• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

chronomac

I just realized that when you wear a
creature
mask you get a specific
stance for each one

Like this:

3OpwdAs.jpg

O9FLXuW.jpg

CX9gEmt.jpg

Q4lAeXT.jpg

Guess Who

Banned
I'm not a fan of games where the main character is fragile. I'm stuck and don't know how to progress. I only have 3 missions. One is to save Zelda, the other the 4 beasts, and the other is the 12 memories. What am I supposed to do?

You literally just named three different things you could try to do.

Hyoukokun

I'm not a fan of games where the main character is fragile. I'm stuck and don't know how to progress. I only have 3 missions. One is to save Zelda, the other the 4 beasts, and the other is the 12 memories. What am I supposed to do?

A few general tips in no particular order:

• Make use of the cooking system. You can cook up meals and potions that will pad out your health (look for "hearty" ingredients, like truffles and radishes), or those that increase your armor.
  • Find high places (the towers work well for this) and mark a few shrines on your map; they're glowing orange, they're hard to miss).
  • On the subject of shrines: pretty much all of the stables and towns in the game have shrines near them. They're usually easy to get to and always worth doing.
  • Consider sneaking into some of the tougher areas (the surroundings of Hyrule Castle, for instance). If you crouch / move carefully you can dodge most enemies and grab high-end gear.
  • Take advantage of the runes. Bombs in particular are great for taking out all kinds of enemies and wildlife remotely.
  • Get a horse by crouching and sneaking up on it from behind. Register it with one of the stables. Now you've got a way to get around quickly and can run away from enemies if need be.
  • When in doubt, follow the roads. They usually lead somewhere interesting.
And some specific thoughts on stuff you might want to do:

• Assuming you've already been to Kakariko, try visiting Hateno; follow the roads south and east from Kakariko, past the wall (Fort Hateno). The ancient tech lab there has some stuff you'll want.
  • Of the four divine beasts, the one in the Zora region is probably the easiest to tackle first. It's north and east of Kakariko, but you might find it easier to trace around the outskirts of the central Hyrule Field area on the roads and approach it by road.
  • You'll feel a lot less fragile with some armor. You can purchase some Hylian gear in Hateno for not-crazy amounts of money. If you need money, sell extra food junk and monster parts that you don't need.

I'm not far though, I have 6 hearts and have only upgraded my stamina twice.
Just set the divine beasts as your main objective on the mission select and head for the nearest one. It will light up the beasts on the map even if you don't have much of it filled in, Defeat shrines along the way. Believe me the game irritated me too at first with the one shot deaths but more hearts, learning the combat basics, learning that you aren't a one man army so you have to devise strategies to make the battle go in you favor will make the game more enjoyable. After a certain amount of time the game grew on me and I had very few deaths or frustrating moments.

Neonep

So I just beat a shine where the boss dropped a sword, axe, and trident. Will those help against a divine beast?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So I just beat a shine where the boss dropped a sword, axe, and trident. Will those help against a divine beast?

They'll help a lot against Guardians and other combat shrines. The divine beasts are another animal altogether, you'll understand when you get there.

I just entered the Lost woods and it's so atmospheric. Seeing deers and Ravens out in the distance through the fog is something straight out of Lord of the Rings. Glorious.

I finally completed Kass' quests.

The moment you see him back at Rito Village
with his daughters...

The moment he plays
Zelda's theme...

Damn, gonna miss this game once I'm done.

I'm not far though, I have 6 hearts and have only upgraded my stamina twice.
You're far enough to do Divine Beasts and several memories. And there's always doing Shrines. And side quests. And collect materials for upgrades. And explore the world. And literally whatever you want.

This is really a game where you can't think in terms of "what am I supposed to do next" because there is nothing you're "supposed" to do. You just do things. I spent like 15 hours just exploring and and doing whatever I came across until I accidentally stumbled upon a Divine Beast quest.

AmyS

YAY, OT3 at last.

I've barely scratched the surface of this game, and now that the patch improves the framerate to some extent, I want to dive into this world even more.
Not that I wouldn't have otherwise, just there's even more motivation, because it's "a more pleasant experience" -- Nintendo's words for better performance!

Ogodei

Found the memory involving frogs and flowers. Zelda's delightfully dorky in this one.
You can find it on a hill northwest of the castle, beyond the moat.

Totofogo

Neo Member
I had been playing mostly in handheld mode pre-patch, and just had a long TV session today thanks to the improvements :)

I continue to be impressed at how satisfying the puzzles in the shrines manage to be even if gone about in a way that clearly wasn't the intended solution. I just completed a laser-focused puzzle by using my mirror shield instead of the intended stasis/block combo that was hinted at, good stuff!

