• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

Gu4n

If there weren't save bonuses for the sequel I would have imported the NA version a long time ago. Now I still have to wait until the 29.1 for the European version to release.
What are the bonuses anyway? Are you penalized if you start at level 1 in CSII?
Finishing the game on Level 69 or lower nets you 100 of all sepith, an Attack 1 quartz and a Seram Powder; Level 70-79 earns you the same but 300 sepith and an additional Soul Blur quartz; and if you go beyond level 80 in Cold Steel, you get all of the above, but 500 of each sepith and the Saint Force quartz (boosting STR and DEF with +25%).

Finishing Cold Steel on Academic Rank A1 nets you a Silver Badge and A0 - surprise, surprise - a Golden Badge. The Silver Badge boosts your HP with 500 and EP 50 while the Gold Badge doubles that and throws in a +10 stat boost for STR, DEF, ATS and ADF.

Yu Narukami

Finishing the game on Level 69 or lower nets you 100 of all sepith, an Attack 1 quartz and a Seram Powder; Level 70-79 earns you the same but 300 sepith and an additional Soul Blur quartz; and if you go beyond level 80 in Cold Steel, you get all of the above, but 500 of each sepith and the Saint Force quartz (boosting STR and DEF with +25%).

Finishing Cold Steel on Academic Rank A1 nets you a Silver Badge and A0 - surprise, surprise - a Golden Badge. The Silver Badge boosts your HP with 500 and EP 50 while the Gold Badge doubles that and throws in a +10 stat boost for STR, DEF, ATS and ADF.

Don't these rewards make the game super easy in the beginning?

Well that sounds better than the garbage you get from importing FC into SC.

Don't these rewards make the game super easy in the beginning?

Honestly, the only rewards that are even worth anything, are the badges, and even they get outclassed fairly early. The quartz are basic level and don't have additional stats on them and the sepith means you can buy a few cheap things or upgrade a few cheap slots that you probably could have done after a handful of battles, nothing too gamebreaking really.

Even without any of them, the game would still be easy at the start, unless you were to start on hard/nightmare and didn't have a grasp on the combat system yet for whatever reason.

That sounds really game breaking for early CS2. Seeing level 80 mentioned, I assume there's no continuum of levels between CS 1 and 2 like there was between FC and SC, i.e. you start CS2 at a lower level.

aravuus

If there weren't save bonuses for the sequel I would have imported the NA version a long time ago. Now I still have to wait until the 29.1 for the European version to release.

Import CS, then import CS2 when it comes out! That's what I'm doing, anyway.

Sure hope there won't be any problems with the saves.

Gu4n

That sounds really game breaking for early CS2. Seeing level 80 mentioned, I assume there's no continuum of levels between CS 1 and 2 like there was between FC and SC, i.e. you start CS2 at a lower level.
It's always level 40. If it breaks too much for you, just un-equip it. I personally found it rather convenient for the first boss fight.

kubricks

I started Cs2 1st play through with hard And tbh, those badges and stuff makes not much different, if any at all.

Edit: strat on hard not nightmare, sry for the mix up

Damn that boss at the end
was kinda hard. I usually never use items in trails games for some reason but I had to whip out some zeram powders at the end of it. Also knowing JRPGs there will be another boss at the end wont there. Talking about the second trial shadow looking thing. I had to stop a little after.

I'm conflicted. I agree with both of these >.>

I think Laura is pretty awesome but yeah she doesnt get much emotional range except for a few areas

Even then she has a habit of dealing with things and brushing stuff aside rather quickly... though you could say that for a lot of the characters

Curses! Guess he would have been overpowered anyway compared to the rest.

Laura's Dad and Cassius become the new protagonists for Cold of Steel 3.

Yes, sign me up. Bring along Rean's master too. I get that the games are about the younger generation forging their own heroic path, but the old lions should be doing more than wearing snazzy scarves and taking airship joyrides.

Laura is boring.

Hey, that's my dancing partner. I like how simple and forthright her approach always is.

Curses! Guess he would have been overpowered anyway compared to the rest.

Yes, sign me up. Bring along Rean's master too. I get that the games are about the younger generation forging their own heroic path, but the old lions should be doing more than wearing snazzy scarves and taking airship joyrides.

Hey, that's my dancing partner. I like how simple and forthright her approach always is.

They keep hinting that
she might be a Lesbian
which would be soul crushing for how Ive played Rean so far lol

I was also on team laura but sometime near the end I realized how boring she is. I still like her but she's just stale. Doesn't seem like she cares about much. Alisa and Emma are where it's at.

