• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

oatmeal

Banned
Mael said:
It's in the CD :lol

The music so far is really good for a Zelda game.
I mean do you remember the dungeon music of OoT or WW?
Because I sure don't, the 1rst dungeon is the best 1rst dungeon I've played in a Zelda game since...Link's Awakening?
And I'm not only talking of the music either.

Since OoT I've gotten used to the fact that 80% of the time you'll spend hearing a music that's just not that good.
I was pleasantly surprised when I heard the overworld theme of MM, TP and ST but they're the exceptions.

Yeah, but I mean in game.

And easy on WW's music.

The theme song and Dragon Roost are still some of the best songs in Zelda.

Mael

oatmeal said:
Yeah, but I mean in game.

I know :p

oatmeal said:
And easy on WW's music.

The theme song and Dragon Roost are still some of the best songs in Zelda.

WW's music CAN be good! the Dragon Island theme for example is some of the very best I've heard in a game....but you spend a whole lot of 5 sec in that place and there's nothing to do in it. Thank god for the OST!
The theme song is not that good and the overworld music is goddamn boring fitting for the worst overworld in Zelda.
The music for the intro is something of legend though.
I was really surprised how in SS the music is not grating at all at any time so far.
I still prefer Tp's music for the overworld though.
Which reminds me that I prefer the music in TP while playing compared to WW despite the OST of WW being vastly better than the OST of TP

So a few weeks ago I decided to wish for the Limited Edtion as an xmas gift, instead spending money I don't have.

Now today I see that the regular edition is sold for half the price in a lot of places around in Copenhagen... must... resist... urge to buy... fffffff!

Kai

For those that finished the game - is there some solid tie ins to other games (not just OOT) from a story point of view?

No spoilers obviously but just a yes or no....

Sort of on the level of WW tie in to Ocarina with the sage paintings in the castle under the water and hero of time references?

kiryogi

Banned
oatmeal said:
Oh my Christ...

Get to the water dragon...

I NEED SPIRIT WATER BEFORE I CAN HELP YOU

It's seriously ridiculous.

I loved the personality and everything, but what you're expected to do after that was pretty WTF and started to sour me on the game a little.

Mael

Despite everything Xenoblade is still the better game I think, then again that was confirmed when they removed the overworld

I've lost the plot to this thread.

Near as I can tell, the game is terrible but great, backwards but forwards, fun but tedious, inventive but derivative, with controls that work perfectly except for the 99% of the time when they don't, and they don't add anything except for all the things they add.

Should be fun.

ShockingAlberto said:

Near as I can tell, the game is terrible but great, backwards but forwards, fun but tedious, inventive but derivative, with controls that work perfectly except for the 99% of the time when they don't, and they don't add anything except for all the things they add.

Should be fun.
Heh me too. I'm not quite sure what to expect anymore. But overall I've lowered my expectations by a fair amount, as it the game does seem to fall through in some of areas where the series needed improvement.

But of course any game, in a long series, that breaks the pattern is going to get mixed responses.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
ShockingAlberto said:

Should be fun.

Hahahaha.

I guess the best lesson one can gleam from this thread is: fuck other people's opinion, you'll be the ultimate judge whether you will enjoy it or not and no one should convince you otherwise.

Social

ShockingAlberto said:

Should be fun.

you didn't lose the plot AT ALL my good man

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
ShockingAlberto said:

Should be fun.

That sounds about right.

teeny

ShockingAlberto said:

Should be fun.

I think the issue is that, simply, people look for different things in a Zelda game. Ive just finished the first dungeon and the game does feel different and new, but it also has that familiarity that this is Zelda, and you will be doing Zelda esque things. People are pretty much guaranteed to have mixed responses.

I actually really liked the intro. It was long, but built up the relationship between the different characters on Skyloft. The first dungeon was easy, but suitable. Combat is excellent, except for thrusting. I nearly died to a Skulltula because it was registering my thrusts as slashes.

Fi is also irritating. The one thing I really wish Nintendo implements next time round is the ability to shut off the companion character's comments on what you should be doing and when.

