• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

Funnily, the only reason Brandish was translated by XSEED was because Wyrdwad/Tom did it by himself as a passion side project. That being said, it would be ridiculous to compare Trails of Azure to Brandish: The Dark Revenant in terms of stuff to translate.

Yeah, its why I don't expect to see the crossbell games for awhile because even if a small team at xseed passioned the fuck out of them it'll still take a very long time.

Starting out the Chapter 2 field study section.
I see Bleublanc is basically the same as ever. What a ridiculous guy. I'll be curious to see how people start reacting to him if his more extreme side starts coming out.

kagamin

Anyone have a link to a missables guide? I'm still on Chapter One and I wanted one for later once I beat the game.

(Talking to every NPC takes a lot of time).

NakedJedi

Banned
You can jump in at Cold Steel if you want. It was designed as a nice jumping in point for newcomers. There are returning characters and cameos and references that you'll really like if you played Trails in the Sky FC/SC (which you're looking at on PSP/vita right now) but it's not necessary.

Yes. XSEED will no longer release PSP games after SC, they are completely done with it forever. This means they need to do some PC programming stuff to get them up to par for a PC release. Imagine the shitty press if they released a port of a PSP game with tiny windowed resolution bad framerate and Chinese-DRM ridden on Steam with tons of bugs (since even SC, which originated as a PC game, had to be extensively tested and messed with before release)

Thanks for the info.

Eusis

If it wasn't for PC, Steam and Sara I don't think we'd be here right now.
Well, Falcom REALLY wanted to push Trails of Cold Steel so I'm cautiously optimistic we'd have seen this at least, but it'd be treated as a new start while we'd have definitely missed out on SC and been resigned to the anime and online spoilers to plug that hole up.

Dio

Banned
Well, Falcom REALLY wanted to push Trails of Cold Steel so I'm cautiously optimistic we'd have seen this at least, but it'd be treated as a new start while we'd have definitely missed out on SC and been resigned to the anime and online spoilers to plug that hole up.

I'm really glad we got SC, even if it was just before Cold Steel and we haven't played 3rd/zero/azure. I feel like I know way more about the world CS takes place in.

Cold Steel/FC/SC spoilers:

The fact that Oliviert basically went OH MAN THE ARSEILLE IS AWESOME and pulled strings to build his own not=Arseille is the best. Not only that, seeing Mueller shitting on him again was nostalgic. The Carnelia reprint (of the books that were present in those games) and the fact that those books are actually written by a character in Cold Steel, the Bleublanc appearance being like 'OH FUCK IT'S THIS GUY' if you played FC/SC but you just thinking he's a weirdo if you didn't.

Now that I've actually played and beaten Cold Steel, I realise that there's plot stuff that's very clearly part of Zero/Ao (since this takes place around the same time) but still, I don't feel like I'm missing something - it really feels like I'm in another country hearing vague things about things that happened elsewhere in the news, and not really in any detail at all.

pariah164

Question about an item in a chest (Chapter 1 spoilers).

Is the item in the trapped chest in the park worth getting? If not, I may just skipped him.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
So halfway through chapter 2, and I don't think I've ever run out of CP even though I am constantly spamming crafts. Am I missing something here? Is there a way to use enough non-super crafts and run out of CP?

Also, I've only had one character die the entire time, mainly due to the fact that I always have the craft cast where my guys get HP every turn. I've yet to use a single buff or health item.

I really hope the game becomes a bit more challenging later.

That said, I am extremely impressed with everything else. The combat system is fantastic. But more than anything, the UI for everything is so streamlined.

Neoweee

All of those are Quartz, so yes it's worth it. Are you getting bodied or something?

Honestly, the big battles in trapped chests are some of the combat highlights of each chapter. Worth fighting, worth doing, and you get a poop load of Experience due to the # of enemies and how biased the Exp multipliers are in favor of aoe attacks/kills.

TR_

So halfway through chapter 2, and I don't think I've ever run out of CP even though I am constantly spamming crafts. Am I missing something here? Is there a way to use enough non-super crafts and run out of CP?

Also, I've only had one character die the entire time, mainly due to the fact that I always have the craft cast where my guys get HP every turn. I've yet to use a single buff or health item.

I really hope the game becomes a bit more challenging later.

That said, I am extremely impressed with everything else. The combat system is fantastic. But more than anything, the UI for everything is so streamlined.

The game will only get easier since you get better master quartz and unlock more crafts.

