• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Red

got the game today since i had a kmart $20 giftcard and i'm already stuck. on the birdrace, what the fuck am i doing wrong that i keep sinking down? i turbo to get closer to the yellow bird, then my bird just starts flapping its wings and doesn't move. if i dive bomb and then come back up, he loses his momentum eventually as well.

i wish they didn't put crap like this into zelda. that and the storyline, which i couldn't care less about, are getting the game off to a bad start for me. they should let us skip the story parts like most games do. it's unfortunate because the wii+ implementation seems to be pretty sweet. the "semi" dungeon to find the bird shows a lot of promise if only i could get to the real game.

Flap the bird's wings to go higher. Isn't that part of the tutorial? I thought there was even a button prompt that shows you what to do on-screen.

Skyward Sword felt like a bigger game to me compared to TP in almost every way, even world size. I haven't played TP since it came out though and I was somewhat bored by the game at times (only felt that when I had to do the one fetch crap in SS). Content wise I feel it is no contest, SS is just a massive game and I clocked in 40 hours when I finished it, not even getting everything. There was also a lot more story in SS. Though I did feel like the music might have been better in TP (again this is based on memory, but there is that one section of the game that you will know what I am talking about and that music still sticks with me).
Twilight Princess had more ground to cover and bigger dungeons. I'd say Skyward Sword has the more substantial content while traveling, however.

Disagree on the music as well. SS knocks it out of the park. TP was okay. I'm not sure what song you're talking about? The Zora Queen's theme? Midna's theme? They were both alright, but not really tunes that stuck with me.

Twilight Princess took me almost exactly 45 hours my first playthrough to achieve 100%. SS shouldn't take that long, unless something happens to more than double my play time from between dungeon 5 and the end of the game. Of course that doesn't prove anything, as everyone will play through these games at a different pace.

on the birdrace, what the fuck am i doing wrong that i keep sinking down? i turbo to get closer to the yellow bird, then my bird just starts flapping its wings and doesn't move. if i dive bomb and then come back up, he loses his momentum eventually as well.

How are you holding the remote? It sounds like you are trying to "pull up" but not actually flapping your wings. You need to shake the remote up and down (imagine you're rapping someone on the head or cracking a whip) to rise.

RagnarokX

got the game today since i had a kmart $20 giftcard and i'm already stuck. on the birdrace, what the fuck am i doing wrong that i keep sinking down? i turbo to get closer to the yellow bird, then my bird just starts flapping its wings and doesn't move. if i dive bomb and then come back up, he loses his momentum eventually as well.

i wish they didn't put crap like this into zelda. that and the storyline, which i couldn't care less about, are getting the game off to a bad start for me. they should let us skip the story parts like most games do. it's unfortunate because the wii+ implementation seems to be pretty sweet. the "semi" dungeon to find the bird shows a lot of promise if only i could get to the real game.

Zelda explains how to fly. Flap the wiimote to go higher, dive to speed up. The bird is flapping because you are trying to gain altitude without flapping and slowing down. The flying controls are great.

bionic77

Shake wii mote which causes bird to fly higher. The remote is really sensitive so make subtle movements to change direction. To gain speed dive often and use the attack (A button) for extra speed boost.

Also, if you are having problems with the bird race PM me when you get to the first boss. He is going to eat your lunch.

yeah i did the tutorial but didn't have issues at that time. i am pointing the wiimote down and then up real quick but not in a constant continuous motion. i'll try what you said, thanks bro's!

The Virtual Console versions of the games are flawless (unlike the Zelda Collectors Disc version of Majora's Mask...ugh).

I remember it froze up on me (for the 4th time) on the Water Temple and I was just like "fuck it" and bought the VC version. Soooo much better.

Alucard

Banned
Also, don't flap like a mad man. Do controlled movements at the speed of the bird's giant wings. I agree that the flying is badly done, but I'm on the other side of the fence in relation to the story. I feel like a kid again playing this game and interacting with its characters.

bionic77

Twilight Princess had more ground to cover and bigger dungeons. I'd say Skyward Sword has the more substantial content while traveling, however.

Disagree on the music as well. SS knocks it out of the park. TP was okay. I'm not sure what song you're talking about? The Zora Queen's theme? Midna's theme? They were both alright, but not really tunes that stuck with me.

Twilight Princess took me almost exactly 45 hours my first playthrough to achieve 100%. SS shouldn't take that long, unless something happens to more than double my play time from between dungeon 5 and the end of the game.
Was talking about Midna's theme. I really loved that part of the game. I liked the music in SS, but it was not something that really stood out to me (unlike say a Mario Galaxy).

