• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Myriadis

One more thing I felt was missing in SS were holes. The ones you dropped down into in OOT/MM/WW. I thought they were absent from TP aswell but replaying it now and i've found one.

Yeah, there are at least 21 small caves you can find by digging a hole in TP. I also thought that there were only these 4 bigger caves and two or three of these small caves.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
FUCK. WHAT. WHAT. WHAT
it seems like the only time lightning flashes for me to charge skyward strike is the exact time he unleashes that disc attack that I'm completely vulnerable to, knocking the strike out of me and two hearts with it

Sagitario

Okay, this is really pissing me off. I'm at the
final Girahim fight still
and its the first time the stab has consistently failed to work for me.
I counter with my shield and go to stab and Link consistently does overhead slash instead

EDIT: it keeps happening and I'm really getting frustrated. Link keeps doing the vertical circular slash instead.

EDIT 2: This is bizzare. Sometimes thrusting the remote causes my shield to thrust forward instead. I have no clue what I'm doing wrong.

You're probably a little too excited and you're moving both hands [even so slightly], activating the shield without realizing it. It happens.

Edit: Do it like a boss, no lighting help! :p

Theonik

FUCK. WHAT. WHAT. WHAT
it seems like the only time lightning flashes for me to charge skyward strike is the exact time he unleashes that disc attack that I'm completely vulnerable to, knocking the strike out of me and two hearts with it
I assume you are at the final boss?
For this fight you are better off staying close to him and strafe. Otherwise he unleashes a charge attack,

Mistle

I'll comment more after I do the next 2 areas, but so far I've done the Eldin part of the post-dungeon 6 quest. And it was fun.

Naruto

Man, I've just past the third dungeon and so far I have mixed feelings. The third dungeon was awesome with some really clever puzzles, the controls work pretty well for the most part and the story and characters are great.

My main gripes with the game are those that have been prevalent in past games in the series, but have reached the boiling point as far as I'm concerned. Things like the intrusive hand holding, such as:"you have collected X" for the 40th time can really break the flow of the game and are just an insult to the intelligence of an average human being. Even when my friend, who plays a game once a year or two, noted these annoyances had casually asked:"Why are they always stating the obvious?"

Another problem for me was the abundance of fetch quests(Search for 3 of these, then go find 5 of those, and don't forget to collect the 12 tears etc). I wouldn't mind them if they were engaging or presented new locales(a la Metroid), but they generally involve you running from one end of an area you have already visited to the other, with no clever puzzles or some sort of a twist.

It seems to me that now more than ever Zelda is kind of stuck in the past in many regards.
At its core(dungeons, soundtrack, story etc) it's a brilliant game, but it's incredibly rough around the edges that it's hard for me, as a hardcore Zelda fan, to enjoy it as much.

Nintendo needs to shake things up because I feel the series as of late has become too predictable and with the same old trappings that make the games look archaic in some regards when compared to their contemporaries.

filler

Banned
Goddamn I love this game. I keep losing tack of time while playing, next thing I know it's 5+ hours later and I have to force myself to stop.

One more thing I felt was missing in SS were holes. The ones you dropped down into in OOT/MM/WW. I thought they were absent from TP aswell but replaying it now and i've found one.
Wow I've completely forgot about holes... So silly, but yeah you are correct, Zelda games need their holes. I just replayed TP last month and this explains why that one hole felt so great. Damn why did my mind not pick that up when I played it...

Segnit

Banned
Just finished the game for the first time. Didn't get stuck not even once. Well not until the 2nd phase of the final boss battle where I didn't know what to do so I looked it up.

Counter read 100 hours and 9 mins. That is all.

maharg

idspispopd
It seems to me that now more than ever Zelda is kind of stuck in the past in many regards.
At its core(dungeons, soundtrack, story etc) it's a brilliant game, but it's incredibly rough around the edges that it's hard for me, as a hardcore Zelda fan, to enjoy it as much.

