• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

I too just finished Skyward Sword and absolutely loved it. I had it pretty much since launch and picked at it a little in the beginning but never got really into it. Then recently I played again and it just totally grabbed me.

I understand why it got such fantastic reviews now. The story was amazing, loved the controls, and the music was excellent. I really loved the sections with the Timeshift stones, I thought that was very clever.

I was sad to see it end, I enjoyed it so much.

Same for me. I bought it day 1, got about 20 hours in then stopped playing. Now I just got the last dungeon and I'm just fucking loving this game. Got me super hyped for Wind Waker HD since I never played it, and even more hyped for the next Wii U Zelda game.

Sayah

After a year of keeping this in the shrinkwrap, I'm finally playing it. Not sure why I delayed it. It's really amazing. Already at the desert area. My only disappointments would be:

1. The motion controls are really annoying at certain points.
2. You have the most boring sidekick imaginable. This is nothing like Midna. Could have used some humor here and there rather than calculations, statistics and analysis.
3. If I already picked up a bug/item once, I shouldn't have to read the summary again.

It really is a wonderful game through and through... When I see people badmouthing it, I get sad they didn't have the same experience I did.

Gambit

Last weekend I've started this game up again (the Hyrule Historia convinced me). When I stopped (over a year ago!) I was on my way to the second dungeon (in that volcano area). Anyway, I played for a bit and enjoyed it, so I've decided to clear the game out of my backlog.

Yesterday I moved on to the desert. Now my question: Is this the best desert area in any video game to date?

Man, those time-shift stones are an awesome idea. It's incredible to see the grass and trees of the past right next to the desert. Combine that with robots and electric-baton-wielding enemies and the upgraded beetle and you get one great area.

Anyway, I stopped playing when I entered the mine (dungeon 3). Can't wait to continue tonight.

spekkeh

Banned
I thought it was a bit.... barren.

badum-tsh.

No seriously, I loved the timestones but there was too much traversal going on for something that most of the time lacked a nice aesthetic experience.

Gambit

I thought it was a bit.... barren.

badum-tsh.

No seriously, I loved the timestones but there was too much traversal going on for something that most of the time lacked a nice aesthetic experience.

really? Usually I would agree, as most desert areas are, by nature, not particularly vibrant aesthetically. However, I thought the clash of a barren desert with the lush green of the past was incredible. Especially as it ended so aprubtly where the reach of the timestone ended.

For example, there is a (floating) rock in the middle of one area. When you hit the timestone inside this rock, a full tree comes back to life on top of the rock.

And judging by what Anihawk said, it will continue to be good. Can't wait.

spekkeh

Banned
Yeah that was awesome, but you're going to be there for quite a while throughout the game, meaning that for me at least the initial 'nice effect' starts to wear thin. But horses for courses, I'm incredibly jaded.

Gambit

Fought the imprisoned yesterday and made my first trip to the silent realm. The fight with the imprisoned was really cool, especially how you swing your sword upwards to knock the seal back into its head. It felt like something out of a Studi Ghibli film.

The silent realm was not too much of a nuisance. I messed up the first time round, but finished it without much difficulty on the second attempt.

Before that, I finished the third dungeon, which was also good. The "leaf blower" is a good item and only reminded me again how much I wanted Luigi's Mansion with Wiimote controls. Also, I enjoyed that the dungeon forced me to use the new item, as well as bombs and the beetle. With the last few Zeldas I've often been disappointed that the items you get are only important for that one dungeon. Here they make you use your whole arsenal. Hopefully this trend continues.

Now my biggest relief of the game: handling the harp seems to be easy. After Spirit Tracks I was worried about the new instrument. ST always came to a complete halt for me when you had to blow in the mic. God, I hated that, and even though I quite liked the rest of the game, it nearly made me shelf it for good.

Oh yes, Fi seems to become less annoying. She still states the obvious and repeats whatever I just learned, but her dancing and singing made her a bit more endearing. Still no Midna, though.

Mistle

Glad to see some positivity in this thread for a change. Around launch I had to avoid these threads because all the negativity was starting to effect my enjoyment of the game. I started becoming overly critical, to no benefit.

