• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

heyf00L said:
My friend's mom's name is Zelda. Of course she was born way before the game came out. That's the only person I've ever heard of having the name. Where in the world did Shiggy find that name?

http://videogames.gamespot.com/features/universal/zelda/page2.html

As for the female name that is the title? Miyamoto admits that he took the name from F. Scott Fitzgerald's wife, Zelda. Literary critics, be forewarned: There's no hidden meaning or subtext. Miyamoto simply liked the sound of the name. Link, poor guy, has to settle for occasional second billing in the subtitles.

Effect said:
First party. 100% owned by Nintendo.

I knew they were owned by Nintendo, what I meant by "second party" is that they are not an original Nintendo team like EAD and other internal teams in Japan.

Metroid Prime games were not easy either.

Truth101

Banned
GaimeGuy said:
Nintendo purchased Retro for $1 million about 6 months before Metroid Prime was released.

Such a steal.

Naked Snake said:
I knew they were owned by Nintendo, what I meant by "second party" is that they are not an original Nintendo team like EAD and other internal teams in Japan.

Metroid Prime games were not easy either.

They are owned by Nintendo, so they are a first party studio.

Coen

For the people request artwork in this thread, here's some:

Jqjsn.jpg

OuG2q.jpg

mW9aC.jpg

JE02P.jpg

All credit goes to Big One, he posted these in the Skyward Sword E3 trailer thread.

Miau

Neo Member
Why did I just pre-ordered and payed this if I don't even own a 3DS? :(

Zelda whore at its finest.

At least I can enjoy an A2 poster!

Metroid Killer said:
New Ganondorf design for Skyward Sword confirmed!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/MKiller/Ganonwilliams.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
hahahahahaha! I was not expecting that when scrolling down!

Commercial was surprisingly touching. Really cool that the Williams agreed to do it.
It's going to suck not having a 3DS... : (

edit: don't worry, miau, you're not alone.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Gah, having never beat a Zelda game I am excited for this. I started playing it on the Wii I used to have using that gamecube disc with 3 Zelda games but didn't get very far.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Can't stop playing. Zelda OOT is definitely the best handheld game ever made.

The game plays like a dream, I wonder why Mario on 3DS needs a run button as the analog stick works so well to walk/run.

Surround sound is excellent, though I wish the volume was stronger on 3DS.

3D adds nice gimmicks effects, such as feathers coming at you when you hold a chicken. But more importantly, it adds an impressive depth of field, as if the game was in 21/9. This, added to an uncluttered upper screen makes the game look great.

phillax

Banned
John Harker said:
No, but I would if you know it's available

The Kmart that I go to usually has the most anticipated games on sale before their release date.
However, I haven't checked for this game, have no time.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
RockXLight said:
How are people playing a game that isn't out again?

Stores break street dates. The 3DS is unhackable as far as I know so no one is playing ROM dumps.

marc^o^ said:
Can't stop playing. Zelda OOT is definitely the best handheld game ever made. The game plays like a dream, I wonder why Mario on 3DS needs a run button as the analog stick works so well to walk/run.

Surround sound is excellent, though I wish the volume was stronger on 3DS.

3D adds nice gimmicks effects, such as feathers coming at you when you hold a chicken. But more importantly, it adds an impressive depth of field, as if the game was in 21/9. This, added to an uncluttered upper screen makes the game look great.

:O

RockXLight said:
How are people playing a game that isn't out again?

MAGIC!!

_Alkaline_ said:
The Eurogamer does well in conveying what I've preached many times. Ocarina's design betrays it's age. It's not something where you go "oh yeah, it was great for the time, but now it's pretty unimpressive." It's too good for that. It still shames most modern day games.
Word. OOT imo is better than 99% of current gen games.

Mafro

mrklaw said:
they rave about the 3D and the motion controls, but any comments on whether you can only choose one? I found the AR games with 3D on very tricky to keep in the sweetspot. For smooth motion controlled aiming I'd want more freedom than that offered.
Playing it just now, you can go into the options and turn off the motion controls.

CassSept

2 more days...
I've played through Ocarina only once, 7 years ago. Even back then it amazed me. Even though visuals were outdated, stepping out into Hyrule Field for the first time was still an experience on it's own. It was the first Zelda game I've finished I believe and it made me instantly fall in love with the series. There were so many things that were great about that game, even though it was already nearly 6 years old when I played it (wow, now I notice that more time passed since I've played than between the game being released and me playing it!). The design was great. The atmosphere was unmatched. I remember I was dazzled by the sole look of the Hyrule Field stretching out in front of me. Stepping out into Hyrule after time-skip and seeing Market destroyed. Hearing the first notes of Gerudo Valley. Definitely one of the best games ever made. And while some parts of it may be now updated, the design is still fantastic and the remake will surely smooth out those parts that feel outdated now (Iron Boots thanks God). Two more days...

It's so amazing that it comes out exactly a day after my finals. I can't wait to get my hands on it.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Anyone got a HUGE wallpaper of the Zelda+Epona on Hyrule Field art but with no logo?

NeonZ

marc^o^ said:
The game plays like a dream, I wonder why Mario on 3DS needs a run button as the analog stick works so well to walk/run.