I'd be a lot happier if it *were* stuck in the past. LttP is a game that, imo, holds up today as one of the best ever made. What's happened since then has largely been a slide towards games that hold your hand too much, don't brook any serious non-linearity, and are just incredibly slow for no good reason.

I pointed this out in my first impressions, but the stuff that slows this game down compared to previous zelda games goes much deeper than the fetch quests. Look at how long it takes to frickin' buy something from a shop in this game. Let alone sell, where you first have to figure out if they're even willing to buy the thing you want to sell.

There's this really bizarre thing in this game where they did everything they could to stretch playtime out as ridiculously long as they could with as little actual material as they could and it's often really frustrating, and it's very much a new thing. Not a stuck in the past thing.

Wow I've completely forgot about holes... So silly, but yeah you are correct, Zelda games need their holes. I just replayed TP last month and this explains why that one hole felt so great. Damn why did my mind not pick that up when I played it...

I had no idea people actually liked those things. Ugh. Why?

The Technomancer

Alright, just beat it. I'll be honest: around dungeon 4 or so I was feeling somewhat negative about the game. It was fun, sure, but there were a lot of little things pissing me off and something about it just wasn't resonating with me. But I dunno what it was, from dungeon 6 on something just started to click and I really started having a blast. I definitely love this game, a lot more then I thought I would halfway through.

I'd be a lot happier if it *were* stuck in the past. LttP is a game that, imo, holds up today as one of the best ever made. What's happened since then has largely been a slide towards games that hold your hand too much, don't brook any serious non-linearity, and are just incredibly slow for no good reason.

I pointed this out in my first impressions, but the stuff that slows this game down compared to previous zelda games goes much deeper than the fetch quests. Look at how long it takes to frickin' buy something from a shop in this game. Let alone sell, where you first have to figure out if they're even willing to buy the thing you want to sell.

There's this really bizarre thing in this game where they did everything they could to stretch playtime out as ridiculously long as they could with as little actual material as they could and it's often really frustrating, and it's very much a new thing. Not a stuck in the past thing.
I've only played the game for 5 hours or so but I'm right there. A lot of things seem excruciatingly slow by design and I really don't get why.
Hell, even the text speed tends to get on my nerves.

From what I've played, the game does some stuff brilliantly but it does have this layer of unnecessary fat that detracts from what it should be. I have this feeling I sometimes have to jump through these tedious hoops to finally get to the core of the experience I expect from the game.

These are obviously first impressions after having cleared only one area.

Alright, just beat it. I'll be honest: around dungeon 4 or so I was feeling somewhat negative about the game. It was fun, sure, but there were a lot of little things pissing me off and something about it just wasn't resonating with me. But I dunno what it was, from dungeon 6 on something just started to click and I really started having a blast. I definitely love this game, a lot more then I thought I would halfway through.

It was actually kind of the opposite for me. During dungeon 4 is when I fell in love with the game. I thought the opening was nice and the first dungeons were nice but a little simplistic and tutorial. Dungeon 3 was pretty good. I think I liked the pre-dungeon 3 areas more than the actual dungeon though. The pre-dungeon 4 area dragged on a bit too long but overall I was okay with it. I think the highpoint of the game remains to be Dungeon 3- 5. Dungeon 4 being my favorite dungeon. The atmosphere, aesthetics, design, puzzles, item, and boss fight are perfect, imo.

cacophony

Just beat the 3rd dungeon
I hated it to be honest, and it felt way too long to me. Also, was that not the lamest Zelda boss ever?

So far out of the 1st 3 dungeons I rank them: 2 > 1 > 3

Mistle

Just clicked into the spoiler thread accidentally... didn't spoil anything thankfully but damn I think I was close to it lol. My brain realised what was happening half way through reading a post and stopped just before some major spoilers.

