• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

Nah, you should be fine. I'd recommend playing SC, but it's not needed to play Cold Steel.

I'd say it's not needed in general, but if someone has played FC, I would really recommend playing SC first, as there will be some relatively notable spoilers/build offs from SC stuff that will stand out to someone who has already played SC.

I think that either FC to SC to Cold Steel or Cold Steel to FC to SC work (although the latter will obviously lead to the player knowing how certain things will play out), but FC to Cold Steel to SC would probably be the least ideal way to play the games (well, leaving aside playing SC before FC).

Famassu

Not gonna lie, the big thing that kept me engrossed in FC was the story, the combat system got a little tedious at times and I was wary to hop right into SC due to that. I figured Cold Steel, being a newer release, would probably be a better fit for me if they improved the combat a bit. Which....

It sounds like they did. That is all awesome.

Good to hear. Sounds like I might just find a good rundown of SC before starting cold steel immediately like I planned.
You could play SC on easy and just skip most of the combat, focusing on story-mandated fights & sidequest monsters.

But what about my pride?

Seriously though, that's not a bad idea.

The game isn't that hard even on normal. Food items in that game are broken. There's only one boss fight that'll give you trouble and its the fun kind of difficulty.

But if you're there just to power through the story and hate the combat, then go for easy.

So just went to gamestop to pick up some headphones and saw the Trails of Cold Steel LE sitting there all pretty like.

So I bought it.

Have little to no information about the game, but I have played Trails in the Sky FC now and I enjoyed it.

Anything I absolutely need to know going in?
I have started on cold steel 2 without playing FC or SC. If anything I am really how the events mention, regarding FC and SC, took place. So it just made me wanting to play both FC and SC now. Which I plan to do after I finish cold steel.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
All these Crossbell references have me wondering what the hell is going on over there. Did Zero/Ao have as much reference to Erebonia?

Also, FC and SC are hardly mentioned in Cold Steel. There's a couple incidents and characters that get talked about that you'll understand more fully if you've played those games (mostly SC) but the game does a good job at explaining everything for newcomers.

Zeta Oni

And if you're on the PC, there's cheat engine's speed hack to speed up the slow animations and combat.

Nah, Vita.

The game isn't that hard even on normal. Food items in that game are broken. There's only one boss fight that'll give you trouble and its the fun kind of difficulty.

But if you're there just to power through the story and hate the combat, then go for easy.

It's not a case of hating the combat, I just grew tired of it by the end of FC and was more so pushing on for the story. Kinda like when your playing a Pokémon game and you start going out of your way to avoid other trainers and tall grass between towns. That said, I'll be doing an easy run through it seems.

Just finished reading Red Moon Rose. It was fun, but
they aren't even trying to hide that it's a Tuskihime ripoff, the Nasu style fight scenes, the near identical terminology, the last True Ancestor hunting her own kind and not wanting to drink blood. I mean, it's so blatant.

Now time to finish this game off, tonight hopefully.

Xeteh

What counts as filling out entries in the monster guide? I'm apparently at 193/197 but I've got way more that aren't complete. The game gives you a star next to completed character entries but not monsters.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
kevin-hart-gif.gif

H7bMTCA.gif

tumblr_ltty0dgISO1r1xvj2.gif

Credits

deep-stare.gif

tumblr_m8swwiZjRe1qml34n.gif

SolVanderlyn

Have you now joined us in the waiting game for CSII? Because, argh. I need it. That ending was so damn good at going "BY THE WAY, FUCKING RAMP UP TO HOLY SHIIIIIIIITTTTTTTT"
I thought I understood the need for it before. I didn't. I understand now. What a gauntlet of events.

Rean's VA was really, really good in the final scene

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
End of Chapter 6 to start of next one goes from serious business back ta anime. Weird pacing. This
final(?) Old Schoolhouse dungeon
better have something ta do with something! Anything! Like I dunno even what it could have ta do with anything but still. Its really just been monthly filler so far so my hopes aren't to high.

Don't know if I should be excited I am about to finish or nervous. Wish I waited till cold steel 2 came out before playing...o well should be wrapping up tomorrow evening.

Any tips on fighting Loa E? He takes FOREVER to knock down his ridiculous amount of HP, and he has a tendency to use his party wiping spell at the worst possible times.

One thing I hate about the boss fights in this game are the ones with S-Break or similar abilities. As a player, the S-break is a fair mechanic because it's a trade off, losing access for a round or two to BnB abilities can be rough. When the CPU does it, it can not only wipe your party, more or less at random, but it's not like they lose access to their crafts.

SolVanderlyn

Any tips on fighting Loa E? He takes FOREVER to knock down his ridiculous amount of HP, and he has a tendency to use his party wiping spell at the worst possible times.

