• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

MisterHero

I actually hardly used the shield in the game and did just fine. I basically only used it to kill those pesky plants which throw stones at you.
I did the same, forcing myself to play without the shield as much as possible, before the Iron Shield at least. I had no plans on buying multiple Wooden Shields

Stalfos broke the one I got for free =[

Theonik

I did the same, forcing myself to play without the shield as much as possible, before the Iron Shield at least. I had no plans on buying multiple Wooden Shields

Stalfos broke the one I got for free =[
I didn't use it because I didn't have the treasures needed to upgrade it and it got pretty banged up fast. Then I went into the
Eldin volcano area
before I got a metal shield so I kept it unequipped through that too. Then I go and buy a Metal Shield and what do you know...
electric attacks!
pretty much didn't touch it until I got the sacred shield.

Yeah it's probably in english versions Fee. In the Japanese version it's ファイ (Fai) though. Apparently the french translators based her name on the Japanese version...
I just pronounced her as Fee or the Greek letter Φ. Kinda sounded like Wii.

Sagitario

Not at all disappointed by it, but I have to wonder why Nintendo advertised it as an origin story. Outside of
the master sword,
literally the entire plot could take place anywhere on the Zelda timeline.
There is some importance placed on Link and Zelda staying on the ground (what happened to Groose? He's got clear Gerudo stylings, yellow eyes, red hair, but he goes back to the clouds? Earlier in the game he even says he wants to stay, but ends up not? Really unsure about what happened there), but in the end that's forcing the player to accept "this is the beginning, because it's the beginning." It didn't work for me. It doesn't really function properly in that sense as a prequel to Ocarina of Time. Zelda and Link are the first Hylians just because.

And what the heck happened to Impa? Wasn't it mentioned in some prerelease media that she was the same Impa that appeared in other titles? How can that be, considering what happened to her?
Of course she's not the same
Impa
, but she's the first
caretaker
. I see no logic for even thinking she would be the same one.

Also, what do you mean with "just because"? I think that was well explained and made sense.

I mean, there's definitely been some negativity, but I feel like the overall reception has been overwhelmingly positive, at least in this thread. I personally think it's the GOTY, but Zelda's long been my favorite series, so take that for what it's worth.
I think the reason it appears to get a lot of negative comments and properly also the biggest flaw of the game is that in almost every area of the game it follows the 2-steps-forward-1-step-backward mantra. Depending on the player some areas will obviously be more important compared to others, but all in all it means that there's pretty much something to complain about in every aspect of the game.
Except the majority complaining about too much handholding in general, there really isn't any unifying major complains.

Finished it. Finally.

Ehhh as an origin story it's really inessential. As a standalone game it is excellent. Charming story and characters. Charming is really the word for it. It's the most consistently happy Zelda game.

I think it's the best title in the series since Majora's Mask. If Fi would've just shut up a little more often it could have been even better.

They try to give her a Midna moment there at the end, but I didn't care. She just sucks, so much, absolutely the worst character in the game and actually offensive to the player with her constant pandering early on. I don't care that she feels happy. I don't need to know that. If there was some clue that she was "learning" to be human earlier, maybe she'd have a more complete arc. As is, her turnaround there at the end is so completely out of left field (not that I didn't expect it! It's that token Disney moment) that it does not mesh in the least with the previous presentation of her character.

Not at all disappointed by it, but I have to wonder why Nintendo advertised it as an origin story. Outside of
the master sword,
literally the entire plot could take place anywhere on the Zelda timeline.
There is some importance placed on Link and Zelda staying on the ground (what happened to Groose? He's got clear Gerudo stylings, yellow eyes, red hair, but he goes back to the clouds? Earlier in the game he even says he wants to stay, but ends up not? Really unsure about what happened there), but in the end that's forcing the player to accept "this is the beginning, because it's the beginning." It didn't work for me. It doesn't really function properly in that sense as a prequel to Ocarina of Time. Zelda and Link are the first Hylians just because.

And what the heck happened to Impa? Wasn't it mentioned in some prerelease media that she was the same Impa that appeared in other titles? How can that be, considering what happened to her?

How is this not an origin story? The end game plot is almost completely based on it being the first one.
It explains that Zelda is the reincarnate of Hylia meaning first of all that SS Zelda was the first Zelda. Second of all it explains why Zelda has some sort of special power and why people always try to kidnap her. It also explains the origin of Link and why he constantly appears throughout time. Demise and his defeat also explains the origin of the majority of Zelda villains. I don't see how this is not an origin story since it details the origin of the three most important characters in the Zelda series as well as the Master Sword.

No, all the Nintendo producers said was that they hinted that the mysterious woman would be someone Zelda veterans would recognize. Most kind of figured she was Impa at that point. They never said she'd be the same Impa though.

