• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

Bladenic

Gaius as a lead character? Yes please!

He's the most underutilized character, at least in this game. Well, that's selling him a bit short - he's utilized in a great way up until chapter 3, where he reaches his apex of character development/purpose and then kind of... exists for the rest of the game.

Yeah, I loved him up to that point. And not that I don't still love him, but unfortunately he's just there, sometimes mentioning the wind but that's it. He also becomes less useful as other characters get better and have more useful crafts (though he's still strong).

And yes Insight is a very good status. I always wondered how Gaius was so evasive but it's because his master quarts granted him that status from the start. Alisa's craft that gives insight is also very useful as a result.

Gaius as a lead character? Yes please!

He's the most underutilized character, at least in this game. Well, that's selling him a bit short - he's utilized in a great way up until chapter 3, where he reaches his apex of character development/purpose and then kind of... exists for the rest of the game.

Gaius feels like the Zane of Cold Steel to me. Zane in the original game was a likable guy, but he didn't get a lot of development (although in his case that was more due to only showing up fairly let), but he got really well developed in SC. I feel like Gaius could benefit from the same in CSII. Gaius just needs the chance to break out. Aside from Chapter 3 he was almost always on the side unless you were seeing his bonding events.

omgfloofy

Banned
I was afraid that would happen. He's a good friendly character with a nice family but he makes about as much impact on the story as a marshmallow hitting concrete.

This is partly why. There are series-wide suspicions/theories regarding this, and having him as a lead character would enable that opportunity to happen.

Gaius feels like the Zane of Cold Steel to me. Zane in the original game was a likable guy, but he didn't get a lot of development (although in his case that was more due to only showing up fairly let), but he got really well developed in SC. I feel like Gaius could benefit from the same in CSII. Gaius just needs the chance to break out. Aside from Chapter 3 he was almost always on the side unless you were seeing his bonding events.

I suspect we'll learn more about Zane in the future, too, since Kondo's said that Calvard is next after Erebonia.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Gaius's
relationship with Zechs
was my favorite part of his character, and not at all what I expected going into chapter 3. Was a pleasant surprise
(and callback to SC for fans)

Just beat this game. Loved it.

XSEED....pls.
XSEED is the hero of the year.

Also, on Calvard - it's always seemed to be the least interesting nation that we know about (it's big, it's eastern and it has a lot of cars) but they can really do anything they want with it. I assume we hear more about it in Zero/Ao, but from what we hear in Sky/Cold Steel it's a pretty big blank slate as far as I can tell.

Her late game bonding events and the conversation in
Stella Garden at the festival
, really help showcase that other side of her. Where she's not 'confident' about herself in that feminine respect. The way Rean and she interacted in those moments, I felt did a great job of making him a better foil, in that way (Hah, fencing pun), because he understood her and was able to point out to her without being overly obtuse or anything like that.

Alisa and Rean's pairing is more obvious, in how she's just so naturally expressive about such things. I mean, hell, her trophy is even called
R is for Romance
, haha. But Rean also doesn't really showcase much of himself with their interactions, not nearly as much as how he and Laura seemed to offset each other. I still like both pairings for different reasons, but I'd definitely lean more towards Laura as the better long term match. Also, her dad is awesome.

Agreed on all fronts. He and Laura have a nice, natural interaction style that I associate with friends who could easily be more (but could also just stay friends). Low drama, yeah, but that's part of why I think they'd be a good pair.

Edit: And as you say, Alisa's mom is an interesting lady, but doesn't hold a candle to the Radiant Blademaster as Grade S in law material.

He and Rean probably couldn't get through a family BBQ without their powerful swordsmans' auras spurring each other on to new levels of insight and growth. "Pass the potatoes Rean. No, again. This time with your whole spirit invested!" *Rean unlocks a new craft*

CrazyDude

Gaius's
relationship with Zechs
was my favorite part of his character, and not at all what I expected going into chapter 3. Was a pleasant surprise
(and callback to SC for fans)

XSEED is the hero of the year.

Also, on Calvard - it's always seemed to be the least interesting nation that we know about (it's big, it's eastern and it has a lot of cars) but they can really do anything they want with it. I assume we hear more about it in Zero/Ao, but from what we hear in Sky/Cold Steel it's a pretty big blank slate as far as I can tell.

The nation has a large amount of immigrants from the east and they have terrorists groups that are against these immigration. I believe the Asian culture we associate with Calvard comes from these immigrants. In fact I believe it is mention in Cold Steel that one of these terrorist groups attacked the trade conference in Crosbell along with the Imperial Liberation Front.