One thing I hate about the boss fights in this game are the ones with S-Break or similar abilities. As a player, the S-break is a fair mechanic because it's a trade off, losing access for a round or two to BnB abilities can be rough. When the CPU does it, it can not only wipe your party, more or less at random, but it's not like they lose access to their crafts.
Equip Angel master quartz on someone. Use Laura and boost her strength. Don't be afraid to "waste" 100 CP S Crafts just to kill its minions. They can overwhelm you pretty fast.

Vamphuntr

Is Tauros worth equipping on someone? Like Laura or Rean?

If you add a domination gem you can kill some bosses in 1-hit with Laura S-Break if you stack STR up items on her.

What counts as filling out entries in the monster guide? I'm apparently at 193/197 but I've got way more that aren't complete. The game gives you a star next to completed character entries but not monsters.

For the achievements all their data must be viewable in the book. No ????

Abdiel

Elliot's Def+Regen x 2, Rean with Motivate x2. Also, a tactic I used was to start the fight off with someone I don't plan on using for the actual fight with 200 CP ready and a full room impact S-craft. Clears all the adds in a single shot, then swap them out for the other person I plan to use next turn.

Also, throwing the Accessory that gives Auto-CP generation on Laura is just mean. Every turn (Ally or Enemy) she gets more CP back.

If you add a domination gem you can kill some bosses in 1-hit with Laura S-Break if you stack STR up items on her.

I equipped the "Dragon Vision" gem on Rean. As long as he kills something once, it instantly identifies it. For bosses, just use Elliot or Emma's Scan ability, since that gives you the boosted chance to hit the weak spot anyway. Otherwise use battle scopes.

Xeteh

Ah okay. I was thrown off because of the 193/197 thinking it would show ????? for monsters I hadn't seen in the lists. So I thought I had seen every monster but apparently I missed some in Chapter 3.

Thanks.

Bladenic

Do you want to cheese every boss in the game when you combine it with the domination quartz?

I don't have that one yet. Laura has Brave and the STR is far higher, but I'm assuming 1.5 would be higher. The multiplier isn't just for regular attack right? But then Laura would be even slower. Hmmm.

kubricks

Do you want to cheese every boss in the game when you combine it with the domination quartz?

TBH at end game I felt like cheesing every enemy with high level Master Quartz anyway.
I am not sure I was playing the game the right way... but since enemy hits hard and status alignment can stack, it makes sense to finish the battle as fast as possible.

That or the Master quartz' max abiility is too OP.
I always have a 95% dodge rate Fie in my group just in case.

Xeteh

TBH at end game I felt like cheesing every enemy with high level Master Quartz anyway.
I am not sure I was playing the game the right way... but since enemy hits hard and status alignment can stack, it makes sense to finish the battle as fast as possible.

That or the Master quartz' max abiility is too OP.
I always have a 95% dodge rate Fie in my group just in case.

Max rank Criminal on Emma is just plain dumb if you add Fire Bell quartz too. 90% Crit chance on Arts, the fire spells from Criminal get cut down massively on delay. She can cast like 3-4 in a row easy.

Now that I'm done with Xenoblade I thought long and hard about whether to start Witcher 3 or Trails of Cold Steel.

Even after recently finishing SC, I still have the trails craving so I'm going with this. Can't wait to play it!

Edit: And not even a minute in and some amazing music already hitting. This is definitely a trails game lol.

Max rank Criminal on Emma is just plain dumb if you add Fire Bell quartz too. 90% Crit chance on Arts, the fire spells from Criminal get cut down massively on delay. She can cast like 3-4 in a row easy.

Yeah, the master quartz level 5 bonuses are...Criminal...

kubricks

Then there is the m. Quartz called "eternity", or something, at max level it turns item/food into multi target aoe.... Just think of what you can do lol.

omgfloofy

Banned
This is not a hill worth dying on.

Note how I post previously in this thread reguarding character-related dealings.

It isn't worth getting personal about.

IS that visual design worth saying those things? No, of course it isn't, now is it?

rean-coldsteel2.jpg

(seriously, too. you're reading too much into what I posted if you say I'm getting personal about it.)

Erheller

At chapter 4, and about everyone's parents:
they almost all have a dead parent.

Rean is adopted
Alisa's dad died
Elliot's mom died
Machias' mom isn't mentioned, and his almost-sister died
Jusis' mom died; he's also a bastard son
Fie didn't have a family

It seems only Laura and Gaius had non-dead parents.
Emma could have non-dead parents too, but right now the game isn't telling me anything about her because she's mysterious.

Bladenic

Finished chapter 4. Boss was easy, Laura seems almost too strong. Elliott is still amazing support, Holy Song is insanely potent.

Gu4n

It seems only Laura and Gaius had non-dead parents.
Emma could have non-dead parents too, but right now the game isn't telling me anything about her because she's mysterious.
Is Laura's mother mentioned? I remember both she and Victor are awfully tight-lipped about it. And since Emma was raised by her grandfather (I think?), it's safe to assume something happened to her parents as well.

The only thing mentioned about Laura is
well, raised by a single father.

I assume that means she has no maternal figure growing up.

Top Bottom