That thread needs a big ***WARNING*** tag or something lol

I don't... even agree a little. If they were stuck in the past, Zelda games of today would not have anywhere near the amount of handholding they do. The handholding increases in quantity as you progress through the series. I feel like going back to older games for inspiration in, not just gameplay and setting, but also presentation would help considerably.

Hell, even modern games in some of their other series are significantly better in that regard. I don't feel like SMG ever held my hand too much. I recently finished Super Mario 3D Land, and that game, while considerably easier than I would have liked, never holds your hand. It explains everything through the environment. Hell, it never even explains the controls if you don't go looking for it. This is harder in more complex games like Zelda, but not impossible. Similarly, those games are quick and snappy (with the exception of the hub world in SMG1). Considerably less time wasted wading through slow, repetitive text, etc. It's still there a bit (again, especially in SMG1, but you can skip most of it if you just don't talk to Rosalina), but nowhere near as offensive.

I mean, yeah, Zelda is more complex in both gameplay and story, but I feel like the Zelda team could learn a lot from observing the way the Galaxy team did things.

EDIT: I see maharg already said what I said, just with different examples. X:

Just clicked into the spoiler thread accidentally... didn't spoil anything thankfully but damn I think I was close to it lol. My brain realised what was happening half way through reading a post and stopped just before some major spoilers.

That thread needs a big ***WARNING*** tag or something lol
This is why you subscribe to threads. Much harder to accidentally click on a spoiler thread when you only ever go to the thread list to find new threads.

ASIS

My posts are reaching blog status now, but this whole evening I've felt restless and wanted to play more and more and more Zelda. But it's over. And the next one is five years away. I've got Xenoblade left to finish on the Wii but can't bother to pick that up, it just seems slow and pointless and boring after this. FML

Yes I know of Hero Mode but I'm not going to replay the game yet. Time to let it rest but maaan.

Edit: Phew letting off steam like that helped. Maybe I'll go back to Monster Hunter tomorrow, or start Shining Force 2.

Tell me about it. This is the first game in my life that I immediately replayed after beating it. I've never done that, ever!

But really it seems the controls just pushed it over the edge for me. Even though the game is still very fresh in my mind I still get the same amount of fun just doing the mundane things.

Try playing through hero mode. In the beginning you will feel like something is wrong because you have to start from scratch. But once you get into it, you'll get into it :p.

I had no idea people actually liked those things. Ugh. Why?
A hole with 4 spider enemies and a chest with rupees. Fuck no, lame as hell. But I remember some decent holes in both OoT and WW. Some included cool puzzles in OoT and I remember some pretty decent battle arenas in WW.

Mistle

Just beat the 3rd dungeon
I hated it to be honest, and it felt way too long to me. Also, was that not the lamest Zelda boss ever?

So far out of the 1st 3 dungeons I rank them: 2 > 1 > 3
I loved the third dungeon, but I agree the boss was lacking. Thankfully imo it is the last of the lacking bosses, they get really cool from here on.

This is why you subscribe to threads. Much harder to accidentally click on a spoiler thread when you only ever go to the thread list to find new threads.
I mainly browse gaf through subscriptions but I just so happened to be in the Gaming Forum. No problems though, didn't spoil anything, just have to be more careful.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I finished the game over the weekend. Unfortunately I'm out of town working so I cant really give a full opinion right now from my phone (I'll post something Thursday when I get back) but Skyward Sword is the most enjoyable, accessible, and innovative Zelda yet. What other people saw as padding was quality variety in my eyes. And the controllers were almost flawless even for a left hander like me that used the wiimote in his right hand.

I'm not sure if it will pass my favorite Zelda (Windwaker; my first LOZ) yet, but I've never wanted to replay a Zelda as much as I do Skyward Sword.

Mistle

Regarding H
ero
M
ode
, can I choose to start a new save file or will I have to overwrite my current one?

If so, I'd better back it up sooner or later... I'll want to finish the game first with good pacing, instead of stopping before the finale to search for crystals lol.

