• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

A spin-off with Olivier as the MC definitely should happen at some point

I hate how handcuffed he is in this game lol
Like I get it. Hes home and obviously forced to put on a face.... I wonder how bad he just wants to leave again

He was definitely committed at the end of SC though so he will likely have his nose to the grindstone for the time being

Nyoro SF

CS could have been about Olivier school years with Mueller as your side-kick.

Think of the possibilities!

But yeah, Rean is pretty dull.

I can see it now

After sexually harassing every person on campus including the old dude walking in the market, Olivier is now trapped in his barricaded room by an angry horde and must effect an escape by campaigning Mueller to catch him as he jumps from his boarding room window. Cue motorcycle getaway

Game of the forever

Trails of Cold
Hearts

in the beginning of chapter 3 just did the Class battle; man is Elliot's resounding beat a GODSEND!!! who needs arts healing when you have that!?

When Rean said he came to Thors as means to "find himself", I take it as literally he's finding out what kind of person he is. Which in by itself isn't that much different from the other characters. While other characters end up joining a different club, Rean finds himself working for the student council by 'suggestion' from Sara. At this point he could be considered the student council as his club and the one that he finds the 'suits' him the most, if anything I would say both Towa and Sara are inadvertently grooming him to be the next Student President.

In terms of hobbies we learn that he likes horse riding which translate into his new found love for motorcycle riding.

He likes the art of swordsmanship which we see him sort of nerd out, whenever the topic of swordmasters or great warriors comes up.

He's into fishing, there's an off handed comment her made in chap 3 about wishing they could stop for a fish.

Also if you think about it, he must really like pizza as he was the one that can create the unique pizza dish.

All of these adds to a personality.

I want Rean to finally get his one on one duel with Laura

Whoop her ass

Than say something cool and snarky.... im sad cuz I know he would just compliment her

We need more antagonsitic Main characters.. is that so hard to ask?

omgfloofy

Banned
I hate how handcuffed he is in this game lol
Like I get it. Hes home and obviously forced to put on a face.... I wonder how bad he just wants to leave again

He was definitely committed at the end of SC though so he will likely have his nose to the grindstone for the time being

Without a particular scene from 3rd, you won't be able to fully understand why he's doing what he's doing, I think.

(Thankfully, that event is actually in the lineup for my site's Translation Tuesday. Give me a few weeks. :D)

Shouta

Part of the reason why Estelle is enjoyable is because she's a pretty rare protagonist in RPGs in general. She wears her heart on her sleeve for the most part and the game is designed to show that off. She also only has a journey of growth where other protagonists have that in addition to other things. That other part got spun into Joshua which means that the only things you really get when you talk about Estelle are the happy happy joy joy parts, lol.

When Rean said he came to Thors as means to "find himself", I take it as literally he's finding out what kind of person he is. Which in by itself isn't that much different from the other characters. While other characters end up joining a different club, Rean finds himself working for the student council by 'suggestion' from Sara. At this point he could be considered the student council as his club and the one that he finds the 'suits' him the most, if anything I would say both Towa and Sara are inadvertently grooming him to be the next Student President.

In terms of hobbies we learn that he likes horse riding which translate into his new found love for motorcycle riding.

He likes the art of swordsmanship which we see him sort of nerd out, whenever the topic of swordmasters or great warriors comes up.

He's into fishing, there's an off handed comment her made in chap 3 about wishing they could stop for a fish.

Also if you think about it, he must really like pizza as he was the one that can create the unique pizza dish.

All of these adds to a personality.

now if he would only

- Save up for his own motorcycle and show off to his friends to be cool

- Challenge Jusis/Laura to a duel and have some confidence to gloat a bit

- Ditch someone to go fishing (preferably his annoying sister)

- and Tell the maid to go home and say "we having pizza bitches" or something

THEN we would have ourselves a fun character.

