• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

Bladenic

Beginning of chapter 5, Sharon gave me two things. I thought one was a costume but I can't find it. The other is a ARCUS cover, how do I change those? And what's the other thing?

There's nothing to wrap your head around, it's just a matter of opinions. Surely you've met people in real life you didn't like, but some, possibly many, other people did? There, mystery solved.

Sorry wasnt trying to belittle your opinion

Just frustrated with this games lead lol

Yes!!!!

I cant wrap my head around this

Estelle was annoying for the first few hours and then easily changed my opinion of her and only got better as the story went on

She wasnt afraid to bounce off every character in believable ways and it was satisfying how many great dialogue moments she would create.

Rean is dull as a bag of rocks by comparison. They should have just made Olivier the main character lol

Eh, I can see why people wouldn't like Estelle. She's a very well written character, but her personality isn't for everyone.

Yes!!!!

Eh, I can see why people wouldn't like Estelle. She's a very well written character, but her personality isn't for everyone.

Estelle definitely has a rough first impression in FC but once you meet Olivier (I swear he is a catalyst for bringing out the best of each character) it just becomes a rollercoaster and she believably grows as a person as her personality becomes more pronounced

Like I didnt like some of the moments where they felt forced to shoe in her more cliched character traits (and likely what annoyed people) but her mature traits were very compelling. Like her ability to sniff out bullshit and call people on it. Her very powerful motherly instincts. And the fact that she is more clever and thoughtful than people give her credit for

They also gave her flaws, insecurities and a clear set of personal goals

Now give those same hard looks at Rean..... Ugh it hurts

Estelle definitely has a rough first impression in FC but once you meet Olivier (I swear he is a catalyst for bringing out the best of each character) it just becomes a rollercoaster and she believably grows as a person as her personality becomes more pronounced

Like I didnt like some of the moments where they felt forced to shoe in her more cliched character traits (and likely what annoyed people) but her mature traits were very compelling. Like her ability to sniff out bullshit and call people on it. Her very powerful motherly instincts. And the fact that she is more clever and thoughtful than people give her credit for

I definitely don't disagree with you. She's like in my top 5 favorite characters, I'm just saying I can see why some people don't like her.

I'll also wait for the other CS game before I judge Rean as a character.

I definitely don't disagree with you. She's like in my top 5 favorite characters, I'm just saying I can see why some people don't like her.

I'll also wait for the other CS game before I judge Rean as a character.

That kind of makes me sad

An eight leaves dropout and adopted son of Nobles

They really missed the boat here. They could have given him SOMETHING to latch onto.

Its a bummer. I actually liked him and his backstory at first but as I played I found my self liking the other characters more and liking him less

I dunno... he gets a few moments to shine here and there but most interactions that he is given just dont deliver

There's nothing to wrap your head around, it's just a matter of opinions. Surely you've met people in real life you didn't like, but some, possibly many, other people did? There, mystery solved.

It's weird how Estelle gets raised on this pedestal all the time and the fact that some people simply don't like her is apparently mind-boggling.
Eh my issue is removing the political issues from the story, Rean hits all the main points and tropes of a generic gary sue anime MC character. Atleast from my experiences 70 hours into the game and on chapter 6. Nonetheless first game so its prob setting alot of things up for the 2nd game. So guess we will find out..welp some people already know but I dont :p

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
My copy came in yesterday. Not going to start it until I finish Xenoblade, but man... it's weird how seeing "Falcom" on a box makes me really excited to play something. That's as good as seal of quality as anything.

Like when Estelle gets characters to spill their guts it feels earned and compelling

Why?

Because she is perceptive and empathetic. She is also blunt and pokes people with the right amount consideration and care

Rean on the other hand.... is just there... like some nice guy along for the ride... I dont get why anyone feels connected to him

Nyoro SF

Sorry wasnt trying to belittle your opinion

Just frustrated with this games lead lol

I think, and this is merely a theory, but that the developers really WERE going for a blank slate character like Persona did, then they changed their mind halfway through development or something; it's the only explanation I can think of for why he's such an inconsistent character.

His range of expressions is really small, and his default look is so bland he could be the cover of an anime oatmeal box.

