• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Nintendo need to create some sort of "Are you a child?" question at the start of Zelda games. The insufferable starting pace of this game is driving me insane. Slow moving text boxes, and then out pops Fi to break it all down for me again in easy to digest coloured text and Issun style.

I just want to get to the fun game everyones been wildly rating 10/10 (not seeing it yet).

klier

To get, or not to get...?

I don't know what to do! I am a big Zelda/Nintendo fan, but my Wii has been unplugged since Galaxy 2, and I don't know if I want to fie it up again.....
Though of course, better to play Zelda with crap visuals then to play Skyrim with great visuals...

Dabookerman said:
Don't you mean fringe?
NBT (The official Neogaf Terminology Board) had a meeting a few months ago and determined that we are to use the word bangs when any discourse of the damsel in distress' wig is taking place in any given Zelda thread.

DaBuddaDa

klier said:

I don't know what to do! I am a big Zelda/Nintendo fan, but my Wii has been unplugged since Galaxy 2, and I don't know if I want to fie it up again.....
Though of course, better to play Zelda with crap visuals then to play Skyrim with great visuals...
Buy the stupid game, jesus man.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
5 MORE HOURRRRRRRSSSSSSSS

ASIS

Pie and Beans said:
Nintendo need to create some sort of "Are you a child?" question at the start of Zelda games. The insufferable starting pace of this game is driving me insane. Slow moving text boxes, and then out pops Fi to break it all down for me again in easy to digest coloured text and Issun style.

I just want to get to the fun game everyones been wildly rating 10/10 (not seeing it yet).
How far are you in the game?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
klier said:

....you're on the edge because you're not sure if you want to take five minutes to plug your Wii in?

klier

DaBuddaDa said:
Buy the stupid game, jesus man.

The thing is, I clearly would if I were swimming in money right now.
But I have a lot of bills to pay, and I wouldn't buy anything if Zelda wasn't here....damn :(

LOL guys, the problem isn't plugging in my (component YAY) cables. It's time and money.
But then again, there's nothing I want from the HD twins I don't already have, and Zelda is freaking Zelda.

I'm going to buy! Yes. I will call a childhood friend, and will will play Zelda like we did 15 years ago!

MicH

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but Bergsala (Nintendo distributor in Scandinavia) covered the front and back of the newspaper Metro (MetroXpress in Denmark) in Scandinavia. Pretty cool to see on your way to work.

Some pictures:

Frontpage:
Bt3R7l.jpg

Backpage:
CLZ2Rl.jpg

YES! YES! I came buckets, Zelda is out today in Europe.
Got my limited edition at GameStop but damn, this afternoon I have to go to my girlfriend's place.
SOON...

Scum

My Limited Edition just turned up, along with Super Mario 3DL! Fuck yeah... :D
...now I have to get ready to go to work! Fuck no! :<

(cross post from review thread)
Just wanted to say I was able to pick up the game a few days ago and it's brilliant.

The controls take a few minutes to get used to, but are extremely precise once you do. The trick is to only tilt the wiimote from the same spot while aiming/etc, not both move and tilt(which habitually you want to do). And to use the down dpad quick reset-center often whenever you need to.

The cinematics are wonderful! So classy and lively. The music overlays it perfectly and sets the mood in each scene. I'm loving the characters and the vibrant environments as well. And the graphics are amazingly crisp and clean.

This is one of the best zeldas I've played and I've beaten them all. I need to get further than the 2nd dungeon though :D lol.

9.5-10/10 from me so far!

FunkyMunkey said:
(cross post from review thread)
Just wanted to say I was able to pick up the game a few days ago and it's brilliant.

The controls take a few minutes to get used to, but are extremely precise once you do. The trick is to only tilt the wiimote from the same spot while aiming/etc, not both move and tilt(which habitually you want to do). And to use the down dpad quick reset-center often whenever you need to.

The cinematics are wonderful! So classy and lively. The music overlays it perfectly and sets the mood in each scene. I'm loving the characters and the vibrant environments as well. And the graphics are amazingly crisp and clean.

This is one of the best zeldas I've played and I've beaten them all. I need to get further than the 2nd dungeon though :D lol.

9.5-10/10 from me so far!
Sounds great man, thanks for the impressions. I can't wait for Sunday!

MicH said:
I don't know if this has been posted yet, but Bergsala (Nintendo distributor in Scandinavia) covered the front and back of the newspaper Metro (MetroXpress in Denmark) in Scandinavia. Pretty cool to see on your way to work.

