• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

varkuriru

Ahh okay that makes sense! Thanks man.

Tried this it definitely didn't work... Strange never had this problem before.

Oh ok - then its probably the lock out period. Hope the issue gets resolved soon - I feel for ya cause that error happened to me at one of the psn sales and it annoyed me to no end :(

Diablos54

Oh ok - then its probably the lock out period. Hope the issue gets resolved soon - I feel for ya cause that error happened to me at one of the psn sales and it annoyed me to no end :(
Yea not ideal, but I've waited a month for this game I'm sure I can last another day or so, it'll make a nice birthday present to myself haha.

Still chapter 6

Still cant defeat C. DAMN! If only Laura, Jusis and emma are with me :(

EDIT: Finally beat that fucker! had to spam zeram powder to kill some enemies. winning like I did feels so unsatisfying :(

A late tip for Chapter 6 final boss...

Bring Angelica to the battle. Angelica has a move that has 90% chance to faint and launches C to the other side.

EDIT: nvm people already suggested it

Anyone else have the menu's become laggy on the Vita? It happens mainly when pressing L/R to switch character in order to check gear and quartz. It lags and doesn't switch at first and then suddenly does several at once if I pressed a few times.

This only happens for me only for the Equipment, when the character is not in the field. Because it has to load the character model.

Super late on this, but I just got my copy today and started playing. Seems almost aggressively standard so far, but I'll go with it.

Somone spoil me and tell me whether or not there's romance in this. I wanna save myself the dread and the groaning should people start hooking up. Not that it's a dealbreaker or anything, or I'd be asking long before I bought the game, but I just really hate love stories in JRPGs.

Diablos54

w29vpqt.jpg

FINALLY!!!

Finished the game earlier today. Went in a direction I wasn't expecting AT ALL but it was a pleasant and exciting surprise nonetheless.

It's on par with FC for me personally, although Estelle is more interesting than Rean.

manfestival

I would totally have bought this if they offered it on ps4. I dont have a vita and I gave my ps3 to my nephew a few years ago. RIP me

Diablos54

Starting in media res, interesting! Like the music a lot so far so happy to finally be playing this haha.

It's a shame I have to go work and then out later for my birthday, part of me just wants to spend my birthday smoking and smashing this out lol.

Pfiou , i was in chapter 5 in my NG+ run when i realised i missed a monster in chapter 4 ...

This is really tricky , you want to speed-run this , but you still have to pay attention to the small details in order to not mess your run.

Anyway , chapter 6 now ..almost there hopefully...

Seems like , if you retain your stats in a NG+ run , you don't have to the "steps" events again with laura event in chapter 4 if you've done it before...

Super late on this, but I just got my copy today and started playing. Seems almost aggressively standard so far, but I'll go with it.

Somone spoil me and tell me whether or not there's romance in this. I wanna save myself the dread and the groaning should people start hooking up. Not that it's a dealbreaker or anything, or I'd be asking long before I bought the game, but I just really hate love stories in JRPGs.
there's very little "romance". There's lots of becoming better friends and closer with people even if one of them you can become closer with if you want but to call it romance is extreme.

Alucrid

Banned
is there a way to not have you vita auto sleep? only saw that i could set it for a max of 30 minutes before it goes to sleep. other than rubber banding the sticks to move

zakujanai

Only just noticed that the costume dlc has been stealth released. £1.69 per costume is pretty fucking criminal. £3.99 for each pack of 3 is fractionally better until you realise that Rean and Alisa aren't included in any of those (but 2 characters you don't even have for most of the game and are a tiny but spoilery are in one of them).

I'm pretty obsessed with Trails and really enjoying this game but even I won't buy any of that.

Moreover, I'm pretty sure it would break the cross save function anyway (unless you get the Vita dlc free when you buy the PS3 stuff and vice versa?).

Famassu

there's very little "romance". There's lots of becoming better friends and closer with people even if one of them you can become closer with if you want but to call it romance is extreme.
Some of that "getting closer" stuff is clearly leading to a romance in Cold Steel II, though.