Apart from that, so far so very good.

demolitio

I can't believe how clever they were with the graphics in this game. They disguise the weaker hardware with not only a great art style, but some clever tricks as well. It really does look like a watercolor painting at a distance instead of being a jaggy, low polygon mess while the rest of the world in front of you looks detailed and unique with the art-style making low resolution textures look good enough for you not to care since it's not a realistic setting.

I wish more developers pulled shit like this off because it really works here and the game looks really beautiful at times. Art-style like this can make up for hardware any day...

Is it release time yet? :D

cajunator

Banned
Mael said:
I know :p

WW's music CAN be good! the Dragon Island theme for example is some of the very best I've heard in a game....but you spend a whole lot of 5 sec in that place and there's nothing to do in it. Thank god for the OST!
The theme song is not that good and the overworld music is goddamn boring fitting for the worst overworld in Zelda.
The music for the intro is something of legend though.
I was really surprised how in SS the music is not grating at all at any time so far.
I still prefer Tp's music for the overworld though.
Which reminds me that I prefer the music in TP while playing compared to WW despite the OST of WW being vastly better than the OST of TP
I am certain this is a troll post because Wind Waker's music is absolutely god-tier stuff of legend.

Laughing Banana said:
Hahahaha.

I guess the best lesson one can gleam from this thread is: fuck other people's opinion, you'll be the ultimate judge whether you will enjoy it or not and no one should convince you otherwise.
Oh I see it the other way actually. I think my hype and expectations would have been way too high if it wasn't for this thread (and from the fact that reviews weren't all super-dupy happy about the game).
I will most certainly make my own opinion about it when I start playing, but I think I'll head into it in more realistic manner.

Besides people tend to use too much hyperbole when describing both the good and the bad about it.

Kai said:
For those that finished the game - is there some solid tie ins to other games (not just OOT) from a story point of view?

No spoilers obviously but just a yes or no....

Sort of on the level of WW tie in to Ocarina with the sage paintings in the castle under the water and hero of time references?
A bit, but far from the level everyone expected (not even on Twilight Princess fan service level). By the end, they have room for infinite interquels between Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time because nothing really "fits" together.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
IT'S HAPPENING TODAY!

OMFGGGGGGGGGGGG

shibbs

Picked up mine last night. Didn't have the time to play yet but tonight it's on! Lights out, drinks, some weed and we're good to go!

Mael

demolitio said:
I can't believe how clever they were with the graphics in this game. They disguise the weaker hardware with not only a great art style, but some clever tricks as well. It really does look like a watercolor painting at a distance instead of being a jaggy, low polygon mess while the rest of the world in front of you looks detailed and unique with the art-style making low resolution textures look good enough for you not to care since it's not a realistic setting.

I wish more developers pulled shit like this off because it really works here and the game looks really beautiful at times. Art-style like this can make up for hardware any day...

Is it release time yet? :D

In a good way it reminds me of Romancing Saga actually.
The way everything meshes together is kinda like it although it misses the alive painting look that Square Enix managed to do in some scenes.
That's high praise in my book!

Metroid Killer said:
Oh I see it the other way actually. I think my hype and expectations would have been way too high if it wasn't for this thread (and from the fact that reviews weren't all super-dupy happy about the game).
I will most certainly make my own opinion about it when I start playing, but I think I'll head into it in more realistic manner.

Besides people tend to use too much hyperbole when describing both the good and the bad about it.

Yeah actually that's right on the money, I went in with the lowest expectation possible (still higher than what I have for SM3DL since I actually did buy SS) and I can't believe how they managed to make something awesome and yet do some incredibly dumb mistakes like what they did to the overworld.

cajunator said:
I am certain this is a troll post because Wind Waker's music is absolutely god-tier stuff of legend.

the OST is awesome, it's just too bad that most of the playtime is spent listening to the worst parts.

Just think and just want to hear what anyone that want Voice acting in the game would you be happy if the Voice acting was in Hyrule? eg like Ico

cajunator

Banned
My expectations for this game are incredibly sky high and I certainly do not think I will be disappointed in the least with this game.
I wanted more puzzle based overworld, great memorable music, new creature races, a colorful art style, and motion based gameplay. This seems to tick every box on my list.
The things people have mentioned as negatives seem inconsequential to what I personally expect and enjoy in Zelda games.
I am not bothered by long or short intros, tutorials, a lack of sidequests, or linear structure.
In fact, I see most of those things as pluses.
What I want is beautiful music, charming characters, creative dungeons, interesting controls, and linear progression.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Metroid Killer said:
Didn't you pick it up yesterday? How dare you to be happy two days in a row!!
Haha, yeah I got it yesterday! But I decided to wait... because FRIIIIIIIIDAY is king!

