• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

Nyoro SF

You don't find Don't Be Defeated By. A Friend to be god tier?

Giving it a relisten now; this is probably one that I've heard the least so far in terms of battles which is why it slipped my mind. It's definitely fantastic, but doesn't sound quite as grand or blood-pumping as Eliminate Crisis, so not quite god-tier. ;)

Since this is a game about military students, I was hoping for a bit more of a military edge to the soundtrack like something you'd hear out of Valkyria Chronicles. You know, leading trumpets, snares, etc., but that's just my fan bias. I love the rock and synth of JDK too much to criticize for no reason.

Erheller

I agree for the most part,
but I'd say that there's nothing wrong with Reans reasons not being the most logical. Just like elise being an emotional teenager gives the running away crying some believability, the fact that Rean is chastised for what amounts to his own uncertainty at his future by several people going through the exact same thing just strikes me as out of character for many of them.

They are all young students as well, and being uncertain like that at this particular age is a theme that seems like it's being heavily explored in this game, and these recent scenes just seem like they are going for the exact opposite.
I read that part more as Class VII chastising Rean for trying to solve his family's problems and not relying on them. Rean has Mr. Nice Guy syndrome: he's helpful, he prioritizes other peoples' issues over his own. When Rean says that he doesn't want to become the next Baron, he's forcing his own reasoning on his family without actually listening to them. He thinks that it'll be easier for his family if he's not the next Baron, but it's obvious that he came to that conclusion without consulting his family (or at the very least ignoring their opinions on the matter). I think Rean's class chastises him because he's a) not listening to his family and b) trying to sacrifice himself to reach a conclusion in which nobody is satisfied.

Giving it a relisten now; this is probably one that I've heard the least so far in terms of battles which is why it slipped my mind. It's definitely fantastic, but doesn't sound quite as grand or blood-pumping as Eliminate Crisis, so not quite god-tier. ;)

Since this is a game about military students, I was hoping for a bit more of a military edge to the soundtrack like something you'd hear out of Valkyria Chronicles. You know, leading trumpets, snares, etc., but that's just my fan bias. I love the rock and synth of JDK too much to criticize for no reason.

I wonder how a Sakimoto/JDK collaboration would work out :3

So far the only music I feel is in god tier is Eliminate Crisis (end-of-chapter boss theme), the Blade game theme, and the school at sunset theme (That beat is serious).

Everything else is OK. I haven't come across a theme I didn't like yet. Pretty solid. If I had one complaint about the soundtrack, it's that the main melody of things sounds too subdued sometimes as opposed to being the forefront, which is noticeable in things such as the regular monster battle theme and sub-boss themes. Luckily Eliminate Crisis bucks this trend.

Tie a Link of Arcus!, Class VII, Heimdallr, The Glint of Cold Steel, Land of Blue Skies, Belief, and especially Skies of a Strange Land and Atrocious Raid were huge highlights for this JDK-a-phile. Eliminate's real good; sounds like its out of Kid Icarus: Uprising to me.

I found alot of the "Campus themes" to be really apt compositions, too. The soundtrack has alot of great "album hits" like I said earlier.

I read that part more as Class VII chastising Rean for trying to solve his family's problems and not relying on them. Rean has Mr. Nice Guy syndrome: he's helpful, he prioritizes other peoples' issues over his own. When Rean says that he doesn't want to become the next Baron, he's forcing his own reasoning on his family without actually listening to them. He thinks that it'll be easier for his family if he's not the next Baron, but it's obvious that he came to that conclusion without consulting his family (or at the very least ignoring their opinions on the matter). I think Rean's class chastises him because he's a) not listening to his family and b) trying to sacrifice himself to reach a conclusion in which nobody is satisfied.

The Earth would shatter in twain from the power. :O

Yeah the soundtrack is good. Enjoyed the main menu theme with the addition of the characters and background changes. Last dungeon theme is pretty hyped as well.

Yeah thats how I interpreted that scene as well

I lost it in chapter 4 ( field study day 2 ) :

"That silver haired girl looks like she needs a hug"

All those comments..... /me *dead*

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Don't be Defeated by a Friend! might be the best boss music in a game... ever.

Dio

Banned
Don't be Defeated by a Friend! might be the best boss music in a game... ever.

