• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

omgfloofy

Banned
Wow those lore bombs so
So seventh Anguis is a master swordsman? Very interesting.
Is 3rd filled with such bombs?

3rd has some big lore bombs like that. But it also has some really subtle ones in there too. Things that made me want to flip tables several games later when I found connections of things that shouldn't be connected, and so forth.

Asd202

3rd has some big lore bombs like that. But it also has some really subtle ones in there too. Things that made me want to flip tables several games later when I found connections of things that shouldn't be connected, and so forth.

Damn my thirst for 3rd grows.

Gu4n

Maybe we should do that crack door and see what people make of it. It's not like in ties in with anything ever.

Until it does.

*dun dun duuuuun*

i wanna see it now that you mentioned it

xseed pls, gib 3rd ;_;

The thirst for Trails is too strong.

I've considered importing Zero and Azure multiple times and had to repeatedly talk myself out of it since I can't read a single word of Japanese. The things I'd do for a 3rd/Zero/Ao PC/Vita localization.

aravuus

While I'm so far much more positive about Rean than most of you, I'll say one thing about him: he has an annoying way of sometimes picking his words as if he was explaining the situation to me, the player, and like I was an idiot. Like he's not actually talking to the character that's standing right before him.
Alisa's maid
(early chapter 3 char spoiler) cooked something and we got a small scene between Alisa and her. After that, when I went to talk to the maid, Rean said something like "at first it looked like you two were fighting, but if you paid attention, you could be certain it wasn't fighting at all!" (fuck can't remember exactly what it was, it sounded even more awkward lol)

It doesn't sound anything like what a real person would say to another at all, and while I can't remember other examples exactly, I could swear it's happened a couple of times already. A minor nitpick, but they stand out. Rean's dialogue is the one that has most examples of awkward/unnatural feeling lines otherwise too, though it might be because he probably also has the most lines.

Thoraxes

Anyone fearing Platinuming this game since it requires a second playthrough, don't be. I've played the second playthrough for about 10 hours and I'm already in Chapter 5, this while having done all the quests again (+ fishing whenever possible + opening all treasure chests + collecting the Red Moon Rose novellas again + doing all the bonding events I didn't in the first time around). Being able to fast forward through all the discussions & skipping some side stuff that doesn't need to be done twice really saves A LOT of time. Of course it helps that I'm one-shotting all enemies & most bosses as well (especially when Laura is involved). Though my first playthrough seems to have been a bit slower than other people's (I was almost 90 hours in before the credits rolled), this seems to be going at a pace that is something like 1/7th of the first playthrough.
Yeah it's not bad at all. And I say this as someone who took about 95 hours for my first playthrough, and loved every minute.

I already did all the fishing and books, and maxed bonding stuff on 4 people my first run. So I'm doing a second set of 5 people for bonding+final dungeon, then getting the rest on NG+.

I only finished 5 AP short of A0, so this next run should be fine too. I think the actual hardest thing for me will be getting all the chests, because even with the quartz, I accidentally will take them out of my active party and lose the effect haha.

But I got most of the tedious stuff out of the way already thankfully.

"Radiant Wings"
increases Physical abilities at the expense of magical ones

Wait ... so the already broken laura S Arseid can be fruther broken in term of damage output ..

Thanks GAME !!!

"Radiant Wings"
increases Physical abilities at the expense of magical ones

Wait ... so the already broken laura S Arseid can be fruther broken in term of damage output ..

Thanks GAME !!!

I really just perfer to have Jusis use Noble command twice as quickly as possible before I let her attack anything since I always give her the quartz that lets her do double damage her first attack of each battle.

I really just perfer to have Jusis use Noble command twice as quickly as possible before I let her attack anything since I always give her the quartz that lets her do double damage her first attack of each battle.

When she gets to the final level of her master quarts she'll start with max buffed attack and that won't be needed :)

Droplet

Anyone fearing Platinuming this game since it requires a second playthrough, don't be. I've played the second playthrough for about 10 hours and I'm already in Chapter 5, this while having done all the quests again (+ fishing whenever possible + opening all treasure chests + collecting the Red Moon Rose novellas again + doing all the bonding events I didn't in the first time around). Being able to fast forward through all the discussions & skipping some side stuff that doesn't need to be done twice really saves A LOT of time. Of course it helps that I'm one-shotting all enemies & most bosses as well (especially when Laura is involved). Though my first playthrough seems to have been a bit slower than other people's (I was almost 90 hours in before the credits rolled), this seems to be going at a pace that is something like 1/7th of the first playthrough.