But he has nice lines. Especially in key situations; plenty of examples, like his answer to whether or not he was a noble. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say he isn't nearly this expressive in Japanese though.

But then when interacting with non-cast or unimportant events he's all blank and dull speaking again. He's not a bracer who has to be polite to clients as a rule, but he's still absurdly polite even to people who aren't even formally addressing him; feels unnatural, unless he was supposed to be a blank character who are by rules supposed to be polite to everyone to maintain their neutral design.

He has voices during certain events to emphasize his emotional range. But then there's events where he doesn't talk. It's unfathomable that you would take the time to give voices to every character but the main one unless you were originally planning the main one to never speak to begin with before realizing what an awful idea that is for a game that emphasizes main characters and their stories and personalities.

His integration into the story so far is so... hands off, it's a wonder why he's even there.

Sitrus

That kind of makes me sad

An eight leaves dropout and adopted son of Nobles

They really missed the boat here. They could have given him SOMETHING to latch onto.

Its a bummer. I actually liked him and his backstory at first but as I played I found my self liking the other characters more and liking him less

I dunno... he gets a few moments to shine here and there but most interactions that he is given just dont deliver

Oh he will get his moments in CSII yes
Very vague spoiler about Rean:

Moments that turn over everything you thought you knew about him from playing the first game.

Jiraiza

Like when Estelle gets characters to spill their guts it feels earned and compelling

Why?

Because she is perceptive and empathetic. She is also blunt and pokes people with the right amount consideration and care

Rean on the other hand.... is just there... like some nice guy along for the ride... I dont get why anyone feels connected to him

Haha, I feel like you're just as salty as I am about Rean, maybe even more. Based on this, I don't think you'll like him all that much either in the second game, either. I think you'll hate him even more, if anything.

Welcome aboard the USS Salt.

Rean is a less fanatical Emiya Shirou. He is defined by his
struggle to find his sense of self
and one of the key takeaway regarding Rean's character is that closer to the end of the the first game
he's the one character who is the most emotionally, extremely emotionally invested in Class VII, his friends. He has made it so that Class VII is effectively the major vector of his universe.

His archetype is hardly a favourite. And it's very difficult to do well. I think Rean's execution could be better, definitely.

Oh he will get his moments in CSII yes
Very vague spoiler about Rean:

Moments that turn over everything you though you knew about him from playing the first game.

He can start by reveling a little in his good fortunes

Cracking a few jokes... and for fucks sake saying no and getting mad once in awhile

Maybe be a dick for a bit

SOMETHING

That's going too far. He has a character, he just feels like a protagonist from a light novel meant to function partially as a self-insert.

Yeah I didn't really find the right words there. Blank slate or self-insert is more what I wanted to say.

I don't really mind it since there are some great characters in the game, but I would have prefered something different.

I like Rean he's a lot better then your average self insert jrpg protagonist, of course when you go from Estelle one of the best protagonist/female protagonist ever to Rean who's decent-good it makes him look worse then he actually is imo

He can start by reveling a little in his good fortunes

Cracking a few jokes... and for fucks sake saying no and getting mad once in awhile

Maybe be a dick for a bit

SOMETHING

That's not his character.

Love it or hate it, he's established as somewhat of a fanatical dude who prioritizes other's happiness over himself to his demerit, because he has a very weak sense of self, derived from his emotional baggage.

Jiraiza

Rean is a less fanatical Emiya Shirou. He is defined by his
struggle to find his sense of self
and one of the key takeaway regarding Rean's character is that closer to the end of the the first game
he's the one character who is the most emotionally, extremely emotionally invested in Class VII, his friends. He has made it so that Class VII is effectively the major vector of his universe.

His archetype is hardly a favourite. And it's very difficult to do well. I think Rean's execution could be better, definitely.

I don't know. Shirou is a lot more compelling character than Rean is, even as a dense protagonist of an eroge. The guy was literally dead inside.

I don't know. Shirou is a lot more compelling character than Rean is, even as a dense protagonist of an eroge. The guy was literally dead inside.

Conceptually they're similar, but Shirou is far and above (as far as CS1 as well ) the better written version of "character wih insane amounts of empathy due to distorted sense of self-worth"

Thus me saying Rean could've been written a bit better.
I mean, the one time his bullshit gets called out, it's by Jusis and every other time, he gets just a light slap in the wrist

That's not his character.

