• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

I'm at final chapter and as stupid as this sounds, I am not finishing the game until a few weeks before CS2 comes out because I don't want to experience the cliff hanger.

I'm at final chapter and as stupid as this sounds, I am not finishing the game until a few weeks before CS2 comes out because I don't want to experience the cliff hanger.

And not experience the thrill of NIghtlmare difficulty ? ok ...
The game sequel will be out in 2016 , you know

Shahed

Yeah I'm going to finish my first playthrough now, and maybe leave Nightmare until just before Cold Steel II hits.

As ror the shining pom bait. Do they transfer to NG+ or should I use them before I finish the game?

Diablos54

Finished the prologue, now just running around the academy talking to everyone. This is a Kiseki game alright!

Edit: And now I'm reading books and catching fish, feels good to be back! Wait why can't I read the book I got?! Ohh, notebook, stupid me.

lol , i was abusing the battle system in order to get "can't touch this " and then i realised that your individual battle bonus can't go higher than 9

Too bad i kinda wanted to abuse the Xp multiplicator...

LOL I wish I had a video of my face during the whole final chapter. It's like the game pulled its punches at the start only to explode at full force near the end. What a ride.

Actual footage of the playerbase during the end:

f3Dhuhq.gif

There are a few other occasions where spending one turn to position (a) character(s) behind or on the side of an enemy is beneficial. I.e. when you have enemies with a lot of health who aren't moving all that much but are too far from each other for most AOE craft to hit them all, so moving someone like Rean and Gaius with craft that attack in a straight line into a position where they can hit 2-3 large enemies (& maybe some smaller ones) with tons of HP at once can be a pretty efficient, especially if they simultaneously move into positions where they avoid enemies' similar attacks.

This helps alot on those "canon badass" boss fights where the series shows its teeth.

I did get the free pack and have been saving it for later levels (this is what made my cross save fail to work until I also purchased and downloaded the Vita equivalent pack). The fact these iconic Trails enemies are removed and made into a pay to win device makes me a bit sad though, so I don't even know if I'll use it.

Yeah, I don't touch this stuff, but it seems to be damn near mandatory (partially from people not buying great JRPGs "like how they used to be made" what say they want great JRPGs "like how they used to be made" cotdayum).

Luckily the cast comes back dressed in styyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyle in II from what I've seen so there's no need then.

Baust

Finished the game last night. Holy crap!

Overall Impressions:

CS, FC, and SC Full Game Spoilers
-First of all, I totally
figured out that C was Crow. I knew there was something a little off about him, especially since he disappeared in the mine shortly before C made his appearance. I picked up on some other clues too, like his hair/eye color resembling Rean's when he goes full super saiyan, and his moves in battle. They kinda reminded me of Joshua's in that they were more... violent, I guess?

I don't think this was pulled off nearly as well as Weissman's big reveal, but I'm glad it happened. I guess this really explains why he was such a slacker? That's pretty insane.

-And right when I saw that coming, the game just flat out shocks me
when it ends with GIANT ROBOT COMBAT. What an amazing surprise! I need a full game like that, Falcom! I really hope CSII has more of this.

-I'm not sure what Zero/AO covers, but I actually really loved playing this coming off of FC and SC. CS pretty much compliments FC in its structure and design, but I thought it was especially cool to see that
the bracer work Olivier witnessed Estelle and Joshua pulling off influenced the entirety of Class VII.

Oh, and when
I first met Micht, I had suspicions that he was related to the Micht from Carnelia. When they confirmed this at the end of the game (and when we learn that Toby is Toval, it made me smile.

-The NPCs at the school are my favorite yet. Following everyone at the school was a blast, and even seeing my Class VII comrades grow and make friends with other students outside of the circle was neat. They even seemed to have more closure than the ones I remember from FC and SC, which was nice to see.

-About that cliffhanger... I'm trying to decide if it's worse than FC's. I can imagine that the ending was pretty bad before anything was known about CSII. It's comforting to at least
see the boxart and know that everyone seems to be okay.

Either way, I'm struggling to not watch that trailer for CSII that everyone really loves. I'd rather go in knowing absolutely nothing.