Yeah I'm on Chapter 6 now, aside from learning I need to go through the final dungeon again because I'm a big dummy, I'm enjoying taking my time and trying to get the things I missed. I don't really go out of my way to skip cutscenes since I enjoy watching them, and I didn't carry over levels (just items, quartz, sepith, notebook data, etc), but the first time I tried doing a NG+ I carried over my levels and you can actually just kill the enemies on the field if you're too strong for them. I can imagine with that + dash + fastforwarding cutscenes the second playthrough would be done in no time at all. Although I suppose you'd still really have to have enjoyed the game to want to do that again.

MSMrRound

Hey guys, just finished Trails in the sky SC.

Question about Cold Steel...do anyone know of a max AP guide, preferably with no spoilers? Thanks!

Nyoro SF

Hey guys, just finished Trails in the sky SC.

Question about Cold Steel...do anyone know of a max AP guide, preferably with no spoilers? Thanks!

I used the PSNProfiles one, but unfortunately, it has a tendency to actually write out the name of upcoming bosses and events.

Like... random example, it would say "Join up with Character X in the sewers"
Rather than writing it in a non-spoiler way which is like "See event at this location".
"Fight Boss X" instead of
"Prepare for upcoming boss fight".

So if someone can come up with a better one, I'd try that instead of the one I used.

Baust

So, um... I found a map that looks a lot like earth in the Imperial Chronicle building in Heimdallr. Anyone see this before?

V4u4bH4.jpg

What's this all about?

Chapter 4 Intro - > Hello Instructor Sara. Lemme practice CPR on you instead.

Plot is starting to pick up. I assume, by process of elimination that this chapter is gonna be about Emma, which has peaked my interest a lot

Famassu

Chapter 4 Intro - > Hello Instructor Sara. Lemme practice CPR on you instead.

Plot is starting to pick up. I assume, by process of elimination that this chapter is gonna be about Emma, which has peaked my interest a lot
If you want an answer to that assumption:
Not really...

aravuus

Similar to this map from 1570.

Final series twist will be that we are the ancient civilization and the trails game take place in the far future.

I know you're joking and all but I'm not gonna deny it - I'd love this twist to death lol

I've always really enjoyed the "fantasy world you've been going through is actually related to the REAL world in some way" twist. It doesn't feel overused either, I can recall only a couple of examples.

I have a question.

It was mentioned in the game that part of Class VII's training since they may become part of the military in the future is solving problems with or without or orders.

From what I remember that supposedly what the Bracers are about and was explicitly mentioned in trails in the sky as the difference between the army and the bracers with the former needing orders before doing actions and the latter having more flexibility. Does this show the difference between Erebonia and Liberl or just an inconsistency with the games? I ask this because that class vii reminds me more of the bracer rather than being part of the military.

EDIT: lol should have advance the story a little as my question was answered in game

I have a question.

It was mentioned in the game that part of Class VII's training since they may become part of the military in the future is solving problems with or without or orders.

From what I remember that supposedly what the Bracers are about and was explicitly mentioned in trails in the sky as the difference between the army and the bracers with the former needing orders before doing actions and the latter having more flexibility. Does this show the difference between Erebonia and Liberl or just an inconsistency with the games? I ask this because that class vii reminds me more of the bracer rather than being part of the military.

EDIT: lol should have advance the story a little as my question was answered in game

LOL yep, it'll all make sense once you finish CS1

occelinho

Finished this game now and I REALLY need the sequel!
So much happened in the end.

Final chapter spoiler:
I bookmarked / saved a lot of posts with spoiler tags I wanted to read after finishing Trails of Cold Steel and someone said "it was obvious that Crow is C, who didn't see that coming?" - well, something along these lines.

How exactly was it obvious aside from "C" being the initial letter of "Crow"? What else made it so obvious?
Yeah he wasn't there when the group engaged C in the mine, but at this time his absence made a lot of sense, did anyone really thought "this is fishy" the first time they saw that cutscene?
The only thing that was obvious to me that C / V / S weren't in the Airship that got shot down. It always felt like it was just a distraction.

Also: that concert was reaaaally cringeworthy. :x Especially the animations.

Gu4n

So, um... I found a map that looks a lot like earth in the Imperial Chronicle building in Heimdallr. Anyone see this before?
What's this all about?
Just an old map:

If anything, the map clearly highlights Nova Zemla which Trails' continent is named after. XSEED went with Zemuria before Falcom themselves romanised it as Zemlya.

Final chapter spoiler:
I bookmarked / saved a lot of posts with spoiler tags I wanted to read after finishing Trails of Cold Steel and someone said "it was obvious that Crow is C, who didn't see that coming?" - well, something along these lines.