We had exact opposite experiences in playtime. SS took me 40+ hours and I only had 15 hearts when I finished. I finished TP in less than 30 (again not 100% it, in fact I don't think I ever got everything in that game).

I don't understand why everyone says Ganon was tacked onto TP. He is mentioned as the "master" the whole game. At the midway point in the game he appears and clearly becomes the main goal of Zant.
I see zero difference between how Ganon was handled in TP and how the demise is handled in this game. At least in TP its actually Ganon and not fake guy named something else but is clearly Ganon.

RagnarokX

yeah i did the tutorial but didn't have issues at that time. i am pointing the wiimote down and then up real quick but not in a constant continuous motion. i'll try what you said, thanks bro's!

You don't want to aim up unless whatever you are trying to get to is really close because you will kill your momentum really fast. Flap when you want to go up.

Red

Ganon isn't really ever mentioned as a "master." No one knows where Zant is getting his powers from until at least the halfway point. He doesn't make any mention of Ganon. Maybe he says something about his god? I remember a line about that, but that's much different from calling him "master."

Varna

I may be the only one who likes Fi. I mean sure she goes overboard but most of the time she is pretty helpful.

Not helpful at all. She does not say anything that isn't blatantly obvious. She is just there to remind you that Nintendo thinks you are stupid.

I actually have to amend my earlier comments on SS's music. I said that it was good but not especially memorable. "Romance" is memorable. In fact, I think it's as good as anything on TP's soundtrack and would fit among WW's best. It's just that I tried to block most of the tutorial from my memory, and some good things had to go out with the bad.

I could say similar things about "Fi's Theme."

bionic77

Not helpful at all. She does not say anything that isn't blatantly obvious. She is just there to remind you that Nintendo thinks you are stupid.
Not helpful for people playing Zelda games for the past 25 years, but I am sure the kids who are 10 and under who never played a Zelda game before will need a lot of those hints.

I didn't mind her except the really slow speed of the text. Reminded me of a Dragon Quest game...

Pachinko

Well I polished off the 5th dungeon, loved the boss there, even if he was very easy. I was worried I'd end up dying and possibly have to go back to skyloft for a potion but these fears were unjustified- I started that fight with 2 hearts and ended it with 8.

Still really liking this game outside of a handful of niggling issues, the more I think about it the less I liked the first boss, it just about ruins the game before it even really gets going. Just a little bit more assistance there would have been nice, it's not like it was impossible to figure it out just more cumbersome than it needed to be since you could actually get up to that point without really using your sword the way the game intends you to.

Also the Harp, my gosh the harp. The wind baton was fun to mess about with, the ocarina was simple to play , even howling at the moon made me laugh at least. The harp hurts my wrist and frustrates me when it doesn't quite work- namely the subquest at the pumpkin patch where you have to strum with the audience, the game seems to have a quick tempo but the barkeep tells you to go slow, I've made it through the whole song but failed to impress 3 times. Urgh.

Also getting to the birds nest in skyloft, link seems to fall down far too quickly to ever possibly land there.

Niggling complaints out of the nearly 30 hours I've spent with the game though.

apana

I don't like how she keeps popping up all the time, but her actual advice seems to usually work for me. I may be biased though because I love her theme and the way she came into the game.

RagnarokX

To be fair, Fi is probably partially responsible for the game being as complex as it is since she helps the novices, but judging by some of the complaints I've seen about this game it sounds like she didn't give ENOUGH hints. :p

All of the videos and guides I've seen have people fighting a certain boss
The Imprisoned
in a needlessly over-complicated manner.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I just wanted to ask these questions again since I didn't get any responses.
Regarding the Trigger Digger game...
What do you get if you dig up all the rupees without blowing up? Is it even worth doing? I get that it's like Minesweeper, but with no firm rules, just loose random guidelines about what rupees are even on the board and how bombs tend to be closer to the high value ones. I tried for awhile, but there's so much luck involved, it's infuriating.

Also,
what do you get for beating the times in the Silent Realm reruns?

I'm kind of annoyed with how the game so often rewards you with mid-level treasures or items that I've already bought. It was clearly stupid of me to collect and use rupees early on in the game, since half of the stuff I bought is then gifted to you through Goddess Cubes or whatever.

apana

Not helpful for people playing Zelda games for the past 25 years, but I am sure the kids who are 10 and under who never played a Zelda game before will need a lot of those hints.

I didn't mind her except the really slow speed of the text. Reminded me of a Dragon Quest game...

And here I was thinking everybody was using those hints once in a while. I like the way hints work in this game. It's not too specific, just a general comment that points you in the right direction. I also like her attitude, I was getting a bit tired of the whole spunky sidekick thing.

jackdoe

Funnily enough, you could hit B to speed up her text. Which, unless I'm mistaken, is the ONLY speech in the game that you could speed up. I've mashed B with every other character and the text remains slow as molasses at times.