Regarding H
ero
M
ode
, can I choose to start a new save file or will I have to overwrite my current one?

If so, I'd better back it up sooner or later... I'll want to finish the game first with good pacing, instead of stopping before the finale to search for crystals lol.

(End of game spoilers)
You'll have to overwrite your save file

The Technomancer

Hm, finally got around to ripping this to my drive, surprised its only around 4 gigs

EDIT: About
hero mode
I went and
made a copy of my original game afterwards, so I'll just beat the final boss again and select "yes" this time

That game-breaking bug is making me have to rearrange the order I'd be doing sidequests in, fuck :(

Post-6th dungeon:
Song of Hero stuff is surprisingly fun. The flooded Faron Wood was fucking awesome, and the 'stealth' bit in Eldin was lots of fun and not annoying or stressful at all.
Loving it. Can't wait to finish this baby, the ending is going to be sweet, I just know it

Mistle

Thanks, but I'm not highlighting endgame spoilers lol. I assume it's a no? (I've been told it overwrites but I'm just making sure there's no alternative method)

oatmeal

Banned
Like in Spirit Tracks they don't give you any feedback of when you're doing it correctly or not, I didn't know if I was supposed to move continuously or only "when their hands move". Plus there's no way to know which moves are up ahead without having played the track a few times. I wish they'd have done something better with the harp, playing it outside of these segments is actually quite a bit of fun but all the songs and this side stuff sucks.

I think they managed to vary how you fought the bosses much more this time than in TP instead of just making them huuuuge. Plus they could actually damage you this time and force you to use those potions.

Then again, TP had the Bone Dragon Skull with spinning up a wall fight, that was awesome.

Edit: (SS spoilers)
However SS hade a bit too much reuse even of bosses, with fighting Ghirahim two times in basically the same way (both times were fun though, and the third time was great), plus The Imprisoned three times. This goes for more than bosses of course, revisiting old areas with new challenges I don't mind, but there was just too much at times.

Anyway, did anyone else notice how much of a JERK Link was in the game?
Scamming poor, old ladies of rupees,thrashing candeliers, fooling girls into loving him and then never returning to that town, maaaaaan

Oh crap. I meant FINAL bosses, actually.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks, but I'm not highlighting endgame spoilers lol. I assume it's a no? (I've been told it overwrites but I'm just making sure there's no alternative method)

They're not end game spoilers, he just says no.

TheExodu5

Banned

This is my problem with 3D Zelda. When I compare Ocarina of Time and Link to the Past, I feel like the amount of content is roughly similar...and yet Ocarina of Time takes 4 times longer to beat.

McNum

I can't quite decide if I just want to power through from here, or go sidequest mad. Just set foot in the final dungeon and promptly left, and got the last bottle and the
Hylian Shield
today.

On one hand, I do want to finish the game, on the other, I can't let my man
Batreaux
hanging. There are Gratitude Crystals to find!

Went through the first
Silent Realm
section today and loved it. Great atmosphere, tense as hell watching the clock run down with one tear left to find. Much better than the tear sections from TP.

Also, just learned how to
swim
and don't have many issues with it. Sure, I would forget to use the remote and go off course or try and use the analog stick but I am picking it up. Unless there is some section where you gotta get through hoops in a quick fashion, I really like it.

The Technomancer

Also, just learned how to
swim
and don't have many issues with it. Sure, I would forget to use the remote and go off course or try and use the analog stick but I am picking it up. Unless there is some section where you gotta get through hoops in a quick fashion, I really like it.

Thankfully no. The nearest the game comes to that has a fair amount of leeway to it, and its more creative then just hoops.

leroidys

Okay, this is really pissing me off. I'm at the
final Girahim fight still
and its the first time the stab has consistently failed to work for me.
I counter with my shield and go to stab and Link consistently does overhead slash instead

EDIT: it keeps happening and I'm really getting frustrated. Link keeps doing the vertical circular slash instead.