I went into Cold Steel thinking that I would be disappointed, but instead, I came out flat out loving it. While it might be my least favorite Trails game of the three out in English, all three of them are just fantastic.

And so the wait for CSII begins! For some reason, it doesn't seem as painful as the wait for SC, but I guess it's because we already know it's coming.

I did get the free pack and have been saving it for later levels (this is what made my cross save fail to work until I also purchased and downloaded the Vita equivalent pack). The fact these iconic Trails enemies are removed and made into a pay to win device makes me a bit sad though, so I don't even know if I'll use it.

i thought i'd use them in the last dungeon. i the end, i forgot to use them at all. agreed. there are barey any poms in the game. it's like dragon quest without metal slimes.

i maade thee MISTAKE of watching the Sen no kiseki 2 opening ..

WHAT A MISTAKE .... now it's even harder to wait

it's a mistake but goddamn i'm hyped...

Shahed

After what happened with FC and the wait to SC, I told myself I wouldn't start the Cold Steel trilogy until the 3Rd game was out in Japan and had a rough release date over here. However I loved SC that much that I couldn't help but give into to the hype and start playing this.

This ending cliffhanger is going to kill me isn't it?

After what happened with FC and the wait to SC, I told myself I wouldn't start the Cold Steel trilogy until the 3Rd game was out in Japan and had a rough release date over here. However I loved SC that much that I couldn't help but give into to the hype and start playing this.

This ending cliffhanger is going to kill me isn't it?

i think you'll be fine .but that's because i've got my RPG fix already and i know the SEN2 is coming this year.. i'm fine with that wait

I'm buying sen 2 day Zero , however

MildSoss

I've been easing the pain of CS 2 by starting Trails in the sky which I never got to play. Going from Cold steels battle system to sky's is a little jarring. Thankfully the characters and story so far have been making up for it.

Lusankya

Some of the given names of the NPCs are really great.
E.g. Müller (German family name)
Edel (German word for noble, classy)
Weiber (German word for women, although you only use it in a pejorative way. The normal translation for women would be "Frauen")

Shahed

i think you'll be fine .but that's because i've got my RPG fix already and i know the SEN2 is coming this year.. i'm fine with that wait

I'm buying sen 2 day Zero , however
Here's hoping. Anything that's directly story related I usually prefer to wait until they are finished so I can consume them all at once. Be it TV shows, films, books or whatever. Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit were exceptions if only because I'd read the books prior. But this hit at a time when I wasn't sure what to play and I jumped on it.

I must be nearing the end of Chapter 6 now so there can't be much left. Maybe I'll leave me nightmare playthrough for just before the 2nd game.

I feel you and I made that same mistake a month ago.

I watch that or the demo movie at least twice a day. I spoiled myself on CS2 already as well >.>

Here's hoping. Anything that's directly story related I usually prefer to wait until they are finished so I can consume them all at once. Be it TV shows, films, books or whatever. Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit were exceptions if only because I'd read the books prior. But this hit at a time when I wasn't sure what to play and I jumped on it.

I must be nearing the end of Chapter 6 now so there can't be much left. Maybe I'll leave me nightmare playthrough for just before the 2nd game.

I'll be kind and tell you where to stop before the start of the thing that hurts :
This is an honest tip:
You can complete chapter 6 and in chapter 7 , you can play untill you finally do the concert and the following events during the rest of the day.
Afterwards, there would be an event with your most befriended classmate and ONCE that set of story is done and you're controlling rean again , JUST STOP .. STOP

If you don't want cliffanger - hell , then just stop at that point. and play it once cold steel 2 is out.

Thank me later

Does the trailer spoil anything big for CS2?

Nothing that shouldn't be obvious going by the blatant forshadowing in CS1 and the ending.
It does enlight 1 character big upgrade status however
The most painfull thing is how hyped you are after watching it, however.

desmax

About Final Chapter

I did the festival events with 5 different characters, but when I went to select who I wanted to do the Private Talk cutscene, I only had a choice of one.