Eccocid

the desert is consistently the best area in the game.

I am at there right now looking for power generators. Guh no matter how much i try, i think Zelda games are not for me. Due to slow progression and too much on traversal puzzles it bores me to death. Especially desert. When i saw the map first time i was like oh man this is a huge area must be tons of puzzles and feels like a hassle already!

Will try to push myself to finish the desert today, hopefully.

squid

I've not played many Zelda games before (only OoT 3D, which I loved, and the first half of WindWaker), but I think I might go for Skyward Sword since the WiiU isn't exactly overflowing with games at the moment.

What should I expect? How many hours will it take? Would it be rough going back to it (being Wii graphics) after playing launch WiiU games? Also, is the combat pretty much the same as the Zelda mini-game in Nintendoland? Because that's fun, but I find it a bit tiring after a while :p

ASIS

I've not played many Zelda games before (only OoT 3D, which I loved, and the first half of WindWaker), but I think I might go for Skyward Sword since the WiiU isn't exactly overflowing with games at the moment.

What should I expect? How many hours will it take? Would it be rough going back to it (being Wii graphics) after playing launch WiiU games? Also, is the combat pretty much the same as the Zelda mini-game in Nintendoland? Because that's fun, but I find it a bit tiring after a while :p

Depends on whether you are going for 100% or not. If yes, about 40-50 hours, if not then 20-30. This is also assuming you won't be using a guide, if you are then you can take about 5 hours (hint: don't use a guide, the game is pretty self-explanatory and it has its share of handholding).

The combat is similar to Nintendoland but Its a bit slower, so your arms won't tire even if you do a 5 hour session. Its also less responsive and requires more practice.

Graphically speaking, I thought the game looks beautiful and playing it on Wii U will make things much better, there is a blur filter in the game, so don't be surprised if the background have a "water color" effect.

The gameplay, like all Zelda titles, focus on a few key elements. Don't expect an OoT sequel or you might be disappointed. The world is not big in scope, so you won't be going to new regions all the time. Instead, you will mainly play in the same world presented in the first third over and over with different objectives and puzzles. This is the main cause for the polarizing reactions of the game. So you need to check it out for yourself. The dungeons are also small in scope (smaller than even OoT). But there are also tons of things to do in there. The game is mostly focused on puzzles and combat, so if you liked Battle quest, I suppose you will enjoy this as well.

The pace is also another cause for conflict in the impressions. You won't be doing the same thing in a region. The pace can go from hectic to calm to intense in a single session. This, coupled with the linear pregression turned some people away so I can't say whether you will like it or not.

The music, story, and puzzles are among the best in the series. Overall I thought SS was an amazing game and you should definitely give it a shot. Whether you will like it or not is all up to you.

leroidys

Fought the imprisoned yesterday and made my first trip to the silent realm. The fight with the imprisoned was really cool, especially how you swing your sword upwards to knock the seal back into its head. It felt like something out of a Studi Ghibli film.

The silent realm was not too much of a nuisance. I messed up the first time round, but finished it without much difficulty on the second attempt.

Before that, I finished the third dungeon, which was also good. The "leaf blower" is a good item and only reminded me again how much I wanted Luigi's Mansion with Wiimote controls. Also, I enjoyed that the dungeon forced me to use the new item, as well as bombs and the beetle. With the last few Zeldas I've often been disappointed that the items you get are only important for that one dungeon. Here they make you use your whole arsenal. Hopefully this trend continues.

Now my biggest relief of the game: handling the harp seems to be easy. After Spirit Tracks I was worried about the new instrument. ST always came to a complete halt for me when you had to blow in the mic. God, I hated that, and even though I quite liked the rest of the game, it nearly made me shelf it for good.

Oh yes, Fi seems to become less annoying. She still states the obvious and repeats whatever I just learned, but her dancing and singing made her a bit more endearing. Still no Midna, though.

