• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

Disguises

mclem said:
Anyone in Europe able to fill in their data for the soundtrack CD? I get an error message when I try.
Yeah, I got errors too, can't get back to the same form to fill on my address either :/. Sent an email to customer support to see if it can be resolved.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
TheLegend said:
NYC gaf assemble...where can I get this wonderful game early? Anyone have any luck today.
Nassau Electronics in downtown Manhattan. On the corner of Nassau and Fulton. It's actually temporarily relocated to Fulton as their Nassau store gets renovated. As of 2 hours ago, they still had tons.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Varjet said:
Just played through the first dungeon. Game looks so much smoother than it used to, but Ghoma is still the most pathetic boss ever :p

I've been replaying Link Awakening on the 3DS and i disagree... for example, the fish boss in LA took me like 5 secs to kill. And that's not even the first boss of the game! All i had to do is standing in front of him and spam the sword button. Nothing more, nothing less.

Pappasman

Well, my brother and I went to target earlier and found OoT3D. We took them to the counter and were told "we can't sell this until the 19th". FFFUUUU-

so close...

CassSept said:
Gyroscope aiming is a great addition too. So much quicker and more precise than the standard procedure once you get a grip of it.
This is the statement that has me intrigued. Are you guys, the ones that prefer the gyro aiming, not sugar coating?

If this is true this will have huge implications for the Wii U shooters, good ones.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Bisnic said:
I've been replaying Link Awakening on the 3DS and i disagree... for example, the fish boss in LA took me like 5 secs to kill. And that's not even the first boss of the game! All i had to do is standing in front of him and spam the sword button. Nothing more, nothing less.
I too was surprised when I replayed that boss. So simple that it made no impact on me as a child and thus completely forgotten.

Hope NoE (UK) sorts their shit out soon. Sent them an email a while back but I doubt they'll respond sharpish.

This game is gonna be amazing. I remember when they announced it last year after the press conference, I was so fucking excited to get a chance to play it. This game will be in my 3DS for about 2 months straight.

bitoriginal

mclem said:
Anyone in Europe able to fill in their data for the soundtrack CD? I get an error message when I try.

I've got exactly the same issue my friend. Not heard anyone else notice it yet. I did ask a page back but unfortunately no response.

edit: Just saw responses while I wrote this. I've sent them an email but they've probably finished work for the weekend.

LayLa

yeh i keep getting a "Please enter your street address" message even though i've filled out that box. very frustrating.

Mejilan said:
Nassau Electronics in downtown Manhattan. On the corner of Nassau and Fulton. It's actually temporarily relocated to Fulton as their Nassau store gets renovated. As of 2 hours ago, they still had tons.
oh snap maybe I'll get this today.

Nintendo World's having a launch party with Gold Skulltula treasure hunts and stuff, but I'm thinking about skipping it and just getting the game today.

Bliddo

LayLa said:
yeh i keep getting a "Please enter your street address" message even though i've filled out that box. very frustrating.
No problems here, after the first error message a checkbox "stop nagging me asshole" appeared.

Zane

rhino4evr said:
Loved the Wired review. Like Chris I was a freshman in college when OOT came out. I remember cramming for a test and then taking a break to play Zelda.

All my room mates would take turn playing..and that worked great until we got to the Water Temple. I remember it took us all night to finish that temple. When we saw the boss of that dungeon our hard work was worth it. It would have helped if we wernt stoned out of out minds too.

LOL

I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
game is lovely, motion aiming seems nice.

Not sure I like the 3D though. It *is* impressive but I think it just fatigues me. And 2D is very nice with AA.

Is there an easy way to cancel lock-on when toggling? I find holding to lock uncomfortable, but I can't easily unlock when its toggled - it keeps switching to other targets when I press L again.

Got my copy and a 3DS today from Amazon, I really didn't expect this but I'm actually super impressed by the 3D after dabbling with Pilotwings at a demo booth kinda left me cold. The graphics are also quite a bit better than I expected, so far I like this version a lot more than what I've played of the original.

One thing that feels weird to me is the "circle pad", though, it doesn't seem to offer the same precision as an analog stick. I'll get used to it, though, I suppose.

