• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons/Ages 3DS VC release |OT|

LukeTim

As someone who could only really find time for Minish Cap - as far as 2D Zelda goes - and has never tried the Oracle games, is it worth giving these a try?

I really want to like the 2D Zeldas, and in Minish Cap I do, but for some reason I've never been able to get as invested in them as the 3D ones... A lot of people seem to really love the Oracles so I'm wondering if these might be for me.

Not opening up a can of worms, but I'm enjoying the Oracles more than I ever did the DS abominations games. Also, strength bracelet being equippable was a good idea because the GBC had two buttons.

Oh, no doubt. I only kinda liked the first DS one and couldn't finish the second because of the trains and the flute.
I just meant the equipable touch screen menu so you don't need to constantly jump to the menu.

I'm just used to the Ocarina strength bracelet where it just augments your existing ability. I know there are some rocks and pots you have to lift, but it's annoying to waste 50% of your equipment slot just to lift a rock. You should just walk into it to auto-pick up or something.

Lucent

I just beat the first dungeon in Seasons and I'm already stuck. lol. I talked to everyone in the village and nobody tells me anything useful. I can't advance because I can't burn trees. I can't find anymore seeds for doing so. =/

Oh, no doubt. I only kinda liked the first DS one and couldn't finish the second because of the trains and the flute.
I just meant the equipable touch screen menu so you don't need to constantly jump to the menu.

I'm just used to the Ocarina strength bracelet where it just augments your existing ability. I know there are some rocks and pots you have to lift, but it's annoying to waste 50% of your equipment slot just to lift a rock. You should just walk into it to auto-pick up or something.

I guess there was no way round it unless they sort of made the lifting rock contextual. The item switching in LA/Oracles is definitely cumbersome, but they did what they could with the technology I guess. The gameplay certainly seems more based around different items too.

Seda

I just beat the first dungeon in Seasons and I'm already stuck. lol. I talked to everyone in the village and nobody tells me anything useful. I can't advance because I can't burn trees. I can't find anymore seeds for doing so. =/

Should be able to get more ember seeds south of the ring shop.

bronson

Been playing Ages recently. First time through and it's pretty good.

The music is really terrible though. Outside of the main theme, it's just screeching, lifeless stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi-CS-pw8lg&list=PL2D4038B94BC85B3D&index=3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvkqkyzzxxU&list=PL2D4038B94BC85B3D&index=9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffgF-LzP_Jk&list=PL2D4038B94BC85B3D&index=8

I get that the GB speakers were limited, but I don't remember being driven to turn the sound down in Link's Awakening.

The music is really terrible though. Outside of the main theme, it's just screeching, lifeless stuff like this:

I get that the GB speakers were limited, but I don't remember being driven to turn the sound down in Link's Awakening.

I find it mostly fine, and some music's great, but the dungeon music is just dirge. Really a letdown. I'd rather they had just re-used LA's dungeon theme.

zroid

Banned
Well I haven't played Ages yet, but Seasons has a pretty awesome soundtrack. I was really impressed with how they managed to arrange some great familiar (and new) tunes into the GBC's sound engine.

Bought both of these games last night!

Playing through Seasons first!

I'm really enjoying this game so far. I just beat minish cap yesterday, that was the first 2d Zelda that I have completed.

2d Zelda's can be quite frustrating, so I'm occasionally looking up walkthroughs to help me out. It makes these games much more enjoyable.

khaaan

Man, some of you guys are speedy. I haven't had a whole lot of time to play but I'm still only on the 4th Dungeon in Seasons.

Are we posting our favorite songs? Tarm Ruins

jackal27

Banned
As someone who could only really find time for Minish Cap - as far as 2D Zelda goes - and has never tried the Oracle games, is it worth giving these a try?

I really want to like the 2D Zeldas, and in Minish Cap I do, but for some reason I've never been able to get as invested in them as the 3D ones... A lot of people seem to really love the Oracles so I'm wondering if these might be for me.

I would say go for it. The Oracles games are designed by the same team who made Minish Cap.

gerudoman

Wasn't planning to use a guide in this walkthrough but man, Ages 5th boss was driving me mad. I didn't remember that
you can freeze the little clouds by hitting them with your sword.

Khaz

That is easily the most annoying part of the game, but understandable since they only had two buttons to work with. Also really strange that Y is assigned to Select but X is not assigned to Start. Would've been nice for as often as you go in the inventory.

Man, I've been wondering that since the release of Link's awakening. Why remap Select and not Start? I guess Nintendo doesn't like things to be too perfect.

