• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Crayolan

tumblr_ml28j2DsRn1qzmfgzo1_400.gif

How has this not been edited with Link's face yet?

I have just finished the main story and I think that not only has this finally surpassed Ocarina of Time and Link to the Past as my favourite Zelda game, it may well be my favourite game of all time. Honestly I did not think it would be anywhere near that after the first few hours. However once I got a hang of the controls and systems within the game it became an absolute joy to play.

In my opinion it perfects the open world genre, every time I had a goal in mind, there were loads of distractions that didn't ever feel like a chore or busy work. Each Korok seed I came across was fun to find and just when I thought the same puzzle had cropped up two or three times, a new one arrived and was cleverly designed. The memories were fun to find, the towers each presented a different challenge from the last and I adore the fact that I had to fill in the points of interest.

My one criticism would be the main dungeons were a bit too similar and the design felt a little bland, however this was eased by the excellent shrine puzzles, which were all (I haven't done nearly all of them yet) fantastic bite size challenges.

I could talk about this game all day and when I eventually get a Switch, I will happily play through the game again. In fact I am in nowhere near done with this game yet. I am going to have a break and play something different for a while, but after that I am back in and I am going to try and find every shrine (probably not all
korok seeds).

I hope everyone enjoyed this as much as I did and I have no idea how Nintendo will improve upon this next time.

Ndayday

Neo Member
Ok ok -
luminous stones the best pound for pound ting to sell?

Before you waste a lot of time, and not sure if it's already the case, but the price will be lowered for you if you talk to him again. Or at least it should.

you have to give him some other stuff in place of rupees though.

Boney

Banned
406 koroks

Still missing a memory

I decided against getting the barbarian set to the max, cause what's the point of grinding for those horns. Makes it a double edged sword kinda to get the extra attack as well.

I'm surprised some sets didn't power up specific weapon types, like spears or elements like fire. Especially with how superflous the crowns are.

Speely

Banned
Man, I'm finally at the point where I can take on any Lynel and give it hell.

At this point I'm just trying to max out my Barbarian Armor and Guardian Armor, then I think I'm off to Hyrule Castle.

Exactly where I am at. I am hunting Lynels and Guardians to upgrade the associated sets. So fun, since the hunt is taking me all over.

jariw

Regarding the story: there's a lot of backstory told through the the diaries found at various places. Make sure to read them.

So I just climbed a snowy mountain with no snow gear, killed a giant dragon and my only pay off was an under powered spear??? Wtf?

Found the
fountain of courage and need farosh's scale. What's the general area I should be searching
? Could've sworn I once saw him
flying around the place wear the eighth heroine statue is but can't remember.

Pineconn

Ah ok probably was thinking of the green one ten. Thanks.

No, you're right.
Farosh flies around the middle of Gerudo Highlands, Lake Hylia, and Lake Floria in Faron. The latter area I think is the easiest area to farm for parts -- she flies under the bridge by the stable.

Well, that is Farosh... though I haven't explored Gerudo thoroughly yet, but I know for sure it often appears around Lake Hylia and the jungle area

No, you're right.
Farosh flies around the middle of Gerudo Highlands, Lake Hylia, and Lake Floria in Faron. The latter area I think is the easiest area to farm for parts -- she flies under the bridge by the stable.

He definitely flies around the Gerudo Highlands too.
Hmm I suppose I'll camp out at
lake floria then.
Thanks for all the responses!

LotusHD

Banned
Beat the game. Open world was basically perfection, and I'll have higher standards going forward. I'm still surprised as to how much I enjoyed shrines. Multipurpose in terms of giving me a way to increase my health (which I rarely go out of my way to do in past Zelda games) and stamina, fast travel points, and the puzzles are generally just fun to do. Durabilitys never problematic either, as I always had powerful weapons at my disposal, even when giving up space to essentials like the torch and leaf. I will probably never be able to truly understand those who outright hate it, but ah well...

As for the dungeons, I'm somewhat indifferent to them. I liked the concept, but it would've been cool if they had done more with it in terms of what's inside of it. As for the bosses
Admittedly I might prefer how the old games would let you use the unique item to fight the boss. It felt like all I really had to do for the most part was shoot arrows. They were tough as fuck though, namely Thunderblight.

Story was pretty sparse too, and the final fight/ending somewhat anti-climatic compared to past games
Spending more time with prominent characters like the Champions and their descendants would've been nice. Often felt like just as I got to know them, I'm already off to the next destination. The champions in particular were disappointing because you only really have your memories with them, which doesn't do a very good job of making you care about them if that's the intention.
, though I'm a bit forgiving due to the world itself being an absolute joy to explore. I mean, yea, it's Zelda, we know the deal by now, but still slightly disheartening. That being said, this Zelda is probably my favorite now, (Voice was ehh though...) so there's that going for it. The complaints overall are amusing in that it'd be pretty easy to "fix" in future games, so that's very exciting.

All in all, a very nice 80+ hours, and barring me inexplicably souring on the game in the future, this is easily the best Zelda game I've played yet.

From the Moment you've beaten all 4
Divine Beasts
and are headed to the end of the main quest, how much time does all of that take/should I set aside.

Does anybody knows how to trigger a blood moon?

Kill lots of Hinox and Lynels. More enemies you kill the more it is likely to happen. I'm guessing you're trying to do the shrine quest. Another Gaffer just sat on the pedestal for 5 hours while they did something else.