How exactly was it obvious aside from "C" being the initial letter of "Crow"? What else made it so obvious?
Yeah he wasn't there when the group engaged C in the mine, but at this time his absence made a lot of sense, did anyone really thought "this is fishy" the first time they saw that cutscene?
The only thing that was obvious to me that C / V / S weren't in the Airship that got shot down. It always felt like it was just a distraction.

I agree with your on the spoiler.
It's not as obvious as people make it out to be. Because I knew who C was (spoiled by the soundtrack of Sen no Kiseki II), I paid careful attention to how the narrative directed this reveal. If anything, the game is trying hard to direct you into believing it's Cayenne underneath the mask.

Final chapter spoiler:

For me, it was this:
A crow shown in the opening right before C is on screen.
C's identity is pretty mysterious, and seems to be a big secret. His name probably starts with the letter C, and there aren't that many suspects.

Based on this, I was already thinking "well, it would be crazy if Crow was C, wouldn't it?"

Then during Chapter 5 you just hear a recording of C's voice when Crow was around. It's kind of suspicious for him not to come out and show himself if he's there.

And when Crow disappeared in Chapter 6 I was convinced. It was too suspicious, and he disappears and then reappears at the most convenient times.

I started out by trying to eliminate Crow as a suspect, but as the game went on I kept realizing, "no, Crow has to be C, there are too many hints".

Final chapter spoiler:

Speaking only for me, we had guessed and loved toying with the theory but until the reveal, it was just a theory spun out of an intuition.
There was nothing obvious about it and it was impossible to guess any kind of motive, let alone a connection to an Anguis and Knights.

I agree with your on the spoiler.
It's not as obvious as people make it out to be. Because I knew who C was (spoiled by the soundtrack of Sen no Kiseki II), I paid careful attention to how the narrative directed this reveal. If anything, the game is trying hard to direct you into believing it's Cayenne underneath the mask.

I had the complete opposite read on the narrative flow :

The way they've set up the ILF, with the story characters acknowledging the weirdness of C wearing a mask, and then having V,S, and G all having relatively sympathetic backstories felt very much like a lead-in towards C also being a somewhat sympathetic figure, and Cayenne doesn't fit that mold.

Of course, it could've been a swerve
hahaha, it turns out the leader of ILF wasn't the some sympathetic figure as well, but was an asshole manipulating the other members to feed his goal, but when Comrade G died off-screen, I changed my mind because if Comrade C was a manipulative asshole, I would imagine the story would secretly pivot the rest of ILF as scapegoats to Comrade C, but it was never portrayed as such.

So, when that happened
my primary candidates went to Claire or Crow, but the story set-up quickly debunked Claire as a suspect, which leaves Crow.

omgfloofy

Banned
About the current spoiler topic:

Full game SC and Cold Steel (only 1, not 2) spoilers both in this!
I actually think that the game expects you to know C = Crow by the time you get to the reveal. For a Kiseki game and its betrayals (while I know most people here only know about Alba/Weissmann, it's not the only betrayal to have happened in the series) - C was a far more overt and easy to figure out, and very uncharacteristic for the series.

As a result, I think the goal is to leave you conflicted by the time the reveal happens. This is how I saw several people, myself included, experience it. Grow attached to Crow early on in the class stuff, not entirely think about C too much at the start. You get your first moment to think about him come chapter 4, then chapter 5 happens, and finally chapter 6.

Crow leaving during the mines was, to me, extremely suspicious and that's where I finally made my connection. But I actually had one of those 'knot in my stomach' feelings because I was actually VERY attached to him. By putting him in Class VII, it made him much more 'human' than just a villain with a mask on. Most everyone that I've seen played Cold Steel deduced that C = Crow before the final chapter. ...and I actually think that's the intended impact of it.

I think the writing in the game makes you want to see C as 'Crow' first and foremost, even when you figure out who C is, you'll still think of him as Crow, and if you end up liking him- it's going to punch you in the heartstrings more than if he's just a random traitor in the group. And if you KNOW it's him, you're going to have this 'oh god please don't' feeling over it until the reveal happens.

Cold Steel is a game that 100% plays on anticipation and 'waiting for the other shoe to drop.' It has several of those kinds of moments, layered into it. C = Crow is just one of those moments.