Nyoro SF

Part of the reason why Estelle is enjoyable is because she's a pretty rare protagonist in RPGs in general. She wears her heart on her sleeve for the most part and the game is designed to show that off. She also only has a journey of growth where other protagonists have that in addition to other things. That other part got spun into Joshua which means that the only things you really get when you talk about Estelle are the happy happy joy joy parts, lol.

That's not true, people reference Estelle's sarcasm, bad temper, strained attitude and sad parts too. Not all happy fun times.

Actually I remember Rean does have some good quips even in the early chapters, it could just be the localization but even so good job.

It'll be impossible to dig up exact quotes though.

now if he would only

- Save up for his own motorcycle and show off to his friends to be cool

- Challenge Jusis/Laura to a duel and have some confidence to gloat a bit

- Ditch someone to go fishing (preferably his annoying sister)

- and Tell the maid to go home and say "we having pizza bitches" or something

THEN we would have ourselves a fun character.

I assume by 'fun' character you mean an asshole? At least that's what I've been getting from all of your previous posts.

There are ways to do fun without coming across as an asshole for no reason, for example I remember this cause I played up to this point last night, (Chapter 4)
where he 'backstabbed' Sara and left her with Thomas to go drinking while mentioning that he'll tell Sharon to not prepare dinner for her (especially when she mentioned earlier that she was looking forward to it.) all while still in his good nature spirit.

That's not true, people reference Estelle's sarcasm, bad temper, strained attitude and sad parts too. Not all happy fun times.

She was so good

So fully realized and consistent and even surprised me a few times. Especially when they set her up with certain qualities where you would expect her to act in a predictable way

Bladenic

Oh yes, I do wish Rean would tell his sister to fuck off. Coming after Chapter 4 she's by far my least favorite character in the game. What a creepy annoying little brat. The worst part is that (POSSIBLE CS2 SPOILER DONT READ)
i think I saw an image from CS2, and it looked like she joins the party. UGH

Actually I remember Rean does have some good quips even in the early chapters, it could just be the localization but even so good job.

It'll be impossible to dig up exact quotes though.

I assume by 'fun' character you mean an asshole? At least that's what I've been getting from all of your previous posts.

There are ways to do fun without coming across as an asshole for no reason, for example I remember this cause I played up to this point last night,
where he 'backstabbed' Sara and left her with Thomas to go drinking while mentioning that he'll tell Sharon to not prepare dinner for her (especially when she mentioned earlier that she was looking forward to it.)

Nope

Not necessarily an asshole. Just a person. I feel like I could predict every word and reaction he is going to make at this point

I am glad you reminded me of him ditching Sara though. We need more moments for him like that

Oh yes, I do wish Rean would tell his sister to fuck off. Coming after Chapter 4 she's by far my least favorite character in the game. What a creepy annoying little brat. The worst part is that (POSSIBLE CS2 SPOILER DONT READ)
i think I saw an image from CS2, and it looked like she joins the party. UGH

Yup

Her introduction instantly made Rean worse :(

Vamphuntr

Chapter 6 was great. It sure took a long while for the story to pick up though. The villains have funny motivation too. Chapter 6 SPOILERS
Vulcan hates Osborne because he murdered his jaeger friends while they were trying to do the same to him haha. Even Rean and Machias tell him so. And Scarlet became a terrorist because he destroyed her home to build a railway on it lol.

Olivier is still amazing in this one. He build a better Arseille for himself wow.

Nyoro SF

But compared to having a dark past? =P

Well, Joshua's dark past just makes him all aversive and standoffish (edgy? lol) in comparison to Estelle not being able to keep her cool when she's put under societal pressure. But Joshua has fun and happy parts too, even then. Both of them are really well-rounded characters, though I think Joshua could've been a bit better in some parts outside of acting like a leader on the straight all the time (though there is a really good reason why he acts this way)

She was so good

So fully realized and consistent and even surprised me a few times. Especially when they set her up with certain qualities where you would expect her to act in a predictable way

Flaws make us more human, as they say.