I was still disappointed by the item usage in SS. It is always patently obvious which weapon is required, and if its not, fi literally says USE BOMBS HERE or whatever. For me, this is functionally identical to not reusing items at all. The point of utilizing a large arsenal, to me, is to make more intricate and varied puzzles.

squid

Depends on whether you are going for 100% or not. If yes, about 40-50 hours, if not then 20-30. This is also assuming you won't be using a guide, if you are then you can take about 5 hours (hint: don't use a guide, the game is pretty self-explanatory and it has its share of handholding).

The combat is similar to Nintendoland but Its a bit slower, so your arms won't tire even if you do a 5 hour session. Its also less responsive and requires more practice.

Graphically speaking, I thought the game looks beautiful and playing it on Wii U will make things much better, there is a blur filter in the game, so don't be surprised if the background have a "water color" effect.

The gameplay, like all Zelda titles, focus on a few key elements. Don't expect an OoT sequel or you might be disappointed. The world is not big in scope, so you won't be going to new regions all the time. Instead, you will mainly play in the same world presented in the first third over and over with different objectives and puzzles. This is the main cause for the polarizing reactions of the game. So you need to check it out for yourself. The dungeons are also small in scope (smaller than even OoT). But there are also tons of things to do in there. The game is mostly focused on puzzles and combat, so if you liked Battle quest, I suppose you will enjoy this as well.

The pace is also another cause for conflict in the impressions. You won't be doing the same thing in a region. The pace can go from hectic to calm to intense in a single session. This, coupled with the linear pregression turned some people away so I can't say whether you will like it or not.

The music, story, and puzzles are among the best in the series. Overall I thought SS was an amazing game and you should definitely give it a shot. Whether you will like it or not is all up to you.

Thanks for the reply, very informative :)

I don't mind the sound of small dungeons, and the length, pacing, graphics and combat all sound fine. The music does sound awesome from what I've heard (E3 presentations). I'm not sure if I'll like the lack of many different areas, but I won't know until I try I guess! I'll have a look around for a good price and give it a go.

ASIS

Thanks for the reply, very informative :)

I don't mind the sound of small dungeons, and the length, pacing, graphics and combat all sound fine. The music does sound awesome from what I've heard (E3 presentations). I'm not sure if I'll like the lack of many different areas, but I won't know until I try I guess! I'll have a look around for a good price and give it a go.

Just as a note, I realized that I made a mistake in the length part. The game won't take you 5 hours to complete with a guide, I meant you can take out about 5 hours from my proposed length :p

Reading it again I felt like I miscommunicated that.

squid

Just as a note, I realized that I made a mistake in the length part. The game won't take you 5 hours to complete with a guide, I meant you can take out about 5 hours from my proposed length :p

Reading it again I felt like I miscommunicated that.

No worries. I won't use a guide, so the game will take me a little longer.

By the way, when I think of some of my favourite parts of OoT, I think of a lot of non-dungeon/overworld parts, e.g. Gerudo Valley, Kakariko Village, Hyrule Castle, and the last couple of hours of the game. Does Skyward Sword have much like that? Many interesting villages or side-quests?

ASIS

No worries. I won't use a guide, so the game will take me a little longer.

By the way, when I think of some of my favourite parts of OoT, I think of a lot of non-dungeon/overworld parts, e.g. Gerudo Valley, Kakariko Village, Hyrule Castle, and the last couple of hours of the game. Does Skyward Sword have much like that? Many interesting villages or side-quests?

I'm not sure how to answer this...Ok, I will post a series of lines in spoiler tags and you can click on them to see my thoughts on it. Don't worry, none of it will spoil the game for you per say. But they do kind of have an element of surprise to them, so its as you like.

Villages:
There is only one village in the game, akin to clock town in Majora's Mask, only a bit smaller. You won't be going to a lot of different towns or any of that. Instead, you will keep returning to your town and there will be some new things to do. It's probably one of the best towns in the series though.