As I said/posted the second (fulll game spoilers)
C appeared on screen I guessed C would be Crow, I later saw the Sen 2 ost which had Crow looking all evil and it confirmed it. Really the easiest way to know that its Crow is the old Agatha Christie mystery villain logic. Introduce the villain before a masked villain is introduced and the audience is less likely to suspect them. Crow is introduced really early in the game for seemingly no reason and then right after you meet C Crow joins class 7. The fact Cayenne is introduced after this point as a horrible ass hole just made him a red herring that the players were supposed to be tricked into thinking was C even if it really made no sense. It was too obvious a red herring, plus why would Cayenne wear a mask when he could just hire some jeagers (which he actually did) to act as a go between giving orders to the terrorist. Also The fact you never saw C on camera with Crow just audio should have really tipped people off.

End game spoilers.
Crow was obvious because the only other character with a C name it could have been is Claire. And C was clearly male. It was obvious that they were going to make C a somewhat sympathetic character (because Kiseki does this all the time) and C wasn't going to be some random person you had no reason to care about like Cayenne.

Full game SC and Cold Steel (only 1, not 2) spoilers both in this!
And what I assume are Crossbell spoilers.

Cqef

general & endgame spoilers
I don't think that "C = Crow" was supposed to be such a secret or hard to figure out to begin with, as Floofs said.
The whole point to me was something like, even though you knew, deep down, that he'll end up being revealed as a bad guy, you desperately want the game to prove you wrong because he's such a cool character and you grew really fond of him. I mean he was such a bro, man. Lol I'm almost crying typing those lines. Seriously, I even gave the game the chance to prove me wrong down to the moment when he faces Rean on the mechas. Crow shitting on all those moments spent together was so heartbreaking ;_;
PLS GIB ME COLD STEEL 2 SO I CAN BASH HIM UP FOR GOOD

omgfloofy

Banned
Well that narrows it down even further.

Sure it does. 99% of that spam in my post is actually on Cold Steel. I reference something back in SC at the start of it that is a spoiler for FC and SC.

I'm basically talking about what I think is an intentional thing in the game's writing. There are just Cold Steel spoilers all through it. I didn't even touch the second game in there.

Sure it does. 99% of that spam in my post is actually on Cold Steel. I reference something back in SC at the start of it that is a spoiler for FC and SC.

I'm basically talking about what I think is an intentional thing in the game's writing. There are just Cold Steel spoilers all through it. I didn't even touch the second game in there.

I'm talking about the first paragraph where you glibly tell us
that there's another major betrayal in 3rd or Crossbell.
On its own it's not a huge thing, but it's part of an irritating refrain of this thread from people who can't control themselves and keep revealing stuff from unlocalized games. No other Trails threads on GAF have had this problem, but it keeps happening here.

omgfloofy

Banned
I'm talking about the first paragraph where you glibly tell us
that there's another major betrayal in 3rd or Crossbell.
On its own it's not a huge thing, but it's part of an irritating refrain of this thread from people who can't control themselves and keep revealing stuff from unlocalized games. No other Trails threads on GAF have had this problem, but it keeps happening here.

This series is very self-aware in its writing so going into it and expecting that isn't the issue at all because they're waiting for you to expect such things. After FC alone, you should be prepared for something like that to happen anyhow. Otherwise, the series would be way too straight forward for their nature.

And assuming anything about 3rd is just asking for trouble, but I'll happily keep playing up Falcom's mislead campaign about it, too.

This series is very self-aware in its writing so going into it and expecting that isn't the issue at all because they're waiting for you to expect such things. After FC alone, you should be prepared for something like that to happen anyhow. Otherwise, the series would be way too straight forward for their nature.

And assuming anything about 3rd is just asking for trouble, but I'll happily keep playing up Falcom's mislead campaign about it, too.

Now I know how TV show only Game of Thrones watchers feel about obnoxious long-time fans.

Nyoro SF

Trophy Stats for fun:

Ranking of characters chosen for "that" event in Chapter 6
Alisa - 5.4%
Emma - 4.1%
Laura - 4.1%
Fie - 3.7%
Millium - 2.5%
Sara - 2.0%
Crow - 1.9%
Gaius - 1.7%
Jusis - 1.6%
Elliot - 1.6%
Towa - 1.5%
Machias - 1.5%

Most of these aren't a surprise. I guess people picked Alisa as default choice. Poor Machias. Surprised Towa isn't higher. People probably thought that you would actually have to dance with the guys lol

It's actually a little sad that a decent amount of interesting dialogue is locked behind this event given what pains you have to go to "unlock" dance partners. Sara, Crow, Laura, Alisa and Elliot all have interesting things to say, others, not so much (Jusis's conversation sucks)

Generally any person who went for NG+ also went for all the related trophies required for NG+, like collect all Master Quartz and finish the notebook and do Nightmare, all around the 1% completion range. Putting max bonding freedom behind NG+ was a design mistake if only 1% of your purchase base is going to go to the trouble of finishing NG+ tasks.

