• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

Famassu

[SC Chapter 8 - Final Chapter spoilers]

Olivier implies to Zechs that Osborne might be working with Ouroboros. Remember that Zechs was given orders to invade Liberl with convenient steam-powered tanks that were conveniently positioned near the Liberl border. Steam-powered tanks are pretty much useless, except in the somewhat unlikely event that orbments stop working. So Osborne must have had some way of knowing that in the near future orbments in Liberl were going to stop working.

How did he know that? Ouroboros is the seemingly obvious answer, but we'll have to wait until CS2 to see if we get any confirmation.
Ah, yes, there were those kinds of implications as well.
Still, I'd say that's just him using Ouroboros to achieve goals that he would have had with or without them. He's not out to enslave or destroy the whole world, he just wants as much of it under Erebonia's rule as possible. So a bit of a megalomaniac, but not insane like Weissman. If people don't go too crazy in opposing his annexation craze, they can live pretty happy, free & normal lives after the annexation is complete. Not that annexation is über fantastic, but it's not "destroy the planet" or "enslave all the blacks & jews" levels of evil either.

About Osborne *end of cs1 mega spoilers*
the fact the dude was shot in the god damn chest and Oroboros/terrorist/noble factions made their move with a fleet of mechs and I still think he'll end up being the main antagonist of CSII says a lot

adz2ka

So I'm still in Chapter 2 and loving it so far. The only issue is I think the game fails to set a 'tone'.

Quick general question not game related: Currently playing on PSTV using a physical copy. When I want to move over to my PSVita, what process do I need to do? Do I need to manually go to Content Manager and upload my latest save to Online Storage, then download it through Content Manager on my Vita?

Is there not an easier way??

So I'm still in Chapter 2 and loving it so far. The only issue is I think the game fails to set a 'tone'.

Quick general question not game related: Currently playing on PSTV using a physical copy. When I want to move over to my PSVita, what process do I need to do? Do I need to manually go to Content Manager and upload my latest save to Online Storage, then download it through Content Manager on my Vita?

are you moving the memory card you are using on your pstv to your vita? If so then you have to do noting beside move the physical game and memory card which is a given :lol

I would have thought PSPlus covers that with online storage. Guess it's not as seamless as it should be
You don't have to go to content manager, the plus icon on a games' live area let's you upload/download it. But you have to do it manually as it only syncs the saves automatically once a day or so

cheesekao

Press the 'plus' button on the game splash screen to upload your data to the cloud from your PSTV. Press the 'plus' button on the game splash screen on your Vita to download the your save file.

Shahed

Just started this today and I'm enjoying it so far. Not a fan of the way it's presented on Vita though. A lot of things seem so small and hard to read at times. Never had a problem with Trails in the Sky FC or SC, but it noticed it straightaway here. Kind of wish I still had a PS3 just for these two games. Hope the 3rd game is on PS4

Anyone else have an issue with some things (mainly some text elements) being too small on Vita? For those who have a PS3 is it fine?

Just started this today and I'm enjoying it so far. Not a fan of the way it's presented on Vita though. A lot of things seem so small and hard to read at times. Never had a problem with Trails in the Sky FC or SC, but it noticed it straightaway here. Kind of wish I still had a PS3 just for these two games. Hope the 3rd game is on PS4

Anyone else have an issue with some things (mainly some text elements) being too small on Vita? For those who have a PS3 is it fine?
Yeah that was a complaint from many people, its just the PS3 UI downscaled. It looks fine on PSTV for example.

But I got used to the small text even on Vita

Shahed

Have they announced how your save carries forward? As in could I play this entirely on Vita, and then carry my save forward to the PS3 version and play there, and then once again with the PS4 version as long as I upload to the Cross Save section?

Yeah that was a complaint from many people, its just the PS3 UI downscaled. It looks fine on PSTV for example.

But I got used to the small text even on Vita

I figured that's what they might have done instead of fixing it for the Vita. It's not really an issue because so far anyway the stuff I can't read has been inconsequential. Like the UI elements in the field on the right side such as the date/day, as well as as each characters HP/EP/CP values. I don't particularly need to read all of that. It's just a bit annoying as every now and then my eyes will notice and strain to read the day in question.