The Lamp

Jo Shishido's Cheeks said:
Seriously man we've gotta knock this 'boo hoo remake' shit on the head.
Was it ok for Michael Jackson's records to be remasted?
Was it ok for Lawrence or Arabia to be restored and rereleased?
Was it ok for..... on and on and on for about 100 more examples.....?
If your answer is no, you're an idiot.
If your answer is yes then why can't Nintendo do the same?
They're not just remaking any game, they're remaking their masterpiece! How is this not a cause of celebration for all?
When The Beatles and Rolling Stones records get rereleased it's = woo hoo!
When Disney constantly pumps their old shit out over and over it's = woo hoo!
When Nintendo make the definitive version of a masterwork it's = fuck Nintendo!

How does this even make any sense?
'but but I played this years ago!' so I guess you won't be buying Star Wars on bluray or the Kubrick collection or any Nike trainers or............

These are terrible examples because we're talking about games. It's also a terrible argument on your part because no one was making statements about Star Wars or Michael Jackson or Disney. Personally, I don't care about Star Wars, I don't listen to Michael Jackson, and Disney's "release a movie once every 10 years and then lock it away for good" strategy, while ingenious, pisses me off.

My point was that Nintendo looks at the behavior of their sales. If 3DS sales dip up or down, they look at the software currently out and the current behavior of the market to judge what they prioritize their future software/hardware focus on. If they re-release old games and get huge sales bumps, but then release Luigi's Mansion 2 and there's no real budge in software or hardware sales, Nintendo might conclusively decide to focus on re-releases. That's a really one-dimensional analysis of what Nintendo might do, but it in simple terms, it's accurate. Nintendo studies their sales (in fact, their reaction to Metroid Other M's lackluster sales alarmed me. It's as if they interpreted the Metroid brand as now being unsuccessful instead of blaming the kind of game in the series it was for its low sales).

I want my 3DS purchase to add to the sales ticker when they release their beefy line-up a few months from now so they can look at their sales and say "Wow, releasing these games is what caused 3DS hardware sales to go up".

Though that was my original position, it might have budged, as people mentioned the fact that it's probably not as binary as I'm seeing it, and that many people will be playing this OoT for the first time.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Added more reviews to the OP, plus a link to the OoT 3D page on Metacritic to check the Metascore and more reviews (the list in the OP is starting to get too crowded).

I also added this, since the question about the framerate in 3D keeps getting asked:

1b_whatsnewwn5w.png

small_triforcefq6t.png
Smooth framerate @ 30fps in both 2D and 3D mode, with the latter not suffering from noticeable drops.

small_triforcefq6t.png
The 2D mode has added antialiasing.

I haven't received my copy yet, so please let me know if this is accurate.

Reknoc

kaskade said:
That has to be false. The game isn't even out officially.

It is here and it has been mentioned that the error is showing up on NoE's site. Bit surprising they're already out of stock though.

Anth0ny

As much as I'd like a 3DS remake of the greatest game of all time (Majora's Mask), I feel like they would somehow ruin the feel of the game. Make it less creepy, most likely.

I'd still buy it, though.

The Lamp

Anth0ny said:
As much as I'd like a 3DS remake of the greatest game of all time (Majora's Mask), I feel like they would somehow ruin the feel of the game. Make it less creepy, most likely.

I still buy it, though.

The way they did Castle Town gave off a huge Majora's Mask feeling to me. I feel like they'd do it well.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I doubt it's already out of stock. Or perhaps it's what I want to believe, since I'll only get my copy in 4-5 more days...

AlexSmash

This is my first Post on GAF and ill spend it on my favourite Game ever- Ocarina of Time.

I played the 3DS Version today and it looks great, the gyro controls are working great.
Nintendo promoted those a bit too gimmicky but they are working good.

the 3D effect on the other side is disappointing.
the jaggies are awful to watch....

Setanta

Got the game here in Ireland, completed the original countless times along with MQ.
Few things ive noticed in this 'remake':

The 3D switched off is surprisingly great as it is switched on

Few 'Ghosting' here and there in particularly dark areas, this CAN be overcome by tilting the screen slightly to a more appropiate angle, its not a hinderance but i do want the quality to look high at all times.

At Zeldas courtyard
The Mario images from the N64 original have been replaced with from what it looks like New Super Mario Bros mushroom kingdom scenery, complete with power blocks, hills and platforms....but no Mario characters. The Windows themselves have been 'raised' forcing you to go at more tight angles to look

Link model 'Spins' around needlessly when you unlock a locked dungeon door, its not an animation of the character but the game model itself spinning (similar to spinning a Super Smash Bros trophy around)

The Analogue thumb pad isn't as comfortable as the N64 stick, feels there could be more give to make link run.