It's great, but it's eclipsed by some of the boss music in Trails of Zero and Azure.

There's nothing plot related about music, but it's music from Azure so if you don't wanna hear it yet don't click. I personally prefer the Evo version.

Stuff like Unfathomed Force:

Evolution version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6MLMmq0CRw
Original:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5eg5V3uEHw

Zeta Oni

Hmmm, yeah I can see your point.

Still, been a while since a game inspired this much discussion out of a relatively minor scene from me.

It's great, but it's eclipsed by some of the boss music in Trails of Zero and Azure.

There's nothing plot related about music, but it's music from Azure so if you don't wanna hear it yet don't click. I personally prefer the Evo version.

The original track image used is
actually a spoiler

Droplet

Still, been a while since a game inspired this much discussion out of a relatively minor scene from me.

To me it's one of the few scenes that puts Rean's behavior in a negative light, so it's more interesting than the 'go get 'em class VII' scenes that make him seem so dull normally.

Nyoro SF

Just began Chapter 4 Field Study day 1 and stopped for the day.

Saw that twist coming a mile off. Not very subtle with that one eh Falcom? Also Rean's
sister is a super dummy (plot device) beyond imagination, but I'm not sure how she unlocked the door, which is an interesting mystery. And of course they have to play up the sister that likes her adopted brother angle, but I can't muster any motivation to be annoyed by it; maybe because Millium just makes everything look OK by comparison. The cool part of the chapter was seeing Rean showing more determination since the first time since the game began.

The cutscene was directed really poorly for that section with the Old Schoolhouse.
We have characters holding minute-long conversations while a giant headless knight loiters a few feet away. We have a giant suit of armor that attempts to walk forward menacingly but only walks in place. We even have Elise moonwalking forwards both next to the noble dorms and the secret door for slowdown.
Hope the direction and presentation of cutscenes gets better in CS2 and not just the animations.

I enjoy Patrick's voice actor a lot. Perfectly pompous. Standout work.
Claire's voice is kind of weak, I'm going to assume that she's supposed to sound like a very calming soft type, but I just don't get that from her voice at all. I can't tell what the voice actress is trying to make the character be.

I have a feeling that from here on out is when the heavy shit is going to start hitting.
I called the governer being on the board of directors since it was fairly obvious from a major character perspective, and I really like how Rean straight up asked about Class VII's secret role, so they're not just dumbasses surfing along for the ride; they still want to know why they are where they are.

Also spoilers for Emma:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyQUCYl-ocs

Erheller

Yeah, I love how the game's writing actually allows us interpret characters' actions and words in different ways. The characters might generally fit into anime tropes, but I love that they all have their own nuances.

I'm a bit disappointed with the second half of Chapter 4. It went on forever and I expected a bigger payoff considering the setting.

At least there were lots of character introductions and development. Also the city had a great theme.

Fie got even better
Olivier is still the best
Alfin and Elise are cute
The newly introduced Imperial Liberation Front members are weird and silly
Still don't like Machias or Elliot at all

As a general comment, I'm acutally okay with the difficulty on Normal. Bosses could be a tiny bit more difficult, but the only problem I really have that S-Crafts are basically "I win" buttons. So I just don't use them for the most part unless I'm bored with the fight.

What the fuck? (Endgame spoilers)

So somehow, my Legend of Heroes game turned into a goddamned Xeno game near the end.

I'm not opposed to that, but I didn't see it coming. I figured that eventually I was going to pilot that thing, but I didn't expect RPS style mech battles, even when I saw the enemy mechs appear.

Heh... Long wait till Cold Steel 2, I guess.

bomblord1

Banned
Chapter 1-6 SPOILERS

Is it just me or are they setting up Towa as a romantic partner for Rean? Between the motorcycle ride, the shopping trip, him catching her in the library, and the meeting in the computer lab for the video They seem to be giving a lot of positive and romantically charged scenes to her compared to the other girls bonding events.

Not that I'm against that
Towa's
one of my top female characters.

Chapter 1-6 SPOILERS

Is it just me or are they setting up Towa as a romantic partner for Rean? Between the motorcycle ride, the shopping trip, him catching her in the library, and the meeting in the computer lab for the video They seem to be giving her a lot of positive and romantically charged scenes to her compared to the other girls bonding events.

