ao no Kiseki 'spoiling' crucial reveals for both endgames.

In fact, Ao even reveals tidbits for Cold Steel III. Yes.

Yeah, I guess it doesn't really matter for stuff like that, but it's not like Zero/Ao didn't expect knowledge of 3rd, which had a (mostly) different cast.

[Ao discussion moved to other thread]

zakujanai

So I completed chapter 5 again yesterday. That person you see at the end is definitely the one I have a nendoroid of. I'm excited that one of my frivolous Zero/Ao nendoroid purchases may actually be somebody I know soon, she'll surely be in the next game.

Also finally saw the Gaius thing that was discussed a while back. I think I assumed he wasn't affected as much because he was much further away, next to the children who weren't affected at all.

Gu4n

Also finally saw the Gaius thing that was discussed a while back. I think I assumed he wasn't affected as much because he was much further away, next to the children who weren't affected at all.
The underlying significance is not the part that he wasn't affected, but that he was protecting the children. ;)

zakujanai

The underlying significance is not the part that he wasn't affected, but that he was protecting the children. ;)

Yeah I did like that, he was much further back and had obviously made an attempt to shield them. Filled out his character far more than his often bland dialogue ever could.

So I completed chapter 5 again yesterday. That person you see at the end is definitely the one I have a nendoroid of. I'm excited that one of my frivolous Zero/Ao nendoroid purchases may actually be somebody I know soon, she'll surely be in the next game.

Where do you see this character you're talking about in Chapter 5?

jschreier

Have you finished the game yet? Do you feel like you've missed anything due to not playing the Crossbell games? I've been wondering how reliant on them CS2 would be, beyond certain important elements that would have to be included.
I'm not even close to finished but even in Act 1 they talk a bit about the stuff that's happening in Crossbell. So far it's made me want to play those games more. I don't really feel like I'm missing anything though, nah.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Sean Chiplock is an awesome dude. When I was part of Sanctuary Crew, we actually got him on to do commentary during a preview stream of Cold Steel before it released in English. He was hysterical and I'd love to get involved with him in something like that again.

We ended up getting stuff like this from this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJXHvCu4cnQ

That is so awesome lol.

Wait, so it wasn't the giant mech that destroyed the fortress? That's what I assumed it was.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Immediately after the orb gets destroyed.

image020_201311131917503d5.jpg

Which one?

Are you asking me which mech, I would assume the one Crow used (I can't remember its name) or about Garrelia Fortress? I'm guessing there's more at play then, heh.

Cornbread78

I'm towards the end of chp.6 now and I really appreciate it when the system actually accepts your Impede 2 quartz/Delay tactics and lets it work because a string of normal attacks can keep a boss at the bottom of the action list and you can just volley him the entire time.

Gu4n

Are you asking me which mech, I would assume the one Crow used (I can't remember its name) or about Garrelia Fortress? I'm guessing there's more at play then, heh.
Definitely. May I remind you that (SC spoilers)
the Aureole governs absolute control over space and is capable making things 'disappear' into nothingness.

I'm not even close to finished but even in Act 1 they talk a bit about the stuff that's happening in Crossbell. So far it's made me want to play those games more. I don't really feel like I'm missing anything though, nah.
Hopefully they will eventually get a western release one day..

Cornbread78

uggh. Here we go again.... Go to the first boss at the end of Chp 6 and he just 1-shot killed my entire party after 15 minutes of fighting and no way to Impede or delay him.. Seriously?

Famassu

uggh. Here we go again.... Go to the first boss at the end of Chp 6 and he just 1-shot killed my entire party after 15 minutes of fighting and no way to Impede or delay him.. Seriously?
You can avoid this by not having all your characters too close to each other. The attack I assume killed you is an AOE attack with a limited reach. So have one or two characters a bit further away. Draw the boss to one end with maybe a couple of characters and keep the other characters at least a little over half-way of the "arena" away from them. This somewhat gimps your buff-game, but it let's you live. :p

Give whoever you are using as a healer the Angel Master Quartz, will pevent a wipe (or 2 if its maxed already), if you can give Fie as much stuff as you can to boost her evade (evergreen x2, the shoes that boost evasion, quartz that boost evasion, ect) she can dodge most things if you get it high enough.

occelinho

Why would you wait for the EU version if you got the US version before? (just curious)

Im living in europe and it's just more conveniant (and cheaper) this way. I also already got money on my EU account. I bought the US version last time because 2 days after release I was visiting my old hometown for 2 weeks and I just wanted to have something new that I can play there.