I'll get used to it shortly but they could have done a better job in scaling for the Vita screen.

adz2ka

You don't have to go to content manager, the plus icon on a games' live area let's you upload/download it. But you have to do it manually as it only syncs the saves automatically once a day or so

Press the 'plus' button on the game splash screen to upload your data to the cloud from your PSTV. Press the 'plus' button on the game splash screen on your Vita to download the your save file.

Perfect, thanks. You learn new things every day.

Stuart444

So I have completed Trails of Cold Steel.

Here is a quick non-spoiler tl;dr for how I feel about the game:

It's awesome, love the characters and the story. The music is great and I am not putting my PS3 away until I have played Trails of Cold Steel 2 at least. It's so good.

Easily a 10/10 game for me. And is probably now firmly on my top 5 JRPG list. (not sure where I'd place it but it's defo in my top 5 now.)

Final playtime for my first playthrough was about 90 hours and 38 minutes. Roughly anyway.

Fun fact: I only intended to put it on and check it out quickly when I first got it. I ended up continuing and playing it every single day until I beat it. It was worth it.

Spoiler filled Thoughts:

WOW, that ending and that cliffhanger.
I could not help but call the Soldats Mobile Suits and the Azure Knight/Ashen Knight, Gundams >.>

The wait for Trails of Cold Steel II is going to be painful.

The OST is AMAZING. I can't think of a piece of music I don't like in it. The OP/END especially.

I loved all the characters, it was nice getting to know their back stories and why they are the way they are over the course of the game.
Though that Machia's one felt like one of the darker ones with the suicide and everything :(. Also I loved Gaius' family. They were all nice and I was rooting for Sharl XD.

Prince Olivert (who from what I've read has appeared in most all Trails game since Trails in the Sky?) was great. He had some good lines. Also
His sister was funny, teasing Elise all the time. I enjoyed their interactions.

I am sad we never
got to go to Ymir though :(

I also loved most of the NPCs in the game, some of the students were great as well.
I loved whenever I saw Becky due to her Scottish accent. It worked so well.

Also Linde & Vivi were great, the pranks and then Linde being the calm one and Vivi being the worried one near the end was a nice touch.
Moving onto the major stuff in the last Chapter...

Sharon kicked ass, Didn't know that Sara and Sharon had met before though I suspected but I didn't suspect that they met in battle before.

It was also great to see the instructors (apart from Mary) actually fighting. Thomas was a surprise especially XD. Makarov's voice worked very well during the scene too.

I did not suspect that Crow was C though as things were being explained, it made sense and I felt like I should have suspected him sooner myself.

We still don't know too much about Emma and Celine though but I suspect we'll find out more in the next game. I also suspect that Jusis & Angelica being part of the four great houses may have their loyalties tested in the next game due to their families being part of the noble faction.

That scene with Misty/etc was something as well. Didn't think she'd turn out to be important.

I really want to read this but I'm only on chapter 2 so I'll have to come back at a later date. As far as what he did in SC goes, wasn't it whatever Olivier went back to fix? He wanted to invade Liberl for the Empire's safety or something. Not necessarily evil I guess, just imperialistic. I don't want the reformists to be bad because fuck that class system. Calvard seems like the nation I'd want to live in.

Not necessarily after what Zane's said about it.

Thanks for refreshing my rather poor memory. Can't wait to get further in to see if these two clash again. I think the real Chancellor Osborne would be in the nobles camp so maybe it isn't too reflective of whatever this one is up too :)

Ah, yes, there were those kinds of implications as well.
Still, I'd say that's just him using Ouroboros to achieve goals that he would have had with or without them. He's not out to enslave or destroy the whole world, he just wants as much of it under Erebonia's rule as possible. So a bit of a megalomaniac, but not insane like Weissman. If people don't go too crazy in opposing his annexation craze, they can live pretty happy, free & normal lives after the annexation is complete. Not that annexation is über fantastic, but it's not "destroy the planet" or "enslave all the blacks & jews" levels of evil either.

That's a bingo.

He wasn't NOT a magnificent bastard, he just got out-bastarded.

