• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

ASIS

Yeah, if I have any complaints about Ghirahim it's that he didn't show up often enough.

But that's the point. He doesn't care at all about link. I was surprised when I played this game because early impressions painted him as a soulless villain who is only there to cause trouble for link. That's not true at all.

The only times you saw him was when he was going on his own quests and your paths crossed ,the only exception being in the ancient cistern but I don't remember what he did then. What I liked about this game is that everyone was having his own adventure, Zelda was having hers, Link was having well... The game's adventure, and Ghirahim is also doing his own thing. Everyone was acting up until the very end. Hell, even
Demise was in motion since the minute you enter the sealed grounds, his seal was loosening and that's why you had to do a skyward strike before going in the temple.

Really, the biggest problem with this game is that almost everyone playing the game has the "JUST GET TO THE POINT!" mentatlity without realizing that they are already there.

Also, I think this game in itself is the strongest case for a Zelda game needing voice acting yet. So much wasted potential.

Yes, for sure. Ghirahim is constantly grunting and yelling when he speaks. It almost feels like the designers really, really wanted to give him an actual voice but came just short.

And voice acting would have made the joke of Beedle's
different accent at night
have a much better impact than it has.

Tuck

Warning: timeline speculation below

The thing about legends is that the details tend to get murky over time. So, in the time between OoT and LttP, the Hero of Time's quest became the great Imprisoning War, which turns out to be more related to the events that set the action of SS in motion. People forget that these massive historical events involved figures that have uncanny similarities to one another. The multiracial Sages became all humanoid as time went on. The Master Sword went from having been forged by several people to fight evil, to being an implementation of a divine plan. Who knows - later incarnations of Ganon may be the malevolent spirit of Demise reviving himself as a universally feared figure, rather than being the same person.

I think it's very plausible that subsequent generations began to forget about the Goddess Hylia. The Hylian people go from revering the goddess to simply not knowing where their name came from. It might have become politically unwise for the King of Hyrule to claim divine ancestry (this is a Japanese game, after all). The Triforce goes from being a hidden relic of the old gods in Skyloft to a universally-known source of divine power in Hyrule. The old gods get conflated with the Goddess Hylia to become the three goddesses.

The game mentions the three gods, though not by name. Hylia was their servant. So no, the details didn't become murky. At least, not in that regard. I think you raise a good point about how some parts of the legend don't add up right (Like the part about the sages). In the games, that'd be a reasonable explanation for the fact that in reality, they are just making it up as they go along =D

Anony

okay, i'm stuck and need help:
in the desert dungeon:
i just got the windblowing thing, and i'm at the room where there's locked door at the front and the left side

Wait, you thought the story was dull? Really? For videogames (and other forms of media), the plot usually isn't all that great, but the characters and the way it's told s what makes it a standout.

This game isn't exactly the pinnacle of storytelling, not at all. But it was good enough and actually a bit too much for a Zelda game. I guess it's justified since it's the origin story but I really hope they go back to the simple fairy tale-like stories.

I have no desire to see messy, melodramatic Zelda stories. In fact I think Nintendo ought to cap the cutscene run-time at whatever it was in SS. That's not to say Zelda games couldn't benefit from a good story (in fact, I've long thought secret cachés of series mythology - like Chozo lore from Metroid Prime - would be a better reward for sidequests and exploration than a bag of rupees), but there are other ways of telling one.

In the main story of SS, I liked Zelda while she was in Skyloft, and I liked Groose. I suppose
Impa was okay.
I think the first third of the game had a pleasant sense of mystery
while you were trying to figure out what Zelda was up to
. Unfortunately, the answer turned out to be entirely uninteresting.

(end-game spoilers)
Let's be clear: the only reason the bad guys even posed a tiny threat in this game was because nobody thought to shut the time door behind Link when it was the exact thing Girahim had said he was looking for. This wasn't like OoT when the kids were unlucky that young Link couldn't be the hero of time. This was sheer stupidity. There was no reason to think Link would ever have to back through that door. But for a thunder dragon detour, he wouldn't have!

ASIS

in the desert dungeon:
i just got the windblowing thing, and i'm at the room where there's locked door at the front and the left side
Need to be more specific, did you fight something that required that the windblowing thing?

What?

