• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons/Ages 3DS VC release |OT|

zroid

Banned
I miss typed the strat, but that was basically it. Mystery seed in sling shot to turn him to ice, use it on the blade to freeze the blade, then use slingshot again on him to turn him into fire, toss ice chunk, repeat from step 2. Requires a LOT less going into the menu that way.

That's pretty neat, I definitely need to re-play that fight.

Nemesis_

So I never played Seasons but got to the end of Ages as a kid. Should I play through Ages first, or play through Seasons and use the password system so Ages feels fresher?

I'm playing through Seasons after finishing ages, and thus far it's basic as fuck compared to Ages. I think it depends on your time / psyche tbh. If you have the capacity to finish Ages first and then experience the "complete" linked story with Seasons, do that. But if you think you'll get bored after finishing one and won't move on to the other, I would just go with the one you haven't experience yet.

I'm doing write ups for each dungeon as I go, but before I do, are we doing spoilers? I identify the bosses in each write up (with the sprites) but I don't talk about how to beat them? (And I can spoiler those parts).

So, advice? :3

Re-quoting for the new page :3

chrono01

Well I did my part and purchased Oracle of Seasons/Ages.

Now, on my 3DS, I have Link's Awakening, Oracle of Seasons, Oracle of Ages, and Minish Cap. Feels good!

I need to complete a few games, though, before I jump in.

Seda

Fuck you, Maple

EDIT: HAH! I've been trying to get Maple's Heart Piece for an hour, and as soon as I post, about to give up, she drops it right next to me. Now that's all hearts in my Ages linked game, time to complete this thing. Not gonna bother getting all rings or anything like that.

Fuck you, Maple

EDIT: HAH! I've been trying to get Maple's Heart Piece for an hour, and as soon as I post, about to give up, she drops it right next to me. Now that's all hearts in my Ages linked game, time to complete this thing. Not gonna bother getting all rings or anything like that.

I just had the same problem. I finally got my last heart piece in my Seasons game. It isn't linked but I will use the password once I am done. I will go for all rings after completing both games.

Seda

Just took out the final boss. Such a simple but satisfying ending!

Playing this into the night the last couple of days ... felt like I was twelve again.

Bladenic

I'm playing through Seasons after finishing ages, and thus far it's basic as fuck compared to Ages. I think it depends on your time / psyche tbh. If you have the capacity to finish Ages first and then experience the "complete" linked story with Seasons, do that. But if you think you'll get bored after finishing one and won't move on to the other, I would just go with the one you haven't experience yet.

Good point, I really can't decide. On one hand, I could play Ages and get through it pretty quickly since I remember it pretty vividly despite playing it so long ago and then move on to Seasons for a new experience with the full linked story. But then I think I could play Seasons and use the link stuff to make Ages feel a bit fresher. I dunno.

I'll probably play Seasons first :3

Nemesis_

So I am trying to make this a "Let's Play" of sorts, but in text form. So I have finished the first dungeon.

Before I go on, I really like the idea of the Ember Seed. They seem like a more offensive or at least natural evolution of weapons like the Deku Nut and the like.

148px-Link_with_Ember_Seed.png

I'd love to see them fully realised in a 3D Zelda game, since I know sometimes Nintendo like revisiting stuff.

AGES DUNGEON #1 - THE SPIRIT'S GRAVE

Spirit%27s_Grave.png
Spirit%27s_Grave.png

Overall the first dungeon of Oracle of Ages was a little bit lacklustre with no real theme or gimmicks accompanying it's design. I was a little bit underwhelmed at how straightforward it was to navigate, there were never any moments where I was wondering around and stuff to work out what I had to do next. There were a few ghostly platforms, I guess, which was meant to tie into the whole graveyard theme but it wasn't really that great of a dungeon.

120px-Giant_Ghini_OOA.png
Pumpkin_Head.png

The bosses I also thought were really unimaginative. The first one was a simple HIT THINGS UNTIL THEY DIE boss which was so underwhelming for my first boss in this couple of games that I was really hyped for. The second boss was a little bit more imaginative - you just had to hit him around until his pumpkin dropped, then you grabbed the pumpkin (with the strength bracelet you acquired in this dungeon) and it made the spirit come out, which you then had to hit.

It was a very short dungeon and definitely no up to the standards I remember for Zelda games.

But my mission is to complete both of them so I will persist. :D

ramyeon

I wouldn't judge Zelda games off the first dungeon, they're almost always just extended tutorials. The Deku Tree dungeon in OoT is ridiculously short on replays, for example. It'll almost certainly get better.

Alrus

Huh, first dungeons in Zeldas are always fairly straightforward, they're not really meant to be challenging at all. Same with bosses (but overall, Ages bosses are pretty weak).

Nemesis_

I wouldn't judge Zelda games off the first dungeon, they're almost always just extended tutorials. The Deku Tree dungeon in OoT is ridiculously short on replays, for example. It'll almost certainly get better.

Huh, first dungeons in Zeldas are always fairly straightforward, they're not really meant to be challenging at all. Same with bosses (but overall, Ages bosses are pretty weak).