Red

So, out of curiosity, just how open is this world? I'm not sure if I can finish TP, I have Skyward Sword unopened whispering my name.

It's a lot more linear and straightforward in design than Twilight Princess. The overworld really isn't much of one, but travel within it is mercifully brief, and the "underworld," I guess you'd call it, is really like a set of large, simple dungeons that contain smaller, more complex dungeons within them.

If you're looking for something engaging and active though, SS has TP beat. Everything from the forests to the sky feels more alive and full of energy. There are far fewer dead spots.

If you've played Wind Waker, the sky is similarly littered with inconsequential islands, though travel is much faster and it takes up less space overall. The act of traveling is also more exciting, since you don't simply set off on course for a straight line and wait.

So, out of curiosity, just how open is this world? I'm not sure if I can finish TP, I have Skyward Sword unopened whispering my name.

It's probably the least open world in a console Zelda. The areas are more dungeon-like, which means you reach them in a fixed order and, at least the first time through, proceed through them along a set path.

AniHawk

the surface segments are extremely linear, as they're meant to be since they're essentially pre-dungeon dungeons. the sky is really, really empty. aside from skyloft, there are about 3-4 destinations for minigames and quests, and then about a dozen islands that are small obstacle courses.

bionic77

Funnily enough, you could hit B to speed up her text. Which, unless I'm mistaken, is the ONLY speech in the game that you could speed up. I've mashed B with every other character and the text remains slow as molasses at times.

Fuuuuuuuu.....

I really wish I knew that last week...

ultron87

Is it just me or does the game totally attempt to mislead you regarding (post dungeon 3 minor spoiler)
the location of the Windmill Propeller?

"It fells beneath the clouds." *camera pan to the green beam of light*

"Surely no one can get it now." *still on the nearby green beam of light*

Surely it must be down in the forest.

Nope.

watershed

Banned

I think you hold both a and b at the same time. Some people say a some people say b so I just hold both and it works for all text.

Varna

No kid is that stupid.

To be fair, Fi is probably partially responsible for the game being as complex as it is since she helps the novices, but judging by some of the complaints I've seen about this game it sounds like she didn't give ENOUGH hints. :p

This has to be a joke. The only "complex" part of the game is mastering the controls and she does not give you a single piece of advice with that. All she does is drag the game through the mud.

apana

Is it just me or does the game totally attempt to mislead you regarding (post dungeon 3 minor spoiler)

Nope.

Yep, I didn't fall for it though cuz I was too lazy to go down there and knew that robot clue meant something.

Anth0ny

Nope.

I noticed that too lol.

But then I remembered seeing it at the volcano. So I go pick it up... and I can't. I must have phased out when the dude tells you to go to the upgrade dude so he could give you the robot. Why couldn't Link carry that propeller himself again?

Finished my review! I won't post it until the morning, but here's the concluding paragraph along with a "just to be safe" thing spoiler tagged.

Me said:
Despite the flaws in the game, I left the title feeling like it was my favorite 3D Zelda. I make no claims that this will be a universal opinion, as reviews fall to both sides for more reasons than simply agreeing or disagreeing about the controls. There are moments of genuine, intended laughter and periods of out and out frustration. Mechanics that I ended up truly enjoying will likely be hated by some, such as
the tense and frightening Silent Realm, a repeated section that places players entirely defenseless while they collect certain items.
But it doesn’t matter. Zelda games are Zelda games. Even when they change, you probably have a good idea ahead of time if you will be able to ignore the crashing lows for the dizzying highs. You probably know by now if you would never be able to stand it. Those who are willing to take the leap, however, may find that there is an experience buried beneath the clouds that they will have a hard time forgetting.

RagnarokX

No kid is that stupid.

This has to be a joke. The only "complex" part of the game is mastering the controls and she does not give you a single piece of advice with that. All she does is drag the game through the mud.

I mean they could have catered to the novices by dumbing down everything instead of putting in a slightly annoying sidekick.

Nope.
No, because right after that
Fi gives you the dowsing option for it. Plus it was at the volcano the first time you went there.

emb

No kid is that stupid.

I feel like most kids that are able to read will also be able to figure these things out on their own. I guess that's under the assumption that they occasionally play video games like many (the majority of?) kids these days.