Mael

jump_button said:
Just think and just want to hear what anyone that want Voice acting in the game would you be happy if the Voice acting was in Hyrule? eg like Ico
????????

I was about to comment how the overworld is not filled with puzzle and all but I'm not too far in the game and I kinda don't have enough items anyway to assess the value of the places on the ground.

I already know that this game will be my fav 3 hearts run! Well 6 hearts run I guess...
Man I'm not that far and I've already been challenged way more in this game than in pretty much all 3D Zelda bar Master Quest.

I kinda hope that the dungeons don't all follow the usual way :
easy puzzles with THAT ONE PUZZLE that is kinda hard and need time to be figured out.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
My Limited Edition copy arrived, time to section myself away from the whole Internet now (except for GameFAQs, because I am only human.)

See you in a week's time!

cajunator

Banned
Mael said:
the OST is awesome, it's just too bad that most of the playtime is spent listening to the worst parts.

The main theme and ocean themes are my favorite music from the game.
I am fan of Irish themed music and I love the rolling drums (similar to Twilight Princess overworld theme). It was incredibly fun and unforgettable music.

Mael said:
Yeah actually that's right on the money, I went in with the lowest expectation possible (still higher than what I have for SM3DL since I actually did buy SS) and I can't believe how they managed to make something awesome and yet do some incredibly dumb mistakes like what they did to the overworld.
And I think that's one of the reasons many fans of Nintendo series react so passionately around these new games.

Eventhough I've absolutely loved most of Nintendo's big titles this generation, it has been bugging for hours that in most games everytime they go two steps forward they take one step backwards.

They fix or improve some aspect of a game but they fucking mess up in another area which was fine as it already was or they introduce a new worthless gimmick.

I guess the Galaxy games have been the closest we have gotten to a Nintendo game where everything is just... better (but they still had to include those birdflying, and ball rolling motion games, just to put a dirty spot on the title.)

Mael

cajunator said:
The main theme and ocean themes are my favorite music from the game.
I am fan of Irish themed music and I love the rolling drums (similar to Twilight Princess overworld theme). It was incredibly fun and unforgettable music.
Ah! We'll have to agree to disagree then I found them pretty much like the overworld : boring.
It's still better than the overworld music of OoT though.

Metroid Killer said:
And think that's one of the reasons many fans of Nintendo series react so passionate around these new games.

Eventhough I've absolutely loved most of Nintendo's big titles this generation, it has been bugging for hours that in most games everytime they go two steps forward they take one step backwards.

They fix or improve some aspect of a game but they fucking mess up in another area which was fine as it already was or they introduce a new worthless gimmick.

I guess the Galaxy games have been the closest we have gotten to a Nintendo game where everything is just... better (but they still had to include those birdflying, and ball rolling motion games, just to put a dirty spot on the title.)
Personnally I'd say Metroid is closer to that with the way Retro handled it.
Or maybe NSMBW which is pretty much the perfect game for me, I think I even like the OST!
But the problem in SS is more galling because it's mainly problems that could have been easily fixed in a way.
I'd be perfectly content if I'm proved wrong and you can actually access all the grounds locations without having to reach for the skies kinda like in Metroid Fusion where all the areas are connected together.

jump_button said:

Nope. Real languages are fine, but Nintendo would have to hire a competent voice director and scriptwriter so we don't end up with another Other M. Keep Link silent, of course.

The Xtortionist said:
Nope. Real languages are fine, but Nintendo would have to hire a competent voice director and scriptwriter so we don't end up with another Other M. Keep Link silent, of course.
You mean like other competent developers have done for decades now?

Frillen

Mael said:
Yes,
they're 1/4th again.