Of all the people who bought the game, 90% of them turned it on and got past the prologue. 9% beat the final chapter. Can't wait for the Cold Steel 2 thread where we get 100 questions if it's OK to start with CS2 as their first game... I can see it now. "I bought FC, SC, and CS, but I haven't played them yet. Is it OK if I start with this game?"

Annoying trophies that merely pad up the trophy list like impede 100 arts, etc. hover around 15% range. The 1000 battles trophy (ridiculous) has a 2% completion.

Trophy Stats for fun:

Ranking of characters chosen for "that" event in Chapter 6
Alisa - 5.4%
Emma - 4.1%
Laura - 4.1%
Fie - 3.7%
Millium - 2.5%
Sara - 2.0%
Crow - 1.9%
Gaius - 1.7%
Jusis - 1.6%
Elliot - 1.6%
Towa - 1.5%
Machias - 1.5%

Most of these aren't a surprise. I guess people picked Alisa as default choice. Poor Machias. Surprised Towa isn't higher. People probably thought that you would actually have to dance with the guys lol

It's actually a little sad that a decent amount of interesting dialogue is locked behind this event given what pains you have to go to "unlock" dance partners. Sara, Crow, Laura, Alisa and Elliot all have interesting things to say, others, not so much (Jusis's conversation sucks)

Generally any person who went for NG+ also went for all the related trophies required for NG+, like collect all Master Quartz and finish the notebook and do Nightmare, all around the 1% completion range. Putting max bonding freedom behind NG+ was a design mistake if only 1% of your purchase base is going to go to the trouble of finishing NG+ tasks.

Of all the people who bought the game, 90% of them turned it on and got past the prologue. 9% beat the final chapter. Can't wait for the Cold Steel 2 thread where we get 100 questions if it's OK to start with CS2 as their first game... I can see it now. "I bought FC, SC, and CS, but I haven't played them yet. Is it OK if I start with this game?"

Annoying trophies that merely pad up the trophy list like impede 100 arts, etc. hover around 15% range. The 1000 battles trophy (ridiculous) has a 2% completion.

I would assume if
Towa was easier to get more people would do hers. On a first run it requires the player to see pretty much every one of her bonding events and spend multiple tickets on her during the festival. Considering you don't get any visible link points with her that effect gameplay I imagine most people don't do her bonding events or just see them and s/l for another character to improve Rean's link with them for gameplay.

Raytow

For those of y'all who wonders "hmm, what are the non-Crossbell-related connective tissues that ties the Sora no Kiseki 3rd with Trails of Cold Steel?" are in luck, since the first of the two doors that are most strongly connected to Trails of Cold Steel's story have been translated as part of this week's Translation Tuesday.

Cross-posting from the SC thread. I repeat [SC ENDING SPOILER. DO NOT WATCH IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED SC OR IF YOU DON'T CARE]:

Random personal opinion on this. I think it's better to be watched after finishing Cold Steel 1. ;)

So this
phantasmal jigammagig is what Bleublanc and Emma sister is talking about in the end? remind me why Sharon is not arrested on sight, Ouroboros are nothing but a major pain in the ass super terrorist organization at this point

Nyoro SF

I would assume if
Towa was easier to get more people would do hers. On a first run it requires the player to see pretty much every one of her bonding events and spend multiple tickets on her during the festival. Considering you don't get any visible link points with her that effect gameplay I imagine most people don't do her bonding events or just see them and s/l for another character to improve Rean's link with them for gameplay.

Man, the more I hear about this system, the more I dislike it.
Surely not even your typical dating sims are this restrictive on who you're allowed to like and work with.
I imagine some JP players were not happy about this.

Anyway, I finished my second run and did a bunch of save reloads to get the other achievements. Thank god for remembering to always make a new save. Got (Final chap)
Laura locked in as my choice with my new clear data
and my import of CS2 is coming in a couple of weeks.

is there a video of
all the character dance scenes?

it would be great if someone would make one.

There are some in Japanese. Google "Sen no Kiseki
Dance Event
".

Man, the more I hear about this system, the more I dislike it.
Surely not even your typical dating sims are this restrictive on who you're allowed to like and work with.
I imagine some JP players were not happy about this.

Anyway, I finished my second run and did a bunch of save reloads to get the other achievements. Thank god for remembering to always make a new save. Got (Final chap)
Laura locked in as my choice with my new clear data
and my import of CS2 is coming in a couple of weeks.

Does anyone know if CS2
makes use of who you danced with on import?

Top Bottom