Love it or hate it, he's established as somewhat of a fanatical dude who prioritizes other's happiness over himself to his demerit, because he has a very weak sense of self, derived from his emotional baggage.

Boooooooo

What a downgrade from Estelle. Sorry I know im being pissy about it

Its just a shame cuz I know hes never gonna have interactions that suck my face to the screen

Its stupid cuz all these amazing things happen to him and around him and he never gives into ANY of it in a compelling way

Jiraiza

Conceptually they're similar, but Shirou is far and above (as far as CS1 as well ) the better written version of "character wih insane amounts of empathy due to distorted sense of self-worth"

Thus me saying Rean could've been written a bit better.
I mean, the one time his bullshit gets called out, it's by Jusis and every other time, he gets just a light slap in the wrist

Praise Jusis, I would take him as the MC any day.

Shouta

I have to admit, people wanting Estelle back makes me even more excited about CS. While she was certainly well-written, I found her character simply annoying from beginning to end, so it's nice to hear the new protagonists aren't like her lol

Yeah, I'm not as much of a fan of Estelle as I am her journey. She gets a lot mileage from the FC and SC setup where they required her to be interacting otherwise there wouldn't be a lot going on. That kind of happens when it's a real slow burn.

Rean's situation is pretty different. He has a fairly large cast from the get go to interact with and never really gets into a situation where there's less than a full party with him. The other characters will also interact with other characters around them at school, so there's just a lot less time for Rean to chucking dialogue back and forth. There's also the fact Rean is written with a degree of choice in mind for the player so they can decide who to spend time with. So he sticks closer to a baseline than where he'd be if there were no choice there.

I'm OK with the trade-off. With CS, you have a more standard protagonist but the setting is just more lively because you have more characters and npcs doing their thing. Rean also ends up taking center stage in CS2 more as a result of all the building they do with CS1.

Edit: Rean does have a personality but it's not laid out in CS1 in a way that makes it easy to understand without putting a bit more thought into it. He has problems and the way he approaches things is definitely a part of that.

Yeah, I'm not as much of a fan of Estelle as I am her journey. She gets a lot mileage from the FC and SC setup where they required her to be interacting otherwise there wouldn't be a lot going on. That kind of happens when it's a real slow burn.

Rean's situation is pretty different. He has a fairly large cast from the get go to interact with and never really gets into a situation where there's less than a full party with him. The other characters will also interact with other characters around them at school, so there's just a lot less time for Rean to chucking dialogue back and forth. There's also the fact Rean is written with a degree of choice in mind for the player so they can decide who to spend time with. So he sticks closer to a baseline than where he'd be if there were no choice there.

I'm OK with the trade-off. With CS, you have a more standard protagonist but the setting is just more lively because you have more characters and npcs doing their thing. Rean also ends up taking center stage in CS2 more as a result of all the building they do with CS1.

Thats the problem though

There IS no weight to the choices so we are left with a character that is wholly unmolded

Dont get me started on the
whole hidden power transformation shit

That whole scene with him, his sister etc was a giant groan fest

Nyoro SF

Praise Jusis, I would take him as the MC any day.

Jusis is the man. He's top tier and he knows it. Can't even be bothered to waste his time on scrap characters that can only attempt to belittle him. Not enough of those types of characters in games. I'm waiting for him to call everyone else dweebs at this point.

Shouta

Thats the problem though

There IS no weight to the choices so we are left with a character that is wholly unmolded

There isn't meant to be weight to the choices. It's just building extra relationships.

Thats the problem though

I cringe more during those scenes. As soon as I saw his
sister in chapter 3
knew that was going to happen

I think the idea of Rean is the straight man who is constantly stuck with very abstract characters. All of his interactions either have him...

A. Helping someone to resolve their problems
B. Being teased endlessly by multiple characters BECAUSE of him not being an oddball
C. Being the object of a joke in order to tease other people

I do think he could have better characterization overall (which I'm assuming we might get in the sequel) but hes a very good natured person and was brought up that way and I think his other friends point out his flaws really well, and one major thing...