Some pictures:

Frontpage:
http://i.imgur.com/Bt3R7l.jpg[IMG]

Backpage:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/CLZ2Rl.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]Oh nice, every MetroXpress stand I've run into today have been empty so I haven't seen it myself though.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I envy you europeans who will be able to play the game all weekend while us poor north americans will only have sunday.

At least i can comfort myself into playing more of Skyrim, so its not that bad.

Xane

oatmeal said:
I like Beedle in this one.

I've liked him since TWW because of his "HIIIIII" "THANK YOU!"

But now he has added sass, and that bastard dropped me out of a trap door!

That was awesome.

This game actually makes me want to find Rupees...which is great.
Hehe, and the wallets you can get in this game are INSANE!

Bisnic said:
I envy you europeans who will be able to play the game all weekend while us poor north americans will only have sunday.

At least i can comfort myself into playing more of Skyrim, so its not that bad.
Yeah I've never understood this concept. Getting a game on a Sunday? worst joke ever.

MicH

Metroid Killer said:
Oh nice, every MetroXpress stand I've run into today have been empty so I haven't seen it myself though.
I must have looked very surprised when I got to the train station and Zelda was everywhere. So I had to grab a paper myself :D Very cool, Bergsala often choose to advertise Super Mario instead of Zelda.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
butter_stick said:
You guys had an extra 5 days or so of Mario 3D, so it evens out.

No it doesnt, we havent played a console Zelda since 2006. There has been plenty of Marios since then!

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Played some more! Fire Dungeon is definitely an upgrade to the first dungeon but even then... short as hell. Boss fight was sweet though. Managed to see a few of the quirky stuff in the overworld and its similar to Wind Waker in many things but.. its just bare. FFS I saw a floating rock with a chest in it and that was it. After some playing around I finally got to the third area of the game and was immediately presented to some very nice design ideas that I feel I will see through the whole third area. So if I were to rank it... third area definitely is an upgrade. I didn't get to the dungeon though I got a very nice update to an item.

Getting used to the motion controls, but the truth is still stabbing and upward motions barely register. Sometimes it goes haywire. Oh and the finishing move many times fails. Otherwise the motion controls (when well centered) work amazingly well for some of the items. Will try and play some more today but I am just leeching off a bud XD!

Xane

Damn, just read the last 8 pages and I gotta say I'm really happy that I enjoyed the game as it is.
I had no expectations when I started the game, maybe this helped alot, but I devoured everything in this game and just now started to do the sidequests and I'm continuing to enjoy the game.
There's alot more than I previously thought, you just have to look for them - and maybe that's the problem some people have with the sidequests in this game.
The Gratitude Crystals makes you really wanna hunt for those sidequests, you never know what you'll get as a reward!
I'm currently at
Crystals and I fuckin' got
a huge wallet (5000 Rupees!)
! I'm curious what's next!
You really need to explore Skyloft alot more, at both day and night.

Just played the first hour and it was a pretty good intro. MUCH better than the shite intro of TP.

I can tell I'm already going to love the combat. Huge addition.

This game has wonderful art but it's a shame it has to run on Wii hardware because it's really quite ugly. Horrible IQ, aliasing, etc etc. There are times I can look past it but when you're running around Skyloft etc it just looks so bad. Real shame.

Got my copy yesterday. Only had enough time to boot it up and get to the title screen. Impressions so far; packaging: I was expecting the CD to be in a sleeve on the manual side, instead the box had a second disc slot where it is placed*. Game itself: I prefer the older Zelda style of the text and images opening to the Riding Epona around Hyrule Field style of more recent so I enjoyed the opening. I suppose Wind Waker got the best balance though (as the title screen bit wasn't so short with the panning round outlet island).
*-I'd say it was like the 2-disc Gamecube games are, expcept US gamecube packaging did that differently to European.

As for the US release. Do other companies do Sunday launches? (which sucks if you're in parts of America that close the stores that day) I'm wondering if the only reason Nintendo does is for the Nintendo World store launch party (it would be uppealing to attend on a Monday, say).

MicH said:

Some pictures:

Frontpage:
http://i.imgur.com/Bt3R7l.jpg
Backpage:
http://i.imgur.com/CLZ2Rl.jpg
Neat. Makes me wonder if Professor Layton will be taking over any newspapers again as has occured in the past (happed for the Lost Future, might have been US only)

But if anything it just adds confusion to the special edition/limited edition. I thought all first print runs were limited editions (as the front of the package says limited edition) but the remote bundle was the sepcial edition. Good to know Nintendo themselves (or their marketers) don't know either.

So...it's pretty good. The pacing is SO much better than Twilight Princess and if I were twelve years old, I'd fucking love this game.