That said, not really sure what people have against relationships in games. Badly written ones suck, sure, but Trails in the Sky's romance is probably one of the best ones in gaming (despite the clichéd start) and even though so far Cold Steel's romantic side has been handled worse & is a bit more typical anime fare, it's not complete trash once they have added some depth to the characters & the relationships between them, and I could see Cold Steel II doing a lot better now that the initial setup & Cold Steel I's heavier reliance on tropes is over. I mean, love & relationships are a big part of life and I find it far worse when so many RPGs (Japanese, especially) tip-toe around romance but never goes all the way through with it because of whatever stupid reasons. When you have a group of attractive, single strangers of the same age who suddenly have to spend a lot of time together & get to really know each other during that time, it's pretty probable that romantic feelings will develop between at least a couple of people/pairs (even if they don't end up being together forever), if they are even remotely like-minded people.

Starting in media res, interesting! Like the music a lot so far so happy to finally be playing this haha.

It's a shame I have to go work and then out later for my birthday, part of me just wants to spend my birthday smoking and smashing this out lol.

The music is soooo good.

There are a few intimate cutscenes, but nothing I'd call straight up romance. The game has a heavier theme of friendship than it does romance.

Some of that "getting closer" stuff is clearly leading to a romance in Cold Steel II, though.

That said, not really sure what people have against relationships in games. Badly written ones suck, sure, but Trails in the Sky's romance is probably one of the best ones in gaming (despite the clichéd start) and even though so far Cold Steel's romantic side has been handled worse & is a bit more typical anime fare, it's not complete trash once they have added some depth to the characters & the relationships between them, and I could see Cold Steel II doing a lot better now that the initial setup & Cold Steel I's heavier reliance on tropes is over. I mean, love & relationships are a big part of life and I find it far worse when so many RPGs (Japanese, especially) tip-toe around romance but never goes all the way through with it because of whatever stupid reasons. When you have a group of attractive, single strangers of the same age who suddenly have to spend a lot of time together & get to really know each other during that time, it's pretty probable that romantic feelings will develop between at least a couple of people/pairs (even if they don't end up being together forever), if they are even remotely like-minded people.

There we go.

Inept and almost asexual interaction (it's easier to harem scarem like this, too) or real doll banging (biowaaaaaaaaaaaaaaare) go a long way towards running people off this concept, I don't doubt.

The music is soooo good.

There are a few intimate cutscenes, but nothing I'd call straight up romance. The game has a heavier theme of friendship than it does romance.

Soooooooooooo good.

One of the best songs in the game that you hear 5 minutes into the game. So good!

Some of the scenes with Alisa or Laura are not exactly subtle with their romantic implications.

But like you said, I view those more as implications, not scenes of straight up romance. I guess my perspective for what I view as a romantic scene is different.

Final chapter spoilers

The bonfire scene with Laura or Alisa is probably the closest I'd say the game gets to actually being romantic. And probably the scene right before Rean flies away assuming you did Alisa/Laura for the bonfire.

Edit:
it is clear by the end the game is definitely heading towards a more romantic direction with Rean and Alisa or Laura (depending on who you choose) and I wouldnt be surprised if CS2 turns into a straight up boyfriend/girlfriend thing.

Cqef

One of the best songs in the game that you hear 5 minutes into the game. So good!

Eh? Hell no, you get to listen to it for way longer than that.
I mean during
chapter 5 and the IFL attack of Garrelia Fortress it plays nonstop, it doesn't even interrupt for battles, not to mention that you already went through it during the intro of the game!
So that's at least 15 minutes. And you get to hear it again twice during
the endgame, first during a cutscene,
and lastly as part as Risking Everything, Here We Stand
when you fight against your first Soldat Unit,
and these make for at least 10 additional minutes.

Famassu

There we go.

Inept and almost asexual interaction (it's easier to harem scarem like this, too) or real doll banging (biowaaaaaaaaaaaaaaare) go a long way towards running people off this concept, I don't doubt.
I get that. If I hear harem in regards to some game (or anime), then that's pretty much automatically an insta turn-off and interest towards a game drops (close) to zero unless it's something exceptionally well done otherwise, which tends not to be the case with the kind of devs who go with the harem shtick. Male characters being totally oblivious to how to interact with women is a pet-peeve of mine even if there's no harem involved, but not something that drives me away from buying a game if the rest is at least half-decent. But if I just hear "romance", I'd at least want to hear if it's handled well & how big of a part it is of the game before deciding against buying/playing a game instead of the mention of romance being something so horrible that it alone (almost) drives me away from a particular game.

jschreier

I was bummed that I've barely had time to play this and am only on chapter two, but now that I hear the cliffhanger is brutal -- is it as bad as FC's? -- I'm more OK with taking my time.

aravuus

I was bummed that I've barely had time to play this and am only on chapter two, but now that I hear the cliffhanger is brutal -- is it as bad as FC's? -- I'm more OK with taking my time.