But now that you were asking this, I'm actually considering getting it from the US store again. I thought I can wait these 2 months, but seeing all this talk about CS2 made me looking forward to it even more.

and, you could use bruteforce. It's what I'll try and use for EU -> US save data since I want to get the digital version of the US and use my EU save with it.

I see, thanks a lot! Will do this if I'm not changing my mind.

Famassu

It's a straight line, wide area AOE. If characters are in a line of sorts, they will get hit. Best way to avoid it is have some characters behind the boss and some in front.
It is? I always thought it was a circular one. Well, that makes dodging it easier.

Cornbread78

You can avoid this by not having all your characters too close to each other. The attack I assume killed you is an AOE attack with a limited reach. So have one or two characters a bit further away. Draw the boss to one end with maybe a couple of characters and keep the other characters at least a little over half-way of the "arena" away from them. This somewhat gimps your buff-game, but it let's you live. :p

Give whoever you are using as a healer the Angel Master Quartz, will pevent a wipe (or 2 if its maxed already), if you can give Fie as much stuff as you can to boost her evade (evergreen x2, the shoes that boost evasion, quartz that boost evasion, ect) she can dodge most things if you get it high enough.

It's a straight line, wide area AOE. If characters are in a line of sorts, they will get hit. Best way to avoid it is have some characters behind the boss and some in front.

Thanks, I managed to survive the attack on my second try because I did have Alisha in there with the Angel Quartz, so she resurrected right away, and I actually beat the second boss on my first try which was much longer and harder to do...

Cornbread78

Can't belive it took you chap 6 to see how angelica is such a beautifull flower / maiden that is misunderstood by the world

She is definitely a special sort of gal. It went well with her comments about "deflowering" beautiful young maidens. It was awesome to
get to play with her as a member of the party and it's a shame she left so abruptly...

Cornbread78

Quick question on a final chapter question:
Principal Vandyck gives me th option of the item Sara used or the item Neithardt used..
Which one? (now I see why you have to play through this twice...) Does it matter at this point, or do both do about the same?

Psxphile

Sara's will probably be more use for you. Being able to refill HP/EP with every attack is super nice, and it has high stats too.

Bladenic

Quick question on a final chapter question:
Principal Vandyck gives me th option of the item Sara used or the item Neithardt used..
Which one? (now I see why you have to play through this twice...) Does it matter at this point, or do both do about the same?

I think Thors (Sara's) is overall more useful but overall I wouldn't say it matters too much.

zakujanai

Where do you see this character you're talking about in Chapter 5?

It's at the end of Lohengrin castle when
somebody throws a lance to destroy the orb.
You see the back of them as they walk away and looks exactly like the
Arianrhod
nendoroid that came with Zero Evo. Celine referred to them as
the steel maiden
though that didn't mean anything to me yet.

Korigama

I think Thors (Sara's) is overall more useful but overall I wouldn't say it matters too much.
It's not really make or break, no. Picking whichever is indeed fine. Master Quartz such as Juggler, Moebius, Criminal, Orochi, and Vermillion would make more of a difference on NG+.

Korigama

That's not until the final chapter.
You would have to speak to Kenneth by the river on the first day, before the school festival begins. Catching it is how you obtain Vermillion, and gain the opportunity to purchase Orochi from him. Since you've caught the other 19 types already, you'll be able to try.

Cornbread78

That's not until the final chapter.
You would have to speak to Kenneth by the river on the first day, before the school festival begins. Catching it is how you obtain Vermillion, and gain the opportunity to purchase Orochi from him. Since you've caught the other 19 types already, you'll be able to try.

lol, no $hit. Thank you! Just got the trophy as well. And another couple Master Quartz, lol.