My daughter who is six also adores this game. It's like reading a book at bedtime for her. I read everything. She makes the conversational decisions and I play relatively dumb with the puzzles and combat and let her figure everything out.

In this respect, it's a great game.

I can flat out say however that I am entirely over the Zelda series. I've just moved past it and the entire experience on the Wii.

As an opportunity to play with, read with and experience an adventure with my daughter however, this is great.

jonno394

Guys just running round SKyloft at the moment before plunging through the clouds for the first time.
Beedles shop
is flying round, can I stop it yet, if so how? I've tried throwing a pot but I can't reach the bell and i've tried the light attack with the blade.

ANy advice??

protonion

2:30 hours in. I still haven't entered the first dungeon!

I don't mind the slow start. Like every Zelda it is a very polished game and even at it's lows, it's an enjoyable experience.

The controls work fine and I hate motion controls. I wouldn't miss them but they are fun. Fi sucks.

Fans will like it but it is not the Mario Galaxy of the series. The 10s are wrong.

jonno394 said:
Guys just running round SKyloft at the moment before plunging through the clouds for the first time.
Beedles shop
is flying round, can I stop it yet, if so how? I've tried throwing a pot but I can't reach the bell and i've tried the light attack with the blade.

ANy advice??

You need a projectile item to ring the bell I think

Ragus

Banned
YES FINALLY SKYWARD SWORD IS IN MY HOUSE

But I have a problem: My wii is softmoded. If I choose to do Wii System Update through the DVD, can something wrong happen?

Foliorum Viridum said:
Just played the first hour and it was a pretty good intro. MUCH better than the shite intro of TP.

I can tell I'm already going to love the combat. Huge addition.

This game has wonderful art but it's a shame it has to run on Wii hardware because it's really quite ugly. Horrible IQ, aliasing, etc etc. There are times I can look past it but when you're running around Skyloft etc it just looks so bad. Real shame.

SCART or component cable? :D

I think that all nintendo games look really good on HDTV with component cables.

protonion said:

I don't mind the slow start. Like every Zelda it is a very polished game and even at it's lows, it's an enjoyable experience.

The controls work fine and I hate motion controls. I wouldn't miss them but they are fun. Fi sucks.

Fans will like it but it is not the Mario Galaxy of the series. The 10s are wrong.

Just felt like highlighting how premature your conclusion is.

The perfect Dark said:
SCART or component cable? :D

I think that all nintendo games look really good on HDTV with component cables.
Component.

It doesn't matter what cable you use, though, as the Wii simply doesn't have the raw power. Imagine this art in HD with no aliasing and better IQ etc. It would be INCREDIBLE.

Ragus said:
YES FINALLY SKYWARD SWORD IS IN MY HOUSE

But I have a problem: My wii is softmoded. If I choose to do Wii System Update through the DVD, can something wrong happen?

It will probably remove homebrew channels and any modified IOS' yes. If you want to ensure you retain full softmod functionality, look into installing and patching the IOS' yourself... I know there is a package floating around somewhere for that. Failing that, use a loader like CFG loader but choose the boot from disc option.

protonion said:

reviewing games, how does it work?

Ragus

Banned
radioheadrule83 said:
It will probably remove homebrew channels and any modified IOS' yes. If you want to ensure you retain full softmod functionality, look into installing and patching the IOS' yourself... I know there is a package floating around somewhere for that. Failing that, use a loader like CFG loader but choose the boot from disc option.

I don't mind loosing HBC. I only want my wii not to be bricked.

pringles

Listening to the Anniversary soundtrack CD. So good.

Waiting for my sister to come over so I can start up the game, she insisted that I NOT start playing without her.

New Zelda. Gold controller. Feels like christmas 98, almost.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
protonion said:

Judging the game before getting to the first dungeon is kinda premature, you know.

Ragus said:
I don't mind loosing HBC. I only want my wii not to be bricked.

It won't brick it, but it might put it into a situation where you can't softmod it again. If you're not sure, see if you can boot it from a loader like wiiflow or cfgloader, or use priiloader or something to block disc updates.

Phenomic

Hopefully with any luck the mom and pop in my town will get their shipment today as they believed it would show up.

Finished up Assassins already in anticipation of this baby! Can't wait for it.

P.S. Is there a patch or a mandatory install or anything on the disc? Haven't heard of one, but figured I'd make sure before I did something stupid and bricked my Wii.

jarosh

hey guys, i played 3 hours, here's my score: 4/10

hey guys, i just beat the second dungeon: 10/10

hey guys, i'm now 7 hours in: 9/10

hey guys, i just killed the princess and unlocked sub-zero: 5/10

hey guys, i got bored and quit after 16 hours, my final score: 10/10

Top Bottom