Minor typo thing I noticed, midterms after studying with Machias and Elliot if you talk to Elliot he says "... Thanks rean" lower case Rean.

flowsnake

Strange, the boss of Floor 5 is by far the hardest in the game so far playing on Normal.

Spams AOE that causes freeze and seems to move very fast.

The boss at the end of Chapter 4 was a pushover in comparison.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Yeah, its why I don't expect to see the crossbell games for awhile because even if a small team at xseed passioned the fuck out of them it'll still take a very long time.
I believe it will happen sooner than we might think.

#believe

I'd honestly rather skip Third and go to Zero/Ao, then return to Third. Third scares me because of its text heavy star doors and dungeon crawling nature. It's a game I definitely want to play, but one that I don't feel has a very strong appeal for the casual fan. Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but it would almost undoubtedly be the worst selling game in the series, I think. If Third tanked and ruined Crossbell's chances of coming over, that'd be it. Zero, on the other hand, is a much more cohesive JRPG that would get much better reviews from the typical player, and would push an Ao localization closer to reality if anything.

Third is like the bonus chapter I want if everything else goes well. When the franchise hinges on success, and a weird game like Third comes along, it makes me nervous to think about it releasing before the Crossbell duology.

Alan

Please

Alan

Take the damn hint

God damn it Alan

Seriously Alan. I mean, damn! Everytime that story comes up I cringe. Well still 3 chapters and an epilogue to go. Here's hoping!

Beat chapter 3, I got an A (BOOO!!!) I am kinda annoyed. I know I'm not close to missing the top rank for the game, but
I got all the questions right for the midterm, but I still ended up under Alisa and some others. Did I miss something. I know I'm missing a point from it now that I look over everything. BOOOO!!!
Kinda wanted to S rank each chapter as I don't have time to play the game again.

Just started Chapter 5. The game has been getting progressively better for sure. Chapters 1 and 2 were alright, 3 was really cool and 4 was awesome. For some reason I was expecting this game to be shorter than the others, but I've already put in a few more hours than I did for FC.

Best thing about this game though has got to be the music. There are some pretty phenomenal tracks.

Psxphile

Completed Chapter 1 last night, started Chapter 2 this morning. Stopped just before finishing off Rean's Free Day by heading into the Old School Building.

I read the translated Ring of Judgement manga because I learned a certain character appears in Chapter 2 and I wanted to be a little more familiar with him going in. Turns out I already knew him better than I thought:
the character Toby from the Carnelia book series in FC/SC/ToCS was based on him... just as "Carnelia" herself is based on someone important.

Gu4n

Completed Chapter 1 last night, started Chapter 2 this morning. Stopped just before finishing off Rean's Free Day by heading into the Old School Building.

I read the translated Ring of Judgement manga because I learned a certain character appears in Chapter 2 and I wanted to be a little more familiar with him going in. Turns out I already knew him better than I thought:
the character Toby from the Carnelia book series in FC/SC/ToCS was based on him... just as "Carnelia" herself is based on someone important.
Does the name of the information agent also ring a bell? And apart from a couple of names, there's so much more in that novel between the lines.

I think Red Moon Rose holds a similar significance, but I haven't been able to connect all the dots. It's nice to learn that bracers were apparently active before the Guild was founded.

Taruranto

Finished with Chapter 3 Old School grinding. I gave Jusis the Master Quarz I found there and he's ABSOLUTELY BROKEN.

Anyway, is there any talk about how much the game sold yet?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So did this game get delayed or something? I was supposed to get The Lionheart Edition as a gift and here they didn't ship the game till today.

kagamin

This looks kinda like tales. But tales sucks. Is this decent

The Kiseki games (and all Nihon Falcom games by extension) that I've played have been fantastic experiences, I don't care much for Tales but this series (although slow to start at times) of games is incredible and the world building is extremely impressive.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Trails is most definitely better than modern day Tales. Everything Tales wants to do with characterization and an anime aesthetic placed into a fantasy setting is done 10000000x better in the Trails series.

Eusis

It is everything Tales tries to be but can't.

Trails is most definitely better than modern day Tales. Everything Tales wants to do with characterization and an anime aesthetic placed into a fantasy setting is done 10000000x better in the Trails series.
This (though mainly based on the Sky series.) Tales and Trails are both anime tropey, but Trails really knows how to do it well, while Tales... is passable, but kind of bland usually.