I don't think it needs a run button. They're trying to attract the 2d Mario audience, and making the game an actual 3d version of the 2d Mario titles in several ways. A run button is just (an odd) part of that idea.

Altazor

Just because I'm really hyped (
and only buying a 3DS *now* because of this game. -Yes, I don't have a 3DS yet.
) I need to post the Hyrule Field theme, but the Smash Bros. Brawl version, which has better sound quality than the original. Oh god, I love the main Zelda theme cameo @ 1:05. So fucking epic.

Chaplain

Relix said:
I think Target broke it yesterday, not sure if they are still doing it today

The Target in Granada Hills, CA. would not sell the game to me yesterday. He said it probably depends on the Target.

ZZMitch

I am so excited to play this for the first time on Sunday. I have been playing Link's Awakening (also for the first time) and it is completely awesome.

wrowa

I got the German pre-order poster today :eek:

Now I just need the pouch. And the game. Friday can't come soon enough.

hamchan

A remake of the one of the best games ever is one of the best handheld games ever? Makes sense!

Preordered this from the UK to Australia. Hopefully the volcanic ash cloud doesn't delay delivery.

That Eurogamer review was astoundingly well written (even more so for something coming from games journalism) but I could not disagree with him more on the motion controls. They're useless at best and get in the way of gameplay at worst. When you're Z-Targeting the slightest movement will move your perspective about, a lot of the time AWAY from the enemy you're trying to dispatch. Same with going into first-person mode, there's no fine movement and you have to literally put some thought into keeping the camera stationary.

The 3D doesn't do much for me either, though I've warmed up to it some having gone through Inside the Deku Tree but the trade-off still isn't worth it for the loss of AA (and this is coming from someone who is typically very impressed with the 3DS 3D). The aliasing is so bad with the 3D on that you can't make out a NPC's facial features with it on from a small-to-medium distance, turn it off and they're crystal clear in definition.

That being said, it's still fuckin' OoT and those are both optional features. Having a blast.

Garryk

Damn, this makes me want a 3DS, but this is the only game that I would buy :(

This is GTA3 and the PS2 all over again.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
The aliasing in 3D mode sounds annoying, so i guess i'll be switching a lot between the 2. Like 3D for the first time i enter a zone, 2D after this.

Unless playing in 3D is too amazing to pass.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
1080p crops of the artwork that I threw into my wallpaper rotation, if anyone else wants 'em.

Check out that noise filter and radial blur deal they got going on in the Hyrule Field art, lol

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
marc^o^ said:
Probably to evoke the memories of holding the run button all the time in 2D Marios (if you don't, you are playing them wrong).

yankee666 said:
I hope this is what you re looking for

http://media.nintendo.com/pressroom/E32011/Nintendo3DS/ZeldaOT/3DS_ZeldaOT_Artwork.zip
save as

if needed
User: guest
pass: nintendo

Thats some of it so thank you for posting it. The rest of it is essentially the old n64 art works but in very high resolution and with the proper coloring intact. Here is a link to the IGN images I am talking about. http://ds.ign.com/dor/objects/77881/the-legend-of-zelda-ocarina-of-time-3ds/images/the-legend-of-zelda-ocarina-of-time-3ds-20110520091341425.html some of them have the watermarks right on the art if anyone has these I would appreciate completing the set Yankee kindly provided, thanks!

CoolS

Yay just got this early from a litle shop here in Germany.

So exited, only ever finished OoT once, but never with 100%. And I haven't played it in years. Now if I just could register the game online for the soundtrack :(

shadyspace said:
That Eurogamer review was astoundingly well written (even more so for something coming from games journalism) but I could not disagree with him more on the motion controls. They're useless at best and get in the way of gameplay at worst. When you're Z-Targeting the slightest movement will move your perspective about, a lot of the time AWAY from the enemy you're trying to dispatch. Same with going into first-person mode, there's no fine movement and you have to literally put some thought into keeping the camera stationary.

The 3D doesn't do much for me either, though I've warmed up to it some having gone through Inside the Deku Tree but the trade-off still isn't worth it for the loss of AA (and this is coming from someone who is typically very impressed with the 3DS 3D). The aliasing is so bad with the 3D on that you can't make out a NPC's facial features with it on from a small-to-medium distance, turn it off and they're crystal clear in definition.

That being said, it's still fuckin' OoT and those are both optional features. Having a blast.

That AA problem is unfortunate but liveable, are the motion controls mandatory or can you aim and look around normally with the slider as well?

TheBanditKing said:
That AA problem is unfortunate but liveable, are the motion controls mandatory or can you aim and look around normally with the slider as well?
You can but you if you have motion-enabled you get shake that goes along with that you're constantly fighting.

I want to see this in 3D nonetheless. For those who've played enough of OoT3D, what areas should we keep in mind to view in 3D. I only recall jumping off the Waterfall in Zora's Domain.

My fucking hype level is through the roof. It's been 3 months since I've bought a damn 3DS game. I still can't believe the lack of games that the 3DS has had since it's been released, but at least it's starting to look like a better future for us owners.

Top Bottom