I didn't really care that what she said might have made the game too easy or whatever, just quit making me stop everything and listen to you. Have the text pop up while I'm running around or something.

fernoca

Nice ending paragraph Alberto. Summarizes my feelings so far; though I'm at the last boss (well, hope it's is the last boss :p)

Regarding that "post dungeon 3 minor spoiler".
In my case, I didn't felt I was misled or something. I never saw it at where it was on Eldin, and I went to Eldin directly when asked to look for it. Fi also said something about it been there; based on the localization and winds. So I went there directly because of that, then used dowsing here and there to get an idea.

Is it possible to change the name on my save? I am starting to regret not just naming him Link.
Nope, can't do. :p
Though Link is the default name;why you changed it? :p

Varna

I mean they could have catered to the novices by dumbing down everything instead of putting in a slightly annoying sidekick.

This is exactly what happened though.

If something like Hero mode was available from the start. With all the little annoyances fixed (no repeating item messages, no Fi interruptions, higher combat difficulty, way faster text scrolling) it would be a different.

I'm up to dungeon five and I don't even know if I will finish it. I never ever occurred to me that this might be my least favorite Zelda game... but man it's sinking in now and I'm not feeling to good about it.

No kid is that stupid.

I agree. People seem to think kids are essentially brain dead, and it is a mystery to me why this is the case. Kids are often far more clever than we realize.

If it's really an issue, just open up the higher difficulty from the start (complete with removing any forced hints or slow text or whatever). This practice of having to beat a game before unlocking the higher difficulty is - and always has been - stupid. If I overestimate my abilities and need to restart because I thought I was better than I really am... then that's my fault. At least let me try.

apana

I feel like most kids that are able to read will also be able to figure these things out on their own. I guess that's under the assumption that they occasionally play video games like many (the majority of?) kids these days.

I didn't really care that what she said might have made the game too easy or whatever, just quit making me stop everything and listen to you. Have the text pop up while I'm running around or something.

I think some of you live in a bit of a bubble because of your gaming skills. Most kids aren't going to be speeding through Zelda even if they have played other games before and are using hints. I can't seriously be the only one in here who uses hints once in a while can I? I mean there are people asking for advice in this very thread.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
No kid is that stupid.

The one place these hints make sense is if you've put down the game for a month or so and when you pick it up again you're standing in the middle of the desert and you recall a vague idea about needing to find a magic circle or something....then the hints are actually useful.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I noticed that too lol.

But then I remembered seeing it at the volcano. So I go pick it up... and I can't. I must have phased out when the dude tells you to go to the upgrade dude so he could give you the robot. Why couldn't Link carry that propeller himself again?

Pre-6 Spoilers:
To introduce Scrapper! Just to provide that absolutely terrible segment where you protect him as he carries water up to the volcano summit that for some reason never explained you didn't just LAND AT.

boiled goose

good with gravy

If something like Hero mode was available from the start. With all the little annoyances fixed (no repeating item messages, no Fi interruptions, higher combat difficulty, way faster text scrolling) it would be a different.

I'm up to dungeon five and I don't even know if I will finish it. I never ever occurred to me that this might be my least favorite Zelda game... but man it's sinking in now and I'm not feeling to good about it.

I am a huge Zelda fan ( and critic) and those sure are annoyances, but they are minor. There are tons of little quirks that could have been better, but the game overall is much much better than TP and the DS Zeldas. (and im not even done with the third dungeon)

RagnarokX

I didn't say they didn't... read the rest of the sentence. Geeze.

I would much rather have Fi than easier puzzles and combat.

Pre-6 Spoilers:
To introduce Scrapper! Just to provide that absolutely terrible segment where you protect him as he carries water up to the volcano summit that for some reason never explained you didn't just LAND AT.

It's explained, it's just not a good reason.

Scrapper sees where Link is diving to and tries to beat him to the punch because he's a dick. Then he doesn't want to ascend anymore.

I didn't have a problem with that part, but I had a fully upgraded bow and a fully upgraded quiver so I was shooting everything in the face.

RagnarokX

Scrapper sees where Link is diving to and tries to beat him to the punch because he's a dick. Then he doesn't want to ascend anymore.

I didn't have a problem with that part, but I had a fully upgraded bow and a fully upgraded quiver so I was shooting everything in the face.

Considering the bow was 1-hit-killing before I upgraded it fully (which I did right after I got it), what on earth is the difference between bows?

That and
going through the Skyview temple again were the only two backtracking missions I disliked. I also found it a bit annoying that compared to Faron Woods and Lanayru, the Eldin Volcano areas makes you go through the same area a ridiculous amount of times. At least with the Faron Woods one of the times it was flooded as well as another one being in the silent realm. With Eldin Volcano you have to travel through that same exact area 4 times. First time through, then the Silent Realm, then the escort mission and then the stealth section. On top of the Scrapper sidequests that all seem littered in that area.

Top Bottom