• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

Teeeeechnically you could just restart your playthrough from that one chapter where you need a second run though?

Technically?

That only works for the
bonding events at the end of the festival.
There are circumstances where there are bonding events for 5 characters with updates to their character notes, but you only have 4 bonding points for the day. It's impossible to get all the notes in one playthrough.

Psxphile

Looks like a patch just went live:

Version 1.02
Fixed a crash bug that occurred while saving inside the train at the beginning of chapter 2.
Fixed minor text bugs.

16MB

EDIT: definitely fixed Ferris' mis-aligned text in the Character section of the Notebook

Droplet

That only works for the
bonding events at the end of the festival.
There are circumstances where there are bonding events for 5 characters with updates to their character notes, but you only have 4 bonding points for the day. It's impossible to get all the notes in one playthrough.

Oh wait yeah, I forgot about that. I think it's literally just one day but you definitely need to carry over notes. So there's one missable note and one missable quartz.

And I was wondering when they were going to fix Ferris's note. I did see the quest in chapter 6 where I was confused about the location got fixed in my second run around. I wonder if they fixed Alisa's weird text in the Stella Garten, I remember some really weird typos in there.

evilalien

Oh wait yeah, I forgot about that. I think it's literally just one day but you definitely need to carry over notes. So there's one missable note and one missable quartz.

There are two days where you don't have enough points to get all the available character notes.

Stuart444

So is there any videos showing (end spoilers)
the goodbye speech at the end for all characters?

Curious since I'd rather not go through the dance event and then complete the game with each character to see it all.

zakujanai

In chapter 2 you can talk to the black cat but it has a name. When you next see it in chapter 3 it's just called "Black Cat". Kind of annoyed about that. Even though it's obvious the cat is important, I'll be looking out for that name now.

Platinum got. Can't believe I missed that enemy in chapter 3 when it's right in the middle the first zone smh.

Now the real wait for CS2 begins

wait , in order to get ": Field Guide to Erebonian Wildlife "

I need to have every monster with no "???" in the data .

Is it really it ?

Psxphile

Is it really it ?

Yeah, the bios have to be completely filled in. You do that either by killing multiples of that monster and filling the notes piecemeal (which won't work for bosses and other one-time only enemies) or instantaneously by scanning using the item 'Battle Scope', the Art 'Analyze', or the Craft skill 'Detector' (Elliot and Emma only). There's also a quartz that will fill in the note completely when equipped on a character that strikes the final blow on an enemy, but I wouldn't rely on that too much.

Gu4n

Yeah, the bios have to be completely filled in. You do that either by killing multiples of that monster and filling the notes piecemeal (which won't work for bosses and other one-time only enemies) or instantaneously by scanning using the item 'Battle Scope', the Art 'Analyze', or the Craft skill 'Detector' (Elliot and Emma only). There's also a quartz that will fill in the note completely when equipped on a character that strikes the final blow on an enemy, but I wouldn't rely on that too much.
Combine that quartz, Dragon Vision/Sight/Eye (not sure what it was translated as, with Dominion on Rean and use AoE crafts. Works like a charm.

Psxphile

Combine that quartz, Dragon Vision/Sight/Eye (not sure what it was translated as, with Dominion on Rean and use AoE crafts. Works like a charm.

On normal mobs, sure. Not so much in boss confrontations (especially when there's multiple targets and they're often spaced out too far from each other to be combo-ed). Also you don't always have Laura with you.

And yeah, it was localized as Dragon Vision.

Erheller

Is it really it ?

If you're going for that trophy, make sure you have at least 5 (aim for 10) Battle Scopes or whatever they're called on you at all times. There are times when you don't have Emma/Elliot and you need to scan things.

people

Just about starting chapter 5. Oh man, I almost forgot how obnoxious that one person
Millium
is/sounds. Quite a bummer after the exciting events of chapter 4 =(

If you're going for that trophy, make sure you have at least 5 (aim for 10) Battle Scopes or whatever they're called on you at all times. There are times when you don't have Emma/Elliot and you need to scan things.

Well i realised i did fought everyone but didn't scan them all.

Well this mistake will be corrected in NG+ .i haven't much to scan.

Droplet

There are two days where you don't have enough points to get all the available character notes.

Oh huh, you're right. I don't know why I only remembered one.

So is there any videos showing (end spoilers)
the goodbye speech at the end for all characters?

Curious since I'd rather not go through the dance event and then complete the game with each character to see it all.

The closest I know of is this which has rough translations for all of them.

I ended up giving someone else the game before I finished it, but just wondering - I got the details on one boss (boss...trinket?) in chapter 6, but not the unbalance efficiency. Is that still okay for the book?

zakujanai

Have NISA Europe said when or if the costume dlc is coming out? I hate exploitative dlc like that but Trails is my weakness so I will gladly buy it all.

for replays. you can hold circle to max speed on ps3 and then press the ps3 button. for longer cutscenes you can now go make a sandwich and sometimes even a cup of coffee on top of that. not sure if people know about this, but it was helpful on my speedrun and i only found out on accident.

zakujanai

for replays. you can hold circle to max speed on ps3 and then press the ps3 button. for longer cutscenes you can now go make a sandwich and sometimes even a cup of coffee on top of that. not sure if people know about this, but it was helpful on my speedrun and i only found out on accident.