Boss of the first dungeon.
Shows up at the end of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th.
End Game Spoiler:
Is the boss of the 6th and finally appears when after you get the Triforce and seal The Imprisoned for good.

Zant shows up at the end of the 3rd and 4th dungeon and you don't see him before the second to last dungeon.

Ganondorf in OoT shows up only at the mid-game and at the very end. (You have a 2-3 seconds preview of him at the beginning twice.)

Ganondorf in WW shows up at the first stealth section (though you only see him from the back and part of his jaw) at the mid-game and at the end.

Ganondorf in TP only appears in a flashback at the mid-game and at the very end.

Ghirahim appears more in his game than any other villain in a Zelda game.

Unlike Ganondorf or Zant, who plot in the shadows, Ghirahim seems like the kind of villain who loves meddling in every little thing. I thought he be on the front lines more often to constantly cause trouble for Link. But....

But that's the point. He doesn't care at all about link. I was surprised when I played this game because early impressions painted him as a soulless villain who is only there to cause trouble for link. That's not true at all.

The only times you saw him was when he was going on his own quests and your paths crossed ,the only exception being in the ancient cistern but I don't remember what he did then. What I liked about this game is that everyone was having his own adventure, Zelda was having hers, Link was having well... The game's adventure, and Ghirahim is also doing his own thing. Everyone was acting up until the very end. Hell, even
Demise was in motion since the minute you enter the sealed grounds, his seal was loosening and that's why you had to do a skyward strike before going in the temple.

Really, the biggest problem with this game is that almost everyone playing the game has the "JUST GET TO THE POINT!" mentatlity without realizing that they are already there.

I didn't think about it like that, and that's a reason why I enjoyed the story; all of the main characters had their own approach to the events at hand. I guess Ghirahim didn't think Link would be such a problem,
which explains his frustration and anger during each battle.

Wanting more Ghirahim is just a fan request, since I really like him. : P

Johnas

in the desert dungeon:

Is it the room with a giant walkway shaped like a plus sign?

If so, I think you have to use your new item in there. More specifically:
Blow the dust off of a box that you push over a floor switch to remove a vertical door lock

ASIS

I didn't think about it like that, and that's a reason why I enjoyed the story; all of the main characters had their own approach to the events at hand. I guess Ghirahim didn't think Link would be such a problem,
which explains his frustration and anger during each battle.

Wanting more Ghirahim is just a fan request, since I really like him. : P

Oh don't worry the last statement wasn't targeted towards you, rather the general attitude towards the game.

And yeah, I also like how his frustration was due to Link's courage. Intentional or not, I thought it was well done how
both Ghirahim and Demise reacted towards that. One was frustrated, the other was fascinated. Perhaps I'm reading too much into it but I mean that's what happened... right?
So the lead up to dungeon 4 is kind of ridiculous.

It's killed the pacing for me.

LOL, it's kind of ironic how that was supposed to be one of the key selling points of the game. And now everyone hates it (rightfully so).

Anth0ny

Ghirahim appears more in his game than any other villain in a Zelda game.

I think this works against him. All he did was show up
to get his ass kicked by Link

Take Ganon in Ocarina of Time, for example. We seem him at the very beginning of the game, haunting Links dreams:

legend-of-zelda-ocarina-of-time-link-ganon-hyrule-castle.jpg

Lets say this is the first time you're playing Zelda. You're introduced to this huge, dark figure riding a black horse. The scene is only a few seconds long, but it's enough to let the player know this guy means business. Very intimidating stuff.

What's Ghirahim's introduction? Kicking his ass in the first dungeon. How intimidating.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
in the desert dungeon:

Look at your map; like when you were in the desert outside, the true path is revealed when you open up your map. I was stuck on there for a bit.

Anony

Is it the room with a giant walkway shaped like a plus sign?

If so, I think you have to use your new item in there. More specifically:
Blow the dust off of a box that you push over a floor switch to remove a vertical door lock

that did it, thanks
stupid, i blew the dust off everywhere BUT there

OMT

Take Ganon in Ocarina of Time, for example. We seem him at the very beginning of the game, haunting Links dreams:

Lets say this is the first time you're playing Zelda. You're introduced to this huge, dark figure riding a black horse. The scene is only a few seconds long, but it's enough to let the player know this guy means business. Very intimidating stuff.

