• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Nintendo-4Life said:
oh my god..

Let me just say, Pipit is my favorite NPC in the game (and no, this has nothing to do with the story or anything significant)

We can discuss it after everyone here finishes the game. But honestly this game has so much personality it's sickening.

Is he the friendly skyloft knight dude?

I think my favourites are probably -

Fledge -
sidequest to take him from weedy loser to press up master
Batreaux -
he reminds me of the bat who enhances your magic ability in LTTP. I find it kinda funny that the little kid is hanging out with this weirdo dude and Link keeps it a secret from the parents that he's actually a monster / potential pedophile
Cawlin -
I felt genuinely bad when I gave his love letter to the toilet ghost and he started crying, and worse still when he was getting nightmares because of the ghost basically molesting him in his sleep. His little heh heh heh noise when he talks about Groose being a wuss is quite funny too.
Karane -
probably the cutest NPC
Scrapper -
Mistress Fi and Master Shortpants
Mia the Remlit - and the way she wins over the teacher
Item Check girl - constantly thinks you're there to check her out, and has pretty much "checked out" herself - she looks bored as hell all the time.

Groose is king of the NPCs in the game though. The Legend of Groose.

Amir0x

Banned
Dmax3901 said:
Jesus Christ. Are people actually reading all that?

fucking hell. Someone participates and actually puts in the effort to respond to people by fulling explaining his thoughts, and that is the attitude toward it? Don't read it if you don't want - don't be a douchebag to people who actually want to contribute to worthwhile conversation. You're just showing how inept you are in the saying of it.

Cwarrior

OMGOGMGSOGMGO I got call telling me I just had zelda come in by post at home, can't play it to later.

been on media black out but is this shit about childhood friend and love triangle real?

If real who the fuck put animu in my zerda *face palm*

Cyborg

So IGN gives it 10.....and gamespot 8.5.

Tell me...Whats the right score? I want to buy it but Im still a lil bit affraid it will dissapoint.

Help?

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Cyborg said:

Tell me...Whats the right score? I want to buy it but Im still a lil bit affraid it will dissapoint.

Help?

If you're disappointed by game scores that get AN 8.5....you got issues

Cwarrior said:
OMGOGMGSOGMGO I got call telling me I just had zelda come in by post at home, can't play it to later.

been on media black out but is this shit about childhood friend and love triangle real?

If real who the fuck put animu in my zerda *face palm*
Prepare yourself for the absolute worst, all your fears that probably involve moe and out of place fan service is about to become a horrifying reality!
it's not

Amir0x

Banned
Cyborg said:

Help?

Gamespot gave it a 7.5. There is no "right score." It's their individual opinion.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Hmmm... first thought Zelda was going to be late since the postman has been and there has been no sign of it. Checked my emails and noticed HMV is using a courier for this and it's been loaded onto the van this morning so hopefully he'll get here before I get home from work. I'm just worried that he'll pop round when there's no one in.

Cyborg said:

Help?

Holding off is the right move. Most Zelda games are terrible.

EDIT: I forgot sarcasm doesn't come through on the internet. I'm making fun of this post.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Cyborg said:

Help?

neither is right. both are right. it's always helpful to just plug in a movie you like into that situation and assess your feelings then. let's do it for both ign and gamespot:

DEMOLITION MAN stays true to the Stallone formula, carrying many of the same strengths and weaknesses that have been present for years. - 7.5

DEMOLITION MAN introduces full motion martial arts enabled by the Wesley Snipes accessory, which synchronizes bad guy movements with deadly actions while offering intuitive death scenes. - 10

see? we're just conditioned to view game reviews as unassailable, but it's easy to see how someone could miss what a masterpiece demoliton man is.

ASIS

radioheadrule83 said:
Is he the friendly skyloft knight dude?

I think my favourites are probably -

Fledge -
sidequest to take him from weedy loser to press up master
Batreaux -
he reminds me of the bat who enhances your magic ability in LTTP. I find it kinda funny that the little kid is hanging out with this weirdo dude and Link keeps it a secret from the parents that he's actually a monster / potential pedophile
Cawlin -
I felt genuinely bad when I gave his love letter to the toilet ghost and he started crying, and worse still when he was getting nightmares because of the ghost basically molesting him in his sleep. His little heh heh heh noise when he talks about Groose being a wuss is quite funny too.
Karane -
probably the cutest NPC
Scrapper -
Mistress Fi and Master Shortpants
Mia the Remlit - and the way she wins over the teacher
Item Check girl - constantly thinks you're there to check her out, and has pretty much "checked out" herself - she looks bored as hell all the time.

Groose is king of the NPCs in the game though. The Legend of Groose.
Yeah, the NPCs in this game are amazing.

The reason why he's my favorite (and he is the knight in yellow) is because
he always talks about how he's doing night patrol because he wants to, that it's noble for someone to do such a thing. But when you complete the minigame/sidequest with his mom (cleaning up the house) she says she doesn't want her son to know because he thinks it's a waste to give people money for something a person can do on his/her own. The truth, however, comes out the night after when you hear Pipit arguing with his mom. Apparently, he's doing night patrol because they are tight on money, and that's why he doesn't want her to spend it on stupid things like that, they can't afford it.