Crayolan

From the Moment you've beaten all 4
Divine Beasts
and are headed to the end of the main quest, how much time does all of that take/should I set aside.

If you explore Hyrule Castle thoroughly it could take a few hours.

If you just walk right up to the final boss arena, maybe like 20-30 minutes.

mingo

This game....

I got home today with the intention of heading straight toward Hyrule Castle as I've beaten all the divine beast, done 90 odd shrines and over 100 seeds. Want to finish this game so I can start on Persona 5.

3hrs later and I've still not gone to Hyrule castle lol.

is there a way to get the camera to stay in a little closer to link? In docked mode I love the camera but in portable mode, everything seems so tiny and zoomed out! I want the camera to be closer behind link.

K' Dash

Well guys, it's been a tremendous pleasure, my time with Zelda ends today, actually I was just revisiting some areas, 40% done, obviously the rest are the korok seeds.

See you in the DLC thread.

I just played Zelda for the first time ever! Never played one before

The game looked hella pretty although the graphics themselves looked kinda outdated. I guess that doesn't really matter though.

I got a dose of some gameplay and while there may be a learning curve to this as well it does look like it's something I could've acclimated and grown into

Boney

Banned
Plus if you spot the red moon early, you can get to the platform before it sets.

Is there a bow equivalent to the Hylian Shield? Seems Savage Lynel and Ancient Bows are the best to have.

The Lamp

I haven't played in 2 weeks and coming back to this feels overwhelming again.

Ugh, video games. This spring had too many good ones. Can't play enough.

Neonep

Not having that much fun with this game to be honest. Link is fragile, I don't know what I'm supposed to do, and I'm constantly dying off of getting hit once.

totowhoa

Banned
Not having that much fun with this game to be honest. Link is fragile, I don't know what I'm supposed to do, and I'm constantly dying off of getting hit once.

You die a lot more early on before you have many upgrades, for sure.

I recommend following the main quest line for a couple hours until you get some helpful slate upgrades. Then, feel free to explore and/or head in the general direction of a divine beast.

Neonep

Yeaaahh, isn't it the best game ever?
I'm not a fan of games where the main character is fragile. I'm stuck and don't know how to progress. I only have 3 missions. One is to save Zelda, the other the 4 beasts, and the other is the 12 memories. What am I supposed to do?

Ndayday

Neo Member
For some reason this has gripped me so I want to know if anyone else has experienced it. Probably the point I knew this game was great. Everything is so detailed. This isn't a story spoiler, more like an interaction spoiler.

In Kakariko,
there are the two old men, one who has a pumpkin patch and one that has a carrot patch. They're also tutorial NPCs that tell you how you can do some actions. But they have a really tense relationship with each other. At night the pumpkin patch man takes a jog...

and obviously you can follow him. Turns out he runs straight through and deliberately tramples the carrot patch. You can talk to him then and he'll say how you caught him ruining the carrot man's carrots and that he's sorry, and something about how it's all because he won't let him sell his pumpkins in his wife's shop. In the morning, if you talk to the carrot guy as he's getting up he'll tell you how his carrots have been growing great, as if someone was tilling the plot for him every night.

and then you can enter his wife's plum tree plot and destroy all the trees but you'll feel real bad in the morning when she goes to check on them :(

purg3

slept with Malkin
"Finished" the game just a bit ago. Clocked in ~60hrs and roughly 20% completion. Still want to finish up the shrines but that's about it for me until the DLC. Not sure I have the patience to grind enemies to level the rest of my gear and still need to unlock the final upgrade tier.

Will most likely go down as one of my favorite games. Completely captivated from start to finish. Loved the environments and sense of discovery. 2 of the Divine beasts were a bit of a let down and really made me wish for a proper dungeon. Minor nitpicks aside, it's a masterpiece.

Can't wait to see what changes they make with hero mode though.

Boney

Banned
I'm not a fan of games where the main character is fragile. I'm stuck and don't know how to progress. I only have 3 missions. One is to save Zelda, the other the 4 beasts, and the other is the 12 memories. What am I supposed to do?

Since you left Kakariko, you're advised to go to Hateno Village which they tell you it's the other fork on the road from the path to Kakariko from the stable. Did you buy the Hylian Armor in Kakariko and have you found shrines on your way to upgrade your health?

As for what to do. Just find shrines. Just think about why the mission about collecting your memories is set up as it is. It teases you environmental vistas and tasks you to recognize them. It's completely open about it though, get whatever memory you just end up finding first, or even don't go looking for any and head straight to Ganon if you were inclined to do so.

I've got all Shrines, have beat Ganon twice and am still scared of Lynels.
Haha I used to be scared of them until I NEEDED to defeat them for the barbarian armor. It didn't take long to realize it's just an endurance run of dodging and furry attacking.
Exactly where I am at. I am hunting Lynels and Guardians to upgrade the associated sets. So fun, since the hunt is taking me all over.

Yup. I've discovered so many shrines because of this that I didn't even know existed.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Nintendo needs to bring back the handholding next Zelda, this is a problem.

DanielJr82

This game is magic. As an open world fan, I thought BotW wouldn't offer anything new, but it's all of its components coming together that makes this such a wonderful experience. Arriving at Kakariko Village on a horse I captured from an enemy... and the Japanese music kicking in just as the wind blows by... man! I'm in the mood for anime again after all these years!

Top Bottom