Not all of them were Link lv. 5 with Rean, but counting the one that was available, I had more than one character with lv 5 link.

Not sure what I did wrong

Psxphile

Don't listen to R_thanatos: complete the game and join the rest of us as we await the next installment. After all,
misery loves company

About Final Chapter

I did the festival events with 5 different characters, but when I went to select who I wanted to do the Private Talk cutscene, I only had a choice of one.

Not all of them were Link lv. 5 with Rean, but counting the one that was available, I had more than one character with lv 5 link.

You need to spend a max of two tickets on any one character to meet one of the requirements for the Private Talk. If you spent five of those tickets on 5 different characters than it won't count for them *UNLESS* you use another ticket on them *OR* you spent Bonding points w/ them during Chapter 6's Free Day *OR* took one of them to Heimdall to pick up the outfits. The other requirement, naturally, is to have the bare minimum of Link points w/ that character (Level 5 for most of Class VII, less for the others).

Lusankya

I feel you and I made that same mistake a month ago.

I watch that or the demo movie at least twice a day. I spoiled myself on CS2 already as well >.>

Stupid question time: How much will the Opening of ToCS2 spoil me, if I am only at the beginning of chapter 6 (before the field study starts) of ToCS1?

Famassu

About Final Chapter

To get the final bonding event, the main classmates have to have lvl 5 link AS WELL AS fulfilling _one_ of the following requirements, either:

1) spend time with them in Chapter 6's bonding events (except with Towa this is Chapter 5's)
2) take them to a motorcycle ride when you get to choose
3) spend TWO festival tickets with them

The NPCs/not regular playable characters that you can bond with will have to have somehwere along lvl 3-4 bond, in addition to one of the above (so when it comes to someone like Towa, you pretty much have to see every bonding event with her that is possible and then probably a couple of festival things to make sure that it's high enough, if you want to see her final bonding event during a single playthrough).

A lot. Don't watch it until you beat the game or you will be spoiled.

I've actually watched that opening, so is it a good thing that I don't remember anything in it.

Come about, the openings to Zero and Ao actually also spoil some things from Sky that I fortunately didn't realize at all until the things actually happened in the game. My visual inattentiveness saved me!

I've actually watched that opening, so is it a good thing that I don't remember anything in it.

Come about, the openings to Zero and Ao actually also spoil some things from Sky that I fortunately didn't realize at all until the things actually happened in the game. My visual inattentiveness saved me!

If you watched it before playing CS1 you would probably miss the significance of a lot of the things spoiled. Not so much for someone deep into the first game.

Famassu

Thanks. Guess I'll be leaving those for my second playthough; probably have them all maxed out by then.

Btw, I just finished the game.
It hurts
Unfortunately, if you only got 1 final bonding event in the first playthrough, you can't get all of the final bonding events on the second playthrough either
without having to play through the final dungeon (& some other stuff) twice
. Cold Steel has a total of 13 characters you can have the final bonding event with (9 Class VII members, Sara, Towa,
Crow & Millium

Chapter 6 has 5 bonding points so just with those you can have 5 final bonding events so long as the link lvl requirements are met. With the motorcycle ride you can increase that to 6 and with the festival tickets you can add 2 more (since you only get 5, you can fulfill the requirements of using 2 festical tickets with a person for only 2 characters), so that's 8. And as I said in my earlier post, with Towa, one of the requirements is to spend time with her in Chapter 5 instead of Chapter 6. So that's 9 characters you can have the final bonding event AT MOST in a new game+ playthrough (on the first playthrough you can't even do that many without spending ridiculous amounts of time grinding link lvls up).

So all in all, if you only had 1 final bonding event in your first playthrough, even if you do things perfectly in your second one you can only bring the total number of final bonding events to 10 out of 13. So you'd basically have
replay the second playthrough from the motorcycle ride forwards again, choose one of the remaining characters for the ride & then do the school festival with 2 characters you haven't had the final bonding event and then final dungeon again to get the last 3.

zakujanai

I still have the the Japanese demo of Sen 2 that I played a year or so ago, going to play that when I finally get through Cold Steel. I'm sure it won't alleviate the wait for Cold Steel 2 but I'm curious to see how badly I could've spoilered myself (all I remember now is
a talking cat, a giant robot and Rean on a mountain?
. It's really strange trying to fit those vague memories to the stuff I currently know (at chapter 5 field trip).