This guide could just tell me this crap, but NOOO.. stupid GameFAQs.
nah, this guide has been pretty good overall, but confusing at times and I never read ahead to avoid spoilers...

I also just bought that 50k Time master quarts from George. Is that thing any good?

Damn, I just realized I have 105 hours into this game already... Where did the friggen' time go!

aett

Just started chapter 3. I don't mind not having any real choice over my party members yet because it's early on and it's connected to the story, but I was just curious if you eventually do get to choose from your whole team - and a rough idea of when that starts.

Korigama

lol, no $hit. Thank you! Just got the trophy as well. And another couple Master Quartz, lol.

nah, this guide has been pretty good overall, but confusing at times and I never read ahead to avoid spoilers...

I also just bought that 50k Time master quarts from George. Is that thing any good?

Damn, I just realized I have 105 hours into this game already... Where did the friggen' time go!
Ah yes, I meant to mention that one in my earlier post about Master Quartz. Murakumo is one of the others that would be particularly helpful during NG+. 20% chance of critical for attacks and crafts when maxed, damage dealt by criticals multiplied by 2 when maxed (usually 1.5), Accuracy 100% when maxed (though accessories will usually cover this). Like Vermillion and Orochi, however, no arts come with it. I usually give this one to Laura.

Cornbread78

Just started chapter 3. I don't mind not having any real choice over my party members yet because it's early on and it's connected to the story, but I was just curious if you eventually do get to choose from your whole team - and a rough idea of when that starts.

I'm in th efinal chapter and I've only been able to do it for the Old School house missions.

Ah yes, I meant to mention that one in my earlier post about Master Quartz. Murakumo is one of the others that would be particularly helpful during NG+. 20% chance of critical for attacks and crafts when maxed, damage dealt by criticals multiplied by 2 when maxed (usually 1.5), Accuracy 100% when maxed (though accessories will usually cover this). Like Vermillion and Orochi, however, no arts come with it.

Nice. Now I just have to figure out how to get al these trophies from the events on 10/24. The online guide on PSN Trophies makes no sense...

Bladenic

Are you planning on doing a Nightmare run for Platinum? If so I would advise grinding out some of your master quarts to max level in the final dungeon? Probably not absolutely necessary but useful. I used Laura or Rean equipped with Megalith (maxed) and Domination quartz, the former of which gives auto CP recovery in the field (and it fills up fast). Just go into a battle, immediately use your S-Break, kill everything, and repeat. Megalith also increases exp gained but it's only for that character I believe (maybe not?). Depending on your strength and equipment, you may need to use a strength buff first to ensure a total enemy KO.

But with this method, I grinded some levels and maxed out almost all my master Quartz in only a couple of hours during my first playthrough.

zakujanai

Just went to
Heimdallr with Emma
in chapter 6 on ng+, man they know how to tease in these games. Learnt nothing new besides a name but totally worth it.

Korigama

Are you planning on doing a Nightmare run for Platinum? If so I would advise grinding out some of your master quarts to max level in the final dungeon? Probably not absolutely necessary but useful. I used Laura or Rean equipped with Megalith (maxed) and Domination quartz, the former of which gives auto CP recovery in the field (and it fills up fast). Just go into a battle, immediately use your S-Break, kill everything, and repeat. Megalith also increases exp gained but it's only for that character I believe (maybe not?). Depending on your strength and equipment, you may need to use a strength buff first to ensure a total enemy KO.

But with this method, I grinded some levels and maxed out almost all my master Quartz in only a couple of hours during my first playthrough.
EXP bonus is indeed only for whoever has Megalith equipped at the time. Either way, I would definitely agree that taking the time to max at least the ones you'll be expecting to use most would be a good idea (unless you plan on carrying over items and Link EXP but not character levels or Master Quartz levels for added challenge, as you'll be steamrolling just about everything that gets in your way for most of the game even on Nightmare otherwise).

Lockon

Ok I have been playing this game for a week now and I'm at chapter 5, just after finishing 5th floor of old school house. Hopefully I can finish it this week.

What I want to know is if NG+ add more story or require for true ending (if it got one)?

Top Bottom