Seda

Just beat the 4th dungeon in an Ages linked game. Went from the Wooden Sword to the Master Sword in about ten seconds. That + Red Ring, Link is unstoppable now.

Im going to disagree with you. Its probably the nostalgia talking but I still find the music quite enjoyable.

Ourobolus

Banned
Almost done with the 8th dungeon in Ages. Can't seem to figure out how to get to the ancient tablet in the bottom-right corner. I'll try again when I get home.

So far, I've really enjoyed the game. I beat Seasons back when it came out (I'll totally play it after Ages again, though), but never got around to Ages. So far the only real annoyance has come from Jabu-Jabu's Belly (seriously, fuck that level...so irritating) and early on Crescent Island when I didn't know you could PUSH those seeds around. I was running around for hours trying to figure out how the hell I was going to get to the Time Portal without BOTH the shovel and bracelet.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'm at that infamous Crescent Island scenario where you lose all your gear in Ages. Pure tedium. Neat idea, but it takes the GB games' biggest flaw - constant switching of items - and makes an entire playable sequence out of it.

I finished Seasons. I don't know how to beat the final boss's phase where he has the electrified shield, so I did something really cheap and hit him + his shield at the same time. It cost me like 20 hearts to do it (using potion), but hey, I beat him! :p

The boss's next phase is awesome, though. One of my top favorite Zelda bosses ever. I was actually able to jump from platform to platform, which sadly caused the fight to be shorter, but made it extra cool.

(I worded my post in a way to avoid spoilers.)

Guess I'll buy Ages later!

I'm at that infamous Crescent Island scenario where you lose all your gear in Ages. Pure tedium. Neat idea, but it takes the GB games' biggest flaw - constant switching of items - and makes an entire playable sequence out of it.

Ugh I hate that part, but not because of the item switching. I just hate parts in games where you lose your items.

It makes me want to murder every annoying thieving bastard lizard on the island. I would slaughter them all.

"Oh... this... I was going to give this to you."

I will drown you lizard.

khaaan

I finished Seasons. I don't know how to beat the final boss's phase where he has the electrified shield, so I did something really cheap and hit him + his shield at the same time. It cost me like 20 hearts to do it (using potion), but hey, I beat him! :p

The boss's next phase is awesome, though. One of my top favorite Zelda bosses ever. I was actually able to jump from platform to platform, which sadly caused the fight to be shorter, but made it extra cool.

The crystal-like shield? You can get around it by

knocking it away with the Rod of Seasons.

Downhome

I have been a hardcore Nintendo fan since the NES released and have owned every Nintendo console over the years. I am also a huge fan of the Zelda franchise, some of my favorite games ever.

I have no clue why I never got around to owning and playing either of these two games, especially considering that Link to the Fast may very well be my favorite Zelda game of them all.

Then again, I never even played Majora's Mask. Again, I have no clue why that one slipped by me.

I have no clue why I never got around to owning and playing either of these two games, especially considering that Link to the Fast may very well be my favorite Zelda game of them all.

Then again, I never even played Majora's Mask. Again, I have no clue why that one slipped by me.

I think it's because the Oracle games were released very late into the GBC's life-cycle.

zroid

Banned
Seasons dungeon 8 midboss is badly designed. Having You have to open up your item screen like 20 times.

MAN, you ain't kidding!

god damn. at least it's not hard once you know what to do.

ugghhhh this dungeon is a real pain in the balls. too much ice and platforming!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Seasons dungeon 8 midboss is badly designed. Having You have to open up your item screen like 20 times.

These games and Link's Awakening should really receive a 3DS upgrade / remake. Being able to use the touch screen to quickly swap items would be great. Or enable the additional buttons for more equipped items at once.

MAN, you ain't kidding!

god damn. at least it's not hard once you know what to do.

ugghhhh this dungeon is a real pain in the balls. too much ice and platforming!

Wait... is that the fire ice mini boss? All you need is the slingshot set to mystery seeds and the power brace... No need to switch.

Use seeds to turn him to ice, use seeds on ice blade, pick up ice and hit him with it. Rinse and repeat. If you don't have the large seed bag you may need to switch to sword just to pick up more seeds.

Beat Seasons last night, started ages and already got the first 2 dungeons done (I beat ages as a kid but not seasons, so now I'm in a place I know I'll blow through). It helps to transfer over rings, I had the red ring for 2X damage and I'm just plowing through the dungeons (bosses and all) like nothing.

The crystal-like shield? You can get around it by

knocking it away with the Rod of Seasons.

Ah, that's right, I remember now! Thanks.
I guess it has to have some use other than only on tree stumps.

Wait... is that the fire ice mini boss? All you need is the slingshot set to mystery seeds and the power brace... No need to switch.