Nyoro SF

Interesting, what did he say?? I always got the impression it's a pretty progressive, democratic place to live.

Pitfalls of democracy can be similar to imperial and monarchy nations.
Zane said that the leaders are more concerned with protecting their own positions and bickering with one another rather than solving anything or something like that.

Elise is flaming hot garbage. Which is exactly where her character should've ended up; in the garbage. On fire.

God she was insufferable.

Nyoro SF

Elise is flaming hot garbage. Which is exactly where her character should've ended up; in the garbage. On fire.

Elise didn't need to be in the game period. Thrown in to appeal to that crowd, especially judging by the drama CD. Not as bad as
shrieking loli shoe-in Millium
but close. Could've done something more with a different Class VII member or someone else instead (god knows you have enough main characters and secondary characters to work with, Falcom).

aravuus

I sort of hope she dies, but then her death would become Rean's driving force, which means she'd get more screen time or at least she'd be the subject of more conversations, i.e. she'd become a bigger part of the game

So actually I don't hope she dies. I hope she just kind of... Silently fucks off, never to be seen again.

kiriin

Falcom had a huge age demographic switch when they move from PC to Consoles, ie the original release of this game.

Also Elise isn't going to disappear in the near future ;P

Am I the only person who didn't really mind Elise? All this hatred for her seems a bit much.

Didn't mind her at all.
Also she provides decent background to Rean's character.

character spoilers
I can understand people not liking the romantic undertones, but I guess I'm desensitized to that

I liked her. Hope to see her in CSII as well.

Though my favourite scenes with her are usually
the ones between her and Alfin. The teasing is funny haha.

Yep, she's great as well.

kpjolee

Is it worth grinding any of the MQs to level 5 before starting a new game? Just feels like it takes too long to grind them. :(

It might be worth it for Nightmare difficulty but I would rather just start new game+ and you will eventually reach them on 2nd playthrough. Grinding last dungeon over and over is too boring lol.

zakujanai

Pitfalls of democracy can be similar to imperial and monarchy nations.
Zane said that the leaders are more concerned with protecting their own positions and bickering with one another rather than solving anything or something like that.

This sounds familiar actually. Fingers crossed that when they make it to the Calvard arc xseed are still bringing them to the west so we can find out more.

Am I the only person who didn't really mind Elise? All this hatred for her seems a bit much.

Keep seeing Elise come up here thought people were misspelling Alisa but I'm guessing it's just someone I haven't met yet. When does she first appear?

Stuart444

It might be worth it for Nightmare difficulty but I would rather just start new game+ and you will eventually reach them on 2nd playthrough. Grinding last dungeon over and over is too boring lol.

Haha. Well Nightmare is going to be my 3rd playthrough. So we'll see.

I also missed some MQs like Vermillion (I think it's called) and some others so I'll hopefully get them as well during my next playthrough.

And I won't need to do all the optional/hidden quests (
since I'll have the other MQ from the head)
in my 3rd playthrough either so should be a lot quicker regardless :).

Also that circle function is even better than I thought. holding it makes cutscenes animate quicker as well <3

Alisa wasn't terrible it was just she was you stereotypical "bad anime" trope; she hates the MC because reasons(even though she knew from the start it was an accident) then makes up with him starts to fall for him. What makes it worse is that games forces her upon you as she gets more screen time then any other girl and more one-on-one time with Rean.

That being said I choose Laura
at the festival
and Emma a close 2nd but mostly in hopes to get more of her origin story which doesn't really work...

Stuart444

Alisa wasn't terrible it was just she was you stereotypical "bad anime" trope; she hates the MC because reasons(even though she knew from the start it was an accident) then makes up with him starts to fall for him. What makes it worse is that games forces her upon you as she gets more screen time then any other girl and more one-on-one time with Rean.

Wrong person >.> and fixed for you.

And to be fair, at least she apologizes. Most anime girls don't and it's usually the guy who is made to look bad with no one blaming the girl.

So at least it's a bit different here than in many anime.

wrowa

If you transfer your levels into NG+, nightmare difficulty is a joke anyway, so even then I don't see a good reason why you'd want to grind your MQs.

kpjolee

Haha. Well Nightmare is going to be my 3rd playthrough. So we'll see.