Oh yes, I totally agree! I mean I haven't played a Zelda game since the week before Skyward Sword came out, so the "conventions" of the franchise are a little bit blurry with me.

But don't stress! As I said, I'm playing through both of them regardless, I'm just vomiting my thoughts as I complete each dungeon. :)

Salsa

alright, I was gonna start on GBC but I realized I cant deal with no backlight man, lol

gonna buy just one for now tho

not sure wich to buy first. I remember liking Seasons better but in terms of order and advantages they're all a blur of the same game at this point

wasnt there an area in ages you couldn't access until you played Seasons? guess I should go with seasons first?

wasnt there an area in ages you couldn't access until you played Seasons? guess I should go with seasons first?

There's a bonus dungeon in each that replaces the respective heroes cave where you get your sword (in the first game you play) with a late game dungeon in the second game you play. Each game has a unique bonus dungeon for being played second, so in that regard, it doesn't really matter.

I have to do the fucking Goron dance minigame twice? How 'bout no.

Edit: I'm dumb, you do have to do it twice.

I just save scummed it the second time :/

Salsa

think im gonna get Ages first since it's the one I remember the least

and also since I gather the linked items would be put to better use in the more combat-heavy Seasons

georly

Playing seasons for the first time since it came out and I'm stuck on a miniboss and don't know what to do. I'm so happy! I havent been stuck in a zelda game in FOREVER.

Picked these up the other day, never had a chance to play on the GBC because I didn't own one back in 2001.

Really enjoying Ages right now, Crescent Island was kind of annoying but I'm past it so no big deal.

Only complaint is that some of the music is bland (and downright annoying) for Zelda standards.

lol Seasons Dungeon 8. First, some boss that requires you to open the menu about 20 times. Then the worst slide-the-block puzzle I've ever seen. They are annoying on their own, but I'm usually patient enough because if you find the solution they are usually pretty satisfying. But with Link ALSO slipping like fucking crazy while you try to arrange this shit and concentrate... just ... wow
pWvrxFo.gif

(Plus, it's featuring the only truly annoying song in the whole game)

If that is the puzzle nature I should expect from Ages, I dread it already :lol
Amazingly great game otherwise, after LA didn't really do much for me (first time last year). Off to the finale.

Playing seasons for the first time since it came out and I'm stuck on a miniboss and don't know what to do. I'm so happy! I havent been stuck in a zelda game in FOREVER.

Funny, I was thinking that in Ages when i got stuck on a puzzle.

I thought, "Blaaaah, this fetch quest is so menial! I just want to explore more areas..." But then I realized that I was actually having difficulty with a Zelda title. I then smiled and forged ahead.

Roto13

I don't remember this blurring effect in the Black Tower. At least, I assume it's an effect and not an emulation bug. :p Much blurrier than usual.

Nemesis_

AGES DUNGEON #2 - WING DUNGEON

This dungeon was all around much better in terms of what I look for in a Zelda dungeon. It's much less linear than the Spirit's Grave was, and the puzzles were actually quite well put together I thought. Utilising the panels that reacted to jumping (and thus adapted to the collectible in this dungeon, the Roc Feather) were some really cool stuff that I can imagine would've been impressive back when the game was actually released. The room where you had to "uncover" the little blobs in particular was cool, and so was the flame and statue puzzles.

I did have a bit of trouble getting through as I was a bit slow this morning, so this dungeon took me way longer than it should have. WAYYYYYY longer. And I liked how there wasn't really a set path and I felt like this was most obvious by the fact that I got to the end of the dungeon and realised I missed a group of rooms and subsequently a small key so I was so lost for quite some time. But eventually I got through with a friend's help :D But the non-linearity of the dungeon wasn't my biggest worry.....

Both of the boss battles in this dungeon really seem to bring it down. The Swoop battle was really fucking annoying but I liked how it kind of foreshadowed the Roc Feather being in the game. It was so simplistic but I kept falling down or dying quickly so I had to go through the entire process more than I should have.

The same thing happened for me with the Head Thwomp, who I didn't realise wasn't randomised when you dropped a bomb inside of him so I kept just throwing them until a friend of mine once again informed me that you had to drop them during a particular moment. An owl statue does give this hint, but I thought he was just telling me when he takes damage and I was getting super angry because I seriously thought the battle was randomised.

If these boss battles weren't so tedious to "get back to" when you died I would say this was quite a good dungeon, but at the moment it's just good, not very good. Maybe I should have abused save states more :(

These posts aren't as nice without the images :(

Has anyone gotten Club Nintendo surveys for these games yet?

I bought them when they came out, but I have yet to have their quizzes pop up on my Club Nintendo list.
Only 25 days left for me to get to Platinum and I only need 100 more! D:

These two Zeldas, Animal Crossing, and maybe one more VC game should be enough to bump me over.

Absolutely brilliant games. I followed them obsessively ever since they were part of the ill-fated Mystical Seed trilogy, savoring every scrap of information or screenshot in the run up to their release. The fact that there were TWO games made in the image of Link's Awakening was a dream come true for me.