Last dungeon is amazing.

the architecture and music was soooooo old school Zelda, like something out of Zelda II. Then the Triforce areas were really great and it was nice collecting them. And then the way that Sky Keep plugs into the Sealed Grounds explains why that area looked so fucking weird. Very cool.

Only thing I didn't like was how the dungeon took the forms of the other 3 areas in the game. It was kind of old school how they did that, but I would have preferred the entire dungeon to look like it does when you first enter it. It was so ethereal and evocative of the early days of the series

BY2K

Membero Americo
People think they're so funny when they call Skyward Sword "Wii Sport".

See how hard I'm laughing? I'm DYING over here!

Red

How is this not an origin story? The end game plot is almost completely based on it being the first one.
It explains that Zelda is the reincarnate of Hylia meaning first of all that SS Zelda was the first Zelda. Second of all it explains why Zelda has some sort of special power and why people always try to kidnap her. It also explains the origin of Link and why he constantly appears throughout time. Demise and his defeat also explains the origin of the majority of Zelda villains. I don't see how this is not an origin story since it details the origin of the three most important characters in the Zelda series as well as the Master Sword.

No, all the Nintendo producers said was that they hinted that the mysterious woman would be someone Zelda veterans would recognize. Most kind of figured she was Impa at that point. They never said she'd be the same Impa though.
Thanks for clearing up
Impa
for me.

The rest I disagree on.
Hylia is a Deus Ex Machina in the most literal sense. Demise was a pointless character whose entire purpose exists through exposition. He pulls a Ganon "I'll be back" at the end, but that doesn't make for a good story. He exists just to exist, no motivation except gaining power, empty threats involving an inevitable future evil. Zelda and Link being the first Hylians is fine, but it's like they just decide on a whim, "hey wouldn't it be neat if..." at the end. It's whimsical and childlike sure, but more fairy tale than legend I guess. There's no importance placed on the decision.

I guess I have a problem with the basic idea of "this all happened because it was supposed to happen." And then, "it will all happen again because it's supposed to happen again." There's some higher power controlling events, but it's never unclouded and remains an overbearing force.

It robs your characters of any autonomy when you base every single one of their actions around fate.

McNum

Is there a good place to get Rupees when you're close to the end? I seem to be hovering a 50-1000 Rupees all the time, but I got a wallet that'll hold much more, I just can't find a good spot for them. Any advice?

This is going to be a stupid question, but what's up with the red goblins and blocking? It seems like they change their blocking from top, right and left, but no matter where I slash them they just block it. Is the only way to hit them waiting for them to start an attack and hope your reflexes are fast enough to hit them first?

You're "telegraphing" your attacks. They see you readying your sword, and they block accordingly. You've got to be quicker.

MisterHero

Is there a good place to get Rupees when you're close to the end? I seem to be hovering a 50-1000 Rupees all the time, but I got a wallet that'll hold much more, I just can't find a good spot for them. Any advice?
--Fun Fun Island / Top prize is 500
--Thrill Digger / Chance for Silver and Gold Rupees
--Selling bugs to Stritch / I don't have a full breakdown but I think I've seen 1, 30, and 40 or 50 per piece based on the rarity of the bug.
--Rupit's Nightly Treasure Business / the same pricing as bugs
--Lumpy Pumpkin / 50 per successful game with pumpkin carrying
--20 everytime you clean Pipit's House
--I think the top Rupee prize in
Boss Rush
is 500

Carry the Rupee and Treasure Medals if you have them

I never use the beetle unless the puzzle requires it. You guys are weird.
Yeah it's not really fun until the 1st upgrade

You can scare Bokoblins by chasing them with it, or you can throw beehives on them

It's Groose-level awesome

I think next time I'm in Skyloft I'll try to throw a beehive at someone

Sagitario

I'm a bit surprised by the lack of love for Ghirahim's theme in this thread. Seems to be missing from most people's OST lists.

I like it, but I much prefer his final battle theme :D

Boss rush mode. If you win the last fight, your wallet will be full.

leroidys

Ummm... fuck????

I just did
lanayru last
but I think I may have still got the gamebreaking bug.

I descended into the area, and upon getting there absolutely nothing happened. Am I boned?

FreeMufasa

It would have been nice if they had a little open field under Skyloft that connected the three areas. This game has it all, Twilight realm from TP, ocean from WW, helpful companion from OOT. The field could have been similar to MM where it's pretty small but has a few stuff to do in it.

One more thing I felt was missing in SS were holes. The ones you dropped down into in OOT/MM/WW. I thought they were absent from TP aswell but replaying it now and i've found one.

Ummm... fuck????

I just did
lanayru last
but I think I may have still got the gamebreaking bug.

I descended into the area, and upon getting there absolutely nothing happened. Am I boned?

No. That is the one area that nothing is supposed to happen when you descend. There is zero chance of the glitch occurring if you do that area last.