Overworld:
The reason why this game was a bit smaller in scope is because the overworld has some dungeon-esque elements to it. So depending on what you enjoyed in that game. You will either have a blast in the overworld or you will hate it. For instance, areas such as Gerudo Valley, Zora River, etc. aren't available here. What you will find is sort of like a playground where there is no starting point or ending point. Imagine something like.. say death mountain, in the structure of hyrule field, only a bit smaller but with more things to do in it.... Does that make any sense? :S. Its a very different structure so I think someone else can explain this better than I can. Also, some of the things you will do in the overworld can get a tad repetitive

Side Quests:
As I said, most side quests will take place in that one town, but they are much more NPC centric than OoT. They really have more character and some of them will have multiple facets that you will uncover throughout the game. Again, different from OOT, but I thought it was superior.

Mini games: Ok this one doesn't need a spoiler tag. I'll just say SS has more varied mini games, but I liked the ones in OOT more.

Another thing to note is that this game has a lot of references to old games. So you if you know a bit of the Zelda lore then it will enhance your experience with the non-dungeon segments.

EDIT: WTF HAPPENED TO GAF?!!

squid

I'm not sure how to answer this...Ok, I will post a series of lines in spoiler tags and you can click on them to see my thoughts on it. Don't worry, none of it will spoil the game for you per say. But they do kind of have an element of surprise to them, so its as you like.

Villages:
There is only one village in the game, akin to clock town in Majora's Mask, only a bit smaller. You won't be going to a lot of different towns or any of that. Instead, you will keep returning to your town and there will be some new things to do. It's probably one of the best towns in the series though.

Overworld:
The reason why this game was a bit smaller in scope is because the overworld has some dungeon-esque elements to it. So depending on what you enjoyed in that game. You will either have a blast in the overworld or you will hate it. For instance, areas such as Gerudo Valley, Zora River, etc. aren't available here. What you will find is sort of like a playground where there is no starting point or ending point. Imagine something like.. say death mountain, in the structure of hyrule field, only a bit smaller but with more things to do in it.... Does that make any sense? :S. Its a very different structure so I think someone else can explain this better than I can. Also, some of the things you will do in the overworld can get a tad repetitive

Side Quests:
As I said, most side quests will take place in that one town, but they are much more NPC centric than OoT. They really have more character and some of them will have multiple facets that you will uncover throughout the game. Again, different from OOT, but I thought it was superior.

Mini games: Ok this one doesn't need a spoiler tag. I'll just say SS has more varied mini games, but I liked the ones in OOT more.

Another thing to note is that this game has a lot of references to old games. So you if you know a bit of the Zelda lore then it will enhance your experience with the non-dungeon segments.

EDIT: WTF HAPPENED TO GAF?!!

Cool, thanks for your impressions. The overworld structure sounds interesting. Glad to hear the main town is good, with some interesting npc characters. Looking forward to trying out the game!

Gambit

Glad to see some positivity in this thread for a change. Around launch I had to avoid these threads because all the negativity was starting to effect my enjoyment of the game. I started becoming overly critical, to no benefit.

Yea, it's happened to me as well that negativity in a thread influences my own enjoyment. One tends to be more nitpicking. But so far I've completely brushed it off for this game. Loving it more every time I play.

I am at there right now looking for power generators. Guh no matter how much i try, i think Zelda games are not for me. Due to slow progression and too much on traversal puzzles it bores me to death. Especially desert. When i saw the map first time i was like oh man this is a huge area must be tons of puzzles and feels like a hassle already!

Will try to push myself to finish the desert today, hopefully.

That's a shame. For me the traversal puzzles, as you call them, are a big reason I am enjoying it so much. It's basically a dungeon structure to even get to the dungeon, and since those have always been my favourite part of Zelda, I am more than happy. But I can see how it might be boring to someone else.

Of course the graphics are not comparable to HD consoles, but the artstyle goes a long way towards making it beautiful, at times. It looks very colourful and has some nice vistas. Wasn't a big problem for me to go back.

I was still disappointed by the item usage in SS. It is always patently obvious which weapon is required, and if its not, fi literally says USE BOMBS HERE or whatever. For me, this is functionally identical to not reusing items at all. The point of utilizing a large arsenal, to me, is to make more intricate and varied puzzles.