My only complaint for this game story wise (not really spoilers but whatever)
is that I dislike how much of the plot revolves around characters keeping information from other characters when it seems like a lot of the time they didn't have to.

Other than that the streamlined gameplay mechanics were a nice change of pace from FC and SC. Started off with a lot of cliches but it got better. Liked the school and the students a lot. I also enjoyed the fact that if you take the time to learn the gameplay mechanics and buffs and debuffs you could potentially break the game. I actually enjoy that fact. I only found maybe 2 or 3 fights the entire game to be challenging but I didn't mind that at all.

I liked having to use different characters sometimes but not all the time. Erebonia is so messed up compared to Liberl. I just wanted to tell class vii to move there and become bracers :(

With that said, I thought by the end of the game it was going to be revealed by
Olivier that the whole point of class vii was to ressurrect the bracer guild in erebonia as a strong organization.

Either way. I played FC a long time ago and SC and CS back to back. Can't get enough of this series.

My only complaint for this game story wise (not really spoilers but whatever)
is that I dislike how much of the plot revolves around characters keeping information from other characters when it seems like a lot of the time they didn't have to.

They didn't have to, but I personally thought the reasoning were quite sound.

Tldr;
you're students on field trips. You don't need to know more than you're supposed to.

They didn't have to, but I personally thought the reasoning were quite sound.

Tldr;
but I mean even the students keeping shit from each other, even after they become friends! I'm looking at you Emma. It almost seemed like every.single.character. had some sort of secret they were keeping from someone or multiple people.

minor complaint of course because I loved the game but still.

omgfloofy

Banned
The nation has a large amount of immigrants from the east and they have terrorists groups that are against these immigration. I believe the Asian culture we associate with Calvard comes from these immigrants. In fact I believe it is mention in Cold Steel that one of these terrorist groups attacked the trade conference in Crosbell along with the Imperial Liberation Front.

Related spoilers to the quote above:

This is absolutely correct. You get bits of glimpses of it in Crossbell, since there's influence from the immigrants there, too.

Another thing that gets me is this: if Calvard is having an influx of immigrants from the east, what's happening in the east to make people migrate like that?

bomblord1

Banned
I was afraid that would happen. He's a good friendly character with a nice family but he makes about as much impact on the story as a marshmallow hitting concrete.

Yea he had a unique position up until most of the classes problems had been worked through and the story shifted to bigger problems.

The music during the Chapter 4 field study city ..

It's in my head ... so relaxing

So good.

The more i play this game , the more i like the music.

CrazyDude

Related spoilers to the quote above:

This is absolutely correct. You get bits of glimpses of it in Crossbell, since there's influence from the immigrants there, too.

Another thing that gets me is this: if Calvard is having an influx of immigrants from the east, what's happening in the east to make people migrate like that?

Also makes you wonder why Calvard is accepting so many of them.

The end of the game on both sides of the TV screen:

AtwqPMk.gif

I had the festival pegged as a Queen's Birthday from FC and these happy people were going to get shocked and voila! Faceful of Front Mission 3 happening!

Who was it that had C pegged? Good lord, it was so unexpected. Very Uchikoshi of them, especially with the blabbermouth moppet being a walking talking red herring.

Also did not expect the strong sorcery/magic lean on the plot. Trails: Always Full Of Surprises.

Was I guess right about Bleublanc? Didn't know the classy chick in my avatar was one too. Speaking of which...

Sharon is former(?) Ouroborus?!? But she said she didn't quit and that she had another employer...and was also fighting an Oroborus customer...exciting!

Good job on that ending, Falcom. It's as great as the beginning was bland. Good job on the text and the vocals which were 99% awesome after everyone got comfortably in character, XSEED.

Yea he had a unique position up until most of the classes problems had been worked through and the story shifted to bigger problems.

It's like...he's crazy intelligent and calm and strong but...nothing. I mean,
both of his parents are alive and errthang! He's the freak of the group! :p

The music during the Chapter 4 field study city ..

It's in my head ... so relaxing

So good.

The more i play this game , the more i like the music.

This game has a really, REALLY strong "album" loadout to the tracks ala FF8 and P3 which the tone, tempo, and the genre align very much like the facets in the rest of the game. I'll try to explore that more in my SOTY post once I get it sorted out.

CrazyDude

Not exactly, actually.