Not that I'm against that
Towa's
one of my top female characters.

They are basically doing this with EVERY female character minus Angelica

The only one Rean bothers flirting with though is Alisa in the very beginning and then its back to being good ol Rean again

bomblord1

Banned

The only one Rean bothers flirting with though is Alisa in the very beginning and then its back to being good ol Rean again

Idk maybe I'm just getting the wrong bonding events but
none of them seem nearly as flirty. There's the occasional mishap but its typical more friendly with the other girls

The difference is
All of Towa's are mandatory, stuff like Laura making food for Rean or Emma showing Rean her secret magic trick or Fie giving him a flower are completely optional

None of this matters because Alisha has either already won or falcom will cop out and let the player pick whoever they want in the end and dance around the subject in future games if Rean shows up.

Idk maybe I'm just getting the wrong bonding events but
none of them seem nearly as flirty. There's the occasional mishap but its typical more friendly with the other girls

Its so ambiguous since you never get into Reans head

He never seems to internally acknowledge any of them or admit he likes someone

Its just "Put Nice Guy into awkward situations with cute girls." Would LOVE to see Rean have some romantics interest or agency for sure

The difference is
All of Towa's are mandatory, stuff like Laura making food for Rean or Emma showing Rean her secret magic trick or Fie giving him a flower are completely optional

None of this matters because Alisha has either already won or falcom will cop out and let the player pick whoever they want in the end and dance around the subject in future games if Rean shows up.
Agreed. If anything I consider Alisa "canon" since she is plaster in front with Rean in promotional art. Nonetheless I feel like there is a chance falcom will let the player pick whomever. I rather have a story/plot related romance. But thats just me.
Its so ambiguous since you never get into Reans head

He never seems to internally acknowledge any of them or admit he likes someone

Its just "Put Nice Guy into awkward situations with cute girls." Would LOVE to see Rean have some romantics interest or agency for sure
Harems :p

Agreed. If anything I consider Alisa "canon" since she is plaster in front with Rean in promotional art. Nonetheless I feel like there is a chance falcom will let the player pick whomever. I rather have a story/plot related romance. But thats just me.

Harems :p

Here is my thoughts on Harems then

dc6abcd09681ce13de178607d6be32e1428b9556_full.jpg

One thing that irks me in this game, and equally in the Persona games, is that the games are focused on interpersonal relationships, but the MCs are written to be a little too neutral/blank slate. I get that they want the player to feel free to envision the character's relationships how they want, but take something like Witcher 3 where you can pursue Triss or Yen, and the game is written to make it seem like Geralt is actually interested in whichever depending on your choices.

It's the one thing I really preferred in TitS, Estelle has consistent and believable motivations.

Rean started off this way I thought, but got a little too Protean as the game progressed.

But I'm just not in to blank slate characters, and I realize lots of folks are, so whatever. They're clearly trying to walk a line with Rean, very curious how he develops in the sequel.

One thing that irks me in this game, and equally in the Persona games, is that the games are focused on interpersonal relationships, but the MCs are written to be a little too neutral/blank slate. I get that they want the player to feel free to envision the character's relationships how they want, but take something like Witcher 3 where you can pursue Triss or Yen, and the game is written to make it seem like Geralt is actually interested in whichever depending on your choices.

It's the one thing I really preferred in TitS, Estelle has consistent and believable motivations.

Rean started off this way I thought, but got a little too Protean as the game progressed.

But I'm just not in to blank slate characters, and I realize lots of folks are, so whatever. They're clearly trying to walk a line with Rean, very curious how he develops in the sequel.

Couldnt have said it better myself

I hate to keep drawing comparisons to FC/SC but hell... those are the games that introduced me to this series and got me hooked.

So of COURSE these kinds of things are going to stick out. I think Falcom made quite a blunder by molding this game to cater to some kind of focus group inspired setup?

This is fine in a video game with no canon ship, but completely worthless in most media with a canon ending/ship
Yep, thats why I feel like there won't be a canon ship in the end. Nonetheless I get both sides. It works in (spoiler about previous games)
FC and SC I am assuming, currently at the end of FC since the canon relationship is written into the story. But for Cold Steel, I am assuming from my experiences, a canon relationship was not written into the story. But hell, I could be wrong who knows what Cold Steel 2 and 3 will bring.