I was also on team laura but sometime near the end I realized how boring she is. I still like her but she's just stale. Doesn't seem like she cares about much. Alisa and Emma are where it's at.

Yeah...

Its like... you want to see her lose her cool at some point just to get a glimpse under the surface but what little insecurities she has dont seem to have much impact

You get small tidbits in Chapter 5 but nothing overly significant

Honestly if it were up to me I would have my Rean romance Vita Clotilde like a damn boss

Eh I hate harems, I rather there was an actual story chosen romance if there is going to be one. Just me however. I just feel it can be more useful in making a better story. Each thier own of course.

They keep hinting that
she might be a Lesbian
which would be soul crushing for how Ive played Rean so far lol

I didn't get that impression at all into middle of chapter 6

Yeah...

Its like... you want to see her lose her cool at some point just to get a glimpse under the surface but what little insecurities she has dont seem to have much impact

Honestly if it were up to me I would have my Rean romance Vita Clotilde like a damn boss

Or Towa, her and Rean seem to have really good chemistry when they work together. Too bad Alisha is obviously OTP and even if she wasn't then the Rean would probably end up with
Elise, because Japan and popular and not really his sister shenanigans

In terms of Rean OTP, it's obviously Alisha >
Towa
>
Crow
>
everyone else

Or Towa, her and Rean seem to have really good chemistry when they work together. Too bad Alisha is obviously OTP and even if she wasn't then the Rean would probably end up with
Elise, because Japan and popular and not really his sister shenanigans

Japanese writers may love the imouto shenanigans, but
they never win.

Yeah...

I get that, but not losing her cool is a big part of her core character. She's centered, grounded, level headed. She's got a great relationship with her father, and her life is focused on the blade and knightly virtues. I do think they could give her a meaningful setback related to her role as the party's steadfast rock, like a powerful foe makes her question her skill or whatever, but don't think it would feel true to the character to have her getting all worked up over interpersonal stuff like Alisa, or all flustered and uncertain like Emma.

Chapter 5 spoiler :

Laura's development will probably be centered more on the mystical side of things, what's with the Lance Maiden saving her at Lohengrin Castle.

I get that, but not losing her cool is a big part of her core character. She's centered, grounded, level headed. She's got a great relationship with her father, and her life is focused on the blade and knightly virtues. I do think they could give her a meaningful setback related to her role as the party's steadfast rock, like a powerful foe makes her question her skill or whatever, but don't think it would feel true to the character to have her getting all worked up over interpersonal stuff like Alisa, or all flustered and uncertain like Emma.

hahah probably the best character moment was when
her dad surprised her and started rubbing her damn head with that weird animation lol

But yeah I get that she is a more stable character. Shes a lot like Gaius (who really get nothing to work with after the awesome Nord Chapter)

Good life, great family and very little underlying issues.

I dunno. I think the one thing about the writing that sticks out is just how safe and unsurprising this game is. I get that its mostly setup and the context is that they ARE young and are students

ANd hell they get involved in BIG picture stuff but it just doesnt bit as hard for me? I dunno. I m having a hard time pinning down my overall feelings.

LOVE the game regardless. There is just so many great things to latch onto but I certainly have more criticisms to throw here than I did with FC/SC

Gaius at least gets that bad ass moment in chapter 3 I believe when he
asks what makes being a noble so special Patrick can shit on other people

Gaius at least gets that bad ass moment in chapter 3 I believe when he
asks what makes being a noble so special Patrick can shit on other people

Oh I love his character mostly because there is nothing missing

Peaceful, Driven, Artistic, and Inquisitive

For him at least I could see foils coming later as bad things happen around him.

I suppose Laura is very similar in that her goals are clear, her life and relationships are good.

Chapter 5 spoiler :

Laura's development will probably be centered more on the mystical side of things, what's with the Lance Maiden saving her at Lohengrin Castle.

That would be cool - I left endgame feeling fairly unsatisfied with the mystical stuff. Lots of tantalizing hints, but I just didn't get much of a sense of what it's really about. Maybe some of it is helped by context from the other Legend of Heroes games?

hahah probably the best character moment was when
her dad surprised her and started rubbing her damn head with that weird animation lol

But yeah I get that she is a more stable character. Shes a lot like Gaius (who really get nothing to work with after the awesome Nord Chapter)

Good life, great family and very little underlying issues.