Bladenic

Bought both and started Seasons. Finished dungeon 2, really fun thus far. I also kind of like the combat focus instead of puzzles so far.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I've barely had time to play. Only got past the first dungeon in Seasons, and have only made enough time to play in twenty minute bursts since then, so I keep on forgetting what to do, lol.

Edit : Oh wait, I just remembered I found the second dungeon last night! That's what happens when you play for short bursts right before bed -- you forget stuff, haha.

bon

Just realized I haven't played these games in over 10 years. I can't believe the GBC was so long ago.

I'm starting with Oracle of Ages now because I did Seasons first last time. The Maku Tree is a lot more kawaii than I remembered.

Bladenic

Finished third dungeon last night weeee. Guess I'll go exploring or whatever, I'm sure there should be some heart pieces I can collect (only have 2 so far).

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Has anyone gotten Club Nintendo surveys for these games yet?

I bought them when they came out, but I have yet to have their quizzes pop up on my Club Nintendo list.
Only 25 days left for me to get to Platinum and I only need 100 more! D:

These two Zeldas, Animal Crossing, and maybe one more VC game should be enough to bump me over.

Yes. Bought them the day they came out and I have the surveys now. Scroll through your list of to-do items. They should be there.

Unfortunately, the Oracle curse has struck me again, but this time in reverse... I started and beat Seasons first (when I was younger, it was Ages then Seasons) and now half way through ages I'm burnt out.

These are great games, but it'll likely be another 6+ months before I work up the will to go back and finish Ages again.

Roto13

I was on my way to buy a potion before doing the true final dungeon in Ages and I immediately ran into Maple and she dropped one for me. Thanks, Maple.

Roto13

Well, I just finished ages. Games are as great as I vaguely remember them being. Some neat little graphical effects that are impressive for being a GAme Boy game, even if it is Game Boy Color exclusive.

My average playtime for Seasons was 3 hours (including sleep mode) but it dropped down to 49 minutes thanks to switching back and forth between games to use Secrets. :p

Got to the same spot that defeated me last time I played Seasons - the boss in level 5 - Unicorn's Cave. I just don't seem to have the coordination to kill the boss without hitting myself with the spiked ball.

I will do it, just have to buy a potion I think.

zroid

Banned
Currently in the middle of that melancholic phase when you're right near the end of a game but don't want to actually finish it. :(

I will definitely get 'er done before AC comes out though. I committed to that!

TEJ

I'm almost at dungeon 6 in seasons, and I was wondering how exactly do you link games via the 3DS? I bought ages too but I plan on playing it after seasons.

I'm almost at dungeon 6 in seasons, and I was wondering how exactly do you link games via the 3DS? I bought ages too but I plan on playing it after seasons.

When you beat one of the games, it will give you a password that you can input when creating a new file in the other.

Roto13

Put in a password to start a linked game, then find more passwords and use them to unlock stuff.

Seda

It's all password based. When you beat Seasons, you get a 20 character password.

When you switch to Ages, select 'Secret' and enter this password. It'll make your new Ages file a linked game.

In your linked Ages game, you'll find NPCs who give you other codes (5 characters). What you do with these is you load up your now-completed Seasons file and give the code to the person you're instructed to. You'll get some item or upgrade for your Seasons game. You'll then get another code for your in-progress linked game. You give this to Farore inside of the Maku tree, to get the bonus in that game as well.

It's not as hard as it may sound, and on the 3DS, swapping between the two games is incredibly quick and painless. These 'Secrets' allow you to get cool things, you can get a sword upgrade halfway through your Ages file, for example.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Finally had some time to dig into Seasons a bit more. Just beat the second dungeon. It's okay so far. I like it, but not exactly loving it.

Does anyone else feel like Link's movement speed is slower than in Link's Awakening? Maybe it's just that I'm so used to getting the Roc's Feather early and jumping around, but walking from screen to screen feels like a slog sometimes.

Finally had some time to dig into Seasons a bit more. Just beat the second dungeon. It's okay so far. I like it, but not exactly loving it.

Does anyone else feel like Link's movement speed is slower than in Link's Awakening? Maybe it's just that I'm so used to getting the Roc's Feather early and jumping around, but walking from screen to screen feels like a slog sometimes.

I'd say it's a placebo effect from not having roc's feather. I noticed it a bit too, you just get it so much earlier in LA.

TEJ

It's all password based. When you beat Seasons, you get a 20 character password.

When you switch to Ages, select 'Secret' and enter this password. It'll make your new Ages file a linked game.

In your linked Ages game, you'll find NPCs who give you other codes (5 characters). What you do with these is you load up your now-completed Seasons file and give the code to the person you're instructed to. You'll get some item or upgrade for your Seasons game. You'll then get another code for your in-progress linked game. You give this to Farore inside of the Maku tree, to get the bonus in that game as well.

It's not as hard as it may sound, and on the 3DS, swapping between the two games is incredibly quick and painless. These 'Secrets' allow you to get cool things, you can get a sword upgrade halfway through your Ages file, for example.

cool. what are the other benefits to a linked game?

Top Bottom