Agreed. Def become a fan of the Trails series now and looking forward to playing FC and SC after I finish Cold steel. Couldn't finish Tales of Grace F or Xilia.

omgfloofy

Banned
I'd honestly rather skip Third and go to Zero/Ao, then return to Third. Third scares me because of its text heavy star doors and dungeon crawling nature. It's a game I definitely want to play, but one that I don't feel has a very strong appeal for the casual fan. Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but it would almost undoubtedly be the worst selling game in the series, I think. If Third tanked and ruined Crossbell's chances of coming over, that'd be it. Zero, on the other hand, is a much more cohesive JRPG that would get much better reviews from the typical player, and would push an Ao localization closer to reality if anything.

At the moment, there's really no way to release the Crossbell games with the situation of Ao no Kiseki PC. There's no point in releasing Zero if Ao's future is still in the air.

Conversely, I think 3rd has like... a third (lolz) of the text found in Zero and Ao- each. Not only that, but 3rd actually has less text than FC and SC. As a result, it's a pretty easy jump to make- especially since I imagine that many of the fixes made to FC and SC can also be dropped into it to make it updated, too. Whereas, I think Zero and Ao- if the PC versions were released- would probably need some heavy work done on them.

jzbluz

Starting the prologue reminded me that I downloaded the Japanese demo along with the Oreshika one last year. Back then I wouldn't have guessed that both games would be released in English on the same year.

I don't particularly like when games throw me in the middle of the story, but the prologue was blessedly short.

Xenoflare

I believe it will happen sooner than we might think.

#believe

Third is like the bonus chapter I want if everything else goes well. When the franchise hinges on success, and a weird game like Third comes along, it makes me nervous to think about it releasing before the Crossbell duology.

The 3rd definitely has a fan-disc vibe to it and the memory doors are either for fleshing out the existing cast and plant plot arcs for future games, however it's my favourite entry out of the entire trilogy due to the music and battle system

Playable character spoiler
Richard is fucking broken. Crafts that has shorter recoveries than normal attacks and has the most damaging S craft in game

For zero and ao..... I don't think they will ever come here.... The evolution games won't come here, they only have the PSP version, and the PC version is extremely iffy.

SolVanderlyn

You guys are breaking my heart. :|

At the moment, there's really no way to release the Crossbell games with the situation of Ao no Kiseki PC. There's no point in releasing Zero if Ao's future is still in the air.
I disagree. If Zero has a plausible version that can be released (albeit with some work done to it) it's better than nothing. It would generate interest in the Crossbell games, and I'm sure that if - worst case scenario - Ao could never be brought over it would inspire fan translations (and general outcry, which I think is a good thing.) As it is, they're a mystical set of games people only know off-hand info about, so there's not much incentive for interest unless someone is already a big Trails fan; fans of Zero would clamor for the sequel, and their voices might have some power in various different ways.

Third on the other hand, you have made a point on. I didn't realize it had so (comparatively) little text.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
For zero and ao..... I don't think they will ever come here.... The evolution games won't come here, they only have the PSP version, and the PC version is extremely iffy.

If there aren't licensing issues for the PC versions, I don't think the amount of work that would need to go into them would be a deterrent. Didn't stop them with FC or SC which ended up being a lot harder to deal with than they expected.

I think the only things that will keep the games from being released here are licensing problems or insufficient sales.

I disagree. If Zero has a plausible version that can be released (albeit with some work done to it) it's better than nothing. It would generate interest in the Crossbell games, and I'm sure that if - worst case scenario - Ao could never be brought over it would inspire fan translations (and general outcry, which I think is a good thing.) As it is, they're a mystical set of games people only know off-hand info about, so there's not much incentive for interest unless someone is already a big Trails fan; fans of Zero would clamor for the sequel, and their voices might have some power in various different ways.

Third on the other hand, you have made a point on. I didn't realize it had so (comparatively) little text.

Fan translations that would likely be written completely different than a company like Xseed doing them. That's the core problem with fan translations and this series, we have multiple games now with professional grade work done to them, the bar has been set fairly high. I wouldn't give 2 shits about playing anymore of these games if the only thing we could get was something significantly under said bar. These games would take years for a professional fan translation project, something that a very small number of people would be willing to do for free.

It's also not every day that we get a fan translation as competent as the Mother 3 one either. For every fan translation of that quality, we get at least half a dozen that are done by machines or people who's understanding of the original language is quite lacking and it shows in their work. How many would really be fine with playing one of the games, if the translation wasn't even close to up to par?

Top Bottom