Up to chapter 4 spoilers.
Laura bringing up how he cares about others more then himself is a major part of his character, he risks his life to save Alisa whom he had just met and then later on when he speaks to Elise his thoughts on the future on about making the lives of him family members easier by him going away, he clearly is willing to sacrifice himself to make other peoples lives easier.
I think this really comes to play throughout the rest of the story and in the very end...

MAJOR SPOILERS DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU HAVEN'T BEAT THE GAME!!!
When he is forced to flee on Valimar alone and abandon his friends despite them wanting him to do that he won't have it, he rather himself get hurt or die then any of them do the same and hes taken away basically kicking and screaming that he needs to help them the whole time even as they are flying away.

I get the feeling he just flat out doesn't care about himself or his life, I mean hes not emo or anything but if he was given a choice to save himself or his friends there would be no hesitation for him to save his friends, even many self sacrificing people have at least some form of self preservation where as I think Rean really doesn't, and I think this plays into him being so dense as well, he may develop feelings for someone depending on whom you choose at the end of the game but I don't think he sees how much people actually care about him because he doesn't really love himself so how could anyone else? I'm making this more dramatic then I mean it to sound, I don't think its THAT extreme of a thing I think its just a big part of the way he thinks and prioritizes things.

I just hope we see CS2 expanding on his character.

Maybe I should twist things a little and remember the things I like about Rean

- His love of Motorcycles. Probably one of the few cools scenes and the only connection I felt to him. Finally... he gets to show that hes interested and enjoys something.

- His love of women. Unfortunately he just cant bring himself to capitilize on this. He gets a few great lines sprinkled here and there but otherwise goes "oh its not what you think and Im totally not into anyone" route. For once I would like him to effin play the game son!

- Likes radio. They dont do much special here but hey im taking all the characterization scraps i can get

- Seems to like solving peoples problems. Its what i also hate about him. Maybe if they painted him more as a manipulator or someone with agency. Instead nope... just a selfless good guy. Always bright, smiling and happy to help for nothing. I know they are framing this AS HIS flaw but.... its just such a boring and dumb one

Sorry I know i was trying to stay positive about Rean here lol

Bladenic

I like Rean actually. I've no idea what some of you are talking about. He has quips, he has personality, and he's not at all a blank state. Are we even playing the same game?

omgfloofy

Banned
I just hope we see CS2 expanding on his character.

Ding ding ding ding! Someone is picking up on what I've been trying to say about Rean on multiple forums now.

There are a LOT of subtle things you should be looking for with him.

And you have nothing to worry about with your hopes on that, too. Kondo has promised that Cold Steel II is the gamechanger of the series. And it absolutely is.

(Though, I'll admit, that I'm not entirely sure of the impact that it'll have without 3rd ~ Ao in on this, as well, though...)

I like Rean actually. I've no idea what some of you are talking about. He has quips, he has personality, and he's not at all a blank state. Are we even playing the same game?

Please please go into detail then

I just went over what I like about him to soften my perspective but I still can hardly stand him

Jiraiza

Jusis is the man. He's top tier and he knows it. Can't even be bothered to waste his time on scrap characters that can only attempt to belittle him. Not enough of those types of characters in games. I'm waiting for him to call everyone else dweebs at this point.

The best part is whenever everyone's saying cheesy lines, he's usually quiet. Either that, he adds some sarcastic, asshole-ish comment. Either in response to Millium or someone else.

And either I'm mishearing things but I'm pretty sure Jusis never says anything in those all-cheer moments in the class. Would be funny if true.

The best part is whenever everyone's saying cheesy lines, he's usually quiet. Either that, he adds some sarcastic, asshole-ish comment. Either in response to Millium or someone else.

And either I'm mishearing things but I'm pretty sure Jusis never says anything in those all-cheer moments in the class. Would be funny if true.

I love how flustered he gets over Millium

"Can someone get this damn kid away from me"

Xeteh

I'm with you. I think if you're trying to compare characters to Estelle they're going to come up short because of how well written she was.