I dunno. I think the one thing about the writing that sticks out is just how safe and unsurprising this game is. I get that its mostly setup and the context is that they ARE young and are students

ANd hell they get involved in BIG picture stuff but it just doesnt bit as hard for me? I dunno. I m having a hard time pinning down my overall feelings.

LOVE the game regardless. There is just so many great things to latch onto but I certainly have more criticisms to throw here than I did with FC/SC

Lol, love that scene - as a dad it's just right. Doesn't matter if your little angel is a bad ass swords woman, still your little angel.

Regarding the arc of the game, I kept expecting the potential role/purpose of class VII to be made more explicit and to be more clearly tied into the larger political and mystical goings on.
But, maybe that's expecting too much clarity from one of Olivert's whims =P

That would be cool - I left endgame feeling fairly unsatisfied with the mystical stuff. Lots of tantalizing hints, but I just didn't get much of a sense of what it's really about. Maybe some of it is helped by context from the other Legend of Heroes games?

Lol, love that scene - as a dad it's just right. Doesn't matter if your little angel is a bad ass swords woman, still your little angel.

Regarding the arc of the game, I kept expecting the potential role/purpose of class VII to be made more explicit and to be more clearly tied into the larger political and mystical goings on.
But, maybe that's expecting too much clarity from one of Olivert's whims =P

I suppose I might have preferred that the characters all hated each other from the start lol

We only get mini conflicts of varying intensity (and mostly unsatisfying) from the outset and then everyone all the sudden best buddies.

Would have loved a bit more tangible drama :p

I suppose I might have preferred that the characters all hated each other from the start lol

We only get mini conflicts of varying intensity (and mostly unsatisfying) from the outset and then everyone all the sudden best buddies.

Would have loved a bit more tangible drama :p

Yeah, I thought the game was going to focus more on the interpersonal journey of Class VII, but when most of that was fairly quickly resolved I expected more of the heavy hitting integration with the wider world stuff and was left mildly unsatisfied. But still really liked the game, and betting CS2 will deliver most of what I was wanting.

More so then the characters hating each other I wish some of them were a bit more plain or less privileged. Like I get that Class 7 is meant to serve as a melting pot in the middle of the nobles vs reformist faction issue, though whenever that issue gets brought up
not even Machias is that super gung ho pro reformist acknowleding its a complex issue and that both sides have good points
. I guess I wish all of class 7 wasn't
special snowflakes in some way, the closest to just a normal guy is Gaius and due to being a foreigner he's extremely far removed from the noble vs commoner issue

I think the biggest thing is that most conversations dont go to a special place where they are memorable

No WTF moments, or OH DAMN moments, or FUCK YOU moments

Very Tame even when you think it shouldnt be

I think the biggest thing is that most conversations dont go to a special place where they are memorable

No WTF moments, or OH DAMN moments, or FUCK YOU moments

Very Tame even when you think it shouldnt be

I like that though, it makes the characters feel more grounded in reality and less anime if that makes sense.

bomblord1

Banned
I hate it when the game sets up what you think is a miniboss or a boss and you throw out your S-Craft as an opener and they all die in one shot. I feel like all I did was waste an S-Craft and then the real big baddie shows up and you're down an S-Craft

I like that though, it makes the characters feel more grounded in reality and less anime if that makes sense.

I would argue the exact opposite lol

Just to solidify my point I did a google search for Trails in the Sky best moments and just reading the posts is flooding my memory banks with awesome moments

http://steamcommunity.com/app/251290/discussions/0/485622866438027159/

I should try to do the same for this game because there ARE great moments that I remember

Towa
>
Crow
>
everyone else

I think Laura has a good vibe with Rean due to their swordmanship bonding and general similar mentality, I'll put her just a little behind Towa.

Plus he has already (chapter 5)
left a good impression with her dad so that's half the battle won

I think Laura has a good vibe with Rean due to their swordmanship bonding and general similar mentality, I'll put her just a little behind Towa.

Plus he has already (chapter 5)
left a good impression with her dad so that's half the battle won

Yeah thats what i would like!

Or at the very least let me have my duel with her

Of course Rean wouldnt even revel in a victory. He would be like "good job" "you almost had me" "if i didnt dodge at the last second i would be laid up for weeks"

God i hate that shit

aravuus

Yeah thats what i would like!