So far, I have only finished three dungeons and am at the beginning of the fourth, so I have no idea, how the rest of the game will play out. Yes, so far, it has been obvious which weapon you need. But I don't quite agree that it's the same as, for example, ONLY using the leaf blower for all puzzles in the dungeon. To Zelda veterans, it will always be relatively clear what you need, but at least now it can be any of your items, instead of just the one you got in that dungeon. So I think the puzzles are more varied.

For example, in the last dungeon, I had to blow at the top of a platform to make it move. Then throw bombs into statues to knock em down, before moving the platform again. Next, I used the beetle to switch on a different, distant time crystal to make a different platform appear. Yes, I knew what to do, but the single puzzle involved very different actions: judge how far to move the platform, (not fall of the platform), throwing the bombs in the right holes, and gyro-aiming the beetle. It's a step in the right direction and I hope it continues throughout the game.

squid

So I finally picked this up. Really enjoying it so far. I'm up to
the entrance of the Earth Dungeon.
So not that far in (I assume).

I really like the art style, the motion controls have worked well so far, the music is great and the story-telling is very good. The introduction part of the game, while fairly long and hand-holdy, really brings you into it's world and characters. I love how they portray Zelda and her relationship with Link. She's a much more interesting character than in other Zelda games I've played.

I haven't minded the overworld/sky so far, but I haven't spent too much time in it yet, and I can see it getting tedious after a while. Skyloft is very cool though. I really enjoy exploring it, meeting it's characters, doing side-quests and going to the bazaar. One of my highlights of the game so far though?
Breaking the chandelier at the Lumpy Pumpkin! That was hilarious :D It's a cool place too.

Onikaan

Skyward Sword is the first Zelda I had a real hard time getting into. It was breaking my heart. Bought the Limited Edition on release day and I just finished it a week ago. I very slowly worked through the first half of the game. Thankfully once I'd reached that half way marker I couldn't put it down and was all smiles.

I think my real problem was the controller. I was being stubborn and just did not want to make the effort in swinging my sword in one direction, and then in another, especially when it felt like it wasn't working 20% of the time.
That first Ghirahim fight... boy did I rage.

However, I got over that hurdle and I have to say I really enjoyed it.

More please.

The last hour of the game is magnificent

I think it's a step in the right direction, though. I was very surprised to find I had to utilise items I'd found in previous dungeons.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I'm considering starting the game up again tomorrow.

I'm up for replaying it!

I just replayed TP for the first time in six years. I'll probably hold off on my Skyward Sword replay for a couple more years, considering the absurdity of my backlog. Looking forward to going through Wind Waker for the third time later this year though!

Speaking of replaying TP, I kept trying to charge up my sword by holding the Wiimote upright, ala Skyward Sword. Even in the last few dungeons, I was still doing it. It made me realise how much I actually loved it in SS.

Onikaan

I just replayed TP for the first time in six years. I'll probably hold off on my Skyward Sword replay for a couple more years, considering the absurdity of my backlog. Looking forward to going through Wind Waker for the third time later this year though!

Speaking of replaying TP, I kept trying to charge up my sword by holding the Wiimote upright, ala Skyward Sword. Even in the last few dungeons, I was still doing it. It made me realise how much I actually loved it in SS.

I'll tell ya, tried to play TP after I'd finished SS. The controls felt awful!

So I can agree with you there. My attitude toward the motion control has done a 180.

TrueBlue

Just defeated Koloktos and got the first Sacred Flame. Really enjoying myself thus far, the Mining Facility and Ancient Cistern dungeons were awesome.

ASIS

So I finally picked this up. Really enjoying it so far. I'm up to
the entrance of the Earth Dungeon.
So not that far in (I assume).

I really like the art style, the motion controls have worked well so far, the music is great and the story-telling is very good. The introduction part of the game, while fairly long and hand-holdy, really brings you into it's world and characters. I love how they portray Zelda and her relationship with Link. She's a much more interesting character than in other Zelda games I've played.