KarmaCow

Where do I go to upgrade armor?

It's almost impossible to miss, you can find it pretty early on once you given free reign over the world.
Try Kakirko Village.

If you want more of a hint:
It isn't a typical NPC in a shop.

tsundoku

A Major Test of Strength was one of my earliest shrines in the game, like my 12th shrine or something. It's hard, but pretty much doable.

You have a long road ahead.

Same here, I found them pretty pitifully easy to do after
the first one gives you weapons you can bank at the house to use in the future. And the regular tests / minor tests / moderate tests are a complete joke by the time i found them.
I hope hard mode puts in actual combat puzzles, like a boss refight with a bad set of weapons or something

Is this just an OT remake? Why do we need 80 gigantic dumb images and gifs in the op when its going to be the main page for like, a day, and then literally only going to bomb peoples workstation pcs and mobile devices for weeks?

Yeah, but to be fair, there are
a lot of shrines.
Also, you get
full heart containers
from each of the
divine beasts.
I'm not complaining lol. The "huh" is like the audible expression of curiosity, if that makes sense.
Basically 40 shrines or get one heart each for every Divine Beast completion then get the rest from spirit orbs.
No biggie. I got quite the journey ahead.

I finally completed Kass' quests.

The moment you see him back at Rito Village
with his daughters...

The moment he plays
Zelda's theme...

Damn, gonna miss this game once I'm done.

Wasnt expecting those at all. Talk about an amazing surprise.

Stick around for the new additions to the Rito Village theme
:)

tsundoku

Regarding, The Sword That Seals The Darkness:

Just upgrade stamina to max and
finish the game with 7+ hearts because the sword is useless and breaks anyways

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Regarding, The Sword That Seals The Darkness:

Just upgrade stamina to max and
finish the game with 7+ hearts because the sword is useless and breaks anyways

The sword heals itself after 10 minutes and has 60 base power while in any dungeon or against anything affected by Gannon's power
. Not really useless by any stretch of the imagination.

tsundoku

The sword heals itself after 10 minutes and has 60 base power while in any dungeon or against anything affected by Gannon's power
. Not really useless by any stretch of the imagination.

The dungeons all have about 2 minutes worth of actual combat sections, bosses that go invulnerable for extended periods of time, and its pitifully easy to have an inventory full of 2 handed weapons with like 40 attk that will out damage the sword / 1 cycle a boss knockdown by just spinning the charge attack, something you can't do with short swords.

The dungeons all have about 2 minutes worth of actual combat sections, bosses that go invulnerable for extended periods of time, and its pitifully easy to have an inventory full of 2 handed weapons with like 40 attk that will out damage the sword / 1 cycle a boss knockdown by just spinning the charge attack, something you can't do with short swords.
It's mostly for Hyrule castle.

KraytarJ

I remember getting to the master sword with 8 hearts and one extra stamina wheel. Then
I went to Hateno a switched all my stamina to hearts and came back with just barely enough hearts to pull it out. I honestly love that they put that statue in the game and for it to be so missable too.
Not only that but the only reason I knew where to look was because an NPC in a stable said it was hidden near another stable and after I found it I saw a suspicious place that turned out to be the lost woods. Something like that, finiding the master sword, which is used to be such a rigid thing and for it to happen like that for me is one of the reasons this game is so good.

Davide

Go for the Zora's Domain beast.

1upsuper

So I beat the game last night finally and now I want to find the last 24 shrines I'm missing, and I have completed every shrine quest I've come across. Would it be feasible to just roam around the world again trying to find the shrines out in the open with the radar or solve obvious environmental puzzles, or am I likely missing shrine quests with shrines that are really hard to find otherwise? I realize this is a weird question, but I'm just trying to figure out whether I should just look up the missing shrine locations or not.

Anteo

So I beat the game last night finally and now I want to find the last 24 shrines I'm missing, and I have completed every shrine quest I've come across. Would it be feasible to just roam around the world again trying to find the shrines out in the open with the radar or solve obvious environmental puzzles, or am I likely missing shrine quests with shrines that are really hard to find otherwise? I realize this is a weird question, but I'm just trying to figure out whether I should just look up the missing shrine locations or not.

You can find a few by exploring the early game areas like the path from kakariko to hateno (its likely you didnt pay too much atention at that point) or the edges of the map, , but I doubt you will find all that way

random25

If you finish the game, you can actually see how many shrine quests are available in the game so you can see how many you have missed are behind shrine quests.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

And Hyrule Castle? There's some fights in there where it's more than a little useful.

Top Bottom