I've used to hold circle thing but never thought to press the PS button, that'll come in handy when I eventually replay.

Just finished chapter 3, about 40 hours. I'm talking to every npc at every point so it's taking me a while ha ha. I'm loving the game, it's like Grandia mixed with Persona.

I only have two issues which involve characters. Not really spoilers but..

Millium- Ugh, another high pitched ridiculous child character I can't take seriously.

Gyhm - (spelling? Alisa's grandfather) immediately makes a ridiculous comment at his own granddaughter that made me feel really uncomfortable. Ffs Japan...

Them aside I really like the characters including Alisa, which a lot of people here seem to have an issue with XD

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
After 10 hours...boy, I'm finding this very dull. Is this a "hold on, there's big stuff coming" kind of first 10 hours? Or is the structure of the game visiting towns and taking assignments in the same relaxed pace?

Fisico

After 10 hours...boy, I'm finding this very dull. Is this a "hold on, there's big stuff coming" kind of first 10 hours? Or is the structure of the game visiting towns and taking assignments in the same relaxed pace?

Kinda both, if you find the game "dull" for now don't expect a big turnaround but it does get slightly "better" chapter after chapter.

Just finished chapter 3, about 40 hours. I'm talking to every npc at every point so it's taking me a while ha ha. I'm loving the game, it's like Grandia mixed with Persona.

I only have two issues which involve characters. Not really spoilers but..

Millium- Ugh, another high pitched ridiculous child character I can't take seriously.

Gyhm - (spelling? Alisa's grandfather) immediately makes a ridiculous comment at his own granddaughter that made me feel really uncomfortable. Ffs Japan...

Them aside I really like the characters including Alisa, which a lot of people here seem to have an issue with XD

New theory:
Her grandfather died 3 years ago, and that's a Creepy Sheep impersonating him.

Alucrid

Banned
Does the second game also make you have to constantly put back on accessories and orbs? that was by far the most annoying thing in the game

It takes a few chapters before the story really starts getting moving. They are setting the scene for everything that comes afterwards in the first few chapters.

I didn't feel like the story started in earnest until Chapter 4, it picks up quite a bit at that point.

yami4ct

Does the second game also make you have to constantly put back on accessories and orbs? that was by far the most annoying thing in the game

Well, given the structure of the game continually reshuffling your party, I can't think of too many better solutions. Stops you from realizing 'oh shit, this character is gone and they're holding my awesome unique heal quartz'.

I guess they could let you reshuffle equipment from any party member at any time, but you still would probably keep having to go in and adjust to keep a balanced party.

Nyoro SF

Party customization being annoying is a problem in any RPG with lots of characters... sadly, there's no way around it.

That's why I liked FC a lot, because I could almost always just play the game without having to worry about doing full equipment and quartz reshuffles. Just some slight tweaks at the start of a chapter and that's it. Makes you appreciate RPGs that don't try to stuff the channels full of characters in a mass appeal bid.

Droplet

A way to save setups might have been nice, but that still brings up the problem of what happens when two people are using the same quartz. Thinking about it now I can see why they went the route they did, especially since you were replacing your entire party fairly regularly, whereas in Sky you generally retained 2-3 members of your party at a time.

The mysteries ramp up and "shit happens" every now and then, but for the most part the pace stays the same.

zakujanai

I've seen "brake" written as "break" way too many times in this game.

On a more positive note, met an npc with the same surname as me. Most boring npc ever but I'm still happy. Another npc from a quest earlier had my first name too, not bad given how boring my name actually is.

50 hours and still on chapter 3, this is shaping up to SC length.

Shahed

Mira and Sepith are an issue in this game so much more that FC/SC. In those games I always had so much spare money, so I upgraded equipment and opened slots really early but in this game I just can't do that. It's not a problem though, I just have to be more considerate about my spending.

As for the combat I feel it's taking a bit too long to get some S-Crafts. Only have Rean, Laura and Fie so far, although I kind of expect to get Jusis and Machias later this chapter. Also about Orbments, what does the grid do in this game? I notice characters like Emma and Elliot have the Arte setup like Kloe and Olivier did. But isn't it specific Quartz that lets you use certain Artes? What do the lines/grid do this time?

Droplet

Mira and Sepith are an issue in this game so much more that FC/SC. In those games I always had so much spare money, so I upgraded equipment and opened slots really early but in this game I just can't do that. It's not a problem though, I just have to be more considerate about my spending.