Diablos54

Played for 10 hours straight last night, at the start of chapter 2. Got all 3 book chapters so far so that's always good!
Does an S rank mean you got all AP during the chapter, or is there a little leeway?

Lusankya

A lot. Don't watch it until you beat the game or you will be spoiled.

Didn't watch it, got spoiled anyways. :(

Final Chapter Spoilers:

So Crow is C. Damn, wouldn't have guessed that, even though he is the only known Character that starts with a C. And apparently I remembered chapter 5 wrong, because I thought I saw Crow fighting together with group B and as Comrade C at the same time. Anyways, at least now I am really looking forward to the end. I want to learn his motivation and how the others deal with it.

Famassu

Didn't watch it, got spoiled anyways. :(

Final Chapter Spoilers:

So Crow is C. Damn, wouldn't have guessed that, even though he is the only known Character that starts with a C. And apparently I remembered chapter 5 wrong, because I thought I saw Crow fighting together with group B and as Comrade C at the same time. Anyways, at least now I am really looking forward to the end. I want to learn his motivation and how the others deal with it.
He did, wasn't it implied that his speech at the end of Chapter 5 was pre-recorded? We never actually SEE C in Chapter 5, right? Just hear his voice as if he was in the airship that took the other rebels away.

Shahed

So It's nearly 2am and I just finished the game. My God that cliffhanger is so much worse than FC's. FC had revelations after the dramatic event and during a lull. But this I can't believe they stopped there. I should sleep now but I can't. Dammit the wait is going to kill me!

Finally

Oh and I gotta say that those final battles were just so FUCKING AMAZING. HOLY SHIT I WAS NOT EXPECTING TO GO FULL GUNDAM WHEN I GOT THIS GAME

Even better I got to dance with all the Class VII girls except Alicia. Good I didn't like her and I'm glad she wasn't an option. My finished file picked Towa. <3

When is Cold Steel 2!? ;___;

lol @nightmare difficulty ..
i'm in the final chapter dongeon , currently in the second part.

The first time, i actually feel like the difficulty is catching up to me. Chapter 5 & 6 had suprisingly tough ennemies, but that dongeon is funny , instant 9,999 damage from simple bees on a full lv 67 character !!!

I'm actually not looking forward to the final bosses , now ..gonna make sure i have those red hot soda and those zeram powder ready.

bring it on !

Foffy

Banned
Question: Ideally, what version is the better one to get? I have a Vita and a PS3, so I don't mind.

Currently loving the shit out of Ys: Memories of Celceta, so I'll probably give the Trails games a go at some point down the line.

yami4ct

Question: Ideally, what version is the better one to get? I have a Vita and a PS3, so I don't mind.

Currently loving the shit out of Ys: Memories of Celceta, so I'll probably give the Trails games a go at some point down the line.

Both are pretty similar. PS3 has slightly shorter load times and I imagine slightly better framerate (vita version is really rough in some areas), but the game is certainly completely playable on both. I got/prefer vita because I love RPGs on portable systems.

Famassu

Vita is weaker technically (the framerate is pretty bad in a few instances like outdoors in a big city, loading times are a little bit longer), but I didn't have any huge issues with the Vita version all-in-all. So if you can stomach some framerate drops in a game that isn't all that dependent on smooth framerate from a gameplay perspective, it doesn't really matter what version you get. At that point you should get the one that you think is more convenient to you (do you like playing JRPGs on the go or like the convenience that portability brings games or do you want to sit in front of a the TV to enjoy it on the big screen?)

Just know that Ys & Trails are very, VERY different games. Ys games generally have pretty generic, weak stories but are super fun fast-paced action RPGs whereas Trails is a far slower-paced story & dialogue heavy turn-based affair, though the quality of the storytelling can be really good at its best (once you get past the initial hurdles & introductions that can be a bit too trope-ish).

Top Bottom