I'm sorry, but I didn't expect that kind of depth from the characters especially from the early impressions of some users/reviewers.

EDIT: BTW I still didn't do the Mia side quest, so maybe she will rank among the best.

ThaddeusMcGee said:
Holding off is the right move. Most Zelda games are terrible.

EDIT: I forgot sarcasm doesn't come through on the internet. I'm making fun of his post.

Before your edit I was going to say:

Do you know how this makes me feel? Furious! Outraged! Sick with anger!

Metroid Killer said:
You mean like other competent developers have done for decades now?

I can think of about 2 franchises that have games that aren't total embarrassments (relative to other media) in terms of writing and voice acting.

Cyborg said:
Whats yours?
bird.png
/10

radioheadrule83 said:
I can think of about 2 franchises that have games that aren't total embarrassments (relative to other media) in terms of writing and voice acting.
Yes it's one of the embarrasing part of video games, but if Legacy of Kain could do it in 97 (and do it even better in its sequel) and heck even in a Nintendo prduced game it could be done, then I'm sure that if Nintendo pulled themselves together they could actually do it right. (but who am I kidding, I'm sure we would get a fairly decent japanese voice acting while the english would be yet another embarassment)

beelzebozo said:

neither is right. both are right. it's always helpful to just plug in a movie you like into that situation and assess your feelings then. let's do it for both ign and gamespot:

DEMOLITION MAN stays true to the Stallone formula, carrying many of the same strengths and weaknesses that have been present for years. - 7.5

DEMOLITION MAN introduces full motion martial arts enabled by the Wesley Snipes accessory, which synchronizes bad guy movements with deadly actions while offering intuitive death scenes. - 10

see? we're just conditioned to view game reviews as unassailable, but it's easy to see how someone could miss what a masterpiece demoliton man is.

If all film reviews used gaming-review lexicon and summed up Wesley Snipes as a full motion martial arts accessory, I think I'd read more film reviews!

Dmax3901

Amir0x said:
fucking hell. Someone participates and actually puts in the effort to respond to people by fulling explaining his thoughts, and that is the attitude toward it? Don't read it if you don't want - don't be a douchebag to people who actually want to contribute to worthwhile conversation. You're just showing how inept you are in the saying of it.

Whoa there. Was just noting the monumental size of the post.

Nintendo-4Life said:
Yeah, the NPCs in this game are amazing.

The reason why he's my favorite (and he is the knight in yellow) is because
he always talks about how he's doing night patrol because he wants to, that it's noble for someone to do such a thing. But when you complete the minigame/sidequest with his mom (cleaning up the house) she says she doesn't want her son to know because he thinks it's a waste to give people money for something a person can do on his/her own. The truth, however, comes out the night after when you hear Pipit arguing with his mom. Apparently, he's doing night patrol because they are tight on money, and that's why he doesn't want her to spend it on stupid things like that, they can't afford it.

I'm sorry, but I didn't expect that kind of depth from the characters especially from the early impressions of some users/reviewers.

Ooh I haven't done that one yet, I can relate. I know that feel, Pipit

Metroid Killer said:
Yes it's one of the embarrasing part of video games, but if Legacy of Kain could do it in 97 (and do it even better in its sequel) and heck even in a Nintendo prduced game it could be done, then I'm sure that if Nintendo pulled themselves together they could actually do it right. (but who am I kidding, I'm sure we would get a fairly decent japanese voice acting while the english would be yet another embarassment)

When a TV show cast is going through an episode script before shooting, they'll often sit around a table and do a reading to get a sense of the material and develop the way they deliver their lines. That's what should happen in games, but instead, they just hire the usual voice talent (Cam Clarke etc), pay them to stand in a mic booth for a few hours and be done with it - hoping they can make it work later. For cut scenes, they should probably take the Rango route and film people acting in the same room together, it would be easier to have the animators work from a source than have the voice actors try and cram their words into a pre-defined animation. At the very least, the localisation teams should do readings in front of a focus group before they do translated recordings in order to get advice -- I think that's all it would take to see vast improvements. Get some people in who can say 'eh, that doesn't sound very natural', 'I think it would be better if he worded it like...', 'I'm not buying the emotion'. Metroid Other M's english VA was an abomination - I find it genuinely shocking how anyone involved on the localisation side could have sat there and been like, "yeah, this is good enough".

jonno394

8am - post man wakes me up with amazon package. it's Zelda - Happy

8.30am - put Zelda in my wii excited, Nothing happens. Take disc out, put it in again, nothing happens, put in another wii game, nothing happens, but in a GC game, nothing happens. WIi has stopped reading discs. VERY UNHAPPY

11am - Buy a preowned wii from GAME for £65, not very happy at all

11.30am - Put SKyward Sword in, experience the first half hour, could no longer care less that to play a £50 game I had to spend another £65!

jonno394 said:
8am - post man wakes me up with amazon package. it's Zelda - Happy

8.30am - put Zelda in my wii excited, Nothing happens. Take disc out, put it in again, nothing happens, put in another wii game, nothing happens, but in a GC game, nothing happens. WIi has stopped reading discs. VERY UNHAPPY

11am - Buy a preowned wii from GAME for £65, not very happy at all

11.30am - Put SKyward Sword in, experience the first half hour, could no longer care less that to play a £50 game I had to spend another £65!