Or at the very least let me have my duel with her

Of course Rean wouldnt even revel in a victory. He would be like "good job" "you almost had me" "if i didnt dodge at the last second i would be laid up for weeks"

God i hate that shit

I've been surprisingly okay with it so far, although it might be thanks to this thread. Adjusted my expectations regarding Rean, i.e. I was prepared to hate him, but he's okay for the most part.

Generally I agree, though. It's okay to sometimes just smile and thank when someone praises you and/or wants to reward you with something. No need to go through the "oh I'm so humble, I couldn't!" bullshit every time.

e: also looks like I'm just going to continue disagreeing with many (most?) Trails fans here lol. I'm not even halfway through CS and I already think it's far better than FC and SC were. CS has no Olivier but other than that, I like majority of the characters more than probably any TiTS character, which in turn makes the dialogue a lot more engaging and the plodding plot far more tolerable. Gameplay is infinitely more fun, although still not that great. I personally thought TiTS' OST was super forgettable, so even though it's no Uematsu or Shimomura score, CS has been a massive upgrade on that front too.

Towa
>
Crow
>
everyone else

Japanese writers may love the imouto shenanigans, but
they never win.

I would normally agree with this but FC/SC spoilers
Estelle and Joshua is canon and they're relationship is initially established as bro and sis

Estelle and Joshua is canon and they're relationship is initially established as bro and sis

Yeah but the writing saved it

They should definitely NOT repeat it with another set of characters so Elise is off limits or I fucking quit this series

Rean needs to drop the hammer (most likely is the most infuriatingly nice way possible)

Yeah but the writing saved it

They should definitely NOT repeat it with another set of characters so Elise is off limits or I fucking quit this series

Rean needs to drop the hammer (most likely is the most infuriatingly nice way possible)

I could see Falcom copping out and giving every girl that scene in CS3 where the player chooses unless something in CS2/CS3 makes Rean x Alisha as definitive as Estelle x Joshua was

I could see Falcom copping out and giving every girl that scene in CS3 where the player chooses unless something in CS2/CS3 makes Rean x Alisha as definitive as Estelle x Joshua was

I would be ok choosing though it could make thins tricky since it is one giant connected world

They could just go the "he doesnt end up with anyone" route with him continuing to be some selfless superhero that revels in nothing

That sounds like a worst case scenario

Honestly, I'd say the circumstances are pretty different.

It was obvious from the first scene
that Joshua/Estelle was going to be OTP, and that Joshua was the 'boy who harbours a deep love for her since childhood, but is cool, calm and never lets himself slip out his true feelings', whereas Estelle was the girl who deep down shared the same feelings but needed some sort of trigger to make her realise it.

Tldr; I've watched enough anime/read enough manga that I could see through the romance archetypes from a mile away.

Am I reading too much into this or is this a spoiler?

e: or just simply misunderstanding

You're reading too much into it.

It's unfounded concern of what is simply a popular storytelling trope in Japanese fiction in the past several years.

I guess its how it is presented. While FC/SC
Estelle and Joshua was presented at the beginning and its part of the story. Alright thats doable since its not the cringe worthy onii-chan trope. While Elisa is presented as the onii-cha <3 anime trope
Am I reading too much into this or is this a spoiler?

e: or just simply misunderstanding
Well have you reached chapter 3? You can assume it
Rean's sister <3 her onii-chan

I guess its how it is presented. While FC/SC
Estelle and Joshua was presented at the beginning and its part of the story. Alright thats doable since its not the cringe worthy onii-chan trope. While Elisa is presented as the onii-cha <3 anime trope

Well have you reached chapter 3? You can assume it
Rean's sister <3 her onii-chan

Exactly!

As if this game needed to revel in more anime tropes than it already has ON TOP of ripping so many persona elements

Guys Im already trying hard not to be down on this game with my criticisms but sometimes you harp the most on the things you love.

aravuus

You're reading too much into it.

It's unfounded concern of what is simply a popular storytelling trope in Japanese fiction in the past several years.

It's not even that, I mixed up Elise and Alisa lol. It's this damn cold! I can't even think straight.

I might have to skip work tomorrow and, uh, lie down all day.. And play Cold Steel

Cough

It's not even that, I mixed up Elise and Alisa lol. It's this damn cold! I can't even think straight.

I might have to skip work tomorrow and, uh, lie down all day.. And play Cold Steel

Cough

Do it!

Long jRPGs are best played in bed, w/ some warm tea and a nagging sense of guilt over shirked adult responsibilities.

Top Bottom