Great. Haven't been following this Zelda game as much as the previous entries, but one of the aspects I love about Zelda games is finding all the heart pieces.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Waiting Christmas for playing this will be hard. At least, i'll have Mario 3D Land to play before it comes :p

Edit: ^I have nothing goddamn it! ;_;
The Xtortionist said:
Yes. Daunting, I know.

Oh, and add "voice volume" to the options menu so purists can mute everything if they so please.
Honestly that would be awesome if they did that. You'll never get the entire fanbase to like voice acting no matter how great it would be, having options would be cool. But then again, if a good amount of the players turn of the voices Nintendo probably don't see any reason to do it in the first place.

weeaboo

Mael said:

The game is good and I'm enjoying it a lot but is just not perfect. SS is a genuine new approach to the series and as something new has flaws. I have a solid list of solid complaints but nothing game breaking. I mean, geez, there's a lot of hate-hyperbole in this thread.

Dascu

Metroid Killer said:
Edit: ^I have nothing goddamn it! ;_;
Honestly that would be awesome if they did that. You'll never get the entire fanbase to like voice acting no matter how great it would be, having options would be cool. But then again, if a good amount of the players turn of the voices Nintendo probably don't see any reason to do it in the first place.
It's not that I don't want voice-acting in Zelda, I wouldn't mind much.

It's just that A) It's so terribly low on my priority list for what needs to be fixed, that I'd be pissed off if they spend time and effort on that instead of working on other more important things,

and B) I'd prefer a more minimalistic, mysterious story and that would best be suited with zero to no dialogue and even if then, I think I'd rather have gibberish or a fake language.

Mael

weeaboo said:
The game is good and I'm enjoying it a lot but is just not perfect. SS is a genuine new approach to the series and as something new has flaws. I have a solid list of solid complaints but nothing game breaking. I mean, geez, there's a lot of hate-hyperbole in this thread.
Did you voice them already or anything that might be interesting.
Heck for example the way they handled anything pointing is kinda weird seeing how it worked flawlessly in WSR for example.

sinxtanx

I finally have it! asdfgafdsg

And our boss told us we could go home earlier today because of work awesomely done!

asdasdfhasghdfash

Dascu said:
It's not that I don't want voice-acting in Zelda, I wouldn't mind much.

It's just that A) It's so terribly low on my priority list for what needs to be fixed, that I'd be pissed off if they spend time and effort on that instead of working on other more important things,

and B) I'd prefer a more minimalistic, mysterious story and that would best be suited with zero to no dialogue and even if then, I think I'd rather have gibberish or a fake language.
I would prefer a Zelda that went for option B personally as well.

But most of the main console Zeldas have been filled with text and dialogue and the way I see it, is that if they are going in the direction of having the narrative spelt out by cutscenes and NPC dialogue, why not go all the way and add voice-acting.

It's a minor detail, but I could see how the immersion could benefit from it, and for example the opening from Wind Waker could have been better with a good narrator.

I doubt Nintendo could do it properly (see Other M)

ASIS

oh my god..

Let me just say, Pipit is my favorite NPC in the game (and no, this has nothing to do with the story or anything significant)

We can discuss it after everyone here finishes the game. But honestly this game has so much personality it's sickening.

weeaboo

Mael said:
Did you voice them already or anything that might be interesting.
Heck for example the way they handled anything pointing is kinda weird seeing how it worked flawlessly in WSR for example.

I haven't finished the game! I rather wait to judge it but seriously, the motion controls are not THAT BAD. The problem with them are mostly when you need to do quickly movements.

Amir0x

Banned
Boney said:
I guess something like 999 isn't engaging then?

edit: I know you're gonna say it's not.

Well since you knew my answer I don't know why you bothered asking! Seems kind of a cool power you have.

I'll answer in general terms, since people who think 999 have good writing were clearly bonkers beyond helping, but a text game's form of 'challenge' is in the type of mental gymnastics it makes you go through in order to complete the game. If they're legitimately thought provoking challenges and make you really think (they're clever, in other words), then that is a challenge that would feel rewarding upon completion. If it fails to be engaging in this way, and if it's not engaging me intellectually (if it's poorly written, in other words) then it's going to fail to meet the criteria.

Text games are not magically exempt.

Top Bottom