• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

Zane said:
I think the bosses are slightly easier in the 3DS remake because of the better hit detection. Or, at least what feels like better hit detection. Seems like your jump slashes make contact much more consistently in the remake.

Also, here's Wired.com's review (full disclosure: My editor and I wrote this together)

Seems you didn't get any credit for the writing :(

Edit: I MADE A PREMATURE POST AND I FEEL BAD

The Lamp

Darkgran said:
I'm going to break down and buy a 3DS. I promised myself I wouldn't but I need to play this.

Don't do it!

I refuse to do it because then Nintendo will think that the only thing they need to do to sell 3DS hardware is to release rehashes of very old games. I can't encourage that line of thinking. I will wait until new, good 3DS software is out before I buy a 3DS and OoT to make my point. You gotta release a good, fresh software line-up, Nintendo.

Zane

malingenie said:

Well, the way it works is the person who published the post (in this case, my editor) gets the byline. But I mean, I absolutely did get credit for the parts I wrote!

dvolovets

malingenie said:
Huh? Yes, he did...
Playing the 3DS version triggered a nostalgia trip for me and for Wired.com writer John Mix Meyer. I was 18 when The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time appeared on the Nintendo 64; Meyer was 6. Despite our age difference, we were both addicted to Ocarina, and to this day rank the game among our all-time favorites.

Like college buddies reminiscing about old flames, Mix and I wrote back and forth to each other, sharing our decade-old memories of Ocarina and discussing our thoughts as we’ve been playing the 3DS remake.
Great review, by the way... can't wait to play the game myself.

Varjet said:
Just played through the first dungeon. Game looks so much smoother than it used to, but Ghoma is still the most pathetic boss ever :p
As a kid, playing that game at 4AM after getting it the midnight of my birthday, Gohma was fucking intimidating.

The Lamp said:
Don't do it!

I refuse to do it because then Nintendo will think that the only thing they need to do to sell 3DS hardware is to release rehashes of very old games. I can't encourage that line of thinking. I will wait until new, good 3DS software is out before I buy a 3DS and OoT to make my point. You gotta release a good, fresh software line-up, Nintendo.

This is no rehash, Lamp. A Nintendo Classic has received a complete graphical overhaul with 3D graphics. For those who want to experience an exceptional gaming experience again or simply are experiencing it for the first time, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D is definitely a worthy purchase and a deserving system seller.

snap0212

GiantBomb's QuickLook is up: Click me!

The Lamp said:
Don't do it!

I see where you're coming from, but people could have said the same thing when the Nintendo DS launched back in 05. Super Mario 64 was Nintendo's big game and the launch lineup wasn't that great.

The new software isn't here yet, but they announced some great titles at E3. “Luigi's Mansion 2”, for example, is one game I didn't expect to be a 3DS release. We knew about Mario 3DS and Mario Kart but there's more on the horizon. It's worth owning the platform and it doesn't matter if you buy it for the remake of a thirteen year old game, the upcoming Resident Evil game or a completely new IP from some third party. It really doesn't matter. A lot of people have never played Ocarina of Time, even people who post on GAF. It's still a great game and the remake really doesn't look like a rush-job only created to motivate people to buy the hardware. It's a very good remake of an amazing game. Why wouldn't you want to play it?

The Lamp

DoctorWho said:
This is no rehash Lamp. A Nintendo Classic has received a complete graphical overhaul with 3D graphics. For those who want to experience an exceptional gaming experience again or simply are experiencing it for the first time, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D is definitely a worthy purchase and a deserving system seller.

It's a re-release of a 13-year-old game. As stellar as the game is, I don't want Nintendo getting any funny ideas like that it's okay to supplement your system for long periods of time with just re-releases of old games.

kaskade said:

That review score annoys me for a few conflicting reasons.

Perhaps most prominently, I think "Didn't OoT orginally get a 10? If this is the definitive version of the game, WHY does it get a lower score?"

The Lamp said:
It's a re-release of a 13-year-old game. As stellar as the game is, I don't want Nintendo getting any funny ideas like that it's okay to supplement your system for long periods of time with just re-releases of old games.

Perhaps most prominently, I think "Didn't OoT orginally get a 10? If this is the definitive version of the game, WHY does it get a lower score?"

A rehash is something without significant alteration. I would say the graphical changes are significant alone. Even the new UI using the Dual Screen is a great improvement.

If they did this with a five year old game, I would agree with you. But this game is 13 years old and looks great (for a handheld).

Alrus

The Lamp said:
Don't do it!