Ouch, that sounds like an annoying morning

Mod your old Wii to play games off USB media. Better than having a broken, useless one. You'll probably actually still get some money for it on eBay if you allude to the fact that people can do that btw.

Haunted

ShockingAlberto said:
I've lost the plot to this thread.

Near as I can tell, the game is terrible but great, backwards but forwards, fun but tedious, inventive but derivative, with controls that work perfectly except for the 99% of the time when they don't, and they don't add anything except for all the things they add.

Should be fun.
It's not nearly as divisive a title as the comments would make you think.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Haunted said:
It's not nearly as divisive a title as the comments would make you think.
it isn't the opinions from people playing the game that is making this thread read so weirdly, it's the melodrama from those reading the impressions. Half the time I can't help but imagine some of these guys holding a Shakespearian skull in one hand and their other resting on their forehead, palm-facing out

Rez said:
it isn't the opinions from people playing the game that is making this thread read so weirdly, it's the melodrama from those reading the impressions. Half the time I can't help but imagine some of these guys holding a Shakespearian skull in one hand and their other resting on their forehead, palm-facing out
Yup, but it's understandable. As the first 'negative' impressions hit the community, they are taken and magnified, just by being among the first impressions. So in one way or another hyperbole is inevitable.

This is neogaf dude

Nicktendo86

Loving the game so far and am only three hours in. Still feels like I am on an extended tutorial but I like the feeling of being eased in with the new controls. Only criticism so far is with the limited edition remote, why oh why did they make the 1, 2 and b buttons white and not gold? They stick out like a sore thumb!

Dascu

Rez said:
To Wii or not to Wii.

cajunator

Banned
I don't know if I was crazy to do it, but I bought Zelda SS for an unemployed person I dont even know because everybody deserves Zelda in their life. I just hope they enjoy it.
I know I will.

weeaboo

cajunator said:
I don't know if I was crazy to do it, but I bought Zelda SS for an unemployed person I dont even know because everybody deserves Zelda in their life. I just hope they enjoy it.
I know I will.

You are a good penguin cajunator

Woffls

Got Skyward Sword and Mario 3D on my desk, right next to me. Not only am I working all day, but I'm going to see A Day to Remember straight after work, and won't be able to play either until tomorrow :( :( Hopefully my ears will still be working.

cajunator said:
I know I will.
As an unemployed person who can't afford to buy a copy on my own as well, you are truly a great person!

gdt

I'm getting a big, totally bad for you pizza for myself on Sunday. Stuffed crust with bacon bits. I'll put it the order, pick up Zelda at GS, get my pizza.

I SHALL BE PREPARED.

cajunator

Banned
butter_stick said:
How can you buy a game for someone you don't know?
I ordered it and set it up to be shipped it to them.
They were on the zeldagamesaid chat assisting the playthroughs and mentioned that they would have to wait to play SS because they were having a rough time. I know how fucked up unemployed situation can get. Not the first time I bought a game for somebody though. I guess it is a bit crazy. Someone is going to be happy playing the game when they couldnt before and thats what matters to me. As one Zelda fan to another I know the wait is excrutiating because I'm trying to stay sane waiting for my own copy now so I can imagine that not having the money to buy it in the first place is way worse. so I made a stranger happy, and that makes me happy. Win win.

ASIS

The Last One said:
Guys, i'm at the 4th dungeon. There are more than 6? Just say "Yes" or "no". I'm avoiding all the spoilers.
Still didn't beat the game so I don't know for sure :p

But how are you finding the game so far?

Rehynn

gdt5016 said:
I'm getting a big, totally bad for you pizza for myself on Sunday. Stuffed crust with bacon bits. I'll put it the order, pick up Zelda at GS, get my pizza.

I SHALL BE PREPARED.

Careful, you don't want any grease on that gold Wiimote.

Sinthetic

cajunator said:
I ordered it and set it up to be shipped it to them.
They were on the zeldagamesaid chat assisting the playthroughs and mentioned that they would have to wait to play SS because they were having a rough time. I know how fucked up unemployed situation can get. Not the first time I bought a game for somebody though. I guess it is a bit crazy. Someone is going to be happy playing the game when they couldnt before and thats what matters to me. As one Zelda fan to another I know the wait is excrutiating because I'm trying to stay sane waiting for my own copy now so I can imagine that not having the money to buy it in the first place is way worse. so I made a stranger happy, and that makes me happy. Win win.

Amazing, I take my Link hat off to you. Very rare to meet people like you around.

Top Bottom