What's Ghirahim's introduction? Kicking his ass in the first dungeon. How intimidating.

I think that's the point - you've got this nutball prancing around, who seems more silly than dangerous, when all of a sudden, the inexperienced player can't get a shot in without him catching it. Makes you realize you've got a ways to go before mastering the game.

ASIS

I'm sorry but this is obvious bias. Why? Because you are trying to replace Ghirahim with Ganon, and that's not who he is.

Think back in the introduction of SS, who was haunting Link's dream? THAT character was definitely intimidating.

bionic77

Ghirahim became all sorts of badass near the end.

My jaw dropped.
I thought the whole end battle was really awesome.

Ghirahim was a great villain throughout the entire game. And his battle was a lot of fun and a great precursor to the last fight.

Speaking of the last fight, what did people think of it?

I loved the entire fight. The second part was actually difficult and it took me 3 tries to work out how to beat him. The graphics were actually pretty damn good as well. Demise looked like something from an early PS3 or Xbox360 game. This game had the first and only difficult 3D Zelda boss fights.

Anth0ny

I think that's the point - you've got this nutball prancing around, who seems more silly than dangerous, when all of a sudden, the inexperienced player can't get a shot in without him catching it. Makes you realize you've got a ways to go before mastering the game.

Maybe the inexperienced player... I never had a problem with the first boss battle.

I'm sorry but this is obvious bias. Why? Because you are trying to replace Ghirahim with Ganon, and that's not who he is.

Think back in the introduction of SS, who was haunting Link's dream? THAT character was definitely intimidating.

END GAME SPOILERS
Ghirahim is the main villain of the game, the same way Ganon is the main villain of OOT. Imprisoned has no character, he's just a big black blob that you fight 3 times for some reason. Goofy character design, didn't find him intimidating at all. Demise is tacked on to the end of the game. Clearly, Demise and Imprisoned don't compare to Ghirahim (or Ganon in OOT) character development wise.

And yeah, I also like how his frustration was due to Link's courage. Intentional or not, I thought it was well done how
both Ghirahim and Demise reacted towards that. One was frustrated, the other was fascinated. Perhaps I'm reading too much into it but I mean that's what happened... right?

Nah, half the fun of the story is reading into it!
Demise was going on about how no human ever dared oppose him, so the extreme reactions towards Link's strength and heroism make sense. This Link is the first true hero in the series, and I think that impact was pretty strong.

My mind is still blown by the idea that
The main villain is basically a freakin' sword!

Seriously, and it also blew my mind that the other main villain was essentially Ganondorf's evil essence.

Lingitiz

Just finished it. I had some annoyances, but overall it might be my favorite game of the year. The ending was great and made me realize just how bad alot of ending are in other games during this generation.

Lots of reasons to go back for another playthrough right away though, as I missed alot of sidequests because I wanted to see the ending.

Big One

Banned
END GAME SPOILERS
Ghirahim is the main villain of the game, the same way Ganon is the main villain of OOT. Imprisoned has no character, he's just a big black blob that you fight 3 times for some reason. Goofy character design, didn't find him intimidating at all. Demise is tacked on to the end of the game. Clearly, Demise and Imprisoned don't compare to Ghirahim (or Ganon in OOT) character development wise.
How is a character tacked on when he was there for the entire game?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Alright, got to the entrance of Dungeon 4, calling it a night.
This was my favorite pre-dungeon segment so far. I even thought that the pirate base was the dungeon for a bit. However the ship-yard felt under-developed. Two minecart rides with nothing between them and it was over.

Big One

Banned
oh yeah they mentioned him a couple of times

He still felt tacked on. This game did a really bad job making me want to stop the villains.
What do you mean "they mentioned him a couple of times?
The Imprisoned and Demise are one and the same, just two different forms. The character wasn't tacked on at all.
It's abysmally idiotic to even debate that it's tacked on when it's constantly pushed into our face in many of the game's cutscenes.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Alright, got to the entrance of Dungeon 4, calling it a night.
This was my favorite pre-dungeon segment so far. I even thought that the pirate base was the dungeon for a bit. However the ship-yard felt under-developed. Two minecart rides with nothing between them and it was over.

That's dungeon 5. :p

Anth0ny

Only mentioned?
You fight him three times, Demise is the Imprisoned.