I also missed some MQs like Vermillion (I think it's called) and some others so I'll hopefully get them as well during my next playthrough.

And I won't need to do all the optional/hidden quests (
since I'll have the other MQ from the head)
in my 3rd playthrough either so should be a lot quicker regardless :).

Also that circle function is even better than I thought. holding it makes cutscenes animate quicker as well <3

2nd playthrough also
allows for unlimited bonding points :D. ability to see all the events for every character is worth it.

Stuart444

If you transfer your levels into NG+, nightmare difficulty is a joke anyway, so even then I don't see a good reason why you'd want to grind your MQs.

I don't know, some bosses are tough on normal at level 60 but of course I stuck to the default MQs so maybe that's why.

I am so going to abuse EP restoring items + Chrono Burst + CP/STR related food though for my Nightmare playthrough. I wish I knew about it earlier haha.

2nd playthrough also
allows for unlimited bonding points :D. ability to see all the events for every character is worth it.

By the time I get the Platinum, I will have seen all bonding events anyway XD. I was sad that we couldn't in one playthrough but hey, replayability! :D

wrowa

My biggest problem with Elise (not Alisa) is
her love relationship to her brother (even though he doesn't seem to love her back in that way). Trails in the Sky already perfectly nailed the "love relationship between (adopted) siblings" trope and it's just annoying to see it brought up again, since it won't be able to be even remotely as good as Sky's anyway).

Wrong person >.> and fixed for you.

And to be fair, at least she apologizes. Most anime girls don't and it's usually the guy who is made to look bad with no one blaming the girl.

So at least it's a bit different here than in many anime.

She also apologizes at the beginning of the very first chapter. Her being angry at Rean is such a tiny part of her character that I don't even think it's worth bringing up.

She also apologizes at the beginning of the very first chapter. Her being angry at Rean is such a tiny part of her character that I don't even think it's worth bringing up.

It's a poor way to introduce her character, but yeah, it's a tiny part of the interactions with her in this long game.

Nope. Sorry. Elise is trash. Belongs in a gutter.

Anyways, something I didn't notice because I didn't play past the festival with any other choice was that {Final Chapter Spoilers}
if you chose Sara to dance with at the festival, when she runs out Rean yells out at her in concern and Sara says she'll keep her promise to drink with him.
Thought that was a nice touch.

Elise is still awful tho. Just terrible.

aravuus

That being said I choose Laura
at the festival
and Emma a close 2nd but mostly in hopes to get more of her origin story which doesn't really work...

Oh jesus christ I thought you were talking about Elise lmao, I was wondering just how much screen time she was going to get later on if she'd get more than any other girl

Phew

zakujanai

Ch4, I think

Thanks. I really need to get playing, still on chapter 2 having just done the awesome hidden sidequest featuring
Anton and Ricky.
Those two steak the show every time.

Really hope I don't fall into the disliking Elise camp because so far I'm really surprised by how much I'm liking the cast. Sara is awesome, need to see her and
Olivert
go drinking together though.

Nyoro SF

Falcom had a huge age demographic switch when they move from PC to Consoles, ie the original release of this game.

Also Elise isn't going to disappear in the near future ;P

Man I'd like to know what demographic likes stuff like this...

I know Elise isn't going to disappear because (Chapter 4 and Final Chapter spoilers)
she opens the door with her presence and and hears the voice in the schoolhouse in that hamfisted sequence, meaning that she is an awakener like Rean is. So she's going to get her own Knight. It sounds stupid but probable.

It's a poor way to introduce her character, but yeah, it's a tiny part of the interactions with her in this long game.

Alisa gets waaaaaaaaaaaay better late Ch. 1. Actual personality. Actual thought processes, flaws, desires, dreams, skills, etc.

Man I'd like to know what demographic likes stuff like this...

I know Elise isn't going to disappear because (Chapter 4 and Final Chapter spoilers)
she opens the door with her presence and and hears the voice in the schoolhouse in that hamfisted sequence, meaning that she is an awakener like Rean is. So she's going to get her own Knight. It sounds stupid but probable.

You played Ys: Oath in Felghana before?

Top Bottom