Huh, you can beat him that way? Here's how I did it:
- Mystery seed satchel in one hand, Ember seed slingshot in the other hand
- Toss a mystery seed on him to turn to ice, then hit with Ember seed
- After the boss recovers from the hit, he ALWAYS goes right next to you for a split second then goes elsewhere.
- While the boss is next to you, toss a Mystery seed at it, then hit with Ember seed.
- Boss will go next to you again. Repeat process.

In doing this, the boss never actually gets the chance to attack (assuming you quickly hit with the Ember seed Slingshot) and the fight is over within seconds.

Wow... So I guess there are multiple ways to defeat some bosses. I like this game a little more now!

Currently on the road to the eighth dungeon in Seasons. This play through has been incredible. I was playing SS but have dropped it completely in favor of these. Right now I am just trying to figure out who to give this dang megaphone to so that I can finish the trade sequence.

Seda

Currently on the road to the eighth dungeon in Seasons. This play through has been incredible. I was playing SS but have dropped it completely in favor of these. Right now I am just trying to figure out who to give this dang megaphone to so that I can finish the trade sequence.

There's somebody who could use some help
waking up, around Mount Cucco

It is very easy to miss who to give the megaphone to.

Vague hint:
The recipient is in a cave.
A more specific hint:
The recipient is in the mountains.

Seda

Well dang. I feel dumb. Thanks Seda and Why Would You. I guess it does make sense in retrospect.

Even if you put 2 and 2 together and realize he's the person you 'give' the megaphone to, the problem is you may remember seeing him in a cave, but since all caves look the same, no idea where to actually go.

Bladenic

So I never played Seasons but got to the end of Ages as a kid. Should I play through Ages first, or play through Seasons and use the password system so Ages feels fresher?

oatmeal

Banned
Bought them yesterday, I have the carts still...got far in Ages, but never Seasons. I'll just start from scratch on Seasons probably...and then go to Ages.

Roto13

Even if you put 2 and 2 together and realize he's the person you 'give' the megaphone to, the problem is you may remember seeing him in a cave, but since all caves look the same, no idea where to actually go.

I remembered seeing him in the mountains and I knew to come back when I had the megaphone, but for some reason it took me forever to find him the second time.

zroid

Banned
Use seeds to turn him to ice, use seeds on ice blade, pick up ice and hit him with it. Rinse and repeat. If you don't have the large seed bag you may need to switch to sword just to pick up more seeds.

Huh, that's different. I was switching between shooting him with Mystery Seeds when fire and Ember Seeds when ice, while dodging all his attacks with Roc's Cape.

There's somebody who could use some help
waking up, around Mount Cucco

I know I've played too many games / watched too many movies when the first thing I thought of when I saw a megaphone is "wake someone up".

Huh, that's different. I was switching between shooting him with Mystery Seeds when fire and Ember Seeds when ice, while dodging all his attacks with Roc's Cape.

I know I've played too many games / watched too many movies when the first thing I thought of when I saw a megaphone is "wake someone up".

I miss typed the strat, but that was basically it. Mystery seed in sling shot to turn him to ice, use it on the blade to freeze the blade, then use slingshot again on him to turn him into fire, toss ice chunk, repeat from step 2. Requires a LOT less going into the menu that way.

Seda

I miss typed the strat, but that was basically it. Mystery seed in sling shot to turn him to ice, use it on the blade to freeze the blade, then use slingshot again on him to turn him into fire, toss ice chunk, repeat from step 2. Requires a LOT less going into the menu that way.

I think this is one of those things I learned a while ago that blew my mind, only to have forgotten about it, having beat him while switching between mystery and ember seeds.

Eusis

Finally getting into Ages after screwing up and resetting the game when trying to save (this arrangement's actually smarter than LA's, but the last thing you want Saving swapped with is soft reset), and man it really makes me wish the 3DS kept the D-Pad above and the Analog nub below, I got adjusted to that in the end on PSP but the D-Pad's more of a pain when below. Ah well, analog WORKS but it doesn't FEEL right so I end up falling back on the D-Pad anyway.

GG-Duo

I've at the point after the 4th Seasons dungeon... And I feel like my Item Trade quest is stuck. I only have the Pan, but there's people looking for shit everywhere. Oil, Bell, Fish, BigGoron wanted to be warm..... Etc.
I'm not sure what to do on the ghost ship either.

Nemesis_

I'm doing write ups for each dungeon as I go, but before I do, are we doing spoilers? I identify the bosses in each write up (with the sprites) but I don't talk about how to beat them? (And I can spoiler those parts).

So, advice? :3

Top Bottom