All the parts that make her better!

100% agreed. Not going to lie, the beginning of SC with Estelle choked me up, and I can't even remember the last time a game did that for me. Even when Estelle cracked a
panties joke
in the middle of it all.

Well, Joshua's dark past just makes him all aversive and standoffish (edgy? lol) in comparison to Estelle not being able to keep her cool when she's put under societal pressure. But Joshua has fun and happy parts too, even then. Both of them are really well-rounded characters.

Flaws make us more human, as they say.

100% agreed. Not going to lie, the beginning of SC with Estelle choked me up, and I can't even remember the last time a game did that for me. Even when Estelle cracked a
panties joke
in the middle of it all.

Her emotional exhaustion was palpable

- His love of women. Unfortunately he just cant bring himself to capitilize on this. He gets a few great lines sprinkled here and there but otherwise goes "oh its not what you think and Im totally not into anyone" route. For once I would like him to effin play the game son!

Hey at least Rean makes it known that he likes the ladies, unlike a certain other Falcom male lead that couldn't care less about them most of the time.

Gu4n

I think Estelle's originality stems mostly from her savoir faire and lack of discipline. Rean -- and Kevin and Lloyd -- are pretty smart in comparison and always think their decisions through. Each have their own charm, but I like Kevin the best - by far.

There are a couple of characters I found quite underdeveloped, with the here often mentioned Elise being one of them. The other two are Towa - despite her prominent role in the story - and Georges. Though, I expect (hope) that both of them to play a larger role in the future.

Nope

Not necessarily an asshole. Just a person. I feel like I could predict every word and reaction he is going to make at this point

I am glad you reminded me of him ditching Sara though. We need more moments for him like that

Yeah but those points you're wishing him to be, those are specifically asshole things.

Being a person doesn't mean you have to also have some obvious bad streak to your personality.

Hey at least Rean makes it known that he likes the ladies, unlike a certain other Falcom male lead that couldn't care less about them most of the time.

Yup

Look guys. I still love the game and Rean isnt ALL bad... I just wish they would double down on giving him some CHARACTER

Let him spread out a bit and have some moments. Im hoping Chapter 5 gives me some more to chew on
(what a missed opportunity to mess with Emma about that perfume from Vita! WTF man fucking roll with it like a suave motherfucker!)

He is just NO FUN ALLLOWED all the time

Yeah but those points you're wishing him to be, those are specifically asshole things.

Being a person doesn't mean you have to also have some obvious bad streak to your personality.

Sure but thats just the stuff Im coming up with. Doesnt mean I wouldnt enjoy other twists to his character as long as they were written well

My issue is that they are literally giving him breadcrumbs of character at this point. And this far in its really annoying me

It took me far less time to fall in love with Estelle and she isnt close to being an asshole lol

I think Estelle's originality stems mostly from her savoir faire and lack of discipline. Rean -- and Kevin and Lloyd -- are pretty smart in comparison and always think their decisions through. Each have their own charm, but I like Kevin the best - by far.

There are a couple of characters I found quite underdeveloped, with the here often mentioned Elise being one of them. The other two are Towa - despite her prominent role in the story - and Georges. Though, I expect (hope) that both of them to play a larger role in the future.

Dude cmon. Kevin was on another level out of the gate

Its taking WAY to long to make Rean likeable and interesting

Vamphuntr

Finale Chapter Equipment Question

I can choose between two Master Quartz. The one from pinkie or blondie. Which one is the best?

pixxxelz

So I'm playing through chapter 2 atm and man I feel so weak without laura in my party, do we get choose our party members at some point or is it always like this?
Also is any of the other party members as strong as she is?
instructor Sara maybe?

So I'm playing through chapter 2 atm and man I feel so weak without laura in my party, do we get choose our party members at some point or is it always like this?
Also is any of the other party members as strong as she is?
instructor Sara maybe?