Still with this? Aside from this and Starfox, Nintendo has shown no interest in making more remakes, and their line up for the coming months is quite good if you like Nintendo franchises (if you don't, I really don't see why you would buy their console...).

Anyway, got the game today. I haven't played OoT for years so I don't remember much about it, which makes the game more enjoyable. Graphics are pretty good (although I'm sure the 3ds can do much better), the higher framerate makes this sooo smooth, it's amazing how it makes the game more enjoyable. Motion controls are fine, you don't even need to move with the 3ds since they're pretty sensitive, I won't use them much though, it still doesn't feel precise and fast enough.

3D is okay but I prefer to play without it, the added AA is nice.

syoaran

ShockingAlberto said:
As a kid, playing that game at 4AM after getting it the midnight of my birthday, Gohma was fucking intimidating.

Going into the well was the thing that intimidated me back in the day.

While the motion controlled camera in 1st person feels kinda silly, the lock on target free look with motion makes the well feel a lot more accessible (and can create some quite cinematic looks ingame)

Alchemy

WHY ISN'T IT GOD DAMN SUNDAY YET FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

So hyped. It was probably the wrong choice to trade in my DS Lite and grab a 3DS on Tuesday because now I just look at it waiting for Ocarina of Time to be inside of it. SO HYPED MY BRAIN CAN'T FUNCTION.

The Lamp

Alrus said:
Still with this? Aside from this and Starfox, Nintendo has shown no interest in making more remakes, and their line up for the coming months is quite good if you like Nintendo franchises (if you don't, I really don't see why you would buy their console...).

Their "line up for the coming months" yes, but it's not there yet. So when those games come out, like Mario Kart, Paper Mario, Super Mario, Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion 2, etc., I might buy a 3DS to show Nintendo that I support a healthy software line-up with my hardware purchase.

Actually, I really hope they remake Majora's Mask, simply out of principle that they did Ocarina of Time. Lol.

Also as nice as the new graphics are, I think it's shameful that they tried to compare this to Mario 64 DS which actually had new content like new stars and characters, while this game really didn't add anything but new graphics and 3D. Regardless, I suppose we'll take what we can get. Nintendo can sometimes be stingy about adding stuff to their beloved franchises.

I see where you're coming from, but people could have said the same thing when the Nintendo DS launched back in 05. Super Mario 64 was Nintendo's big game and the launch lineup wasn't that great.

The new software isn't here yet, but they announced some great titles at E3. “Luigi's Mansion 2”, for example, is one game I didn't expect to be a 3DS release. We knew about Mario 3DS and Mario Kart but there's more on the horizon. It's worth owning the platform and it doesn't matter if you buy it for the remake of a thirteen year old game, the upcoming Resident Evil game or a completely new IP from some third party. It really doesn't matter. A lot of people have never played Ocarina of Time, even people who post on GAF. It's still a great game and the remake really doesn't look like a rush-job only created to motivate people to buy the hardware. It's a very good remake of an amazing game. Why wouldn't you want to play it?

I suppose you might be right. Maybe I have nothing to fear with Nintendo getting the wrong attitude about where their sales are coming from, since I bought a DS at launch with Super Mario 64 DS.

eternalb

My girlfriend is going nuts for this game. She finally forced me to play the N64 version last summer as a condition of being with her.

DragonKnight said:
I think that they are definitely going to give MM a fresh coat of paint. I mean why not? I know i'd buy it

If OoT sells, which it well, MM will definitely be redone.

GJS said:
Really loving this game so far, it's helped me get over the disappointment of not getting OoT 3D today.

I'm part way through chapter 3 which I've heard is pretty long.

LOL Wut?

Disguises

bitoriginal said:
Seriously, what the fuck. I managed to get on Club Nintendo UK, completed the survey, filled out information for the CD and everytime I click 'Complete Registration', I get the 404 Error Page. Have I now messed up my opportunity to get the CD? Arghhhhh!
I'm also having problems with getting the CD. Whenever I enter my address, it says the postal code is incorrect (which it IS). I have emailed support to see what their response is, but I have no way of completing the form now, since all I get is error messages. The only other options are to click "Skip Promotion" or close the page, both of which will probably result in me not being able to re-enter the information again.

EDIT: Nope, nothing worked :(. Let's hope Nintendo customer services pull through!

joelseph

Alchemy said:
So hyped. It was probably the wrong choice to trade in my DS Lite and grab a 3DS on Tuesday because now I just look at it waiting for Ocarina of Time to be inside of it. SO HYPED MY BRAIN CAN'T FUNCTION.

this is gaf

The Lamp said:

Standards are different today. Personally I don't think OoT is a 10 today, in fact I have no idea what it should be scored.