There's actually a lot of political conflict over the immigration going on in Calvard.
I know that, but some parts of those in power are allowing them to enter the country, so I wonder if it might be than just simple generosity. Like is there a population problem? Does one political party benefit from these immigration in some way.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
My hope for CSIII is that
Anelace, and possibly Kurt and co. show up. Yun Ka-fei is her grandfather, after all. AFAIK she's absent from CSII entirely.

Nyoro SF

Just finished chapter 3. That took a while, but the
bosses were
very easy. I didn't think
their health
would drop that fast, and I didn't even use S-Crafts for the first half of the battle.

Please tell me I don't have to do any interaction with Millium for the rest of the game. Or that I can throw her off a cliff. Or just stuff her in the back of my party and never use her. That you can spoil for me.

That being said, after Chapter 3 ended and a whole roll of cutscenes followed...

How the hell did Sara get all the way to the highlands? Same with Sharon? And without a horse between either of them from what I saw. Lends credence to my wiretapping theory and maybe flying on their own devices. Surely it's not a coincidence that both classes went to areas that had Guardian statues, and that Rean reacted with his scar to one (Rean the reincarnation of the Great Knight?)

What the hell did Rean write to his sister? Did he even write that letter himself?
Is Laura just competitive with Fie, is that the only reason she's all cold and frozen like the wonderful ice qu- I mean, straight-laced no nonsense type of person she is?
Rean is gonna hit up the dance with Olivier's sister? APPROVED

I can't believe Alisa's mother certified WMD by force/sneak methods.

I don't need answers to these questions, just ones I was thinking in my head. This game just low rolled a whole bunch of stuff at me.

Erheller

Please tell me I don't have to do any interaction with Millium for the rest of the game. Or that I can throw her off a cliff. Or just stuff her in the back of my party and never use her. That you can spoil for me.

I believe you do have to go through the Old Schoolhouse with her in your party (you can still stick her in the support group), and you have to do a practical with her. And then you can let her rot in the back of your party whenever you have a field study with her.

She won't shut up during cutscenes, though :/

Dio

Banned
I believe you do have to go through the Old Schoolhouse with her in your party (you can still stick her in the support group), and you have to do a practical with her. And then you can let her rot in the back of your party whenever you have a field study with her.

I dunno, she grew on me. If she was voice acted by someone worse I think I'd feel the same as you even after beating the game.

Busaiku

But her facial expressions are awesome.

Taruranto

So what if there is (ending spoiler)
a Giant Robot in the Old School basement. Renne had her own giant robot and that was like 10 games ago!

So what if there is (ending spoiler)
a Giant Robot in the Old School basement. Renne had her own giant robot and that was like 10 games ago!

1) Pater-Mater wasn't sentient
2) Pater-Mater was likened to a puppet
3) The Knights have an ancient history with Zemuria (Remember Jusis' quote in chapter 3?)
4) They form contracts to be of service and are sentient
5) They require Awakeners (I think this is the term?)
6) The power scale is different
7) They can be piloted and have human-like flexibility based on the final fight
8) It's a gamechanger as battles will (most likely) involve mech combats in CS II
9) There are only a limited number of Divine Knights
10) It wasn't 10 games ago :p

I think that cover some of the reasons why! I assume you've beaten the game. If not, read after you have.

Nyoro SF

Everyone is soooo cagey around Class VII, and in turn, everyone including Class VII is soooo cagey around Rean, it's actually almost upsetting. If one more character tries to sweep something suspicious under the rug I'm going to swap out my estelle nendo face with the angry one and point it at my television.

1) Pater-Mater wasn't sentient
2) Pater-Mater was likened to a puppet
3) The Knights have an ancient history with Zemuria (Remember Jusis' quote in chapter 3?)
4) They form contracts to be of service and are sentient
5) They require Awakeners (I think this is the term?)
6) The power scale is different
7) They can be piloted and have human-like flexibility based on the final fight
8) It's a gamechanger as battles will (most likely) involve mech combats in CS II
9) There are only a limited number of Divine Knights
10) It wasn't 10 games ago :p

I think that cover some of the reasons why! I assume you've beaten the game. If not, read after you have.
I really hope
they don't rely on those types of battles I want them to be rare.

Nyoro SF

So far the only music I feel is in god tier is Eliminate Crisis (end-of-chapter boss theme), the Blade game theme, and the school at sunset theme (That beat is serious).

Everything else is OK. I haven't come across a theme I didn't like yet. Pretty solid. If I had one complaint about the soundtrack, it's that the main melody of things sounds too subdued sometimes as opposed to being the forefront, which is noticeable in things such as the regular monster battle theme and sub-boss themes. Luckily Eliminate Crisis bucks this trend.