He may as well have been a different character though, because Imprisoned was a shallow, emotionless, forgetful character. His transformation into Demise was actually pretty interesting... but as I said, he was tacked on at the end. Despite the fact that he's a love child between Akuma and Ganondorf, he was kinda cool while he lasted.

My point still stands. I didn't really give a shit about any of these villains.

ameleco

Beat it a few days ago. I do not get the hate at all barring a few anomalies. For example, swimming being controlled by motion only when diving and yet the control stick when not. It just felt sort of off. And only a tiny bit of the supposed "filler" was bad.
I'm looking at you, tadnotes.
Also, thrusting isn't always easy to pull off, but it isn't game-breaking.

Moving onto the final boss...

Final boss spoiler:
In tp, I felt like ganondorf was tacked onto the end. In ss, in no way is demise tacked on. He's talked about the entire time, you fight him as an abomination, and so on. The only way he wasn't going to be the final boss was if you prevented ghirahim from finishing. I also thought it was a hard boss fight simply because I didn't realize you could do the lightning skyward strike. Now, it's an easy boss fight :p

Now, I loved the story, and the ending.

End of story spoiler:
Didn't feel bad for Fi really, but Impa's end was happy/sad. I thought the predestination thing was cool, despite not being fully worked out: such as the master sword not being there the entire time and the tree, but people have tried to explain that. I simply see it as them not wanting to spoil the entire plot. Also, I like how Groose turned out and thank god he didn't turn evil or whatever. That would have been stupid as hell.

That said, I think it's time for them to move on from retelling the same thing over and over. I realize the title semi-screws them and makes them talk about Zelda in every game, but man, move on. Tell a new story! I love the Triforce, the general legend and back story that's been established, but tell something new. Something new for the next Zelda please. I don't even care if Zelda is there or not.

Oh, and the music was awesome.

KarmaCow

Only mentioned?
You fight him three times, Demise is the Imprisoned.

Majora has the moon crashing toward Termina, which can be seen in every outdoor scene and plus the fact you need to restart every 3 days. TP has the twilight realm corrupting Hyrule. Ganondorf actually does take over Hyrule in Ocarina and WW has him kidnapping your sister I guess. In SS,
the Imprisoned just fucked up the world a bagillion years ago and done jack shit since, so it doesn't matter to most of the people in the world.

Yea, there are enemies in the world and Ghirahim shows up here and there but I never felt his presence or the Imprisoned in the world. The way I see it, if it was the Bokoblin King instead of the Imprisoned that was trying to take over/destroy the world, would there really be much of a difference to most of the characters? Except for Impa and later Groose, and maybe Gaebora, no one is even aware of the Imprisoned. Hell, outside of the Faron Dragon, Zelda and Impa, no one has even seen Ghirahim to know more than he's some weird looking dude.

Alucard

Banned
This is my first Zelda game since OoT. 2 hours in and I am awe-struck by the sense of adventure and the beauty of the world. There is a wonderfully vibrant and exuberant spirit about the game (so far), and it makes me wish this world existed. It's fantasy wish fulfillment at its finest. I haven't felt this involved or sucked into a game in years. Feels like a whole new experience in familiar clothing.

Twilight Princess is waiting in the wings, but right now, I am contentbeing swept away by this potentially epic story, and everything it has in store. And I only just put on Link's trademark green garb. The scene before that is just chilling in its revelations and setup of the adventure ahead.

Just finished (Post-dungeon 6 spoiler)
Dungeon 6 and went to the Sacred Temple afterwards I have to find the Triforce now
how much is left in the game?

this game is amazing. I love how through the entire game they shied away from using many of the classic Zelda music and themes, it hit so hard when Zelda's lullaby kicked in. That was a fantastic cutscene.

This is my first Zelda game since OoT. 2 hours in and I am awe-struck by the sense of adventure and the beauty of the world. There is a wonderfully vibrant and exuberant spirit about the game (so far), and it makes me wish this world existed. It's fantasy wish fulfillment at its finest. I haven't felt this involved or sucked into a game in years. Feels like a whole new experience in familiar clothing.

Twilight Princess is waiting in the wings, but right now, I am contentbeing swept away by this potentially epic story, and everything it has in store. And I only just put on Link's trademark green garb. The scene before that is just chilling in its revelations and setup of the adventure ahead.