I haven't minded the overworld/sky so far, but I haven't spent too much time in it yet, and I can see it getting tedious after a while. Skyloft is very cool though. I really enjoy exploring it, meeting it's characters, doing side-quests and going to the bazaar. One of my highlights of the game so far though?
Breaking the chandelier at the Lumpy Pumpkin! That was hilarious :D It's a cool place too.

Please keep us updated, I'm interested to know how you are enjoying the game, and whether my impressions were accurate or not :p.

TrueBlue

Finished this a couple of days ago. On the whole I really enjoyed it. Loved the dungeon design, the engaging story and characters, the art style, the combat and the music.

Gambit

Finally sat down and played the next dungeon. I am really enjoying the game, but am having such a hard time finishing console games these days. Anyway, I won't buy anything else till I've finished Zelda.

Last night I played the second dungeon in the wood area. It was fantastic!

I loved the looks of the dungeon, with water surrounding a giant statue. It was even better when I went to the lowest floor, which looked completely different. No longer sandy and warm, but dark and damp. With chains hanging from the walls, spiked walls and zombie Goblins lurching after you. I also really liked it when you had to climb up a rope and they followed you and tried to drag you down.

It was a very unique dungeon for the Zelda series.

To top it all off, there was a Shiva-like, mechanical boss that kept hacking at me with all its swords. Until finally you unhook its arms and use its own giant sword to hack back. Man, it almost felt like Bayonetta.

Whenever I play the game again, I can't understand why I let so much time pass since I had last played. It is always a lot of fun, very imaginative and basically shows that Nintendo still has a certain magic every other published is missing.

PS: The whip makes me feel like Indy.

peakish

Finally sat down and played the next dungeon. I am really enjoying the game, but am having such a hard time finishing console games these days. Anyway, I won't buy anything else till I've finished Zelda.

Last night I played the second dungeon in the wood area. It was fantastic!

I loved the looks of the dungeon, with water surrounding a giant statue. It was even better when I went to the lowest floor, which looked completely different. No longer sandy and warm, but dark and damp. With chains hanging from the walls, spiked walls and zombie Goblins lurching after you. I also really liked it when you had to climb up a rope and they followed you and tried to drag you down.

It was a very unique dungeon for the Zelda series.

To top it all off, there was a Shiva-like, mechanical boss that kept hacking at me with all its swords. Until finally you unhook its arms and use its own giant sword to hack back. Man, it almost felt like Bayonetta.
Fantastic dungeon, the one which really kicked things into high gear for me. It even kept accelerating from there, the late half of the game is just stellar. Also, a lot of the boss fights (this in particular) feel like actual fights rather than just hitting weak spots with the dungeon item - better done here than in any other 3D Zelda. Love it.

Whenever I play the game again, I can't understand why I let so much time pass since I had last played. It is always a lot of fun, very imaginative and basically shows that Nintendo still has a certain magic every other published is missing.

PS: The whip makes me feel like Indy.
I played a bit of it with my sister back at my parents place again a few months ago, and that was the remaining impression I had afterwards. I see a lot of the (in my eyes) flaws that people complain about in it, but it has so much imagination in dungeon and area design that I'll forgive it any day of the week.

Gambit

Fantastic dungeon, the one which really kicked things into high gear for me. It even kept accelerating from there, the late half of the game is just stellar.

You're making me want to continue playing right away. An even better second half? Halleluljah!

I played a bit of it with my sister back at my parents place again a few months ago, and that was the remaining impression I had afterwards. I see a lot of the (in my eyes) flaws that people complain about in it, but it has so much imagination in dungeon and area design that I'll forgive it any day of the week.

Yes, I can see flaws as well. But they are dwarfed by all the things the game does right.

peakish

You're making me want to continue playing right away. An even better second half? Halleluljah!
Well with the caveat that some of the between-dungeon sequences are polarising. I quite enjoyed them all personally, more so than those before the first dungeons, and you might as well! Especially if you're taking your time and not rushing through anything, which was how I played it at the time (I think the game as a whole works better with this approach, then again I think most apart from shooters do).

The dungeons remain top-notch, hallelujah on that!

Finished the game....finally.