EDIT 2: This is bizzare. Sometimes thrusting the remote causes my shield to thrust forward instead. I have no clue what I'm doing wrong.

Yeah I just turned it off after failing this fight. Super derp waggle time. It's a shame after how well the WM+ worked in the battles up until that point.

Red

Yeah I just turned it off after failing this fight. Super derp waggle time. It's a shame after how well the WM+ worked in the battles up until that point.
I didn't have any problems. That's really the fight that requires the most precise movement, so I can imagine incorrect input being very frustrating.

Mistle

Post-6th dungeon:
Song of Hero stuff is surprisingly fun. The flooded Faron Wood was fucking awesome, and the 'stealth' bit in Eldin was lots of fun and not annoying or stressful at all.
Loving it. Can't wait to finish this baby, the ending is going to be sweet, I just know it
I agree entirely. This thread had me all ready to face the worst part of the game, and I ended up pleasantly surprised. It felt fun and fresh. God forbid a Zelda game do something that doesn't ooze with Zelda formula.

Lesson learnt for the next Zelda game: don't read impressions. SS has been such a great game for me and almost everything that gaf had me worried about has either been completely untrue in my eyes, or just been a minuscule smudge on what is a fantastic game. I'm not disputing anybody's opposing opinions, I just find that I really do not agree with them.

I agree entirely. This thread had me all ready to face the worst part of the game, and I ended up pleasantly surprised. It felt fun and fresh. God forbid a Zelda game do something that doesn't ooze with Zelda formula.

Lesson learnt for the next Zelda game: don't read impressions. SS has been such a great game for me and almost everything that gaf had me worried about has either been completely untrue in my eyes, or just been a minuscule smudge on what is a fantastic game. I'm not disputing anybody's opposing opinions, I just find that I really do not agree with them.

I didn't see any impressions regarding the bit I'm currently on, but once I got my objective I figured it'd be arbitrary fetching task time, a la Triforce hunt or some shit, so that's why I was surprised.

And yeah impressions kinda suck to some extent always anyway, you can't really avoid that, your experience will always be somewhat unique. Especially with this game, I've had a 95% success rate with the M+ (ha, I sound like Fi) so it's been irrationally irritating to see people bemoaning the controls. Ah well.

Ogni-XR21

I can't be the first to mention this but this has been bugging me all the time: How can there be blue skies or even a desert or life in general under that cloud barrier?

linkboy

I can't be the first to mention this but this has been bugging me all the time: How can there be blue skies or even a desert or life in general under that cloud barrier?

It says it in the prologue, only the humans were sent to the sky. After the goddess sent the humans upwards, she came back down to the surface to clean up the mess (and left the humans in the sky).

It says it in the prologue, only the humans were sent to the sky. After the goddess sent the humans upwards, she came back down to the surface to clean up the mess (and left the humans in the sky).

That doesn't answer the question at all. The question was: Why is the sky blue on the ground when there is supposed to be a barrier?

Also, no one really knows. Nintendo magic?

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Does anyone know where to find bird feathers? I thought perhaps, since I haven't found any lying around, that enemies would drop them, but I haven't had any luck.
It should be said that LTTP explicitly tells you where the dungeons are hidden and in what order to do them, though it's probably not quite as bad as future Zelda games.

Red

Does anyone know where to find bird feathers? I thought perhaps, since I haven't found any lying around, that enemies would drop them, but I haven't had any luck.

It should be said that LTTP explicitly tells you where the dungeons are hidden and in what order to do them, though it's probably not quite as bad as future Zelda games.
catch birds in the forest.

Mistle

I think you just have to look past the inconsistencies in this game haha... For instance, the fortune teller, and how the stores all want bugs and materials from a world that they don't think exists.

One thing I noticed was Fledge says the phrase "two birds with one stone", which is weird as there are no small birds above the clouds, nor would they be harming the big one with stones :p

Top Bottom