Heh, my thoughts exactly. At first other stuff kept coming in the way even though I wanted to play all the time, but now I'm restricting my CS time to a couple of hours a week on purpose. Aiming to stretch the playthrough out as much as possible.

Only just noticed that the costume dlc has been stealth released. £1.69 per costume is pretty fucking criminal. £3.99 for each pack of 3 is fractionally better until you realise that Rean and Alisa aren't included in any of those (but 2 characters you don't even have for most of the game and are a tiny but spoilery are in one of them).

I'm pretty obsessed with Trails and really enjoying this game but even I won't buy any of that.

Moreover, I'm pretty sure it would break the cross save function anyway (unless you get the Vita dlc free when you buy the PS3 stuff and vice versa?).

The DLCs are cross buy so yes, you should be able to download both just buy buying one.

And there's a pack with all clothes included, I'm pretty sure?

zakujanai

The DLCs are cross buy so yes, you should be able to download both just buy buying one.

And there's a pack with all clothes included, I'm pretty sure?

Really? Maybe they haven't finished putting them up. They're were 3 packs of 3 outfits when I last looked. If they're cross buy them I may eventually bite I guess but it's still too expensive, I'm just a sucker for Trails. I've not really got any intention of playing my Vita copy, just wanted it for completeness.

desmax

So, I just got in Chapter 6, and I have a question for those who played Zero no Kiseki

Do we see G at the trade conference?

So, I just got in Chapter 6, and I have a question for those who played Zero no Kiseki

Do we see G at the trade conference?

From what I read from the summaries and watched gameplay footages from Ao No Kiseki implies that
G and the rest of the ILF were gunned down by the Red Constellation. You don't see G's face because he wore the grunt attire the whole time.

Really? Maybe they haven't finished putting them up. They're were 3 packs of 3 outfits when I last looked. If they're cross buy them I may eventually bite I guess but it's still too expensive, I'm just a sucker for Trails. I've not really got any intention of playing my Vita copy, just wanted it for completeness.

I just checked and there's indeed a "Trails of Cold Steel — All Casual Clothes" so ya, maybe the EU version is simply not there yet. It's not that much cheaper, though: $17 with the three-characters packs selling at $5 each.

In any case, I also think those are too expensive, but some of those clothes look really good and I imagine I'd get really tired of their default red uniform quickly. So I'm torn. I haven't actually played the game yet, though, so I don't know how important I'd feel about this.

Famassu

I just checked and there's indeed a "Trails of Cold Steel — All Casual Clothes" so ya, maybe the EU version is simply not there yet. It's not that much cheaper, though: $17 with the three-characters packs selling at $5 each.

In any case, I also think those are too expensive, but some of those clothes look really good and I imagine I'd get really tired of their default red uniform quickly. So I'm torn. I haven't actually played the game yet, though, so I don't know how important I'd feel about this.
Do it. :p I plan to buy them even though I have a US Vita copy and will never ever use them since I can't be bothered to change my European Vita's region, just so to show some love to XSeed and make it 17$ more likely to get more Trails in the future.

Shahed

Yeah had a look at the outfits and I'm not a fan. I might have bought some stuff since I'm not a fan of the whole school girl outfit look. Especially on Fie/Alisa since I'll control them quite for back attacks. But these costumes don't look very good either so I'll leave them be.

varkuriru

I'll probably jump in when we get a release date for CS2. I cannot survive another cliffhanger and then waiting like it happened with FC (about 4 years of waiting for SC for me). I want to time this one as close as possible to the sequel.

zakujanai

Yeah I think it'll be at least £15 if they ever add it on UK store, not really much more tempting. It would nice to have some variety but I'm actually used to the uniforms now. The only outfit I really need to change would be Millium's, all kinds of wrong there.

Do it. :p I plan to buy them even though I have a US Vita copy and will never ever use them since I can't be bothered to change my European Vita's region, just so to show some love to XSeed and make it 17$ more likely to get more Trails in the future.