Anyways :p

Either am I but each their own and I understand other people are.

Couldnt have said it better myself

I hate to keep drawing comparisons to FC/SC but hell... those are the games that introduced me to this series and got me hooked.

So of COURSE these kinds of things are going to stick out. I think Falcom made quite a blunder by molding this game to cater to some kind of focus group inspired setup?

Either am I but each their own and I understand other people are.

I actually appreciate that they're trying different things in each of the sub series. I mean, ending spoilers for cold steel,
this is now a Mech game? Crazy!
But I'm always in it for the narrative, which I believe will almost always be better with a defined protagonist.

That said, there were lots of things I liked about the cast in this game and their interactions with Rean, and he often showed hints of being an interesting character. I think it would have helped if we'd seen him visit home. More fleshed out family interactions can do a lot to ground even a traditional silent jRPG protagonist (e.g., the prince in Suikoden V).

I actually appreciate that they're trying different things in each of the sub series. I mean, ending spoilers for cold steel,
this is now a Mech game? Crazy!
But I'm always in it for the narrative, which I believe will almost always be better with a defined protagonist.

That said, there were lots of things I liked about the cast in this game and their interactions with Rean, and he often showed hints of being an interesting character. I think it would have helped if we'd seen him visit home. More fleshed out family interactions can do a lot to ground even a traditional silent jRPG protagonist (e.g., the prince in Suikoden V).

Its a deliberate choice for sure. He does kind of awkwardly tread that line between traditional Jrpg silent protagonist and defined lead.

Cold Steel feels much like a buffet of ideas both new and obviously.... taken from other modern games.

Thankfully it still retains most of its Trails DNA... Im glad they are experimenting since it definitely gave us a lot of fun stuff to play with on the gameplay side

I would prefer if they pedal back a bit and lean heavier on their writers to deliver something more substantial with the characters. It almost seems like the world around them is far more fleshed out than they are.

Its likely intentional since they are kids in a military academy. They just dont bounce off each other enough, a bit too buddy buddy go team. Everything just seems to convenient with them while eveything else outside is in chaos

Yeah those are good points about Estelle and Joshua. Thankfully
its not like Reans fending off every chick he comes across like some two bit stock harem it COULD be. Only Alisa and Towa have shown any real interest.

What the fuck? (Endgame spoilers)

So somehow, my Legend of Heroes game turned into a goddamned Xeno game near the end.

I'm not opposed to that, but I didn't see it coming. I figured that eventually I was going to pilot that thing, but I didn't expect RPS style mech battles, even when I saw the enemy mechs appear.

Heh... Long wait till Cold Steel 2, I guess.

I know, the Happening is off the charts lol

its not like Reans fending off every chick he comes across like some two bit stock harem it COULD be. Only Alisa and Towa have shown any real interest.

Do Elise and the princess not count?

CrazyDude

There was also slight romantic thing going on in the one sidequest with the student nun.

Yeah thats true. Only a handful of chicks seem ACTUALLY interested while the rest are just in awkard situations or are teasing him (sharon)

Yeah thats true. Only a handful of chicks seem ACTUALLY interested while the rest are just in awkard situations or are teasing him (sharon)

Laura seems to have mild interest in him if you talk do her bonding events both during the events and when talking to Monica or her after said events

Famassu

What is it with this game and money? D: I can hardly afford a single new weapon & armor when getting to a new field study area. And I'm not even spending my money on items, accessories or ingredients, just some of the collectables. And it's not like I'm evading combat all that much either... Not that I'm finding it difficult to advance in the game without the newest armor & weapons, but it's kind of weird how little money you get in this game that one can't necessarily even afford essentials to a couple of characters, let alone some extra healing items, not to even mention if someone wanted to have multiple ailment protection accessories just to have protection of super harmful & annoying status ailments like petrify & killblow on more than one or two characters that you can have for free from treasure chests & quest rewards.

Also, how useful is upgrading your weapons? Should I save these U-thingies until later on in the game or should I just throw everything at the weapons I have at any given time?

Top Bottom