Zeta Oni

So what's going with everybody chastising
Rean about this situation with his sister?

She runs off crying because of her own faulty logic, and everybody is all "Yeah Rean, should try not being a shitty brother, go find her."

"Well you know what? Probably could have caught up with her if you guys weren't here to remind me how bad I've been doing."

Loving the game so far btw.

She runs off crying because of her own faulty logic, and everybody is all "Yeah Rean, should try not being a shitty brother, go find her."

"Well you know what? Probably could have caught up with her if you guys weren't here to remind me how bad I've been doing."

Standard anime/video-game sibling tropes in full effect. I thought it was cheesy too.

Droplet

Rean wanted to leave his own family to be considerate towards them, but none of his family members want him to do that. Everyone's chastising him because repaying your family by leaving them is kind of an asshole thing to do.

Zeta Oni

Rean wanted to leave his own family to be considerate towards them, but none of his family members want him to do that. Everyone's chastising him because repaying your family by leaving them is kind of an asshole thing to do.

Except he had no intention of "leaving" them, he simply wanted no part of becoming the next Baron following his adoptive father.

Which, given the previous situations that have occurred in this game (along with Rean's own backstory in terms of nobility) is a perfectly acceptable stance to take.

Her issue (Elise) is with him reaching that conclusion through worrying about the concern of others (his sister, and his parents) rather than of his own accord.

Something that could have been said, instead of running off crying and everyone telling Rean it's his fault

Standard anime/video-game sibling tropes in full effect. I thought it was cheesy too.

Yeah, it's the first time in the game so far it's gotten like this.

and the following scenes at the practical exam aren't helping, I mean are they really saying Rean should be acknowledging the fact Elise has romantic feelings for him? I know it's adoptive, but that's not normally a place a brothers mind ever goes.

Droplet

Except he had no intention of "leaving" them, he simply wanted no part of becoming the next Baron following his adoptive father.

Which, given the previous situations that have occurred in this game, along with Reans own backstory in terms of nobility, is a perfectly acceptable stance to take.

Her issue is with him reaching that conclusion through worrying about the concern of others (his sister, and his parents) rather than of his own accord.

Something that could have been said, instead of running off crying and everyone telling Rean it's his fault

He's not exactly leaving them, but the subtext in there is that he doesn't want to stay a part of his family due to the problems he's indirectly caused, but instead just be more of a close associate. He's not doing anything else in the place of taking up the position of Baron, and he's not exactly just saying "well I'd be a shitty baron anyway". Elise is dramatic, yes, but she's a teenager and she's not exactly supposed to be a paragon of emotional control (plus she's...you know, another story entirely. Ugh). I'd fully acknowledge the sibling scenes are strange, but I don't think Rean's position on his family is really as logical as it might seem.

Bladenic

So far the only music I feel is in god tier is Eliminate Crisis (end-of-chapter boss theme), the Blade game theme, and the school at sunset theme (That beat is serious).

Everything else is OK. I haven't come across a theme I didn't like yet. Pretty solid. If I had one complaint about the soundtrack, it's that the main melody of things sounds too subdued sometimes as opposed to being the forefront, which is noticeable in things such as the regular monster battle theme and sub-boss themes. Luckily Eliminate Crisis bucks this trend.

You don't find Don't Be Defeated By. A Friend to be god tier?

Zeta Oni

He's not exactly leaving them, but the subtext in there is that he doesn't want to stay a part of his family due to the problems he's indirectly caused, but instead just be more of a close associate. He's not doing anything else in the place of taking up the position of Baron, and he's not exactly just saying "well I'd be a shitty baron anyway". Elise is dramatic, yes, but she's a teenager and she's not exactly supposed to be a paragon of emotional control (plus she's...you know, another story entirely. Ugh). I'd fully acknowledge the sibling scenes are strange, but I don't think Rean's position on his family is really as logical as it might seem.

I agree for the most part,
but I'd say that there's nothing wrong with Reans reasons not being the most logical. Just like elise being an emotional teenager gives the running away crying some believability, the fact that Rean is chastised for what amounts to his own uncertainty at his future by several people going through the exact same thing just strikes me as out of character for many of them.

They are all young students as well, and being uncertain like that at this particular age is a theme that seems like it's being heavily explored in this game, and these recent scenes just seem like they are going for the exact opposite.

Top Bottom