Rean's a pretty cool character, I like how he generally sees through people's bullshit and realizes things that the player knows a hell of a lot faster than most JRPG characters do. (Chapter 4)
Bleublanc's side quest, for instance
. The only thing I found weird was (Class VII spoilers, kinda)
how he never really picks up on Emma's connection to Celine and never questions her when she's poorly trying to cover things up
. Other than that, Rean's pretty rad.

omgfloofy

Banned
- Seems to like solving peoples problems. Its what i also hate about him. Maybe if they painted him more as a manipulator or someone with agency. Instead nope... just a selfless good guy. Always bright, smiling and happy to help for nothing. I know they are framing this AS HIS flaw but.... its just such a boring and dumb one

This is what Novel Mike was going into. And it's a bit deeper than just that.

Up to Chapter 4 Spoilers
What Novel Mike was saying earlier is that Laura's pointed out Rean's selflessness is to a fault, too. To the point that he's more than willing to put himself in the line of danger than let someone else do it. When you think about people like that, you think they have no sense of self-preservation or whatnot.

Something I've always picked up on Rean is that his desire to help others is not too unlike another Kiseki character- whose main game sadly didn't get a release here (yet?) - but directed in a different manner. He doesn't care about himself, and he doesn't care about the situation he's been thrown on, but he does try to help others in it and make it easier on them, as I've picked up.

Series Spoilers in Case People were curious about something I kept vague in my previous spoiler:
The other character unnamed in the above spoiler is Kevin, who is the series' poster child of crippling self-loathing.

I'm with you. I think if you're trying to compare characters to Estelle they're going to come up short because of how well written she was.

And people here also have Estelle's full story to go off of, since both FC and SC are complete. I mean, is Estelle really the same person in SC as she was at the start of FC? Not at all. And Cold Steel is absolutely not all of Rean's story. Hell, I would even dare to go as far as to say it isn't even fully complete in Cold Steel II.

Rean's a pretty cool character, I like how he generally sees through people's bullshit and realizes things that the player knows a hell of a lot faster than most JRPG characters do. (Chapter 4)
Bleublanc's side quest, for instance
. The only thing I found weird was (Class VII spoilers, kinda)
how he never really picks up on Emma's connection to Celine and never questions her when she's poorly trying to cover things up
. Other than that, Rean's pretty rad.

The Bleublanc read was pretty cool i suppose. Wouldn't have minded Rean gloating once and awhile lol

As far as calling people out? He really doesnt do that as opposed to solving the puzzle of a problem with some clever idea

He doesnt really get confrontational, emotional and challenge the other characters in a compelling way. I would much rather see him get in an actual argument with someone that keep reading him "save the day" all the time.

Because arguments dig up shit and reveal character traits. Being awesome guy who easily solves everyones problems doesnt..

Xeteh

And people here also have Estelle's full story to go off of, since both FC and SC are complete. I mean, is Estelle really the same person in SC as she was at the start of FC? Not at all. And Cold Steel is absolutely not all of Rean's story. Hell, I would even dare to go as far as to say it isn't even fully complete in Cold Steel II.

Nah, you're right. Though I will say FC Estelle still left a bigger impression than Rean, I realize that he's still got more story to go. Like I said, I really like Rean's character I just think Estelle's stronger.

I had the conversation with my friend about CS, between Trails in the Sky and Cold Steel I think Estelle is the best character but CS has a more enjoyable ensemble. I love both series though and I can't wait for CS2.

omgfloofy

Banned
Nah, you're right. Though I will say FC Estelle still left a bigger impression than Rean, I realize that he's still got more story to go. Like I said, I really like Rean's character I just think Estelle's stronger.

I had the conversation with my friend about CS, between Trails in the Sky and Cold Steel I think Estelle is the best character but CS has a more enjoyable ensemble. I love both series though and I can't wait for CS2.

I'm not saying Estelle isn't the better character. ;D She's one of my favorite characters of the entire series and absolutely hard to top.

But Rean is one of the characters in the Kiseki series to make me flip out on an emotional level thanks to CS2. I think he gets much better- and you have to play through ALL of CS2 to get why I'm saying this, too.

Agreed though as far as enjoyable ensembles go id say both series are pretty close.

I'm not saying Estelle isn't the better character. ;D She's one of my favorite characters of the entire series and absolutely hard to top.

But Rean is one of the characters in the Kiseki series to make me flip out on an emotional level thanks to CS2. I think he gets much better- and you have to play through ALL of CS2 to get why I'm saying this, too.

God I hope so because right now he is driving me crazy

Top Bottom