As for the combat I feel it's taking a bit too long to get some S-Crafts. Only have Rean, Laura and Fie so far, although I kind of expect to get Jusis and Machias later this chapter. Also about Orbments, what does the grid do in this game? I notice characters like Emma and Elliot have the Arte setup like Kloe and Olivier did. But isn't it specific Quartz that lets you use certain Artes? What do the lines/grid do this time?

Characters with long lines get greater amounts of EP with each open slot, whereas characters with shorter lines will have more stackable stats. In Sky you could only equip one of each type of quartz, but here, as long as you're not using the exact same quartz (with some exceptions), you can stack the effects. So for example, you can put Attack 1 and 2 on the same character so long as they're on different lines.

And yeah the S-crafts and slots take a while to open up, which is probably to prevent you from cheesing the hell out of battles. Won't really stop you later, but the beginning of the game is probably one of the harder parts for that reason. I think you get maybe one other S-craft this chapter, but you'll get them with higher frequency as you get later on.

Shahed

Characters with long lines get greater amounts of EP with each open slot, whereas characters with shorter lines will have more stackable stats. In Sky you could only equip one of each type of quartz, but here, as long as you're not using the exact same quartz (with some exceptions), you can stack the effects. So for example, you can put Attack 1 and 2 on the same character so long as they're on different lines.

And yeah the S-crafts and slots take a while to open up, which is probably to prevent you from cheesing the hell out of battles. Won't really stop you later, but the beginning of the game is probably one of the harder parts for that reason. I think you get maybe one other S-craft this chapter, but you'll get them with higher frequency as you get later on.

Ah I noticed I could equip Attack 1 and 2 on Laura/Rean but I wasn't sure why. That makes sense. Haven't delved into Artes too much bar the Zero turns since I haven't unlocked many slots but I'll keep that in kind for Emma/Elliot.

The cheesing with the S Crafts works as well since unless I'm mistaken they seem a lot more powerful in this game compared to FC/SC and it's also so kuch easier to maintain high CP to use them more often. So many crafts give CP, along with back attacks and Force.

Droplet

The cheesing with the S Crafts works as well since unless I'm mistaken they seem a lot more powerful in this game compared to FC/SC and it's also so kuch easier to maintain high CP to use them more often. So many crafts give CP, along with back attacks and Force.

Depends on the character and the type of battle. Your current S-crafts don't cover a very large area, so they're kind of ineffective when you have multiple boss enemies (although yes, you do get CP like candy). Crafts also depend on your strength stat (iirc?) meaning your casters probably aren't going to be dealing substantial damage with theirs.

panzone

Yeah, well, they meant to add it but it was cut for budget/time constraints.

The entire voiced thing was a Drama CD in the end:

http://eiyuutrans.blogspot.my/2014/04/sen-no-kiseki-drama-cd.html

Translation script for the Drama CD that comes with the limited edition of Sen no Kiseki:
The Drama CD takes place between Chapter 6 and the Epilogue of the game

I just finished Chapter 6 and I read this... uh, a lot happens. Like, a lot. I mean

Learning the existence of Ouroboros and Blueblanc being an Enforcer, the monster's attack with Elise we saw in the flashbacks, Rean's promotion... it's almost an entire chapter

Like seriously, it answers a lot of questions. And I thought it was only something trivial removed from the main game.

Psxphile

110 hours. Currently in Final Chapter, taking on what looks to be the game's final dungeon. Curious about one thing:
do you get a Link bonus for completing the dungeon? It's technically another part of the old schoolhouse, and each time you complete a floor participating members get bonus points for their links (100 points, basically).
Just curious, since I've got a few members just shy of reaching Level 5 link status w/ Rean. I suppose I could just grind for the rest, though at 3 points per battle for linked characters I'd probably be better off getting them to Level 5 on a second playthrough for the trophies.

I just finished Chapter 6 and I read this... uh, a lot happens. Like, a lot. I mean

Learning the existence of Ouroboros and Blueblanc being an Enforcer, the monster's attack with Elise we saw in the flashbacks, Rean's promotion... it's almost an entire chapter

Like seriously, it answers a lot of questions. And I thought it was only something trivial removed from the main game.
Agreed, this was essentially a fully-featured chapter (sans side-quests to pad out the middle). I suppose if they ever decide to remake the game Evolution-style they could totally add it in as a bonus mini-chapter, since it'd totally hit their "let's-perv-it-up!" quota.

112 hours later... I'm now ready for Cold Steel 2

Awesome game, really enjoyed the cast. Had a shakey start with some of them (especially Machias) but eventually they all grew on me.

Agreed, this was essentially a fully-featured chapter (sans side-quests to pad out the middle). I suppose if they ever decide to remake the game Evolution-style they could totally add it in as a bonus mini-chapter, since it'd totally hit their "let's-perv-it-up!" quota.

The most important thing to me is that rean went from
beginner rank to intermediary rank in the 8 leaves school

i certainly would NOT have noticed such a change ( even more annoying that this was skipped considering the various dialog about it in chapter 1 & 5 ).

Top Bottom