Jusis, Machias, Gaius, Fie

They are all pretty beastly with the right Master and Quartz setups man

Actually. You can make every character monstrous but you are still early in

Yup

Look guys. I still love the game and Rean isnt ALL bad... I just wish they would double down on giving him some CHARACTER

Let him spread out a bit and have some moments. Im hoping Chapter 5 gives me some more to chew on
(what a missed opportunity to mess with Emma about that perfume from Vita! WTF man fucking roll with it like a suave motherfucker!)

He is just NO FUN ALLLOWED all the time

Hmmm, actually I do think he is kind of a fun guy, just not in an overt way but he does have one or two lines that shows his personality.

For example early in the game when he and Alisa were walking back to the dorm-
A: "Hey... It's not often the two of us get to walk back to the dorms together, is it?"

R: "Haha well at least I got something good out of this downpour."

A: "...Is there even a filter between your brain and your mouth?"

R: "Nah. No need for that between friends."

That's as close to gentlemanly flirting as it get lol ^^; it just stood out to me.

I'll try to pick up more good quips when I play later.

Hmmm, actually I do think he is kind of a fun guy, just not in an overt way but he does have one or two lines that shows his personality.

For example early in the game when he and Alisa were walking back to the dorm-
A: "Hey... It's not often the two of us get to walk back to the dorms together, is it?"

R: "Haha well at least I got something good out of this downpour."

A: "...Is there even a filter between your brain and your mouth?"

R: "Nah. No need for that between friends."

I'll try to pick up more good quips when I play later.

Yeah I love that line lol

I was kind of hoping his playfullness would be just as prominent going forward too! He gets a few more moments with Sara and a TON of opportunities with the other classmates but he just drops the ball!

pixxxelz

Jusis, Machias, Gaius, Fie

They are all pretty beastly with the right Master and Quartz setups man

Actually. You can make every character monstrous but you are still early in
Yeah gaius and machias are pretty strong too just not as strong as laura lol, I haven't really used fie or jusis enough though.

And I'm still figuring out how this quartz thing works, I didn't even knew you could change the master quartz until a few hours ago..

Yeah gaius and machias are pretty strong too just not as strong as laura lol, I haven't really used fie or jusis enough though.

And I'm still figuring out how this quartz thing works, I didn't even knew you could change the master quartz until a few hours ago..

Yeah

I dont want to tell ya too much since it starts getting really easy to steamroll everything once you wrap your head around it lol

Oh! I just remembered one more thing.

Rean REALLY like cats with pretty fur... It's quite a strange fascination...

Oh yeah! It did kind of stand out how much he was going on about the cat lol

so in review

- Likes Swords
- Likes Women
- Like Motorcycles
- Likes Cats
- Likes Radio
- Likes Pizza

Guess its not all bad. Just need these traits to become more pronounced and bounced off the other characters more

Im tired of just being praised for helping out all the time

Shouta

Well, Joshua's dark past just makes him all aversive and standoffish (edgy? lol) in comparison to Estelle not being able to keep her cool when she's put under societal pressure. But Joshua has fun and happy parts too, even then. Both of them are really well-rounded characters, though I think Joshua could've been a bit better in some parts outside of acting like a leader on the straight all the time (though there is a really good reason why he acts this way)

What I mean is that those elements are often folded into one character. She doesn't have that dark past so her character doesn't have the problem of multiple aspects clashing. They don't have to spend time developing that for her and folks don't have to associate it with her either. All you see is her journey of growth which is largely a positive journey to most people. Sure, she has some flaws but they're relatively minor and aren't vying for time on screen at the expense of the good stuff. If anything, they improve her character more than they really detract.

The more facets a character has, the more complex it becomes to write them. That's often the downfall of a lot of RPG protagonists. There are too many balls to juggle so writers just end up dropping some of them at some point.

jb1234

Rean is at least inoffensive. There's so many JRPG leads that made me want to scream at the television (Asbel from Tales of Graces being my top pick).

Top Bottom