• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

mernst23

So, count me in as one of the people who got back to faron woods and was like "the same dungeon again, f this" and wound up not playing for 6 months. I recently beat the game, honestly I think it sucks that you can get to a point in the game were you can't go finish the rest of sidequests/cubes/hearts/etc. It really pisses me off that I have to restart the game and move the story at a snails pace to really complete it fully. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the game but that was frustrating.

effzee

So, count me in as one of the people who got back to faron woods and was like "the same dungeon again, f this" and wound up not playing for 6 months. I recently beat the game, honestly I think it sucks that you can get to a point in the game were you can't go finish the rest of sidequests/cubes/hearts/etc. It really pisses me off that I have to restart the game and move the story at a snails pace to really complete it fully. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the game but that was frustrating.

Wait so if I continue with the game I will get to a point where I can't just stop the main quest and do the side quests?

I am up-to the part where a dungeon (or something similar) is formed under the Goddess temple on Skyloft. I still have things on the side I want to do, like the gratitude crystals and some other sidequests.

nan0

Huh? IIRC, the point of no return is pretty much just before the final boss
es
and Fi will explicitly ask you, if you "are ready". I think you can safely play through the dungeon you just opened. I remember getting back to Skyloft after the events after that dungeon.

effzee

es
and Fi will explicitly ask you, if you "are ready". I think you can safely play through the dungeon you just opened. I remember getting back to Skyloft after the events after that dungeon.

K cool thanks. Btw the dungeon in question is awesome!

mernst23

es

Once I finished the dungeon and proceeded to the location of the boss battle, I was unable to return to skyloft.

nan0

Once I finished the dungeon and proceeded to the location of the boss battle, I was unable to return to skyloft.

Yeah,
after the waves of enemies down the "spiral"
right? Before that (where the temple is) I'm very sure that I could go back. And since you can't save after you enganged the bosses anyway, you'll still have a save as long as you don't start over in hero mode.

effzee

So now I'm at the point where the Demise has returned and I have the choice to go battle or do other things. I opted out of battle for now.

I have 78 gratitude crystals and havent turned uncle bats into human yet. I also didnt finish the boss and secret realm challenges the dragon from Lanyuru offers. What prize does he offer? The sacred shield?

What am I missing? How do I get the remaining crystals? I used dowsing and can't seem to pick up the scent for anymore crystals.

nan0

I have 78 gratitude crystals and havent turned uncle bats into human yet. I also didnt finish the boss and secret realm challenges the dragon from Lanyuru offers. What prize does he offer? The sacred shield?

Yes
. As said before, its not required, but I found it a nice addition.

I was in love with this game early on, but I think I'm starting to burn out real quick. I'm working on getting the Sacred Flames right now
(just healed Faron)
, and the idea of all this back-tracking is wearing thin. Not having a lot of fun with the swimming controls either.

Do the dungeons get any better from this point, or is what I've experienced so far par for the course? I love the art style and controls so far, but the dungeon design has been weak, imo.

Do the dungeons get any better from this point, or is what I've experienced so far par for the course? I love the art style and controls so far, but the dungeon design has been weak, imo.

You think the dungeon design has been weak? I think it's probably the strongest aspect of the game. I thought the last few dungeons were excellent - the final one is quite neat - but if you haven't been liking them thus far, I doubt your mind will be changed by the end of the game.

You think the dungeon design has been weak? I think it's probably the strongest aspect of the game. I thought the last few dungeons were excellent - the final one is quite neat - but if you haven't been liking them thus far, I doubt your mind will be changed by the end of the game.
I shouldn't have said weak, but they've been kind of simple and straightforward so far. I think it's the stuff leading up to the actual dungeons that are grinding me out. Not a fan of all the dowsing fetch quests in here.

I shouldn't have said weak, but they've been kind of simple and straightforward so far. I think it's the stuff leading up to the actual dungeons that are grinding me out. Not a fan of all the dowsing fetch quests in here.

They're certainly straightforward, and that design concept is consistent throughout the game. I won't spoil the final dungeon, but it's different enough that it might be enjoyable for you.