Am I the only person who doesn't discriminate between handheld and console gaming? I mean I play my consoles and my portables at home. In fact, I hardly take my portables anywhere. I didn't get a gameboy so that I could game anywhere--I got one because I just wanted to game.

Like if I had the game today, all my plans would be cancelled, I would head up to my room, prop up on a pillow and play the shit out of this game. I hate the bit sized gaming approach that some people take with portable gaming. This is not a game that is meant to be played in small chunks.

snap0212

Another thing I really like is that everything feels familiar but there's always something new to discover. The added details are amazing. I don't remember seeing this in the N64 version:

0zhyy.jpg

or that:

FFXDW.jpg

No spoilers at all but just tell me if you want me to remove them. :)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Today has been such a shitty damn day.
But thanks to my favorite mom 'n pop shop here in Manhattan, I was finally able to snag a copy of this...
Now to wait another shitty 3 hours until I leave work...

Mejilan said:
Today has been such a shitty damn day.
But thanks to my favorite mom 'n pop shop here in Manhattan, I was finally able to snag a copy of this...
Now to wait another shitty 3 hours until I leave work...

It will make everything better. Trust me.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
The Lamp said:

I agree with you here, although I want Nintendo to do these kinds of complete remakes because I did not start hardcore gaming until the Xbox. I had a game boy and N64 but missed most of the true gems due to not being a deep gamer.

I'd love to see more remakes along side the original content.

MrMephistoX

CoffeeJanitor said:
Standards are different today. Personally I don't think OoT is a 10 today, in fact I have no idea what it should be scored.

Easily a ten for a handheld perhaps not for a console release though.

rhino4evr

Loved the Wired review. Like Chris I was a freshman in college when OOT came out. I remember cramming for a test and then taking a break to play Zelda.

All my room mates would take turn playing..and that worked great until we got to the Water Temple. I remember it took us all night to finish that temple. When we saw the boss of that dungeon our hard work was worth it. It would have helped if we wernt stoned out of out minds too.

LOL

kaskade

CoffeeJanitor said:
That's what I think the reviewer was saying. He mentioned there are a few little things that he would have liked to have upgraded a bit.

kunonabi

Katbot said:

I don't know I was hoping that OOT 3d would have a similar effect on me since I never liked OOT but and I want to go that 25th anniversary symphony but I don't think the remake is going to win me over. The dungeons are still some of the weakest in the series, the game is still super easy, and the story,characters, and music are still unappealing to me.

Maybe if the master quest was open from the start I'd take the plunge since those dungeons were much better, well the ones I played anyway.

Disguises

snap0212 said:
Another thing I really like is that everything feels familiar but there's always something new to discover. The added details are amazing. I don't remember seeing this in the N64 version:

0zhyy.jpg

or that:

http://i.imgur.com/FFXDW.jpg

No spoilers at all but just tell me if you want me to remove them. :)
The top one was in the N64 version, it just was very hard to see I think! :)

CassSept

The more I go into the game the more I discover how Ocarina isn't as good as I remembered it was. It's actually better.
The design of the game to this day is fantastic. It's a game that is 13 years old yet the design itself isn't outdated at all. Incredible.

I'm also getting used to what I thought would be meaningless gimmicks. 3D really adds a lot to this game, more-so than I thought. Jaggies do stand out, but some of the parts are beautiful. While I don't play it in 3D all the time cause my eyes would bleed or something, there is no reason to not go full with the effect as several locations look just so amazing in 3D. Wandering around around Hyrule Field is glorious and the shots from Death Mountain are great.
Gyroscope aiming is a great addition too. So much quicker and more precise than the standard procedure once you get a grip of it.

Seriously man we've gotta knock this 'boo hoo remake' shit on the head.
Was it ok for Michael Jackson's records to be remasted?
Was it ok for Lawrence or Arabia to be restored and rereleased?
Was it ok for..... on and on and on for about 100 more examples.....?
If your answer is no, you're an idiot.
If your answer is yes then why can't Nintendo do the same?
They're not just remaking any game, they're remaking their masterpiece! How is this not a cause of celebration for all?
When The Beatles and Rolling Stones records get rereleased it's = woo hoo!
When Disney constantly pumps their old shit out over and over it's = woo hoo!
When Nintendo make the definitive version of a masterwork it's = fuck Nintendo!

How does this even make any sense?
'but but I played this years ago!' so I guess you won't be buying Star Wars on bluray or the Kubrick collection or any Nike trainers or............

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
About to update the OP with the IGN, GamePro and Wired reviews. Anything I missed?

Top Bottom