I bought the limited PS3 version and a Vita copy I don't need, I've shown xseed (or I guess NISA in the case of the EU version) plenty of love. I absolutely never buy exploitative dlc like this but was tempted to in this case just because I do want to help them to be profitable. I would like to at least be able to pretend I'm getting my money's worth however and I really don't with these prices.

Also, I've yet to see a single shining pom, can you only find them using the dlc you have to pay for?

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Is new info out on how well this and SC have been doing?
Just wanted to check how likely it will be that The Third and Zero/AO are making it over.

Psxphile

Also, I've yet to see a single shining pom, can you only find them using the dlc you have to pay for?

Essentially, yeah... though you get 3 shining pom baits for free from the initial patch that was released at launch. You need to open the Shining Pom Bait DLC under "DLC" in the menu, and you'll be gifted the set. Then you just use the bait when on a map w/ enemies and the Shining Pom will appear somewhere nearby (sometimes on the next map) for you to engage.

Shining poms give enough experience to guarantee a level up for everyone in your party, so it's best to use the baits when enemies no longer give adequate experience for your level, like in the late-60s.

stryke

Opening was weird. Like it was as if they wanted to dump you into battle straight away as a tutorial but they forgot to add the tutorial part.

Quonny

About five hours in. Like the cast a lot and the fast travel load times are incredibly short, which is awesome.

The only questionable choice with the battle system is the fact that you can't move and attack in one turn. If an enemy's backside is in movement range, why can't I move to it and attack on the same turn? Seems really, really stupid in a game that is about positioning.

Am I just missing something?

About five hours in. Like the cast a lot and the fast travel load times are incredibly short, which is awesome.

The only questionable choice with the battle system is the fact that you can't move and attack in one turn. If an enemy's backside is in movement range, why can't I move to it and attack on the same turn? Seems really, really stupid in a game that is about positioning.

Am I just missing something?

Just pick attack, if you can attack , the character will move in the position and attack.
If you can't attack even if you should have enough distance to , then something is probably preventing your character to get there.

MOve is used to skip a turn and/or move your character outside an AOE attack you can't cancel first ..for All other uses, pick attack instead.

Quonny

Just pick attack, if you can attack , the character will move in the position and attack.
If you can't attack even if you should have enough distance to , then something is probably preventing your character to get there.

MOve is used to skip a turn and/or move your character outside an AOE attack you can't cancel first ..for All other uses, pick attack instead.
No, I understand that, but the character just runs in a straight line and attacks. In games like Neptunia, you can move then attack, positioning yourself before the attack. There is no option in this.

lol it's pretty fucking brutal man. IMO it's worse than FC in some ways.

I wish I had a video of my face when the credits rolled.

max_505

lol it's pretty fucking brutal man. IMO it's worse than FC in some ways.

I wish I had a video of my face when the credits rolled.

LOL I wish I had a video of my face during the whole final chapter. It's like the game pulled its punches at the start only to explode at full force near the end. What a ride.

Famassu

There are a few other occasions where spending one turn to position (a) character(s) behind or on the side of an enemy is beneficial. I.e. when you have enemies with a lot of health who aren't moving all that much but are too far from each other for most AOE craft to hit them all, so moving someone like Rean and Gaius with craft that attack in a straight line into a position where they can hit 2-3 large enemies (& maybe some smaller ones) with tons of HP at once can be a pretty efficient, especially if they simultaneously move into positions where they avoid enemies' similar attacks.

zakujanai

Essentially, yeah... though you get 3 shining pom baits for free from the initial patch that was released at launch. You need to open the Shining Pom Bait DLC under "DLC" in the menu, and you'll be gifted the set. Then you just use the bait when on a map w/ enemies and the Shining Pom will appear somewhere nearby (sometimes on the next map) for you to engage.

Shining poms give enough experience to guarantee a level up for everyone in your party, so it's best to use the baits when enemies no longer give adequate experience for your level, like in the late-60s.

I did get the free pack and have been saving it for later levels (this is what made my cross save fail to work until I also purchased and downloaded the Vita equivalent pack). The fact these iconic Trails enemies are removed and made into a pay to win device makes me a bit sad though, so I don't even know if I'll use it.

Top Bottom