And yeah, the pre-dungeon stuff can feel boring and unnecessary. Be prepared for more fetch quests, unfortunately.

zlatko

Banned
Played this with my g/f this weekend. Got it for 15 bucks and invested in wii m + for 17 bucks. Great deal.

The first 2 hours were bruuuuuutal, and we stopped at the first forest dungeon. We passed the controller back and forth taking turns, but I swear 90% of it was spent reading which sucked that the intro/tutorial area was that long and dull.

I hope the rest of the game is more game being played.

effzee

I guess I just know that even if a Zelda game starts of slow, that it's going to be amazing. Nitpicks aside each and every Zelda I have ever played has been a great overall experience.

I'm at the final battle now. At the point where Fi warns me that if I go after Demise I can't come back. I first went back into the sky and finished some of the side quests I had left behind. Kinda scared to go into the final battle. I have two heart potions, one fairy, and one invincible potion. Good enough to proceed?

I'm at the final battle now. At the point where Fi warns me that if I go after Demise I can't come back. I first went back into the sky and finished some of the side quests I had left behind. Kinda scared to go into the final battle. I have two heart potions, one fairy, and one invincible potion. Good enough to proceed?

Yes.

It'll go a bit more smoothly if you get the special reward from the thunder dragon.

effzee

Just beat the game. The ending is pretty cool.

The Demise battle wasn't as tough as I thought it would be. Or maybe I scared myself and went into the battle with 1 invincible potion and two ++Heart Potions. Oh and one fairy.

So the takeaway is that Ganondorf is the constant reincarnation of the Demise's curse on Zelda and Link?

AniHawk

Just beat the game. The ending is pretty cool.

The Demise battle wasn't as tough as I thought it would be. Or maybe I scared myself and went into the battle with 1 invincible potion and two ++Heart Potions. Oh and one fairy.

So the takeaway is that Ganondorf is the constant reincarnation of the Demise's curse on Zelda and Link?

or whatever villain threatens hyrule. ganondorf is the most long-lived version of the curse though.

effzee

or whatever villain threatens hyrule. ganondorf is the most long-lived version of the curse though.

Pretty neat way to tie it into the story.

Its hard for me to rank this game overall right now but I found it to be an amazing experience. I played with large breaks in between (like months at a time) so it took me a long time. I also put in total 72 hours and enjoyed doing everything. Definitely one of my favorite games of all time.

Jarmel

Banned
About to start Temple of Time(Dungeon 3). Not impressed at all with the game and I have a lot of issues with it. I'll hold out and see if it picks up.

About to start Temple of Time(Dungeon 3). Not impressed at all with the game and I have a lot of issues with it. I'll hold out and see if it picks up.

I just finished that temple. I did not like the game before that too. It took me quite a while( days) to figure out some stuff) It was awesome dungeon.

effzee

It gets much much better.

Motion controls almost gave me a nervous breakdown in the final boss. But yeah, in theory is a relatively easy boss.

Well it would have for me but out of fear I took the invincible potion which let me just attack without any worry about losing hearts.

The visual and atmosphere was awesome. The game also had some of the best writing I have seen in a Zelda game.

Just picked up a copy of this on the weekend and finally have a reason to dust off my Wii. Really enjoying it so far. Looking forward to losing myself in it over the next few weeks.

That's my favorite dungeon in the whole series. But if you haven't enjoyed that part of the game up to that point, maybe keep your expectations in check.

I got to the middle of the first dungeon and I feel like the game is pretty boring. Is there any reason to stick with it? I'm barely enjoying it... :(

FYI - I don't want to be dismissive. I get why some people would like this game and production values are amazing, but for some reason it isn't working for me...

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I got to the middle of the first dungeon and I feel like the game is pretty boring. Is there any reason to stick with it? I'm barely enjoying it... :(

FYI - I don't want to be dismissive. I get why some people would like this game and production values are amazing, but for some reason it isn't working for me...

It's quite common to find the first dungeon the worst. I found the first area the worst as well. It does get a load better, stick with it!