EDIT: According to some sources I've found it seems that the cause of the glitch is specifically related to
the Goron in Lanayru (the one that blocks the path to the Thunder Dragon at first). Apparently, the specific cause is talking to said Goron after learning Lanayru's part of the Song of the Hero before having gotten the Faron or Eldin sections. For some reason, talking to him after the Lanayru part makes the game think you've done the Eldin and Faron parts already even if you haven't. As such, doing Lanayru last is completely safe.

I think entire Zelda titles should be built around the design and atmospheric philosophies of the last dungeon in Skyward.

IMO, here are the standout dungeons of the 3D Zeldas, in terms of what I believe hits the "Zelda atmosphere" the most:

Forest Temple, Ocarina of Time
Stone Tower Temple, Majora's Mask
Temple of Time, Twilight Princess
City in the Sky, Twilight Princess
Hyrule Castle, Twilight Princess
Sky Keep
, Skyward Sword

MisterHero

I did Lanaryu first because I wanted the
absurdly sturdy shield

and no I didn't plan that by reading spoilers, I found a Gossip Stone who told me :p

I think entire Zelda titles should be built around the design and atmospheric philosophies of the last dungeon in Skyward.

IMO, here are the standout dungeons of the 3D Zeldas, in terms of what I believe hits the "Zelda atmosphere" the most:

Sky Keep
, Skyward Sword

I'd have definitely put Arbiters Ground in there. Nah, forget that, put all of TP's dungeons in there.

Salih

i totally agree. the last dungeon was the best one. It really had that old-skool-Zelda atmosphere.

getting the triforce-parts was magical. really reminded me of Zelda I.

MisterHero

For the last dungeon, has anyone discovered
if there's a configuration that connects all the rooms?

I beat it already but this has me curious

McNum

Thanks for the tip about rushing boses for fun and profit. The early ones are just sad now that I've got the
True Master Sword
. I did it for the two neat things you could get off it, but if I defeat all the bosses I've unlocked, it's 2000 Rupees. That's a nice sum, just need to survive them all.

Also, about that item you get from it...
Why does the Hylian Shield have a durability meter? To show me that it doesn't drop?

MisterHero

[Last dungeon spoilers]

The answer is
_____yes____
Thanks for that, it seems I was really lazy in trying to find out. :p The extra twist of not being able to move your own room taunted me for a while but I opted for the consolation prize that was the Triforce

peakish

My posts are reaching blog status now, but this whole evening I've felt restless and wanted to play more and more and more Zelda. But it's over. And the next one is five years away. I've got Xenoblade left to finish on the Wii but can't bother to pick that up, it just seems slow and pointless and boring after this. FML

Yes I know of Hero Mode but I'm not going to replay the game yet. Time to let it rest but maaan.

Edit: Phew letting off steam like that helped. Maybe I'll go back to Monster Hunter tomorrow, or start Shining Force 2.

Sky Keep
, Skyward Sword

This would be the list for me:
Forest Temple, Ocarina
Spirit Temple, Ocarina
Stone Tower Temple, Majora's
Tower of the Gods, Wind Waker
Arbiter's Ground, TP
Snowpeak Ruins, TP
City in the Sky, TP
Ancient Cistern, SS
Sand Ship, SS

MechaX

Okay, I beat the 5th Dungeon and... Fi didn't spoil anything for me. Odd.

However, she did do a considerable "DERP" moment towards the end of the dungeon.
*Giant octopus tentacles crash through the ship and the ship starts sinking* "... Master, I think the ship is under attack."

Theonik

I did Lanaryu first because I wanted the
absurdly sturdy shield

and no I didn't plan that by reading spoilers, I found a Gossip Stone who told me :p
I went, forest, Lanayru, eldin volcano.
Kinda felt that this made sense at that time. Forest because I knew where the
Water Dragon was
Then I though that Fi mentioned them in that order and was curious what
the missing part of the map was and needed to collect some tumble-weed too.

I like it, but I much prefer his final battle theme
I guess so, but still not even an honourable mention? :O

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay, this is really pissing me off. I'm at the
final Girahim fight still
and its the first time the stab has consistently failed to work for me.
I counter with my shield and go to stab and Link consistently does overhead slash instead

EDIT: it keeps happening and I'm really getting frustrated. Link keeps doing the vertical circular slash instead.

EDIT 2: This is bizzare. Sometimes thrusting the remote causes my shield to thrust forward instead. I have no clue what I'm doing wrong.

I'd have definitely put Arbiters Ground in there. Nah, forget that, put all of TP's dungeons in there.

Yeah see, this is perhaps why I do think so highly of Twilight Princess. A lot of the dungeons do in fact do boast some reminiscence of "dat Zelda atmosphere" so despite some of TP's problems I love the game just because of the art direction, atmosphere, etc.

I could have listed more dungeons, I just wanted to hit the ones that do it for me the most. Otherwise I could have put several more.

Top Bottom