The sense of depth to areas is amazing with the 3D turned on and adds greatly to the size of places.

jtrov

Damn, after watching the Giant Bomb QL, I have realized I don't remember much at all about the dungeon designs in this game. Which is a good thing, as it should definitely make this game an even more fresh experience. Especially with the inclusion of the updated graphics.

I already have this game paid in full at Gamestop (w/ store credit), but I have seen many shops in the area with the game out for sale. It's so tempting to just buy the game now, but with only Saturday left to go, I think I shall wait.

I just can't wait to dive-in. Just re-watching some classic scenes in the Quick Look made me all excited inside to play OoT.

Zane

Anth0ny said:

I'd still buy it, though.

I was worried about this too but after OoT 3D, those fears are gone. If Grezzo ends up handling a 3DS remake of MM, I'm sure it'll turn out just fine.

FeD.nL

Refreshment.01 said:
This is the statement that has me intrigued. Are you guys, the ones that prefer the gyro aiming, not sugar coating?

If this is true this will have huge implications for the Wii U shooters, good ones.

Before OoT 3D I thought of it as a useless, though fun, gimmick but after playing with it for a while I won't go back to the regular controls for aiming. It works perfect and with 3d on I just close one eye when aiming.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Tiduz said:
i cant go above 40% 3D or i start seeing shit double/ghosting

:/

I found at above 50% 3D setting I almost have to do those 'cross your eyes' things to get it to focus. It does snap in though.

On that of a MM remake (which could have a harder sell since it lacks a MQ), since they reused assets there, and some assets were reused in the OoT3D, should it take even less time to get it?

Not to mention would be possible to give models a darker shade to match the artstyle, like so.

f1jjbq.jpg

307t7ns.png

McNum

I'd be cautious with a MM remake, though. That game is NOT handheld friendly. The game starts with 45 minutes where you cannot save the game, and then it erases some of your progress every time you save the game. If nothing else, a portable MM badly needs a proper suspend save system.

kaskade

Reknoc said:
It is here and it has been mentioned that the error is showing up on NoE's site. Bit surprising they're already out of stock though.
Oh, that makes more sense. I didn't realize Europe already got it.

I think I may order my 3ds next week. So I guess OoT won't be able to tease me for too long. I'm going away the next 2 weekends and I'd like to have it for the trip.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Got this today. It is an absolute delight.

I'd never given a thought to the gyro controls for aiming/first person view, but they are spectacularly good - a wonderful addition to the game and one that makes exploring feel that much more natural.You'd think, wouldn't you, that waving your handheld around would kind of destry the immersion, but it doesn't - quite the reverse.

Having a lot of fun (and a lot of memory failures - I'd really forgotten just how enormous Ocarina is and somehow transplanted some of my memories of it onto different games).

The Lamp

McNum said:
I'd be cautious with a MM remake, though. That game is NOT handheld friendly. The game starts with 45 minutes where you cannot save the game, and then it erases some of your progress every time you save the game. If nothing else, a portable MM badly needs a proper suspend save system.

This is their chance to make it easier and more accessible. That's why I hope they do a remake :)

stalker

I visited a Fnac store on my way back home from the office (Barcelona) to check if they had demo 3DS units with OOT, but they didn't. The same old Street Fighter 4, Nintendogs and Pilotwings demos, all of which leave me quite cold in terms of the 3D effect when I have tried them. I understand a 3DS with its screen full of fingerprints on store is not the best way to judge the 3D... and I want to believe. I hope I can try OOT somewhere soon, with all the good impressions I read.

jonno394

McNum said:

I don't think they'd need to change the main save system (ie playing song of time and travelling back in time) all they'd need to do to make it more handheld friendly is replace the temporary save and quit owl save statues with a temporary save accessible by just pausing and selecting from the menu.

They can keep the whole save deletes once you reload it method the owl statues had, but by allowing to save and quit whenever you want would mean youc an play it for that 10 minute bus journey etc....

Heck, they could even add an owl statue image to the lower touch screen and just let you touch it whenever you need to save and quit with very short notice.

Foxix Von

Yeah I get that double vision/ghosting crap at almost any setting so I usually just say fuck it and crank it up. I'm not so sure if it's actually my eyes or something to do with the screen since it seems to vary depending on the angle I hold the screen at.

Top Bottom