Bladenic

Bought this from Best Buy at $15 and now I'm getting my Wii this weekend. Ordering a MotionPlus and starting next week. Excited, hope I like it as much as Wind Waker which I adore. But otherwise I'm not huge into Zelda I'm afraid, so we'll see.

effzee

Well if you are a fan of the Zelda series then yeah why wouldn't you play past the first dungeon? it gets much better and has probably the most content of any Zelda game.

oatmeal

Banned
Picked up this game again after finishing it around release...at Christmas I started a Hero Quest and got past the first two dungeons. So I picked it up on my way to Lanayru.

Game is pretty good overall, but damnit, the music is so good.

I listen to the soundtrack all of the time.

And oddly enough, one of my favorite tracks is the Bamboo cutting game room. So serene. Love it.

MarkusRJR

Okay... this is going to sound pretty stupid and confusing but I'm stuck at a really strange part. I just beat the first dungeon for the second time (DAMN YOU BACKTRACKING!) and I'm on my way to return the sacred water. I haven't played for a while so I google'd a walkthrough and it told me to land by the waterfall and to go from there. I have no clue what to do. I've tried playing the harp by the waterfall and jumping into the waterfall but I don't know how to return the water to the dragon. Could someone possibly help? I assume I must be doing something completely wrong. :p

AniHawk

Okay... this is going to sound pretty stupid and confusing but I'm stuck at a really strange part. I just beat the first dungeon for the second time (DAMN YOU BACKTRACKING!) and I'm on my way to return the sacred water. I haven't played for a while so I google'd a walkthrough and it told me to land by the waterfall and to go from there. I have no clue what to do. I've tried playing the harp by the waterfall and jumping into the waterfall but I don't know how to return the water to the dragon. Could someone possibly help? I assume I must be doing something completely wrong. :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIspoFZ317k#t=36m45s

anastazius

Neo Member
I'm not 100% sure, but as all wiiware sortware is accessible through Wii Mode, I don't see any reason why the Skyward Sword gamesave patch app wouldn't work on Wii U. Hope that helps, buddy...

anastazius

Neo Member
Ah yeah, the patch is a WiiWare application you download though the Wii's Shopping Channel WiiWare page. Its a free download, and once installed it searches for a Skyward Sword gamesave, then patches it for you, so you can overcome the bug / glitch near the end of the game.

please do not have so many silent relam and fetch quest in next zelda. please have horse and one giant world back. please have more areas. Twilight princess was much much better game. i am in last temple currently.

flattie

For those that are a bit LTTP on this one, you can get the UK version brand new for £17 from here right now. Great value considering Nintendo games don't tend to drop in price over time.

For those that are a bit LTTP on this one, you can get the UK version brand new for £17 from here right now. Great value considering Nintendo games don't tend to drop in price over time.

I find Zelda games tend to be the exception to that rule. You can get Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass for about £10-15, though with those... you get what you pay for!

v1oz

I finally finished Skyward Sword after about a year of playing it on and off in small bursts (I spend more time playing Xbox 360). Skyward Sword really becomes a massive bore towards the end, especially those spirit realm fetch quests which send you around backtracking. The only thing that saves this game is the final battle with Demise which is gorgeous and fun (but not quite up to the level of the Ganon battle at the end of Wind Waker). But I think the motion controls make the sword duelling worse, because the thing sometimes misses gestures during the heat of battle. Also throughout the game I didn't bother upgrading my weapons or carrying potions. Which I think is a design oversight - other games will punish you for not upgrading or using magic potions etc in battle. Finally for some reason they managed to make the overworld even worse than Twilight Princess this time. And the NPC's are not as interesting as OOT. In many ways Skyward Sword is a step backwards for the series.

Adamator

I too just finished Skyward Sword and absolutely loved it. I had it pretty much since launch and picked at it a little in the beginning but never got really into it. Then recently I played again and it just totally grabbed me.

I understand why it got such fantastic reviews now. The story was amazing, loved the controls, and the music was excellent. I really loved the sections with the Timeshift stones, I thought that was very clever.

I was sad to see it end, I enjoyed it so much.

Top Bottom