Twilight Princess is good, but don't skip out on Wind Waker. That one's fantastic.

Anth0ny

Save Majora's Mask for last.

Play TP and WW, and then you'll be all like "man, the zelda formula needs to change. It's getting stale" and BAM, Majora's Mask to the rescue!

bionic77

I am hard pressed to think of a more epic adventure game than Skyward Sword. The game is just so fucking massive and has so much content. I finished it in 40 hours and I left a lot of the extra stuff undone.

Red

I am hard pressed to think of a more epic adventure game than Skyward Sword. The game is just so fucking massive and has so much content. I finished it in 40 hours and I left a lot of the extra stuff undone.

If you're talking purely size, Twilight Princess is bigger. Skyward Sword just has more in relation to its size. It's more dense.

I like that all Skyward Sword's dungeons (at least up til 4; haven't gotten much farther yet) are designed around a hub room. They aren't sprawling labyrinths like the bigger ones in Twilight Princess, but instead opt for a more compact design, like the Arbiter's Grounds. This allows for frequent shortcuts and offers a quicker sense of pace, even if there are a similar amount of puzzles. All goods things, imo.

All the dungeons and temples in SS appear to be structured similarly to the Arbiter's Grounds and Snowpeak, in fact. As these were the most praised of TP's dungeon's, I see it as a step forward.

Alucard

Banned
I actually played a bit of Majora's Mask but got confused because I didn't really "get it." I'll DL it onto my Wii at some point.

How are the OoT and MM DLs? Controls are good with the Wii?

fernoca

Yeah. A little weird at first, since the yellow-C-stick buttons are the right analog stick; and the overall HUD/prompts show the colored N64 button/colors...but that aside no problems. No rumble though.

Anth0ny

I actually played a bit of Majora's Mask but got confused because I didn't really "get it." I'll DL it onto my Wii at some point.

The Virtual Console versions of the games are flawless (unlike the Zelda Collectors Disc version of Majora's Mask...ugh).

I love the GC controller for the N64 Zeldas, personally. Haven't tried them with the Classic Controller.

FINALLY on my way to get the last gratitude crystal. That ugly asshole better give me something good. I mean, at the end of the day all 63,293 sidequests were for him.

WIth that mindset I think the game will blow you away. That being said, you can't skip WW or TP. They're both just as epic.

Alucard

Banned
Any chance of Wind Waker hitting the virtual console, or will I have to track down a GC disc?

And TP on Wii is still good, isn't it? See posts supporting the GC version. I already have the Wii one bought.

bionic77

If you're talking purely size, Twilight Princess is bigger. Skyward Sword just has more in relation to its size. It's more dense.

I like that all Skyward Sword's dungeons (at least up til 4; haven't gotten much farther yet) are designed around a hub room. They aren't sprawling labyrinths like the bigger ones in Twilight Princess, but instead opt for a more compact design, like the Arbiter's Grounds. This allows for frequent shortcuts and offers a quicker sense of pace, even if there are a similar amount of puzzles. All goods things, imo.

All the dungeons and temples in SS appear to be structured similarly to the Arbiter's Grounds and Snowpeak, in fact. As these were the most praised of TP's dungeon's, I see it as a step forward.
Skyward Sword felt like a bigger game to me compared to TP in almost every way, even world size. I haven't played TP since it came out though and I was somewhat bored by the game at times (only felt that when I had to do the one fetch crap in SS). Content wise I feel it is no contest, SS is just a massive game and I clocked in 40 hours when I finished it, not even getting everything. There was also a lot more story in SS. Though I did feel like the music might have been better in TP (again this is based on memory, but there is that one section of the game that you will know what I am talking about and that music still sticks with me).

got the game today since i had a kmart $20 giftcard and i'm already stuck. on the birdrace, what the fuck am i doing wrong that i keep sinking down? i turbo to get closer to the yellow bird, then my bird just starts flapping its wings and doesn't move. if i dive bomb and then come back up, he loses his momentum eventually as well.

i wish they didn't put crap like this into zelda. that and the storyline, which i couldn't care less about, are getting the game off to a bad start for me. they should let us skip the story parts like most games do. it's unfortunate because the wii+ implementation seems to be pretty sweet. the "semi" dungeon to find the bird shows a lot of promise if only i could get to the real game.

Top Bottom