Two things:

1. First two fights with Ghirahim were frustrating

2. Final dungeon puzzle....fuck that garbage

Overall: 8/10

Volotaire

Finished the game....finally.

Two things:

1. First two fights with Ghirahim were frustrating

2. Final dungeon puzzle....fuck that garbage

Overall: 8/10

Really I thought the final dungeon was brilliant. The endgame boss was appropriately epic, and thank god the wii remote controls worked at this time.

Oh man guys, this game. This fucking game right here

Is excellent

I bought the limited edition at launch and got about two dungeons in, but now with not much else to play on Wii U - and no money to buy new games - and a general desire to beat more Zelda games - I just finished the sixth dungeon and enjoying the hell out of this game.

I can see the complaints about the handholding but it's not as intrusive as other people make it out to be imo. Easy, perhaps - I haven't gotten a game over yet though I've had a few close calls with fairies - but reasonably challenging and fun. I've only been using guides for heart pieces and gratitude crystals and etc. The side quests are interesting too, they give everyone a bit more personality. It reminds me of Sonic Unleashed's side quests that gave every character a back story and dreams. Also the story kicks ass. My favorite moment so far has been
Link saving Zelda and Impa at the last second from Ghirahim, and the game letting you drop an action movie hero line on her. Who says Link doesn't have personality?

Of the 3D Zeldas, I've only beaten Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess, and this is looking to be #3. I'm almost willing to say it's the best one, but I guess we'll see.

Volotaire

Oh man guys, this game. This fucking game right here

Is excellent

I bought the limited edition at launch and got about two dungeons in, but now with not much else to play on Wii U - and no money to buy new games - and a general desire to beat more Zelda games - I just finished the sixth dungeon and enjoying the hell out of this game.

I can see the complaints about the handholding but it's not as intrusive as other people make it out to be imo. Easy, perhaps - I haven't gotten a game over yet though I've had a few close calls with fairies - but reasonably challenging and fun. I've only been using guides for heart pieces and gratitude crystals and etc. The side quests are interesting too, they give everyone a bit more personality. It reminds me of Sonic Unleashed's side quests that gave every character a back story and dreams. Also the story kicks ass. My favorite moment so far has been
Link saving Zelda and Impa at the last second from Ghirahim, and the game letting you drop an action movie hero line on her. Who says Link doesn't have personality?

Of the 3D Zeldas, I've only beaten Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess, and this is looking to be #3. I'm almost willing to say it's the best one, but I guess we'll see.

I think you might really enjoy Majoras Mask due the other side quests.

Also wait for the last dungeon, it's something great!

1184975_10201910655146756_914711862_n.jpg

This game rocks.

Gambit

Two nights ago, I finally completed the game. "finally", because it took me forever, not because I wanted it to be over.

To me the game is excellent. I think it might be my favourite 3D Zelda since Ocarina.
TP has the best dungeons, WW the best Link & Zelda, MM the best difficulty, but Skyward Sword had the best mix.

I love the layout of the game. Even the path to a dungeon feels like a dungeon.
In addition, I very much enjoyed the motion controls. In fact, I think it will be a step back to lose them. Curiously though, I really loved them for all the items, and not as much for the sword. With the sword they felt like work.

Anyway, great, great game.

Now I only have two more Wii games left, before I am "done" with the console. Prime 3 (which I stopped halfway through) and Sin & Punishment 2.

elektrixx

Banned
Finally finished Skyward Sword today. By far the worst Zelda I've ever played and one of the most infuriating control schemes of all time. Sword direction is very unreliable. At the final boss where
I'm supposed to catch a lightning bolt I'd hold up my remote but Link on screen would be holding the sword in front of him.

Every sword fight in the game is pure luck. I know it's not my fault because over the years of trying to go through this pile of shit I've played this on Wii, PC and Wii U dragging my save all along across different TV's and remotes.

CassSept

Every sword fight in the game is pure luck. I know it's not my fault because over the years of trying to go through this pile of shit I've played this on Wii, PC and Wii U dragging my save all along across different TV's and remotes.

Wouldn't that actually imply that it is your fault?

Top Bottom